Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trithne

Erudite
btw looked party members. why all human girls except albino mutant navigator are some sort of black and brown mystery meat?
_Sister-Argenta.jpg

?

I'll give you Jae and Idira, but you should be shooting them for their various crimes against humanity anyway.

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw looked party members. why all human girls except albino mutant navigator are some sort of black and brown mystery meat?
_Sister-Argenta.jpg

?

I'll give you Jae and Idira, but you should be shooting them for their various crimes against humanity anyway.
she looks like sandnegress with bleached hair. nothing wrong with it in vacuum, imperium is vast -
df6p3dj-a36f42d0-a811-4c89-8e40-b4583eef1113.png

but when everyone else is bipoc too it's very noticeable.

as i said - changing her portrait is the first thing i will do.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think it's already established in 40k that "race" isn't that big of a deal anymore, considering the massive amount of different human cultures in the Imperium.
All of humanity is united.
United in its hatred of the xeno, the mutant, the heretic.
Grimdark, right?

Reinhardt

Arcane
massive amount of different human cultures in the Imperium.
exactly. and from massive amount of different worlds. look at imperium guardsmen - some regiments are black as coal, some white as snow. and this trait usually shared by everyone in the unit.
people of imperium are different, they were not racemixing into single mutt breed for millenias.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think it's already established in 40k that "race" isn't that big of a deal anymore, considering the massive amount of different human cultures in the Imperium.
All of humanity is united.
United in its hatred of the xeno, the mutant, the heretic.
Grimdark, right?
Nah, only fanatics hate and those are maybe 1%. Others just try to survive. Even the Guardsman are more motivated by their fear of Commissars than hatred for the xeno.

Camel

Scholar
I think you can lay a lot of criticisms at the feet of WHF, but comparing it to Forgotten Realms? Really?

I suppose it depends on what you mean, exactly, but the Old World has never felt even remotely similar to Faerun to me. Between monsters like trolls that can dissolve you and/or your weapons and armour in their stomach acid if you pierce their bellies and Chaos corrupting and mutating people, including the nobility who might use wigs and masks to conceal it, inquisitors and witch hunters purging people, etc. it wasn't really going for the FR or Tolkien style thing.

WHF is a pretty dark setting that hadn't quite gotten as silly as 40k. 40k was a gonzo spin off that just pushed everything to 11 so you could have the Space Imperium fighting the Space elves and Space orkz. My main takeaway from reading WHF TTRPG stuff is that the world is screwed and it's more about how long you can delay the inevitable than actually winning. I'd say that if I was going to compare it to a D&D campaign setting, I'd probably compare it to something like Midnight which was a third party setting that basically took LOTR and assumed that Sauron won and went into what the world is like after that.
Slow decay of the world is more Wh40k thing where Imperium and the Eldar are in constant decline and they're besieged by Chaos and new emerging powers like Tau. WHFB Empire was always impregnable before the Age of Sigmar and the Elves were valiant and powerful compared to the pathetic Eldar who doomed the galaxy with their decadence.
The Empire was totally based on the Holy Roman Empire with the emperor and elector fursts. Bretonnia with the French knights and the Lady of the Lake is based on the Matter of Britain. Both WHFB and Wh40k are a mishmash of Tolkien, sci-fi and real world European mythology.

Last edited:

Aarwolf

Learned
You have your own palace on Dargonus - the capital of your empire. You can decide stuff about the planetary politics and other affairs while talking to your governor.

And just like in other Owlcat games you'll have to fight for it at least once. I really don't know how many more times I'll have to do this in this game, but seeing Big Bad Boss in my throne room made me feel like this:

cover2.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
Nah, only fanatics hate and those are maybe 1%. Others just try to survive. Even the Guardsman are more motivated by their fear of Commissars than hatred for the xeno.
They may be motivated more by their fear of commissars, but I don't doubt they treat xenos as enemies by default (even if they don't outright hate them). At least majority of them does, since the Imperium indoctrinates its people to hate the xenos, and there are so many examples of xenos themselves not being exactly friendly towards humans. If you throw in imperial propaganda to the mix - 1% is being fabulously optimistic.

Even the potential exceptions (such as the Tau) are caught in the crossfire of the Imperium battling xenos and the inevitable clash of idelogies isn't helpful in maintaining any peaceful relationships between the two forces. In fact, the core idea is that Imperium of Man is "besieged by aliens and heretics", meaning the fortress mentality is going to be rather widespread.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Hey niggers, after two weeks I am once more able to continue my Alpha playthrough.

You have your own palace on Dargonus - the capital of your empire. You can decide stuff about the planetary politics and other affairs while talking to your governor.

View attachment 32096

Other than that the planet has its own quest line centered around a possible heresy and sedition among the lesser nobility - it appears however that it might be not in the Alpha (it should trigger after you deal with both Janus and Kiva).
How's the management mini-game this time? Is it annoying like in Pathfinder, where you have to spend about 2 weeks jerking off while your kingdom burns whenever you want to level up your stats?
Do you have to use your party members as governors, or can you just recruit from a list of NPCs?

ArchAngel

Arcane
They may be motivated more by their fear of commissars, but I don't doubt they treat xenos as enemies by default (even if they don't outright hate them). At least majority of them does, since the Imperium indoctrinates its people to hate the xenos, and there are so many examples of xenos themselves not being exactly friendly towards humans. If you throw in imperial propaganda to the mix - 1% is being fabulously optimistic.

Even the potential exceptions (such as the Tau) are caught in the crossfire of the Imperium battling xenos and the inevitable clash of idelogies isn't helpful in maintaining any peaceful relationships between the two forces. In fact, the core idea is that Imperium of Man is "besieged by aliens and heretics", meaning the fortress mentality is going to be rather widespread.
They still just fear xenos and would kill them for that reason. For hate you need to go another level. Only Space Marines, Inquisitors, Sisters of Battle and such groups go beyond fear and those are at most 1% of the total imperium population (and probably more like 0.1%).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

They still just fear xenos and would kill them for that reason. For hate you need to go another level. Only Space Marines, Inquisitors, Sisters of Battle and such groups go beyond fear and those are at most 1% of the total imperium population (and probably more like 0.1%).
Ad Mech is a curious case.
On one hand, they really hate xenos and find their tech heretical.
On the other hand, as they are a bunch of technophilic monks they also really want to research alien tech, which results in a bunch of them getting branded as hereteks because they start to get the novel idea of "hey, we can use this shit."
That said, the dogmatists do have a point; some alien tech is indeed pretty dangerous. Necron tech, for example, apparently has a bunch of barely understood security features that run havok on human technology and drives tech priests insane, so it's not as if the Ad mech are as kooky as reddit makes them out to be.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
potential exceptions (such as the Tau)
:notsureifserious:

first thing fags did after learning into space - conquering human worlds.

hating and killing xenos on sight is the ONLY correct course of action.
Are there any other worlds to conquer?
oh noes! think about poor tau! you should share! for greater good and shit! or we kill you!
I am not saying Tau are good guys or anything (although common person does live better there) but your point of them immediatelly attacking human worlds is not a point because humans control only useful planets. They are surely not going to try to live on Ork, Chaos, Necron worlds. And Tyranids don't leave anything behind. And Eldar don't use planets to live on.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Necron Tomb Worlds and Eldar Maiden worlds :

Maiden worlds are probably well hidden and better defended than average imperial world. And I don't think Tau are stupid enough to settle on Necron worlds and awake them. I mean they might try it once.. :D

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

oh noes! think about poor tau! you should share! for greater good and shit! or we kill you!
I am not saying Tau are good guys or anything (although common person does live better there) but your point of them immediatelly attacking human worlds is not a point because humans control only useful planets. They are surely not going to try to live on Ork, Chaos, Necron worlds. And Tyranids don't leave anything behind. And Eldar don't use planets to live on.
Except they do try to take Ork worlds (they fight them quite often), they probably would settle on Necron worlds (Humans do, so why not Tau? Necrons tend to be dormant most of the time, so they wouldn't know) and Eldar have Maiden Worlds.
It's just that in each of those cases they have to fight for them, just as they do with the Imperium.
Necron Tomb Worlds and Eldar Maiden worlds :

Maiden worlds are probably well hidden and better defended than average imperial world. And I don't think Tau are stupid enough to settle on Necron worlds and awake them. I mean they might try it once.. :D

Fair point on Maiden worlds, but how would they know about Tomb Worlds? The whole point of a tomb world is that you don't know it's a tomb world unless you actually find the tombs or wake them up.
That's what makes necrons so scary, that at any moment a T-800 punches through your dining room floor and demands that you get off his lawn.

Reinhardt

Arcane

so humans should just gib their worlds to them? why exactly?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
your point of them immediatelly attacking human worlds is not a point because humans control only useful planets.
That is not true. Thousands of habitable planets are still empty for this or that reason.
you can't preach greater good gommunizm and build gulags on those.
How about those controlled by minor xenos races, of which there are also thousands? Maybe they could fuck off to those?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey niggers, after two weeks I am once more able to continue my Alpha playthrough.

View attachment 32096

Other than that the planet has its own quest line centered around a possible heresy and sedition among the lesser nobility - it appears however that it might be not in the Alpha (it should trigger after you deal with both Janus and Kiva).
How's the management mini-game this time? Is it annoying like in Pathfinder, where you have to spend about 2 weeks jerking off while your kingdom burns whenever you want to level up your stats?
Do you have to use your party members as governors, or can you just recruit from a list of NPCs?

There is a special screen for managing colony projects.

Colony.jpg

The governors of the planets that you own (Janus, Kiva, Dargonus) are NPCs plus sometimes there are CYOA events in which you make political decisions (for example "new strain of mutants appeared among the population, they are p. gross but seem as hard workers, what do?"). Dargonus has a larger government since its the capital of your empire, so there is a whole cabinet of people that do various things for you - again all of them are NPCs. Your party doesnt seem to be directly involved in any managerial stuff, at least in the Alpha. In general I dont find the managerial minigame to be intrusive in any way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom