Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Joyvankek

Learned
Lore wise I was never too interested in Slaanesh, but I sure as hell don't want the universe itself getting gutted and neutered, and that's what is happening to Slaanesh.
But that is only because xir is depicted as evil, and we just can't have evil trannies in this day and age, now can we?
Sometimes I forget how retarded are times we're living in.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People here gave good reasons to explain why gw made the design of Slaanesh unattractive.

As for this game, I wonder if Larian cultists will gonna like it. And if this game will end up being a BIT similar to Dark Heresy tabletop RPG. And here is a hot take. I like warhammer fantasy more than 40k.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I watched Cohh play it. It looks a game, with issues plaguing Wotr diminished and retardness brought back or below pkm level. The turnaways are excessively cartoony look (id imagine game like this should look more like pst than bg or pkm) and npcs still monologuing their ass on you. Like i d change enemy portraits from goofy 3d to black and white ink sketches on parchment or something and tone down fog and filter effects.
There are also like 3 minigames (mass effect exploration, resource and planet management and bfg mini) x Giant Map, with owlcats love for gigantism it whispers trouble.
Some things are also played too by the book like eldar part yawn farseers = idiots, gave thorpe approves.
Combat seem tad claustraphobic as happens in post nuXcom formulae (not like ja or huge operations on enemy bases that was even in unloved fallout tactics) and too many passives/buffs.
Oh right Val and Octavia are back as fighter and nuker respectively and at 3d attempt they might be at their best and least annoying. I bet on spehhswolf if he exists end up ppl favorite tho since male companions looked bland as bricks, except pasqal if that counts, but techpriests are too cute we always love them.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Combat seem tad claustraphobic as happens in post nuXcom formulae (not like ja or huge operations on enemy bases that was even in unloved fallout tactics) and too many passives/buffs.
Tabletop mechanics aside, it uses separate Movement Points and Action Points and ends up being closer to King Arthur: Knight's Tale than XCOM. Also, there can be quite a number of enemies present at the same time in a fight, but this is mitigated by the fact that enemies can die fast, which helps to give the impression of combat being very lethal (which is a good thing).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Im kinda surprised so rarely we see some kind of simultaneous or pack movement from enemies in tb, is it very hard to resolve 2 mooks at same initiative step standing near attacking same thing at once?

enemy portraits goofy 3d
i hope it's not wotr crusade tier at least?
Well some are obvious placeholders. But near classical party portraits do look goofy.

Norfleet

If you ever wonder why media has a stance of "violence good, sex bad" keep in mind that one is marketable to children and the other one is not.
I'm unclear why you would market anything to children, a demographic that explicitly does not have any income due to child labor laws.

Peachcurl

Arcane
If you ever wonder why media has a stance of "violence good, sex bad" keep in mind that one is marketable to children and the other one is not.
I'm unclear why you would market anything to children, a demographic that explicitly does not have any income due to child labor laws.
"Mom, buy that game for me moooom. Mooom i need dis! MOOOOOM MOOOOM. PLEASE? MOOOOM! .... Dad, pls buy that game for me. Mom said yes."

Norfleet

You don't have children, do you?
I do, and that's how I know they don't have any money to buy anything with. Here in Outer Bumfuckistan, there just aren't enough cars for them to steal, or people to deal drugs to, to have any money in the first place. But even then, why would a legitimate business want to knowingly accept stolen goods and drug money?

Sykar

Arcane
Lore wise I was never too interested in Slaanesh, but I sure as hell don't want the universe itself getting gutted and neutered, and that's what is happening to Slaanesh.
But that is only because xir is depicted as evil, and we just can't have evil trannies in this day and age, now can we?
Sometimes I forget how retarded are times we're living in.
Yeah we have never heard that before over the course of the past five millennia or more. Oh wait...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

You can probably chart a clear decline in western civilization the moment money grubbers discovered that the youth vastly outspend older adults on frivolous purchases, causing another shift in how media operates, one with arguably even bigger cultural impacts from when artists moved from seeking out wealthy patrons to pandering to the common man.

I can't wait for the Iliad to be retold with actors sporting zoomer hair, except zoomers probably wouldn't know what the ili-what is, or care, and their only recollection of Homer is that one bald dude from that one old, un-funny cartoon.

Peachcurl

Arcane
I do, and that's how I know they don't have any money to buy anything with. Here in Outer Bumfuckistan, there just aren't enough cars for them to steal, or people to deal drugs to, to have any money in the first place. But even then, why would a legitimate business want to knowingly accept stolen goods and drug money?
And you never buy anything for them?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You can probably chart a clear decline in western civilization the moment money grubbers discovered that the youth vastly outspend older adults on frivolous purchases, causing another shift in how media operates, one with arguably even bigger cultural impacts from when artists moved from seeking out wealthy patrons to pandering to the common man.

Seriously. Nevermind that most adult parent spending of disposable income is spent trying to get the kids to stfu about whatever they're on about. Money well spent, for that matter. :P

Norfleet

Yeah we have never heard that before over the course of the past five millennia or more. Oh wait...
Exactly. This is how we know that each successive generation is shittier than the previous. Decline is inevitable and inexorable, the march of entropy cannot be denied. It's quite well documented, and thus anyone with a basic grasp of mathematics can see it: If A < B, and B < C, then A < C.

And you never buy anything for them?
Nope. I just give them my old, surplus equipment. Plus, my kids were raised as gamers. They know better than to waste money on low-tier newbie gear that you just immediately outlevel. Just use whatever drops to grind through to endgame. And everyone knows that your earnings aren't shit until you hit level cap and can start doing endgame economy things.

Peachcurl

Arcane
Nope. I just give them my old, surplus equipment. Plus, my kids were raised as gamers. They know better than to waste money on low-tier newbie gear that you just immediately outlevel. Just use whatever drops to grind through to endgame. And everyone knows that your earnings aren't shit until you hit level cap and can start doing endgame economy things.
Good for you. It'll shock you to hear that other people buy stuff for their kids, in some cases after being prompted to do so by those very same kids.

Norfleet

Good for you. It'll shock you to hear that other people buy stuff for their kids, in some cases after being prompted to do so by those very same kids.
Spoiled little shits they are. In my day, all we had was jagged metal and broken glass, and then they took away all our metal to use for the war. No wonder kids these days are all awful. I don't buy my kids anything, I just turn them loose in the woods to grind XP murdering the local wildlife, and tell them to just use whatever drops. That's the gamer way: Assign them a quest to bring you 10 squirrel asses. Then once they have all the squirrel asses, it's time for the crafting system tutorial.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spoiled little shits they are. In my day, all we had was jagged metal and broken glass, and then they took away all our metal to use for the war. No wonder kids these days are all awful. I don't buy my kids anything, I just turn them loose in the woods to grind XP murdering the local wildlife, and tell them to just use whatever drops. That's the gamer way: Assign them a quest to bring you 10 squirrel asses. Then once they have all the squirrel asses, it's time for the crafting system tutorial.
Ah. So you were raising men. I understand now.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

make sure no matter what your kids say to you, it always leads to the same outcome.

Norfleet

How very popamole of you. No, they should learn that life has choices and consequences. I think I might have taught the little shits to be lawyers, since they've gotten real good at picking through exact wording. You gotta watch yourself with them.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, you're the one who raised them on crafting. I thought you wanted to go with the times. Also they should learn that midgets don't have a racial bonus to identifying stonework or pickpocketing, and tall lanky dudes aren't better than anyone else at talking to trees. Such stereotypes are harmful.

However, they should absolutely learn how to kite fat bullies on the way home from school.

Norfleet

They don't actually go to school. I teach them through the vidya instead. First, there's not much of a school in Outer Bumfuckistan. Second, I'm not here to raise COMMIES.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are also like 3 minigames (mass effect exploration, resource and planet management and bfg mini) x Giant Map, with owlcats love for gigantism it whispers trouble.

The main problem is that the minigames are too dissociated from the gameplay.

This game has a ship space combat but fells gimmicky and separated from the main game. UnderRail expedition in other hands did naval combat right and you can use your psi powers and some like Cryogenic Barrier are quite good in naval combat

Same with the city building in kingmaker. You can build lots of different stuff and take decisions, but very few impact even the visual of your city. NWN2 OC did the crossroad keep better. You can build an mage tower and enter there and buy stuff from a mage merchant. Every single thing that you build in the keep can be visited and interacted with it and when you need to defend, things build by you help it.

jungl

Augur
So I was playing the digimon game again was doing arena fight and my digimon got their ass kicked I didn't want to waste consumables and arena fights you don't lose anything and they don't get hurt. The game though decided to do a anime moment in this otherwise whatever moment. Protagonists wristband flashed and they fused in this dope looking nigga
dceehqt-3756a317-a00f-48f4-bd40-b22affb1f443.png

I was going to say just copy past him in 40k but gamesworkshop already did it with Krorks. Maybe add a secret krork route where you use giga chad one to destroy a adversary of the players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom