Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
as i've said - victor gonna vic. you just went your usual path. "epuc lebul mages are many research and supragenius intellect and sheeiiit. CAN I FINGER OF DEATH DRAGONS?!" "strahd is many dangerous dark lord and sheeeeiiiiit. METEOR SWARMS DUEL IN THRONE ROOM!"

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Your logic :
Flamethrower = Respectable weapon
Pyrokinesis = Pewpew, awesome button

I'm not only interested in psyker powers in this game, when more info comes mainly about weapons, I will gonna talk about it.
no, victor, it's exactly that. victor before "me wanna be many biomancy! me upgrade 'umies!" developers: "ok, here is your biomancy with 'umie upgrades!" victor: "DAFUG IZ DIS SHEEEIIIT! WHERE IZ MUH BIOMANCY PEWPEW!"
To be fair, he did ask about flesh-shaping too, not just life leeching and lightning.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
who ranted earlier how he want many biomancy to improve humanity against orkz and nids?

I din't ranted, just asked questions about the limitations of such discipline. If would be possible to make someone stronger as a SM via mutations or develop bioweapons using this discipline. And said that would be cool if you could use it in a really nasty way. Obviously a video game implementation will be far more limited than a tabletop game. Anyway, sorry about the high crime of wanting to see more interesting abilities in a highly anticipated game. This is the ultimate heresy.

, he did ask about flesh-shaping too, not just life leeching and lightning.

Not only flesh shaping, mutations, bioweapons, heal, strengthening bodies, poisoning enemies, healing and restoring limbs, all the stuff which you could do with it make very interesting and unexplored. And I was asking, not ranting. I din't knew about the unique anatomy of Orks and how resistant they would be against viruses for eg.

Anyway, I tried to bring the discussion back to weapons, hordes of enemies and other stuff but Reinhardt seems to only wanna to rant about me.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I have only put about an hour or so into it:
  • I am eager to try more of the class and ability options. I started with a fighter/divination psyker, and there are some cool crit or defensive feats.
  • Compared to KM and WotR, I find the the music and the introduction to the setting to be much improved. Furthermore, the pace feels much faster than WotR (not a complaint). You are thrown into action relatively quickly. Only complaint is that, even if you have a melee character focused character, you start with a laspistol and no melee weapon from what I can tell. Due to my lack of ballistics training, I couldn't hit shit. Perhaps the intent was to make sure the player, especially a new player, couldn't rush into an instakill situation and die in the tutorial.
  • Compared to Wotr, the companions didn't cause me to roll my eyes and/or instant skip their dialogue. The voice lines of the female pysker companion is a little off-putting to me due to the accent.
  • Core difficulty is too easy.
Understood, thank you

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
It seems you cannot move after shooting, even with Pistols.. stupid Xcom system..

You can move after shooting/attacking with specific skills - it requires a bit of knowledge of the system and proper character builds, though I understand the newcomers might be annoyed for a while before they figure things out.

Anyway, just a few quick notes after 5 hours with the beta:

- character creation is now very fleshed out, with multiple backgrounds (you can now be a psyker too - I wonder if the devs planed this all along or caved in to the people who were shouting for it) and has considerable resemblence to the PnP system (its by no means 1:1, but you get to choose stuff like the biggest triumph and darkest hour of your character, there are many homeworld options etc), not all this is implemented yet but lots of these choices will apparently have impact on gameplay outside of stat changes (I assume unique dialogue options etc)
- system for leveling up got changed quite a bit, though I will certainly need way more time in game before I pass judgement on it
- content-wise you now start at what seems to be the very start of the game and get to meet your ancestor briefly while she still lives, then start dealing with the main storyline, take over the ship as the new Rogue Trader and start fixing the ship up and getting more people onboard
- the first mini-boss that I fought whooped my ass a few times (playing on "Core" difficulty) and required a bit thinking to get done right, you need to be familiar with how the system works as I mentioned above, so learning curve for new players might be a bit steep (to be fair, devs warn you about this in the difficulty selection)

TLDR: a lot more flesh on the bones in char creation and a new leveling system. Will report back with more.
tnx, looking forward to your further feedback

lightbane

Arcane
. With psy rating of 5, we are talking about "alpha" psykers.
Akshually, it depends on the pnp game. In OG Dark Heresy, the top psykers was 6... And then the expansion book raised it up to 10+, with the strongest psykers being level 11-12, with a powerful enemy being level 14 and immune to most psychic side-effects but being mad as a hatter.
Future pnp games standarized Psy Rating from 1-10, with outliers here and there.

Seems to just have buffs, debuffs and heal.
The pnp games hated healing powers as they make combat less dangerous if you can simply knit your wounds at any time, but here they're going with standard healing spells it seems.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The pnp games hated healing powers as they make combat less dangerous if you can simply knit your wounds at any time
I'd say it's a more setting specific thing. Healing* should be a miracle of the Emperor, not something random sanctioned psyker #392 can dish out. Well, extremely gifted psykers should be capable of such feats too, as well as daemons and sorcerers, but it shouldn't be a power readily available on every planet.

*true healing, with knitting of the flesh and closing of the wounds. In-game Wounds are more like fatigue, not true injuries, so powers restoring these shouldn't be an issue. But they also shouldn't reference healing - just reinvigoration.

Camel

Scholar
Does the beta have a ton of unavoidable trash fights as in WotR?
Do the dialogues make you want to skip them?

ArchAngel

Arcane
It seems you cannot move after shooting, even with Pistols.. stupid Xcom system..

You can move after shooting/attacking with specific skills - it requires a bit of knowledge of the system and proper character builds, though I understand the newcomers might be annoyed for a while before they figure things out.
That does not make it better, nuXcom also had Run&Gun and similar feats. Fast weapons like pistols or SMGs should allow you free movement while using them by default, without a need to have special skills.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'd say it's a more setting specific thing. Healing* should be a miracle of the Emperor, not something random sanctioned psyker #392 can dish out. Well, extremely gifted psykers should be capable of such feats too, as well as daemons and sorcerers, but it shouldn't be a power readily available on every planet.
basically this. claiming "healing" happened is 100% sure way to get visit from both ecclesiarchy AND inquisition.

Reinhardt

Arcane
at least this time you kill not some random critters and babaus but spehs elves and chaos worshippers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom