Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Longes

Augur
Rogue Trader is really bloody good. There are some flaws here and there, and obviously content is unfinished, but I'm loving the game. Recorded my let's play to the end of the prologue, and it was a good time, and I intend to record at least a few hours more.

What I like the least is that the MC feels like a WotR character. There is a Chosen Energy I don't really associate with Rogue Trader. But we'll see how it goes.

Also not a lot of options to say flavorful things. Like, an Imperial Priest needs to have a lot more flowery lines and scripture quotes. I understand  why the lines are bland, but being a bland character still doesn't feel great.
I see your point, thank you!
I still haven't forgiven your people for the crime of not implementing Sister Argenta romance though :argh::argh::argh:

ChildInTime

Savant
Ship combat is still shit, not interested in running around in circles trying to hit five enemy ships for half an hour, needs a button to just skip it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Some additional comments:
  • I just finished the quest for the navigator, and so far there is a noticeable lack of acknowledgement for the PC being a psyker. I do not recall any psyker dialogue options or companion reactions, which is odd given how Idira is treated by the crew.
  • Even though I am early game, I am happy with the character progression and the pace. My characters have leveled up multiple times in just a few hours, which allowed me to already access neat abilities or feats. Even early on you can distinguish the characters/builds. WotR progression feels slow in comparison.
  • I do wish the UI on the level-up screen was larger though. It feels condensed when there is so much space on the screen.
  • I noticed that Idira's model will temporarily become stuck in a "T" pose. I think it has to do with the party navigating multiple obstacles, but I will try to reproduce it.
  • I don't care as much about romances, but I am surprised Argenta was excluded given some of the early interactions. I could see it being in character though (she is sworn to the Church, etc.).

Last edited:

ChildInTime

Savant
  • I am just finished the quest for the navigator, and so far there is a noticeable lack of acknowledgement for the PC being a psyker. I do not recall any psyker dialogue options or companion reactions, which is odd given how Idira is treated by the crew.
  • Even though I am early game, I am happy with the character progression and the pace. My characters have leveled up multiple times in just a few hours, which allowed me to already access neat abilities or feats. Even early on you can distinguish the characters/builds. WotR progression feels slow in comparison.
  • I do wish the UI on the level-up screen was larger though. It feels condensed when there is so much space on the screen.
  • I noticed that Idira's model will temporarily become stuck in a "T" pose. I think it has to do with the party navigating multiple obstacles, but I will try to reproduce it.
  • I don't care as much about romances, but I am surprised Argenta was excluded given some of the early interactions. I could see it being in character though (she is sworn to the Church, etc.).
I'm also playing a psyker and yeah, there is no acknowledgement at all. Guess it's just not finished, and you can only playtest the mechanics of the class, not the additional narrative.

hayst

Educated
  • I am just finished the quest for the navigator, and so far there is a noticeable lack of acknowledgement for the PC being a psyker. I do not recall any psyker dialogue options or companion reactions, which is odd given how Idira is treated by the crew.
Not a fan of the level up UI also. Hope it changes or sees huge improvement.

Mauman

Scholar
Rogue Trader is really bloody good. There are some flaws here and there, and obviously content is unfinished, but I'm loving the game. Recorded my let's play to the end of the prologue, and it was a good time, and I intend to record at least a few hours more.

What I like the least is that the MC feels like a WotR character. There is a Chosen Energy I don't really associate with Rogue Trader. But we'll see how it goes.

Also not a lot of options to say flavorful things. Like, an Imperial Priest needs to have a lot more flowery lines and scripture quotes. I understand  why the lines are bland, but being a bland character still doesn't feel great.
If I'm not allowed to be a bible thumping Emperor botherer* when I eventually play this game, I'm going to be VERY disappointed.

*Doesn't mean I will actually pick those choices, but I want the option there.

Longes

Augur

If I'm not allowed to be a bible thumping Emperor botherer* when I eventually play this game, I'm going to be VERY disappointed.

The three alignments are "Imperialis" (love me Emprah), "Hereticus" (love me Khaos), "Benevolentia" (I'm a Tau spy who believes in the innate value of human life).

So far I've seen two Imperialis choices - walk through the fire bolstered by your faith in the Emperor, and execute an officer who loses his shit after a bad situation.

Joyvankek

Learned
Level up UI is better than what we had in alpha.
Also did anyone know if the side activity in the Navigator station.

Btw. if you act as heretic you will start to hear voices in your head.
Or my game is bugged.

Deadass

Savant
So I downloaded the beta and first thing I see is a fucking gun in my pants bro wtf where are my fists c'mon man

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

The three alignments are "Imperialis" (love me Emprah), "Hereticus" (love me Khaos), "Benevolentia" (I'm a Tau spy who believes in the innate value of human life).

So far I've seen two Imperialis choices - walk through the fire bolstered by your faith in the Emperor, and execute an officer who loses his shit after a bad situation.

Am I alone in hating mechanics that lock mundane items behind alignments? It just feels super gamey/artificial.

Here, it's not even like you don't get the item unless you're a certain alignment (which makes some sense), but you have it in your inventory but can't equip it (which makes no sense).

Wut? Just because I did a nice thing once and didn't let some crewmembers die in a fire, doesn't mean I forgot how to put on helmets.

Joyvankek

Learned

Am I alone in hating mechanics that lock mundane items behind alignments? It just feels super gamey/artificial.

Here, it's not even like you don't get the item unless you're a certain alignment (which makes some sense), but you have it in your inventory but can't equip it (which makes no sense).

Wut? Just because I did a nice thing once and didn't let some crewmembers die in a fire, doesn't mean I forgot how to put on helmets.
It make sense when it comes to chaos artifact.
You need to be corrupted or at least rotten and power hungry, to use weapons that scream at you, or helmets that have their own eyes and give you a polite wink.
When it comes to relic of IoM... Yeah, no reason as to why you wouldn't wear it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It make sense when it comes to chaos artifact.
You need to be corrupted or at least rotten and power hungry, to use weapons that scream at you, or helmets that have their own eyes and give you a polite wink.
When it comes to relic of IoM... Yeah, no reason as to why you wouldn't wear it.

Agreed when it comes to space magic stuff like chaos weapons, SOB holy gear, or... I can't really think of anything for the nice alignment.

But literally the first alignment item I came across in my playthrough was a guardsman-looking militia helmet... which I slapped on the sister cause only she can wear it for some reason.

Longes

Augur

Or the item gives you benefit only because you believe in the meaning behind it. Like a placebo.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Downloaded the gog version of the beta. It's very underwhelming, the combat is slow, the UI is convoluted and clunky, the graphics are weird and muddy.

It's still early beta but I hope they do a 180 with the direction they are taking so far.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Played it a bit. I'm going to make this general comment on narrative, especially if devs or writers are reading - there could have been more payoff to the situation of the prologue, which resolves too quickly and without much player intervention. The whole set up is destroyed as soon as it is presented, I don't think this is too good of an idea. First of all, this is really basic but, a character death only has impact if you have time to attach yourself to them. This may be only habit that is forming a trope, in so far as every Owlcat game starts with a kind of catastrophe ; I'm really not sure why this is a necessity and, at any rate, it's starting to feel old. Also this whole situation with the various heirs could have been really interesting politically, it could have led to some hard choices ; all that tension was unfortunately tossed out the window for little payoff (only the necessities of the plot and the game seemed to have guided this). The twist of making the unsympathetic character heroic was good, but it didn't have enough time to have an impact, as with anything else. You really need some more breathing here.

Also, please write more concisely. Thanks.

Just being funny about that last one, I know this will never change.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope we get some real write-ups detailing the pros/cons of the game once people are done playing. Would like to see not only some actual feedback but also whether or not I should be excited/optimistic about the games release.

Also, the Codex is supposed to be some super based/intellectual forum when it comes to the discussion of cRPGs. Here we have a dev from a rather upscale gaming studio actually interested in feedback, and so far most of it has been extremely basic/surface level. Why the fuck will anyone take us seriously if this is the kind of "analysis" and "insight" we have to offer? Especially since no other forum drops the hard R at the start or end of their words. Let me see something that makes me "proud (lol) to be a Codexer for fucks sake.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also, the Codex is supposed to be some super based/intellectual forum when it comes to the discussion of cRPGs.
1685827847382.png

Here we have a dev from a rather upscale gaming studio actually interested in feedback, and so far most of it has been extremely basic/surface level.

But more seriously, it's only been a few days since the Beta dropped and contrary to what you'd believe, a lot of people here are adults with lives. Give it a while and I'm sure some people will write lengthier posts that get a lot of TL;DR ratings.

Also the 2A thing apparently is keeping people away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Played it a bit. I'm going to make this general comment on narrative, especially if devs or writers are reading - there could have been more payoff to the situation of the prologue, which resolves too quickly and without much player intervention. The whole set up is destroyed as soon as it is presented, I don't think this is too good of an idea. First of all, this is really basic but, a character death only has impact if you have time to attach yourself to them. This may be only habit that is forming a trope, in so far as every Owlcat game starts with a kind of catastrophe ; I'm really not sure why this is a necessity and, at any rate, it's starting to feel old. Also this whole situation with the various heirs could have been really interesting politically, it could have led to some hard choices ; all that tension was unfortunately tossed out the window for little payoff (only the necessities of the plot and the game seemed to have guided this). The twist of making the unsympathetic character heroic was good, but it didn't have enough time to have an impact, as with anything else. You really need some more breathing here.

Also, please write more concisely. Thanks.

Just being funny about that last one, I know this will never change.
While I agree the prologue resolves fairly quickly, I think Owlcat's approach is beneficial with respect to replayability. Beyond the first playthrough, what function does a prologue serve other than busy work? Here, the galaxy map is open to the player relatively quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom