Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

lightbane

Arcane
The pnp games hated healing powers as they make combat less dangerous if you can simply knit your wounds at any time
I'd say it's a more setting specific thing. Healing* should be a miracle of the Emperor, not something random sanctioned psyker #392 can dish out. Well, extremely gifted psykers should be capable of such feats too, as well as daemons and sorcerers, but it shouldn't be a power readily available on every planet.

*true healing, with knitting of the flesh and closing of the wounds. In-game Wounds are more like fatigue, not true injuries, so powers restoring these shouldn't be an issue. But they also shouldn't reference healing - just reinvigoration.
I don't remember if there were "miracle powers" that healed in the pnp games, but they're easy to justify. Healing with psychic powers is an interesting case. In some cases, it healed just fine but it came at the expense of risking getting corruption points, or even cause further damage. In others it can heal just fine EXCEPT for critical damage, which it seems to be the case here. In others like Regeneration, it's slow healing, but it can heal anything.

Wounds is also a weird system where as long as you don't hit 0, you're fine but, the moment you get critical damage, you're at risk of losing limbs and, what's worse, having your critically wounded character indisposed for some time, which works fine after an adventure but not during it. The idea is that your characters get abilities that makes them always count as "lightly wounded", such as the Autosanguine Talent, which IIRC lets you have magical nanomachines that ensure that you're always lightly wounded even if you're missing a hand, your skin is peeling off and you're bleeding heavily, as you can be patched up with little issue and keep going ala 90s action movie hero.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does the beta have a ton of unavoidable trash fights as in WotR?
Do the dialogues make you want to skip them?

Seems like yes, but you can kill them quickly hence they aren't a problem imo.

People say that Underrail has "bad" dialogue, when in reality it's fantastic. We'll see.

Who said that? I loved dialog in this game.

*true healing, with knitting of the flesh and closing of the wounds. In-game Wounds are more like fatigue, not true injuries, so powers restoring these shouldn't be an issue. But they also shouldn't reference healing - just reinvigoration.

I see. Is just that I've read this in the dark heresy core rulebook - page 170 :

nISpnfu.png

But this is the PEAK, not the bottom of the "discipline". This game would't include the tons of different injury types from Dark Heresy. Because would be too complicated. In DE, a single shot and you can lose a limb and have to use bionics for the rest of charname's life.

----------------------

Other question. The new SM companion. Does anyone here has screenshot of his stats? I'm curious about him.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
People say that Underrail has "bad" dialogue, when in reality it's fantastic. We'll see.
Underrail's writing (dialogue and in general) is indeed quite bad at first. The worst of it is front-loaded, it feels like they got much better at it as they went along. Unfortunately the first impression is usually a lasting one.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3685679532805080156
Update 0.2.1af is live for Rogue Trader Beta!

47d26efd6323b1f9209d29a9a90c916b595fbcd8.png

Update 0.2.1af is live. Beware of possible spoilers below!

Changelog:

Performance & Stability:
  • Character generation and first dialogue now works properly for systems with 8 GB RAM or less. Please note that the game is not yet optimized for 8 GB RAM or less, so issues with performance may appear;

Space combat:
  • Ship HP upgrade now properly persists through save/load.

Areas:
  • Fixed an issue in the Lower Decks during Abelard's quest, which prevented the player from leaving the location;
  • On the Upper Decks, in some cases the combat started too early, resulting in inability to move further or reach some of the enemies - fixed;

Harthwain

Magister
Despite the....colorful people here, it's still probably the sanest location to talk about this kind of thing.
Sanest is not a good word. I'd rather say you're more likely to find people here who have more experience in RPGs than your usual casual player who sometimes plays RPGs. Then again, you can also run into very opinionated people who might happen to be on the opposite sides (the extrema) and not give you an objective evaluation and focus on their particular likes or dislikes.

That said, the assessment of dialogue is largely up to individual taste so it's even more prone to fluctuations. I mean, we had some people here who disliked writing in Disco Elysium (because it was "purple prose" or "too pretentious" for them), while a vast majority thought it was great (both here and everywhere else). We also had people who hated (or at least disliked) writing in Baldur's Gate or Fallout, while at the same time there were people who found it to be OK/passable/serviceable.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail's writing (dialogue and in general) is indeed quite bad at first. The worst of it is front-loaded, it feels like they got much better at it as they went along. Unfortunately the first impression is usually a lasting one.
Like I said, a fucking idiot.

Now I'm supposed to take this guys word that Rogue Trader has bad writing?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Also, while assessing dialogue is largely up to individual taste, that doesn't mean that dialogue cannot be accurately assessed. Assessing Literature, Art, and Music all depend on a person's individual taste to name a few examples, but some assessments are good while others are complete dog shit. People that claim a game has shit writing can almost never substantiate what is shit about the writing. As much as I like dunking on Kwan, I am fairly certain at this point that proper literary analysis is something that people in general struggle with, and it's a shame that the social sciences waste their time researching shit that doesn't matter instead of things like this which are actually interesting and useful.

Skorpion

Educated
Played through the opening up to the point you become the Rogue Trader before I stopped for the night.

-character creation was much simpler than WotR but in a streamlined way, much less to choose from
-UI is beautiful and pulls me into the setting
-camera can be clunky because of some many tall objects, can be fiddly to get an angle sometimes where I can see what Im doing
-music is alright, hasnt stood out like previous titles but never annoyed either, kind of expected something more bombastic but its fairly muted in approach
-dialogue is fine, fits the setting but nothing stood out as great or horrible so far, not far into the game though so will have more thoughts later
-level up system is a bit weird, had to back out and redo it a few times as it would pull up wrong trees for characters sometimes (I would get a fighter tree and couldnt level up until I backed out and did it again to get the adept/marksman etc tree to show up)
-graphics are fine but everything feels a bit 'fuzzy' or slightly blurry for some reason
-bolter sounds are great, other weapon sounds feel very off though las guns and melta guns in particular sound anemic

Real basic opinions I know but just wanted to get them down.
Plan to play a lot more tonight so will give further impressions this weekend but overall it feels like its going in a good direction to me at this early stage.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey Infinitron what's with this two-factor age-discrimination?

I've been good and sparse in this thread. Give a man a break before I lose a password or code or some shit.

Harthwain

Magister
Also, while assessing dialogue is largely up to individual taste, that doesn't mean that dialogue cannot be accurately assessed.
Well, you have two examples of how Codex evaluates writing - one is Disco Elysium, second is Pathfinder (both games). Other than that I don't really recall people doing much of an analysis of the writing. And even then it's largely done as a response to people who have no clue what they're saying (aka "It's a commie propaganda!", for example).

I would say YouTube is the place where you can get some in-depth analysis of the plot, the writing and the like (at least in my experience). You could start by finding a well-established WH40K lore fan and check if he did or intends to do this kind of review (not just as a game, but as an adaptation of the setting). Or just sift through some searches related to writing.

Edit:

Although, to be fair, I think Parsimonious cook was doing some proper informational posts in the past ( :salute: ). There was some other guy, too, but I think he was more into PnP tabletop business?

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Well I finally got into the game, and it's definitely is an Owlcat game, with all the good and bad things that come with that. If you can imagine the Pathfinder games with a 40k flavor and ruleset, this is it.

Regards to writing, I'm probably one of the biggest snobs on this forum and the writing here so far is decent... with the caveat of "if you like Owlcat's writing." As far as I can tell, this game has the same exact writing team/style as the Pathfinder games, but dipped in Warhammer.

In an optimistic vein, I think this may turn out to be Owlcat's best game. Certainly if you like their previous work, Rogue Trader appears to be an improvement.

Skorpion

Educated
Also, while assessing dialogue is largely up to individual taste, that doesn't mean that dialogue cannot be accurately assessed.
Well, you have two examples of how Codex evaluates writing - one is Disco Elysium, second is Pathfinder (both games). Other than that I don't really recall people doing much of an analysis of the writing. And even then it's largely done as a response to people who have no clue what they're saying (aka "It's a commie propaganda!", for example).

I would say YouTube is the place where you can get some in-depth analysis of the plot, the writing and the like (at least in my experience). You could start by finding a well-established WH40K lore fan and check if he did or intends to do this kind of review (not just as a game, but as an adaptation of the setting). Or just sift through some searches related to writing.

Edit:

Although, to be fair, I think Parsimonious cook was doing some proper informational posts in the past ( :salute: ). There was some other guy, too, but I think he was more into PnP tabletop business?
Yes lets all turn to youtube for our information. Fuck off with your bromance replies to this guy in every thread everywhere.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Edit:

Yes lets all turn to youtube for our information. Fuck off with your bromance replies to this guy in every thread everywhere.
You're retarded. He cited YouTube as a source of information, no where did he claim that we should always turn to it, nor should we turn it for all information. Whatever I might say/think about Harthwain, at least he's capable of staying on topic thread to thread without chimping out. This is a virtue not because of some kumbaya bullshit, but because threads would quickly devolve into unreadable messes if everyone fought every time they saw one another. As an example, I brofisted your post above even though you're a dipshit, because it was a good post and relevant to the thread. I would and I believe have positively rated/responded to some of Harthwain's posts in other threads. Not shocked the concepts I am describing here are difficult for you to grasp.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Edit:

You're retarded. He cited YouTube as a source of information, no where did he claim that we should always turn to it, nor should we turn it for all information. Whatever I might say/think about Harthwain, at least he's capable of staying on topic thread to thread without chimping out. This is a virtue not because of some kumbaya bullshit, but because threads would quickly devolve into unreadable messes if everyone fought every time they saw one another. As an example, I brofisted your post above even though you're a dipshit, because it was a good post and relevant to the thread. I would and I believe have positively rated/responded to some of Harthwain's posts in other threads. Not shocked the concepts I am describing here are difficult for you to grasp.
stop derailing thread, nigger.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Played through the opening up to the point you become the Rogue Trader before I stopped for the night.

-character creation was much simpler than WotR but in a streamlined way, much less to choose from
-UI is beautiful and pulls me into the setting
-camera can be clunky because of some many tall objects, can be fiddly to get an angle sometimes where I can see what Im doing
-music is alright, hasnt stood out like previous titles but never annoyed either, kind of expected something more bombastic but its fairly muted in approach
-dialogue is fine, fits the setting but nothing stood out as great or horrible so far, not far into the game though so will have more thoughts later
-level up system is a bit weird, had to back out and redo it a few times as it would pull up wrong trees for characters sometimes (I would get a fighter tree and couldnt level up until I backed out and did it again to get the adept/marksman etc tree to show up)
-graphics are fine but everything feels a bit 'fuzzy' or slightly blurry for some reason
-bolter sounds are great, other weapon sounds feel very off though las guns and melta guns in particular sound anemic

Real basic opinions I know but just wanted to get them down.
Plan to play a lot more tonight so will give further impressions this weekend but overall it feels like its going in a good direction to me at this early stage.
Thank you. Character generation is still under development though and lacks a lot of features yet
Well I finally got into the game, and it's definitely is an Owlcat game, with all the good and bad things that come with that. If you can imagine the Pathfinder games with a 40k flavor and ruleset, this is it.

Regards to writing, I'm probably one of the biggest snobs on this forum and the writing here so far is decent... with the caveat of "if you like Owlcat's writing." As far as I can tell, this game has the same exact writing team/style as the Pathfinder games, but dipped in Warhammer.

In an optimistic vein, I think this may turn out to be Owlcat's best game. Certainly if you like their previous work, Rogue Trader appears to be an improvement.
Our team has put a lot of effort into reflecting the atmosphere of Warhammer in the dialogues. Glad you like it.

Longes

Augur
Rogue Trader is really bloody good. There are some flaws here and there, and obviously content is unfinished, but I'm loving the game. Recorded my let's play to the end of the prologue, and it was a good time, and I intend to record at least a few hours more.

What I like the least is that the MC feels like a WotR character. There is a Chosen Energy I don't really associate with Rogue Trader. But we'll see how it goes.

Also not a lot of options to say flavorful things. Like, an Imperial Priest needs to have a lot more flowery lines and scripture quotes. I understand  why the lines are bland, but being a bland character still doesn't feel great.

Desiderius

Patron
Our team has put a lot of effort into reflecting the atmosphere of Warhammer in the dialogues.

Imperial Priest needs to have a lot more flowery lines and scripture quotes
How hard can it be for Owlcat to dig up some Old Believers or at least a Tolstoy/Dostoyevsky scholar in the backwoods of Rusland? If the Cross burns your Californication too much do something with the Altai or whatever.

Longes

Augur
How hard can it be for Owlcat to dig up some Old Believers or at least a Tolstoy/Dostoyevsky scholar in the backwoods of Rusland? If the Cross burns your Californication too much do something with the Altai or whatever.
I mean. Realistically, it's because all reactivity comes at a cost and having custom lines for every character origin gets exponentially more expensive. I understand why it is how it is. I'm still going to complain about it though.

lightbane

Arcane
So, for those who played this: What happens when one or more of your guys gets their wounds to 0? Do they kneel over and die? Are they KO'ed instead? Do they get critical damage that is actually cosmetic (until you get enough of it and die horribly)?
I assume it's the last case, as having the full wound system along with cybernetic replacements for a PC adaptation is unlikely.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Rogue Trader is really bloody good. There are some flaws here and there, and obviously content is unfinished, but I'm loving the game. Recorded my let's play to the end of the prologue, and it was a good time, and I intend to record at least a few hours more.

What I like the least is that the MC feels like a WotR character. There is a Chosen Energy I don't really associate with Rogue Trader. But we'll see how it goes.

Also not a lot of options to say flavorful things. Like, an Imperial Priest needs to have a lot more flowery lines and scripture quotes. I understand  why the lines are bland, but being a bland character still doesn't feel great.
I see your point, thank you!

Desiderius

Patron
I mean. Realistically, it's because all reactivity comes at a cost and having custom lines for every character origin gets exponentially more expensive. I understand why it is how it is. I'm still going to complain about it though.
You've got to hire writers one way or another. It's a simple matter of hiring ones who have some passing familiarity with the shit they're writing about, especially for characters from diverse, exotic cultures outside the comfort zone of the core team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom