Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I opted in on this just in time for the beta.

It's entertaining so far, not more. The dialogues are competently written, and the many scripted events give it a bit of a cinematic feel. My biggest complaint so far would be that both the writing and the art style are way too generic. It just feels like a rushed game, as if conceptualized after reading some Warhammer source material and cobbling together another game in the Owlcat series. Also, many non-choices in dialogue with little branching. I hope this is something that changes in the full release, as it makes going through dialogue a bit of a chore.

Combat is ok, not more. I'm not familiar with the PnP, but what is offered here, feels like a slightly improved Shadowrun game.

Overall I don't regret my purchase, but it's probably not gonna be a classic.

Edgetard

Educated
So far so good games buggy as fuck but I like how its got the 40k vibe to it (going down an imperialis first then occasional not a complete asshole path so dont know how fucked up you made the chaos path)
combats easy turnbased is always easy to cheese
now for the companions
I'm surprised I dont hate the voodoo priest for being an annoying diversity hire like I thought I would but rather I hate her for the 40k reason that shes a fucking batshit witch who is fucking with shit SHE REALLY FUCKING SHOULDNT (you guys had to have know wed hate her either way)
love argenta (the orphans mission is good but considering im a commissar I should have the character choice of saying I too am an orphan)
officer whats his face is decent has a stick up his ass but decent doesnt stand out then again some characters dont need to
havent dealt too much with gilded cage girl (saw that "subtle" terrain piece and threw up immediately) seems like an interesting character but that may just be from her status as the navigator and not a character
just got the robot man seems cool
and yes Im still fucking mad IM STILL FUCKING MAD
e4e7e27adf3044d8315151f0b425a9af0071b651.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
Agreed when it comes to space magic stuff like chaos weapons, SOB holy gear, or... I can't really think of anything for the nice alignment.

But literally the first alignment item I came across in my playthrough was a guardsman-looking militia helmet... which I slapped on the sister cause only she can wear it for some reason.
This reminds me of... Fallout, I think? You could use items you weren't proficient with, but with some massive penalties.

This could work the same here. Make weapons "blessed" by Chaos usable from get-go, but in order to unlock its full potential you'd have to actively work towards increasing your corruption. Hell, the weapon itself could start giving you "quests" to that end! Equiping (or using) the weapon alone should also corrupt you. Although this ought to be one-time occurrence, otherwise players would abuse it to get max Chaos alignment quickly.

Something similar could apply to blessed ones, only the quests to increase your zeal/faith could come from the clergy (or other highly religious individuals), which would "tune you in" with the Emperor's presence, meaning unlocking more features for a blessed weapon (similar to Chaos, although I'd argue that Chaos weapons ought to have stronger benefits due to how risky it is to be on Chaos' side).

Normal gear could work with normal stats (strength, constitution, etc.).

Edgetard

Educated
Agreed when it comes to space magic stuff like chaos weapons, SOB holy gear, or... I can't really think of anything for the nice alignment.

But literally the first alignment item I came across in my playthrough was a guardsman-looking militia helmet... which I slapped on the sister cause only she can wear it for some reason.
This reminds me of... Fallout, I think? You could use items you weren't proficient with, but with some massive penalties.

This could work the same here. You could use weapons "blessed" by Chaos (and it would slightly corrupt you), but in order to unlock its full potential you'd have to actively work towards increasing your corruption. Hell, the weapon itself could start giving you "quests" to that end!

Something similar could apply to blessed ones, only the quests to increase your zeal/faith could come from the clergy (or other highly religious individuals), which would "tune you in" with the Emperor's presence, meaning unlocking more features (similar to Chaos, although I'd argue that Chaos weapons ought to have stronger benefits due to how risky it is to be on Chaos' side).

Normal gear could work with normal stats (strength, constitution, etc.).
Chaos gear should be chaos only since you cant have the "risk of joining chaos mechanic" as joining chaos is a path in the game rather then a punishment

Harthwain

Magister
Chaos gear should be chaos only since you cant have the "risk of joining chaos mechanic" as joining chaos is a path in the game rather then a punishment
So it's just choice-based, not meter-based (like it was in Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising)? Shame. It was a perfect opportunity to display corruption as a gradual process and incorporate it into the game organically (by offering somewhat hidden Chaos quests. Hidden, because it would require of you to start using Chaos-tained artifacts).

Edgetard

Educated
So it's just choice-based, not meter-based (like it was in Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising)? Shame. It was a perfect opportunity to display corruption as a gradual process and incorporate it into the game organically (by offering somewhat hidden Chaos quests. Hidden, because it would require of you to start using Chaos-tained artifacts).
its how they choose to do it sadly treating chaos as a legit option path rather then the path of damnation it really is (should have been a you fucked up path rather then what it currently is)
dont know how they treat that path yet havent had the chance to check it out maybe they get the vibe right at least (event horizon tier fucked up shit )

Vatnik Wumao
Also not a lot of options to say flavorful things. Like, an Imperial Priest needs to have a lot more flowery lines and scripture quotes. I understand  why the lines are bland, but being a bland character still doesn't feel great.
I see your point, thank you!
Same should apply for the Forge World backgrounds. It would be great if you could be a worshipper of the Omnissiah and have that reflected in background-dependent dialogue options (particularly in your interactions with Pasqal and other AdMech-affiliated NPCs).

Skorpion

Educated
Few impressions from getting a couple more hours in this weekend.
Went to get navigator, I have to say the whole place made no sense.
Some of the clues and writing in the notes was suitably creepy but was so vague to me that I just chose not to believe the guy at the elevator and went in after killing him.
Immediately meet the other person in her room and hes like no you cant take her so I had to kill him also... uh ok
Then shes like, oh everyones dead, I will go with you.
So all in all this quest section made little to no sense and had little to no reactivity to my choices but perhaps I missed stuff?
Next I got called below decks, is it abuse of the workers or do we have mutineers on the Bounty Mr Christian!?
Now this little sub-plot was quite interesting.
First some mere Lt. barges onto my deck and is saying things are going bad below decks. I decided to look into it because although my seneschal seems a good guy he did kind of let pirates get to the bridge and take out the last Rogue Trader.
Not on my watch!
So down in the under decks with the plebs one of them throws things at my senschal, I resisted the urge to have them shot on the spot and listened to the problems.
Seems my man here was just going to kill anyone that had issues even if they were legit. While I appreciate the need for discipline this seemed like it would only foment further mutinies so I told them things would be a bit better for them, but they couldnt have weapons or self-police.
In return they had to hunt out any remaining rebels/cultists etc and report them!

Now this little sub-plot while really quick (because I didnt get into combat but diplomated my way through it) was very interesting. It set the tone for my leadership style, it let me discuss it with my seneschal and he even had greater respect for me because of my decisive choices despite them not being his first plan. Well done!
Lot of glitches (mainly graphical/menus needing to be backed out of and gone back into) but nothing game breaking. I did get stuck in one area not being able to leave despite clicking on the exit icon. A simple save and reload fixed it.
Not much else to say, busy weekend with life and all but I hope to sink in some more hours tomorrow!

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Owlcat_Eyler Amending to my previous statement - the orphan event after the prologue was fantastic, and is what I would love to see more of.
Got it, ty
Some additional comments:
  • I just finished the quest for the navigator, and so far there is a noticeable lack of acknowledgement for the PC being a psyker. I do not recall any psyker dialogue options or companion reactions, which is odd given how Idira is treated by the crew.
  • Even though I am early game, I am happy with the character progression and the pace. My characters have leveled up multiple times in just a few hours, which allowed me to already access neat abilities or feats. Even early on you can distinguish the characters/builds. WotR progression feels slow in comparison.
  • I do wish the UI on the level-up screen was larger though. It feels condensed when there is so much space on the screen.
  • I noticed that Idira's model will temporarily become stuck in a "T" pose. I think it has to do with the party navigating multiple obstacles, but I will try to reproduce it.
  • I don't care as much about romances, but I am surprised Argenta was excluded given some of the early interactions. I could see it being in character though (she is sworn to the Church, etc.).
I see, thank you!

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yo, yo, yo, what up niggaz, Parsimonious cook here reporting straight outta Koronus Expanse.

So as far as the new leveling system goes, here is what it looks like:

Doctrine.jpg

The "doctrines" are basicaly separate skill trees, you can select one on character creation and additional one becomes available once you reach particular level. Every time you level up you get to choose from the options available at that level (usually a stat raise + a new talent/skill). I still havent decided whether I like more than the Alpha version, it looked somewhat confusing at first, but I guess that I am getting used to it after some 10 hours now.

I should mention the newly introduced alignment system as well:

Morality.jpg

Its a clasic thingy where you get points in one of the three options depending on your dialogue choices. Imperialis means being a hard ass orthodox dude, who solves most problems by executing people, but also acts in highly formal way when dealing with others, Hereticus - well its for being "open minded" and lenient to criminals, heretics etc, Benevolentia on the other hand is for being a chill dude who tends to act "normal" when dealing with others, not being extremely strict on the matters of protocol and being a goody two shoes every now and then. Points eventually unlock various new traits for your character. It seems that that the alignment of your companions is static, but perhaps this might change later (something like what they did in KotOR 2 with the possibility to influence your companions would make sense here).

Characters now suffer wounds in combat, which under some circumstances give permanent debuffs until you return to your ship. This means that getting downed in combat is now penalised quite a bit a medkits become more useful.

When it comes to combat, a significant change is a deployment phase, which is available unless you get surprised (IIRC, I got surprised only once so far):

pre-deployment.jpg

This is an OK feature, I have no problems with it.

Content-wise, I am about to finish the first star system that you find yourself in after taking control of the ship (am about to find Heinrix and add him to the crew). Pretty decent stuff overal, Casias origin mission was perhaps a bit too short and perhaps isnt feature complete
You have to create a "control rod" to access her chamber at the Navigator station, you find documents and various items, that seem to be necessary to create the rod and there is a machine which would seem to require you to place the components into various slots, but it is not possible to use, instead you just click on "create control rod and it gets done.

The prison colony mission was also a bit short, but it nicely introduces certain chaos artefact that the cult you are up against in the main storyline uses to do various rituals, so as a tutorial for fighting them in the future, it does its jobs well.

The warzone where you look for Heinrix is already much bigger, maps are p. gud, plus you also meet Pasqal there:

Warzone.jpg

There are some nice encounters - you also fight the cultists using the artefact you saw in the prison colony - the fight can be p. rough unless you deal with the artefact ASAP, demons are not easy to deal with with the low level gear you have at this point:

Monster.jpg

The most dangerous enemy remains the fire however. Just like in the table top:

FIRE.jpg

The DoT that fire does to characters (as well as to enemies of course) is brutal. Brings back the memories of GMing the FFG 40K RPGs, where the experinced players would always come loaded with large numbers of incendiary grenades - setting even the toughest monsters on fire was probably the most efficient way of killing them. A word of advice - if you see a dude with flamer runing at you, fucking shoot him with all you have!

Special mention goes to Pasqal and his Omnisian axe, it now has a cool graphical effect for its AoE attack, which makes smacking enemies with it even more satisfying.

I am looking forward to seeing what the space combat is like in the beta, will report on it soon.

Edgetard

Educated
Holy fuck this chaos artifact i jusy picked up is busted 4 wounds 10 toughness and 1 wound healed per level of heretic per turn

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Holy fuck this chaos artifact i jusy picked up is busted 4 wounds 10 toughness and 1 wound healed per level of heretic per turn

You will destroy this artifact or if you can't do it, give it to the inquisition, right?

Anyway, I hope that chaos in this game is tempting and tries to lure the PC offering power and subtle way and this artifact which heals also comes with mutations. And not something stupid like "hey, by no reason I decided to enter a building with a very large "Cult of Tzeentch" sign and signed the deal and did the baptism openly for everyone in the Imperium to see"

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I do admit to having a giant hard on for Argentinia or whatever her name is because the bolter shreds early game enemies.

Also regarding Cassia's recruitment quest:

Bro, you and 15 dudes came down in an elevator and the bad guy just lets you disembark and get in hiring positions to drop his ass. What a swell guy, probably should've sided with him in the first place.

:-D:-D:-D:-D

Aarwolf

Learned
Sudden spike in crashes on Kiava Gamma is brutal. I can't finish one fight, game crashes non-stop. I didn't have any performance issues while in alpha, nor in beta (aside from frame drops here and there), but now i hit the wall. I know that I'm not the only one, many people are reporting this issue on discord or reddit.

Owlcat_Eyler

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Feels like fighter outperform all Class right now or maybe its bugged or something

The old dude can cover the whole map in 2 turns and kill any high threat ranged enemy

Due to how melee works, they are still the best defense against big melee demons/spawn/alien best anyway

Skorpion

Educated
My MC is a gun bro (blanking on the class name) alongside Argentina, hail of doom before they can get to us then the fighter does well so YMMV.
Have to say the seneschal is so far my favorite companion though, he's just so imperial I love it! Although just got Pascal and hes catching up on cool factor pretty fast.

Skorpion

Educated
Be not tempted my brother for the powers of chaos are ruinous indeed!
dont worry I shall not
Also how do i equip a multimelta? Trying to give argenta some REAL fuck you firepower
I believe you need to pick the skill on level up, could be wrong as Im still getting to grips with the game but yeah I think you need a proficiency for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom