Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trithne

Erudite
The nuLore on Squats is that they went into the galactic core and that's why they're so... squat. And they took some supercomputers with them that remember everything and built their society around these "Ancestor Cores", but the Cores need a defrag and are running really slow now so they've come out of the galactic core to find a solution.

Unlike the Eldar though, the Squats are actually descended from humans.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's the lack of intellectual maturity from the authors themselves.
Oh, the authors are basically Netflix writer rejects.

Here's a quote from ADB, a person who has massive, MASSIVE daddy issues and seems very upset his father never sexually molested him - so he takes it out on 40k characters by constantly trying to shit on the Emperor as the embodiment of the Patriarchal Ideal, while at the same time someone over at GW constantly sabotages his plans and retcons whatever he writes.

ADB-Responds-censored.jpg

Another question is, we learn about that deal as a story from Chaos "side" only(?). At least i only saw it told that way in ne book. Perhaps it is later told also from Emperor's or all-knowing narrator perspective as well. I hope not. Such things are better left ambiguous. If the former is true, this is a very good story.
Yeah, it's basically a daemon saying the Emperor made a deal with Chaos, making the whole thing biased at best, and an outright fabrication at worst. We do know the Emperor did go to the Molech Gate and enter the Warp - however, what transpired there is anyone's guess.

On the other hand, many Black Library authors, chiefly that disgusting faggot ADB, have an axe to grind with the Emperor and keep trying to "subvert expectations" by making Him into the bad guy, which then makes fans angry, which forces GW to bring some other schmuck on board to retcon the leftist retardation.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
As for why I laugh it's because they're...well...squats. DWARVES IN SPACE (who are really human more or less) and all that. It was so stupid that it wrapped back round to funny.

Space is one of the few places where this is "logical". Humans born in no gravity -> Elves, humans born in high gravity -> dwarves.
In a short story by Polish writer Jacek Dukaj titled "I.A.C.T.E." an alien race of very thin 4 meter tall humanoid appears. It's never told explicitly but the suggestion is that they are descendants of a human expedition to a low gravity planet - few hundred thousand years later. Four meter tall elves?

Camel

Scholar
Why Were Squats Removed From Warhammer 40k?
I know I shouldn't get drawn on this... but... can't... resist

Seriously, a couple of points just so you can have an informed debate based on the real reasons that Squats are no longer available. Be warned, it is going to be hard reading for people that like the Squat background.

First of all, Squats were not dropped because they were not selling well. There were then, and are now, plenty of other figure ranges that sell in the sort of % quantities that the Squats pulled down, especially when you look across all of the ranges produced by GW rather than just those for 40K.

No, the reason that the Squats were dropped was because the creatives in the Studio (people like me, Rick, Andy C, Gav etc) felt that we had failed to do the Dwarf 'archetype' justice in its 40K incarnation. From the name of the race (Squats - what were we thinking?!?!) through to the short bikers motif, we had managed to turn what was a proud and noble race in Warhammer and the other literary forms where the archetype exists, into a joke race in 40K. We only fully realized what we had done when we were working on the 2nd edition of 40K. Try as we might, we just couldn't work up much enthusiasm for the Squats. The mistake we made then (deeply regretted since) was to leave them in the background and the 'get you by' army list book that appeared. With hindsight, we should have dropped the Squats back then, and saved ourselves a lot of grief later on.

Anyway, the Squats made it into 2nd edition, and since we were doing army books for each of the races, we started to try and figure out what to do with them. Unfortunately we just couldn't figure out a way to update them and get them to work that we felt was good enough. The 'art' of working on an army as a designer is to find the thing that you think is cool and exciting about an army, and work it up into a strong theme. This 'muse' didn't strike any of us, and so, rather than bring out a second-rate product simply re-hashing the old background, we kept doing other army books instead, with stuff we did feel inspired by.

Now, while this was all going on for 40K, we were actually doing some rather good stuff for the Squats in Epic. On this scale there was a natural tendency to focus on the big 'hand-made' war machines the Squat artisans produced, and this created an army with a feel that was very different to the biker hordes in 40K. However, this tended to reinforce the problems we saw in the Squat background rather than alleviate them, underlining what we should have done with the Squats in 40K.

In the end (and it took years to really get to the roots of the problem) this led to a realisation that we were going to have to drop the Squats in their 'Squat' form from the 40K background. There was little point having a major race that we weren't willing to make an army book for, and their inclusion in the background meant that people kept asking us when we'd do a Squat Codex. Instead we decided that we'd write the Squats out of the background by saying that their Homworlds had been devoured by a Tyranid Hivefleet. This would give us the option in the future to return to making a race based on the Squat archetype for 40K. This race was given the name of Demiurg, and a certain amount of preliminary work was done to get a 'feel' for what the race would be like. At present the only hint of the Demiurg in 40K is the Demiurg spaceship for BFG. However, we do have this race 'in our back pocket' as a possible new race for 40K, or an interesting character model in Inquisitor, or whatever. So far the Demiurg have lost out to other projects, and it may be that their time never actually comes, as they will have to win through on their merits, not simply because we once made some Squat models in the past. At present, I have to say that it is more likely that they don't make the cut than do, as there is a certain prejudice these days to simply taking races from Warhammer and cross them over to 40K like we did in the early days, so it may be that the Squats/Demiurg end up remaining a footnote in the history of the 40K galaxy. Only time will tell...

I'll finish off by saying that whatever we decide to do 'officially', there is nothing stopping players with Squat armies from using them, either in Epic or 40k for that matter. There is no GW 'rule' against using old Citadel Miniatures, as long as you use them with existing army lists and in a way that won't cause confusion for other players. I recommend taking a positive stand by saying "Have you seen these cool old models? They're called the Squats and GW used to make them back in the late eighties/early nineties. I love 'em, so I count them as Imperial Guard and use them with the current rules..." Put like this I can't imagine that anyone would stop you from using your army.

Best regards,

Jervis Johnson Head Fanatic

Humbaba

Arcane
Meanwhile, outside the copium sphere:

1524864816384.jpg
Nomodel dumbass please, Fedora already made this idiotic point and it's completely justified for a Magos to use nu-nouns. It would be weirder if someone actively rejecting their own humanity used regular-ass pronouns. But your brain is so addled by idpol that you just start looking for excuses to get upset and virtue signal, much like leftoid trannies, who you're no better than.

I wish the Warhammer IP would just die already. It's so depressing seeing what the alphabetards have done to the poor boy.
Anudda nomodel jumping on the fake outrage bandwagon, many such cases, sadly. You could at the very least buy some models before you start outing yourself as a retard to the public.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Nomodel dumbass please, Fedora already made this idiotic point and it's completely justified for a Magos to use nu-nouns. It would be weirder if someone actively rejecting their own humanity used regular-ass pronouns. But your brain is so addled by idpol that you just start looking for excuses to get upset and virtue signal, much like leftoid trannies, who you're no better than.

Camel

Scholar
aQRZw72_460s.jpg

It's the lack of intellectual maturity from the authors themselves.
Oh, the authors are basically Netflix writer rejects.

Here's a quote from ADB, a person who has massive, MASSIVE daddy issues and seems very upset his father never sexually molested him - so he takes it out on 40k characters by constantly trying to shit on the Emperor as the embodiment of the Patriarchal Ideal, while at the same time someone over at GW constantly sabotages his plans and retcons whatever he writes.

ADB-Responds-censored.jpg

Another question is, we learn about that deal as a story from Chaos "side" only(?). At least i only saw it told that way in ne book. Perhaps it is later told also from Emperor's or all-knowing narrator perspective as well. I hope not. Such things are better left ambiguous. If the former is true, this is a very good story.
Yeah, it's basically a daemon saying the Emperor made a deal with Chaos, making the whole thing biased at best, and an outright fabrication at worst. We do know the Emperor did go to the Molech Gate and enter the Warp - however, what transpired there is anyone's guess.

On the other hand, many Black Library authors, chiefly that disgusting faggot ADB, have an axe to grind with the Emperor and keep trying to "subvert expectations" by making Him into the bad guy, which then makes fans angry, which forces GW to bring some other schmuck on board to retcon the leftist retardation.
The only objectively good Black Library author is Dan Abnett. I've met him at Waterstones book signing once. Lovely chap. Was happy to talk about his X-men and Guardians of the Galaxy comics even though he was supposed to just talk about his new Gaunt book. But that's the thing, he doesn't just write Warhammer. He has a wide range of books and other media that he's written. And he's not precious about it. A lot of GW employees just have this weird complex about GW "being so nice to hire me" and get really arsey if you ever critique GW. I was probably among the first ever people to experience dickhead GW staff when I frequently went to the OG shop in Hammersmith. Just after they were starting to get arsey about using "GW approved minis" in around 89-90. The same is true of the authors. Even the ones who want to virtue signal about their bullshit. They use the hobby and the fact they have a bit more influence than regular people to poorly deal with their own issues. But when they themselves are mistreated by GW they act like battered housewives "They're just doing what they need to do as a corporation, it's okay. They're so nice to me."

Robber Baron

Savant
The idle animations are still the same from the Kingmaker
And they still look awfull with that hunchback posture and using the same animation for males and females
This is beyond lazy

Also a single dude with a standard PC can make you quality CG cutscenes for your trailer or even the whole game
Why the shitty cartoon style in fucking Warhammer of all

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
:M Reusing assets and animations isis kinda cringe.

Anyway, i wonder how they going to balance melee x ranged combat now that is more than just Bows and arrows.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Okay I'll bite, I've never found any wand useful beside the hast one early one.

So what's the deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom