Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Q44KPVY_d.webp

Humbaba

Arcane
DnSg3Fa.png

Judging from this shot from the trailer this game seems to have a cover system.
Going through the PnP rulebook there do be a cover system. Probably the reason why this one's turn based only. Cover in RTWP sounds fiddly.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Shame they didn't go the Silent Storm route instead. This will probably just be an minus effect to be hit.

In PnP RT, cover protects physical locations that are hidden behind it, but can be damaged.

When you roll a %dice to attack, if the attack hits, the numbers are reversed and then that corresponds to the location your attack connects with.

The hit locations are:

01-10 Head
11-20 Right Arm
21-30 Left Arm
41-70 Body
71-85 Right Leg
86-100 Left Leg

So, for example you have a modified BS of 54 and you fire at someone hiding behind a brick wall that covers them from the chest down, meaning you can only see their arms and head. You roll a 26 which is lower than your BS so it's a hit, but the hit location becomes 62 which means the wall takes the hit and is damaged instead of the target's body.

You can also do aimed shots, but they are much more difficult to land.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mechanically speaking, the cover and other combat rules in the whole FFG 40K line were fairly good and quite deep (cover can be penetrated depending on what material it is made from and the stats of the weapon as well as ammo that is being fired, cover also degrades over time, ranged weapons can malfunction etc), so deep in fact that bad GMs often caused the players to bitch about the failure rates in shooting as well as other skill checks. The thing is that the base stats of the characters are not decisive and it is the GMs job to keep applying lots of modifiers depending on a situation (+30 to Ballistic Skill for point blank shooting - which in my experience happened in majority of times in Dark Heresy games - and such). In one game that I GMed I took the time to calculate the damage to all the cover in the room (it was inside a cult temple filled with pews, pillars and an altar, PCs and enemies were taking cover behind everything) and in the end the place looked like a tornado went through it, with almost all the stuff inside destroyed by gunfire and grenades. Keeping track of all this stuff would of course be quite simple in the cRPG format.

Especially at the Rogue Trader level of power the characters also can get their hands on all kinds of cool gear and ammo types, which open up a lot of tactical possibilities (especially gear from Into the Storm and Hostile Acquisitions sourcebooks was pretty rad), such as area denial grenades, ammo with various special effects, omniscopes and other cool gadgets... the combat could be pretty deep if they went all out on the possibilities that the PnP rules offer. The critical hit effects are also pretty cool, suppression was a thing etc...

I have to say that the combat shown in the trailer does look a bit simplistic though - we will see I guess.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

TwoEdge

Scholar
DnSg3Fa.png

Going through the PnP rulebook there do be a cover system. Probably the reason why this one's turn based only. Cover in RTWP sounds fiddly.
Could be a factor, but Dawn of War II has an excellent cover system and it's an RTS.

The Company of Heroes RTS games have useful cover as well.
Yes, I believe Relic prototyped it there and then implemented it in DoW II. I just used the example because it's also 40k.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DnSg3Fa.png

Could be a factor, but Dawn of War II has an excellent cover system and it's an RTS.

The Company of Heroes RTS games have useful cover as well.
Yes, I believe Relic prototyped it there and then implemented it in DoW II. I just used the example because it's also 40k.

Makes sense, also I completely forgot it was the same dev for each. :lol:

Drop Duck

Learned
Warhammer_-Rogue_Trader_Key-Art1.png

possible companions
Bookmark this post.

Untitled-2.jpg
: "F-filthy human p-pig!!! Ape! Mayfly! You can't comprehend how strong Eldar emotions are! You can't comprehend how much I... I don't... hate you..."

Untitled-22.jpg
: "<CHARNAME>, do you think... Do you think I'm pretty? My exotic blue skin, third eye and nimble six fingers probably make me look like a freak. Ah, I never cared about this... But since I've met you... I feel things I've never felt before."
Owlcat better include much more exotic space babes than just space elves, it's too vanilla.
Here's the art at the end that shows the companions:
FULyR3lX0AMgVpM
No boobs armor on SoB :decline:
I spy cute eldar gf! I hope they keep romance content similar to wotr.
They should improve on them and take some risks.

Drop Duck

Learned
Seriously though, what the actual fuck is this animation in the cutscenes? Offensively bad.
You must have been born yesterday if you can't appreciate the 80's cartoon throwback. It's like you have never watched Masters of the Universe. It's a prefect match with Warhammer since the same nerdy types who are into the miniatures also like classic comics and old cartoons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom