Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
True, I just think that you're looking for a deeper, nuanced perspective in a setting that often doesn't go for that. They made a mishmash of stuff blowing eachother up with stuff that would make cool art and minis to sell.
But he's correct in saying that the potential for literally anything is there. It's just not taken advantage of for the reasons you mention.

Many such cases

Humbaba

Arcane
i only need to know if i can ally and have a companion from the good guys, the tau.
I'd rather know if GW gave Owlcat some pocket change to hire consistently good voice actors and a competent director this time around. 40k games have a long tradition of very good voice acting for the most part but Kingmaker and Wrathfinder have been a bit shaky in that department. I'm especially worried about the space wolf because there's nothing worse than someone half-assing a nordic accent. Or any accent for that matter.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Give it to me straight bros. Does the fact that this is Warhammer mean that it won't be super pozzed like wotr?

I don't know anything about Warhammer except that the armor with the huge pauldrons looks retarded

Thonius

Arcane
i only need to know if i can ally and have a companion from the good guys, the tau.
I'd rather know if GW gave Owlcat some pocket change to hire consistently good voice actors and a competent director this time around. 40k games have a long tradition of very good voice acting for the most part but Kingmaker and Wrathfinder have been a bit shaky in that department. I'm especially worried about the space wolf because there's nothing worse than someone half-assing a nordic accent. Or any accent for that matter.
Thats not how GW works, they take money to alow you to make your shitty game. Duh.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If anybody wants a summary of the last 40~ pages, it's basically just this, from everybody, to everybody else. But especially to Owlcat.

If codex were an astartes chapter, it would be the angry marines, but old and out of shape.

Mauman

Learned
What's there to laugh about? They have been confirmed as being in development by GW, and we've even seen a miniature.

EDIT: They even have their Necromunda squad revealed.

Holy shit, they're actually bringing them back? :P

That's amazing.

Are they bringing back Malal? Tell me they're bringing back Malal.

As for why I laugh it's because they're...well...squats. DWARVES IN SPACE (who are really human more or less) and all that. It was so stupid that it wrapped back round to funny.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
DWARVES IN SPACE (who are really human more or less) and all that. It was so stupid that it wrapped back round to funny.
So halflings, elves and orcs in space were not stupid somehow..? That silly GW logic that squats somehow didn't make sense in the universe or were particularly silly, which resulted in them being squatted was always retarded. Pretty sure it had nothing to do with anything, and it just so happened that squats were the least selling race/somewhat unpopular. By creating artificial demand for so many years, now they can return them and make a modest profit. Create a problem - sell the solution, the oldest trick in the book.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Squats were squatted long before GW started thinking of their games in a standardised corporate manner.

And it wasn't necessarily that they were silly, and more that no one apparently had any idea what to do with them on a conceptual level. A lot of early 40k had a very authorial approach.

Technomancer

Liturgist
And it wasn't necessarily that they were silly, and more that no one apparently had any idea what to do with them on a conceptual level. A lot of early 40k had a very authorial approach.
Don't remember much about them but I thought high gravity fortress worlds were cool. Biker aesthetic was kinda off. Heard that after the squatting, they tried to refine the concept by introducing dwarf-like demiurges, another subservient tau race. Don't think it worked that well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Astra Militarum in Gladius has a dwarf unit (the ratling). They aren't actually dwarves, just mutated humans, but they do look like dwarves.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
As for why I laugh it's because they're...well...squats. DWARVES IN SPACE (who are really human more or less) and all that. It was so stupid that it wrapped back round to funny.

Space is one of the few places where this is "logical". Humans born in no gravity -> Elves, humans born in high gravity -> dwarves.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Oh, that's not even the worst part of it.

HH writers lack the talent to write adult characters, so all Primarchs come across as petulant children whining because daddy gave them a spanking.

Then there's Fabious Bile that can apparently clone Primarchs with ease, which begs the question why the Emperor didn't just clone himself an army of Primarchs instead of bothering with Space Marines.

Oh, but wait, the Emperor didn't create the Space Marines, it was the feminist moon cunts and a stronk womyn scientist called Astarte.

And he apparently didn't even create the Primarchs, but he "stole" something from the Chaos Gods after reneging on a deal they made.

I dare you to try to read the first book of the Solar War - try to count how many people in authority that aren't Primarchs or Space Marines are men.
The part about Primarch being like children, i agree very much. However I think it's not just talent that's lacking. It's the lack of intellectual maturity from the authors themselves. Alternatively it's just the way they see all their customers and lack of understanding that good literature for children/immature people aren't meant to be stupid, just readable on more than one level. Probably the reason is a little bit of both.

Some of the things you mentioned, I didn't know about, they sound bad. I only read a couple of books for the Hours Heresy series though, that's all my knowledge on the subject.

One thing i don't fully agree is Emperor making a deal with Chaos Gods and then backing out of it. Then the Chaos Gods getting all butthurt about it. Sounds legit to me. The hero (or "hero" in this case) making a shady deal with the evil and then trying to outsmart it is a known and old trope in literature. Of curse, the question is, was the writer aware of it or he just thought that it's a "cool" idea? Another question is, we learn about that deal as a story from Chaos "side" only(?). At least i only saw it told that way in ne book. Perhaps it is later told also from Emperor's or all-knowing narrator perspective as well. I hope not. Such things are better left ambiguous. If the former is true, this is a very good story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom