Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Peachcurl

Cipher
algae can color water like that
It is very convenient that alien worlds would have earth algae.

... and earth-like jungles, yeah yeah.
admit it, if this was bioware they'd be getting shit on for it
what exactly tho? 'alien worlds' looking conveniently earth-like? aliens broadly being humanoid in shape and function?

that's 99% of scifi

Codex Year of the Donut

what exactly tho? 'alien worlds' looking conveniently earth-like? aliens broadly being humanoid in shape and function?

that's 99% of scifi
99% of bad scifi

Peachcurl

Cipher
bvg706HB_1212201543021gpadd.jpg

ah, yes! I totally forgot this setting has actual elite-warrior clown troupes :lol:

certainly one of the more glaring and colorful depictions though

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

that's 99% of scifi
99% of bad scifi
but 100% of scifi is bad

Codex Year of the Donut

that's 99% of scifi
99% of bad scifi
but 100% of scifi is bad
go buy a book by Larry Niven you philistine

Codex Year of the Donut

Shadenuat

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Because 40k is well known for the use of a muted palette in its art
so in your eye, what was owlcatposted and what you posted is equal?
It's not 'equal', but the art style being too colorful somehow contradicting the lore of the setting is just a bullshit excuse to invoke. Just say that you personally don't like the art style itself and stop there, no need to invoke the lore.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I mean they both not entirely understand I think.

There are a lot of "muted" colors on old art posted, it's just those more nuanced colors surround other, bright bold colors (which are also not entirely obvious, for example red pauldron is not just red, it's some kind of scarlet). That's the whole reason why art works.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
There are a lot of "muted" colors on old art posted, it's just those more nuanced colors surround other, bright bold colors (which are also not entirely obvious, for example red pauldron is not just red, it's some kind of scarlet). That's the whole reason why art works.
Dunno, the balance of the various colors in that Eldari ruin looks fine to me. Kinda reminds me of Beyond Earth with its greens and purples.

civbeyondearth_review_b_1080.0.png

sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth_023.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't think there is anything good in this game, but what you posted is primarely grays. Brighter colors are mostly units and accents.

MuffinBun

Educated
Anyone arguing that 40K is not lowest, most retarded type of Scifi is an idiot. It is absolutely the lowest of the low. Grimderp is the only constant rule of 40k.
questionable, but in a way it mimics the lore: bunch of interesting and odd ideas held together by faith alone. I used to like settings that have lots of versatility to them, aka you can tell a variety of completely different stories, using largely different props and motives, without giving up some basic familiarity that goes with the lore and the brand that ties them. Today I'd rather describe this as a "dumpster setting". Something that allows fundamentally uncreative people to latch onto something existing; to me every new story calls for experimenting with new worlds or themes, that's the beauty of creative opportunities. A new idea should most likely equal a new world.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

that's 99% of scifi
99% of bad scifi

lemme know if you find any game that tickles your fancy, I'd be interested to play

but I'm afraid you'll remain untickled :|
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

for the record, wh40k isn't scifi, it's space fantasy.

Im making this clear, if you are gonna engage in certain fantasies(YOU KNOW VERY WELL WHICH IN THIS SETTING) we are spacing you. :D

Serus

Arcane
Patron

that's 99% of scifi
I have to admit I'd love to see more aliens and alien worlds being properly... alien.
I have to agree with Rusty here*, you'd need good proper SF for that. Not fantasy in space. In computer version. From a franchise that isn't even that good for said fantasy - when it comes to alien races.

*hey, rusty_shackleford, I even like Niven as well. I really prefer when you don't make sense - for consistency sake. The world is confusing enough without You starting to make sense and adding to my confusion.

Harthwain

Magister
I have to agree with Rusty here*, you'd need good proper SF for that. Not fantasy in space. In computer version. From a franchise that isn't even that good for said fantasy - when it comes to alien races.
I don't disagree. I wouldn't mind a properly hard sci-fi either.

Gradenmayer

Learned
A lot of pretentious sci-fi enjoyers here, who can't even tell sci-fi apart from a fantasy setting.
Dimwitted clowns, go check what sci-fi actually is before spewing your nonsense over this thread.
40K is a fantasy setting. It has things that are scientifically impossible even from a hypothetical angle: Gods fueled by faith, Warp, Magic and etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom