Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vermillion

Educated
right now it looks like a generic "cyber" setting
Can you elaborate? Inventory screen looks exactly like dataslates LOOK in 40k. Char screen on the left is clearly a scribe's tool with the two mechanical limbs scribing onto parchment. I wouldn't consider generic cyber at all.
Re: Portraits.
Are you fucking kidding? If they'd looked like that, the bitching on this thread would be endless. They'll be plenty of legitimate arguments to be had about the game but if this is all you got you're either well poisoning or genuinely retarded.

Lads it's an alpha
Wouldn't that be the release build then?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Wouldn't that be the release build then?
1670578788724.png

Peachcurl

Cipher
Can anyone say more about what's off about the art style?

1) It's not depressing

Like others have said, Diablo games are a good example where you felt NPCs cannot leave town or they will be raped to death by demons

Rogue Trader HQ seen in the video looks clean, tidy and not deteriorating (just the opposite of Diablo towns). Where is the lack of supplies? Lack of personnel? Where are injured people without limbs?

The elite (which RT belong to) live completely different lives than nearly everyone else. They can afford to keep things tidy and in good order. They are incredibly rich and powerful, why would they lack personnel and supplies (unless from some immediate conflict)? Neither Rogue Traders, nor even most Planets/Systems, are permanently and directly involved in war. I think you are taking "there is only War" thing too literal.

I'd have more problems with other locations being potentially too 'nice and clean', say Footfall. Or that hive world that was mentioned.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
old 40k lore and atmosphere absolutely drills in the futility of hope. Humanity's bright and shining future has already turned to dust, the only hope of salvation, the immortal God-Emperor, is enthroned is a sarcophagus that is hinted/outright stated to be near breaking poi
Mayhap the Owlcat style is more representative of 40k's  new lore, which has one of the God-Emperor's prodigial sons emerge from his life support sarcophagus healed and now trying to repair his Father's Imperium?

lightbane

Arcane
No matter the heights that the Rogue Trader reaches, they cannot turn back the ultimate doom that awaits their species
Unless he stumbled upon a functional STC device, moment in which humanity wins or close enough to it due how OP Dark Age tech is.

Pasqual is combat god
As expected from a techpriest PC.

Characters seem to have lots of HP compared to the pnp version where getting up to 20 Wounds was a major achievement (for reference, weapons could do 1d10+5 as an average, thus making armor and Toughness very important).
I have seen two difficulty options: core and normal. Did you see a video of somebody playing on core difficulty or was he just on normal?
It didn't specify.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Mayhap the Owlcat style is more representative of 40k's  new lore, which has one of the God-Emperor's prodigial sons emerge from his life support sarcophagus healed and now trying to repair his Father's Imperium?
Darktide is also nu-lore, and is generally more in line with 9th Edition aesthetics than this game is.
Owlcat just reused Pathfinder visuals to shave off development time, there really isn't anything else to this.

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Characters seem to have lots of HP compared to the pnp version where getting up to 20 Wounds was a major achievement (for reference, weapons could do 1d10+5 as an average, thus making armor and Toughness very important).
I have seen two difficulty options: core and normal. Did you see a video of somebody playing on core difficulty or was he just on normal?
Am also interested in seeing core, especially considering normal looks decently tough.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I play on core and in one optional fight near start of the game 3 of my characters got oneshot because i was standing out of cover and a couple of the 15+ npcs had a sniper rifle, feels lethal enough

Peachcurl

Cipher
I play on core and in one optional fight near start of the game 3 of my characters got oneshot because i was standing out of cover and a couple of the 15+ npcs had a sniper rifle, feels lethal enough
How much difference does partial cover make to mitigate that?

I don't think Robot Goldmann makes much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Might help to save the empire from the most immediate catastrophe and restore some lost military capability. The empire is still one hive fleet away from extinction. (just using this as an example, same goes for other major threats)

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Can anyone say more about what's off about the art style?

1) It's not depressing

Like others have said, Diablo games are a good example where you felt NPCs cannot leave town or they will be raped to death by demons

Rogue Trader HQ seen in the video looks clean, tidy and not deteriorating (just the opposite of Diablo towns). Where is the lack of supplies? Lack of personnel? Where are injured people without limbs?

2) The palette is too colorful

It looks like the Shadowrun games, at best

People still don't understand what a massive difference a color palette can make. Even just 2-3 properly picked colors (see Perihelion which did miracles with orange + grey)

perihelion_1.png
mazar1234_4d1e20470ef05.png

3) Environments are well-lit

I cannot stress this enough

Look what a difference a light radius can make (light radius should have been the first thing to make in the engine, if one wanted to make an isometric Wh40k game)

Ppxoemp.png

This screenshot looks more like Wh40k and its not even the same IP

It's atmospheric and scary and you don't know what's behind the next corner. Hearing monsters before you see them does wonders

_____________________________________________________________________________________-

TLDR its simple basically

The tagline of Wh40k is as follows:

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war."

War is pretty shitty and people live miserable lives

Nothing in this game looks miserable

It's not that hard to figure out, but Owlcat are retarded westernised slavs
Pretty high effort response, brofisting hard

Harthwain

Magister
Am also interested in seeing core, especially considering normal looks decently tough.
I found a video where a guy plays with core rules. I even timestamped the moment where he shows the difference between normal and core rules (56:07):

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wanted to compare other isometric Wh40k games with RT

Here's Inquisitor Martyr

39910508205_f85037940c_h.jpg
ss_50a0c224f6ab645fc3324397993289843e5d2abb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_dab35841d6bc511d6d44f4383625cfda5ecca302.1920x1080.jpg

Here's grimderp

1670517025993-jpeg.31350

combat-jpg.31352

Notice how plastic RT looks compared to Martyr

Then look at Martyr,
- blood and gore
- cold color palette! (instead of warm like RT)
- lightning completely changes the atmosphere and feel of the game

This is veeeeery basic kids stuff thats easy to understand when it comes to art. But doesn't work when you are a westernised slav and a cuck with low standards

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Owlcat just reused Pathfinder visuals to shave off development time, there really isn't anything else to this.
I don't think that's all there is to it. This is in fact a more light-hearted take on the Warhammer 40k universe (just like the original Rogue Trader edition of the Warhammer 40k tabletop game was). It's a swashbuckling space adventure where you play a powerful aristocrat with special privileges and a retinue of ~diverse~ companions.

So it's not like the content of the game is going to be super duper grimdark and the graphics won't fit. The graphics will match the content. These are the kinds of stories Owlcat likes to tell.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Maybe find a better example of Martyr's gore too.
I had a lot of trouble trying to find the gore mentioned in that comparison and eventually noticed gibbing in that jet of flame in the first image.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom