Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

lightbane

Arcane
RT and Deathwatch are games where losing limbs due injury IS actually an advantage, as Good/Best quality bionics for limbs tend to give you extra abilities, and there's no risk to being a full 'borg except for certain not-EMP grenades which are rare (and some odd Daemons specialized in possessing machines from the DH game).

Not sure if here the critical tables are applied. Do your PCs die when they reach 0 hp, or do they start getting increasingly brutal injuries?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The Pathfinder engine wasn't the best choice (visually) to represent this IP
This was a technological necessity for Owlcat
I don't get it, frankly. What does tech or engine got do with it? What stops them from using the same engine, but entirely different tiles / textures / etc?

I could buy economical reasons, or being artistically incompetent, but I just don't see the engine issue.

The engine isn't an unbeatable obstacle, you're right

but these lazy ruskies аint gonna bother with modifying the engine now lol and making new assets

Much easier to use Pathfinder assets, lighting engine, etc.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It takes time, money, and skill they don't have to adapt the Pathfinder engine to this IP and make new meshes/animations

If this is gonna look like Wh40k (actual grimdark, not grimderp), this game needs some work on color palette, lighting, gore, portraits, etc.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also looking forward to modders making this into Chapter Master 2.0. Do you get your hands on power armor in the Alpha? I hope it's OP as shit.

He's the best Warhammer 40k writer in my opinion. Added much needed humour and good writing to epicness on steroids and grimdark of the setting.
I'd say he's decent, but people kind of oversell him.

There are a few Black Library writers who are probably better "writers" in a technical/stylistic sense, but I'd say that the Cain series is one of the more memorable and consistent imo.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Here is a much simpler answer, shill

The Pathfinder engine wasn't the best choice (visually) to represent this IP

Isn't God great?
One can plug any assets into Unity. Neither engine nor renderer has anything to do with their stylistic choices.

Anyway I'm pretty sure this stuff was posted/linked to earlier in this thread or one of the Rogue Trader newsposts https://warhammeradventures.com/

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
LMAO, you can ask Pasqal to strip down for you so you can admire his bionics. No homo.

Anyway, as far as voidship mechanics go - you fly around on the map as we have already seen, there is also a separate map for the warp travel:
Warp travel.jpg

Once you enter a system, you can fly up to individual planets or other points of interest and scan them
resources.jpg

Once you do that, you reveal points of interest on the planet and if you are equipped for it, you can mine resources.

You may encounter hostile ships too:
Ship combat 1.jpg

Combat works very much like in PnP, which I very much appreaciate:

Combat 2.jpg

Your party members fulfill the command positions on the ship (like in PnP) and are able to use various "ship skills." you maneuver the ship, manage shields and fire weapons. The mechanics are simple but elegant and faithfull to the PnP system. I got nothing to coplain about here.

In PnP players often shied away from ship combat, because repairing the ship was quite a pain in the ass. I guess the process will be a bit simplyfied here...

jungl

Augur
I never found warhammer 40k to be dark but rather its residents wired differently. They don't drink soy milk but take batman bane juice instead. They do not need gratitude to go about their lives Instead they shout for the emperor leap in the air and slam down a hammer on a 12 foot space cockroach.

Camel

Scholar
LMAO, you can ask Pasqal to strip down for you so you can admire his bionics. No homo.

Anyway, as far as voidship mechanics go - you fly around on the map as we have already seen, there is also a separate map for the warp travel:View attachment 31398

Once you enter a system, you can fly up to individual planets or other points of interest and scan them
View attachment 31399

Once you do that, you reveal points of interest on the planet and if you are equipped for it, you can mine resources.

View attachment 31400

View attachment 31401

Your party members fulfill the command positions on the ship (like in PnP) and are able to use various "ship skills." you maneuver the ship, manage shields and fire weapons. The mechanics are simple but elegant and faithfull to the PnP system. I got nothing to coplain about here.

In PnP players often shied away from ship combat, because repairing the ship was quite a pain in the ass. I guess the process will be a bit simplyfied here...
This is where you'll spend half a game knowing Owlcat - ship management. :happytrollboy:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Anyway, as far as voidship mechanics go - you fly around on the map as we have already seen, there is also a separate map for the warp travel:View attachment 31398

View attachment 31399

View attachment 31400

View attachment 31401

This is where you'll spend half a game knowing Owlcat - ship management. :happytrollboy:
Every time you upgrade your ship you have to spend 2 weeks doing nothing. During which time a bunch of events happen that fucks you over. Oh, and there's a time limit
:baka:
Yeah, that mechanic in kingmaker sucked. I liked the concept, but bloody hell, that upgrade mechanic was stupid, as well as drastically limiting who you can have as an advisor.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Every time you upgrade your ship you have to spend 2 weeks doing nothing. During which time a bunch of events happen that fucks you over. Oh, and there's a time limit

they pulled this shit in the first game too

imagine replacing traditional quest structure with automated time attacks

owlcat games are lazy, always butchering core RPG gameplay with shitty minigames because its easier

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codexers will recommend you games from the 80s and shame you if you say they look outdated, but then spend 5 pages complaining about graphics
About to release game has no business looking outdated, paisan.
Also criticism is on artstyle, not graphics.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Graphics =/= art direction

People wouldn't care if this had Dawn of War 1 graphics, had it resembled Wh40k in tone and atmosphere

which it does not, because it has this sterile plastic look with warm palette

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ayo niggas, I got some stuff to say about the space combat, after spending several hours doing just space battles.

Combat 3.jpg

Even though the systems involved are rather simplistic the actual combat is very tricky to master and requires much more thought to get right than I initially thought. The repairs of your ship are not as complicated as in PnP (you just use scrap that you collect as you play, you dont lose crew members nor does it waste ingame time), but even so you always want to minimise damage received. To do that you need to optimise your shields and make sure you maneuver in a way that doesnt expose the weakened shields to the enemy, as even small Raiders and Destroyers pack considerable punch.

Combat 6.jpg

The ship skills of your party members are highly useful for this, as they can for example identify weakspots of enemy ships (ie if you fire at the "weak" side of the ship, you do extra damage) or force the enemy ships to change their heading. Torpedoes are pretty neat as well - once launched they get their own turn to move (ie they act as another unit on the map and can be fired upon), you have two turns to get them on target, after that they selfdestruct. Some torps have AoE damage, so you dont need to hit directly, just get them close enough and detonate them.

Combat 5.jpg

Enemy ships have their own special abilities, for example some of the chaos ships can do tactical warp jumps while the perfidious space elves can block your ship skills for a while. Of course they have different playstyle and characteristics too (ie Eldar are glass cannons that spam torps and have limited firing arcs, while chaos ships are more versatile). I didnt see any strike craft in the game yet, hopefully they will be added too.

In any case, good shit. I really like the space combat, the battles are p. hard to get right and you shouldnt hesitate to try them multiple times to get the best results. This is genuine incline.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
i remember a scene from either dark crusade or the second expansion where an orc boss was crying for "his beatifull orc camp" getting destroyed by the marines :lol:
:lol:

Yet that game feels 50x closer to Wh40k than this cartoon

jokes =/= visuals

But keep finding excuses for mediocre devs and getting fucked in return

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom