Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
936.jpg
Fanta do be like that doe

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
lightbane
*glances at the black she-psyker*

Yes I went back to playing after and realized that error as I dropped the psyker from the party early although she was pretty strong. In this case at least what i saw was unobjectionable in that seemed to be just black and otherwise in character rather than also seeking reparations and shooting you in the back over cold fries. Although in addition now, a companion i missed and just picked up seems to be somewhat of an old lesbian and probably bi so seems more to come on this front. There's almost certainly more but I'll say on these ones at least, you're given lore appropriate ways to execute them and give glory to the Emperor because Heresy is death which actually felt satisfying and in character rather than rage inducing for the inclusion.

Hard to say if the crit rules in that regard are actually under the hood. Its not that clear yet in combat whats really going on because theres no visuals yet on alot of actions but theres some physx on the bodies and they fly apart and explode in different ways so its possible.

I phrased the ship combat wrong what I meant by real time is your own time, its properly turn based but slow and janky currently because of placeholder animations so each battle takes a while just mechanically but otherwise a fair interpretation of the rules. Just needs to be sped up and spruced up. Thats whats lacking most in this alpha is the ship systems, I've found a ship weapon but nowhere to put it i can find. It's overall similar to battlefleet gothic functionally and so already is a decent addition rather than just an abomination like the heroes knockoff. Doesn't seem like you can change the flagship which may be unfortunate but its not clear. Its an area with an opportunity for incline if they put the time in on the ship side.

mediocrepoet

It does appear that way now, yes. 40k is far more straightforward and it also seems they had their A-team on this as far as that goes. When I saw the thread awhile back I wasn't expecting anything for some time because wrath basically just came out but this alpha is basically at the state or better than wrath was at release and its pretty smooth, its not chugging along. It's really better all around.

I ended up dropping wrath it was just too much for me to continue playing but in this case I'm having the opposite effect and I'm interested to continue. It seems to be the strength of 40k itself as i don't know if they hired out for the writing but whoever is working on it seems to be invested so there is a bit of a different feeling to the whole enterprise.

Here also is a link to an rpg archive with the core books for anyone interested,
https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/rpg.rem.uz/Warhammer 40,000 RPGs/Rogue Trader/

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The warhammer fanboyz are the most cringe fagz i have seen on the internet,i just feel like vomiting every time i see a warhammer post.....it is just....
vq281.jpg

And for the first time in a 40k game you are likely to be able to romance a Sister of battle or an Aeldari, you've seen nothing yet.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Honestly, the ship battle seems extremely boring. OwlCat should just copy and paste the UnderRail "naval" battles

Underrail is actually one of the few games which did minigames properly (small and unintrusive optional games such as fishing)

Pathfinder games did them in the worst way possible (large and intrusive, yet basic as fuck and cannot be avoided). You literally cannot play without brain damage from this half-finished facebook-level trash

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Will this game have at least one orc genocide?

Orks are conspicuously absent so far. There was no concept art either so who knows whats up with that. Some people even suggested that Orks are somehow not part of the license that Owlcat got from GW, though IMO that would be pretty weird.

Orks would fit great into a Rogue Trader game since they can easily work both as antagonists and partners at least to some extend… why pass such a chance?

memes__orks__by_ceplenok_deotwdo-fullview.jpg

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Honestly, the ship battle seems extremely boring. OwlCat should just copy and paste the UnderRail "naval" battles

Underrail is actually one of the few games which did minigames properly (small and unintrusive optional games such as fishing)

Pathfinder games did them in the worst way possible (large and intrusive, yet basic as fuck and cannot be avoided). You literally cannot play without brain damage from this half-finished facebook-level trash
Don't forget the high chance of losing the entire campaign if you do them wrong

Humbaba

Arcane
Double posting coz who the fuck is gonna stop me?

Sometimes the planets you explore have CYOA events:

View attachment 31439

You can also sometimes start your own colonies and develop them:

View attachment 31440

The development of the colonies allows you to do favours for various factions and get benefits from them. Colonies also earn you Profit Factor and provide other things depending on the stuff you build there.

View attachment 31441

So you got the foundation of a p. gud party based RPG with TB combat and all that it entails and on top of that there is solid space combat module, CYOA stuff and at least basic colony management stuff. Shit is pretty cash tbh fam.

Of course as you would expect in a modern RPG, you also get to deal with the drama produced by your party members back home on your ship. For example Cassia´s stuff is very well written and literaly oozes 40Kness:

She is unable to control her powers and she is an emmo teenager, at one point she orders 100 pet birds, who go batshit because of her psyker influence, kill each other or die of fear, then she indirectly makes a random crewman slaughter his whole family and commit suicide afterwards - all the while she acts as the cute girl she deep down is. Good shit all around, this is some proper 40K stuff.

This gaem is gud.

Sharp increase in writing quality compared to previous titles. GW making sure their brand isn't sullied by google translated rusgol gibberish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom