Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Shaki

Arbiter
can we just all agree that this game is shit after chapter 2
Act 3 is cool, after that it goes to shit, but that's still like 80% of the game being great.

I'd like Owlcat to make a smaller, but less bugged and more polished game, but damn, If they want to instead keep shitting out a 100hours long RPGs every 2 years like a clockwork, I'm not going to complain even if the last 20% of their games sucks dick. It still easily beats the alternative of having more games like Bear Gay 3, taking 6 years to make, still having act 3 (40% of the game) broken just as much as Owlcat's last acts, while also being overall woke boring unfun shit.

Owlcat has their problems, but in the years since they showed up on the scene, I don't think any other studio delivered even half as many hours of decent RPG experience as them. Truth is, the pace at which they deliver new content, will always come with some downsides.

Owlcat probably would have more time to polish their games if they stop producing so many DLCs. It seems to me that the time and effort they spent treating their single player games like they are Path of Exile is eating away time and effort that could be spent on their next games.
DLCs probably have best return ratio, 3-4 DLCs sell for more than the base game, while requiring 20% work, not to mention they probably help keep the sales of the base game high too. They have 450 employees now, I'd bet they have a separate team working on DLCs and they're mostly using them for funding their main projects. Without DLCs, they would probably have same/lower number of employees working on main game, while also having a lot lower budget.

Mortmal

Arcane
^ not using prey tracker accessory? its bugged and gives prey to every enemy
I think it's already been fixed. At least in my playthrouhg it only tracks one enemy now.

On the other hand assassin is even more op then archmilitant, even when half their features and some equipment doesn't work.

I just one shot everyone in one turn during the Uralon fight. The only reason I can't one shot the greater daemon is because he doesn't have small minions from the beginning.

I've been finding Yrliet Assassin an absolute beast when it comes to, well, assassinating. She quite often instantly deletes most of, if not all of the elf bar of particularly dangerous or bloated mobs - mobs that would otherwise have to be laboriously chipped away, even by Argenta.

e.g. she close to one-shotted the Cthonos twice - for some reason he appears again in the 3rd Arena fight even if you despatched him in the place where you found Abelard - and she regularly takes enormous chunks out of, or just insta-kills lt. or boss types.

Thus proving the wisdom of my Iconoclast RT in keeping at least one filthy xenos pet hanging around :)

(I've been trying to make Marazhai useful in the Reaving Spire, but he seems to be made of tissue paper, with not quite enough dodge to compensate. Marazhai's worth having around just for the superbly OTT sadistic faggot voice acting though :) )
Assassin seems to be bugged a lot. It took me 3 fights to figure out Aim for the Opening skill gives some massive unexplained bonus damage. I just bug reported it gave +240% bonus damage..
+240% in Rogue Trader? That's nothing. How can you guarantee it's a bug when there are so many things to take into account? I built Heinrix as an assassin; he has a feat that makes his force weapon scale with resolve. Two master tacticians are boosting his resolve, the openings who also have feats to improve and stack, then 'Know No Heresy.' Oh, the Grand Strategist zones you can improve with feats for, I don't remember how much % more, and ton of other things i forgot. It's a multilayered, bloated pile of feats and modifiers, and you better not look too closely at the combat log or risk fainting. Just watch Cassia one-shotting everything with her death ray instead.

Shaki

Arbiter
I think it's already been fixed. At least in my playthrouhg it only tracks one enemy now.

On the other hand assassin is even more op then archmilitant, even when half their features and some equipment doesn't work.

I just one shot everyone in one turn during the Uralon fight. The only reason I can't one shot the greater daemon is because he doesn't have small minions from the beginning.

I've been finding Yrliet Assassin an absolute beast when it comes to, well, assassinating. She quite often instantly deletes most of, if not all of the elf bar of particularly dangerous or bloated mobs - mobs that would otherwise have to be laboriously chipped away, even by Argenta.

e.g. she close to one-shotted the Cthonos twice - for some reason he appears again in the 3rd Arena fight even if you despatched him in the place where you found Abelard - and she regularly takes enormous chunks out of, or just insta-kills lt. or boss types.

Thus proving the wisdom of my Iconoclast RT in keeping at least one filthy xenos pet hanging around :)

(I've been trying to make Marazhai useful in the Reaving Spire, but he seems to be made of tissue paper, with not quite enough dodge to compensate. Marazhai's worth having around just for the superbly OTT sadistic faggot voice acting though :) )
Assassin seems to be bugged a lot. It took me 3 fights to figure out Aim for the Opening skill gives some massive unexplained bonus damage. I just bug reported it gave +240% bonus damage..
+240% in Rogue Trader? That's nothing. How can you guarantee it's a bug when there are so many things to take into account? I built Heinrix as an assassin; he has a feat that makes his force weapon scale with resolve. Two master tacticians are boosting his resolve, the openings who also have feats to improve and stack, then 'Know No Heresy.' Oh, the Grand Strategist zones you can improve with feats for, I don't remember how much % more, and ton of other things i forgot. It's a multilayered, bloated pile of feats and modifiers, and you better not look too closely at the combat log or risk fainting. Just watch Cassia one-shotting everything with her death ray instead.
It kinda works as it should, it shows as bonus damage from aim for the opening, but it only happens when you hit the opening with Killing Edge, and it's actually the bonus damage from the ability. The only "bug" is that description says this dmg increase should only apply to additional damage from ability, while in reality it applies to the whole attack. But I think description is wrong, and it's actually working correctly, as it's pretty much the only thing that makes assassin worth it. Also considering the fact that without officer's ulti they can only use it once per turn, they need to hit an opening to get this damage multiplier, and they give +60% dodge to the enemy for the attack, it's really not that OP, compared to most things in the game. For melee assassin at least it's perfectly balanced, ranged gets kinda OP and should be tuned, but it's still not better than other builds abusing officer.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I just finished Machine Cathedral mission, fuck me everything is just ridiculous. And im not even talking about enemies and their thousands of hp, at this point my builds are so bloated, damage is ridiculous, momentum builds fast af, Exemplar talents bloat characters even further... Its bizzare how relatively not so long ago in Commoragh fights were quite even and now everything is just a joke, Uralon fight only had some difficulty thanks to his high initiative and that bolter marine with free turns.
Leave feedback to our Owlcat_Eyler representative what exactly is making your team do OP damage and what are the worst (most unfun) parts of combat for you.
And what difficulty you are playing on.
If you plan to come back and do another run once DLC and EE come maybe they rebalance the system by then if enough good feedback is provided.
I plan to do same once I hit act 5 or finish the game.
Tbh it would be quite hard for me, there are myriads of talents, both active and passive and most i dont even remember. Its about whole system, not few broken or weirdly working talents. In my opinion that whole Exemplar archetype could be either removed or replaced with 2,3 important choices, you were building your party for 35 levels, its time to stick to your choices and suffer consequences (maybe with late game growth through high quality gear with interesting modifiers) with enemies keeping their power level simillar to end of chapter 3 with only bosses and end game stuff having over 1k hp. Though tbh my power hungry inner voice somewhat likes all that sea of modifiers that turn you into a demigod, combat is still fun after all, its just the other kind of satisfaction rather than tactics and well planned character building from earlier acts.

Owlcat_Eyler
If i had to give feedback it would be mostly QoL improvements, mostly on UI, for example:
- Give us to access trade menu without loading bridge and talking to Factotum guy
- Allow to transfer items to our vault with right click option and access to that vault through menu, easier to keep your EQ clean without accidentaly adding unwanted stuff to cargo
- Better level up ui, less menu clicking and time wasting
- Finished rumours should be archivised to not confuse them with active ones
Not to mention those annoying planet events with two lines of text

And also i have one item question, even if i doubt that community contact guy would know about it. In beta trailer we could see coat from Abelard portrait and Argenta's Sororita helmet in game, what happened to those? I cant find them anywhere or even with Toybox, also either noble outfit retained xeno pelt when equipping armor or that was another cool looking cloak piece. Did all those items got cut or just someone mistyped and stuff got lost inside code, it would be a shame since those items seem quite iconic for those companions and that background.

QVtZldg.png

Shaki

Arbiter
I just finished Machine Cathedral mission, fuck me everything is just ridiculous. And im not even talking about enemies and their thousands of hp, at this point my builds are so bloated, damage is ridiculous, momentum builds fast af, Exemplar talents bloat characters even further... Its bizzare how relatively not so long ago in Commoragh fights were quite even and now everything is just a joke, Uralon fight only had some difficulty thanks to his high initiative and that bolter marine with free turns.
Leave feedback to our Owlcat_Eyler representative what exactly is making your team do OP damage and what are the worst (most unfun) parts of combat for you.
And what difficulty you are playing on.
If you plan to come back and do another run once DLC and EE come maybe they rebalance the system by then if enough good feedback is provided.
I plan to do same once I hit act 5 or finish the game.
Tbh it would be quite hard for me, there are myriads of talents, both active and passive and most i dont even remember. Its about whole system, not few broken or weirdly working talents. In my opinion that whole Exemplar archetype could be either removed or replaced with 2,3 important choices, you were building your party for 35 levels, its time to stick to your choices and suffer consequences (maybe with late game growth through high quality gear with interesting modifiers) with enemies keeping their power level simillar to end of chapter 3 with only bosses and end game stuff having over 1k hp. Though tbh my power hungry inner voice somewhat likes all that sea of modifiers that turn you into a demigod, combat is still fun after all, its just the other kind of satisfaction rather than tactics and well planned character building from earlier acts.

Owlcat_Eyler
If i had to give feedback it would be mostly QoL improvements, mostly on UI, for example:
- Give us to access trade menu without loading bridge and talking to Factotum guy
- Allow to transfer items to our vault with right click option and access to that vault through menu, easier to keep your EQ clean without accidentaly adding unwanted stuff to cargo
- Better level up ui, less menu clicking and time wasting
- Finished rumours should be archivised to not confuse them with active ones
Not to mention those annoying planet events with two lines of text

And also i have one item question, even if i doubt that community contact guy would know about it. In beta trailer we could see coat from Abelard portrait and Argenta's Sororita helmet in game, what happened to those? I cant find them anywhere or even with Toybox, also either noble outfit retained xeno pelt when equipping armor or that was another cool looking cloak piece. Did all those items got cut or just someone mistyped and stuff got lost inside code, it would be a shame since those items seem quite iconic for those companions and that background.

QVtZldg.png
https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTrade..._is_vital_when_enduring_hardships_of/kezy099/ - Here's the answer from Owlcat dev about Argenta's helmet a week ago.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It kinda works as it should, it shows as bonus damage from aim for the opening, but it only happens when you hit the opening with Killing Edge, and it's actually the bonus damage from the ability. The only "bug" is that description says this dmg increase should only apply to additional damage from ability, while in reality it applies to the whole attack. But I think description is wrong, and it's actually working correctly, as it's pretty much the only thing that makes assassin worth it. Also considering the fact that without officer's ulti they can only use it once per turn, they need to hit an opening to get this damage multiplier, and they give +60% dodge to the enemy for the attack, it's really not that OP, compared to most things in the game. For melee assassin at least it's perfectly balanced, ranged gets kinda OP and should be tuned, but it's still not better than other builds abusing officer.
No, Killing edge has a different bonus and it is part of the detailed damage breakdown. Killing edge gives + letality/7 bonus damage, with aim the opening or just opening being on right side it is % . And no, it should not be 240%, not even 24% unless you got over 200 lethality.
Penalty for Killing Edge is 40% dodge which is easy countered with laser snipers and Operative abilities, it should not be letting you do 250+ damage from other side of the screen without a crit.

Other options for sniper Operatives are not even close to this. I was happy to do over 100 with crits with Bounty Hunter.
This shit with Assassin is redicilous and should be fixed just like other abuses like Press the Advatage having no limits and working with spells and letting Cassia do 250+ damage with Held in my Gaze that ignores all defenses in the game..

Shaki

Arbiter

No, Killing edge has a different bonus and it is part of the detailed damage breakdown. Killing edge gives + letality/7 bonus damage, with aim the opening or just opening being on right side it is % . And no, it should not be 240%, not even 24% unless you got over 200 lethality.
Penalty for Killing Edge is 40% dodge which is easy countered with laser snipers and Operative abilities, it should not be letting you do 250+ damage from other side of the screen without a crit.

Other options for Operatives do not do even close to this. I was happy to do over 100 with crits with Bounty Hunter.
This shit with Assassin is redicilous and should be fixed just like other abuses like Press the Advatage having no limits and working with spells and letting Cassia do 250+ damage with Held in my Gaze that ignores all defenses in the game..
Killing edge has two bonuses. +lethality/7 flat dmg which always applies, and +lethality% which can easily be 200-300, if you hit the opening with it. Read the description of the ability again:

"The Assassin attacks and grants +40% dodge to the target for this attack. If this attack hits, it deals an additional +(lethality / 7) (rounded down) damage. If this attack hits an opening, its additional damage is increased by lethality%."

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Other options for Operatives do not do even close to this. I was happy to do over 100 with crits with Bounty Hunter.
Killing edge has two bonuses. +lethality/7 flat dmg which always applies, and +lethality% which can easily be 200-300, if you hit the opening with it. Read the description of the ability again:

"The Assassin attacks and grants +40% dodge to the target for this attack. If this attack hits, it deals an additional +(lethality / 7) (rounded down) damage. If this attack hits an opening, its additional damage is increased by lethality%."

And Yrliet does crit a lot too on top of that (voice of command will take her well over 95% into crit territory).

I think she's alright, not too OP really, she's a tool for a job: severely denting or even one shotting bosses and Tier IV enemies. You might say that she would be OP with Finest Hour, but I think it would be pointless overkill to use her to kill loads of mooks using Finest Hour, when Argenta can do that more efficiently and in a more fun way, given her extra mobility to get LoS (especially as she transitions to burst), or Cassia, or even Pasqal or your player charcter if you build them for it.

I always wonder why people are hypnotized by big numbers (both in a "boo" and "hooray" sense), when all that effectively matters is the percentage chunks of health taken out of things over time, and in that sense, on Unfair at least, all the characters, even at their seemingly most OP, are usually still within reasonable bounds (or will be once Officer cheese is toned down a bit). If the complaint is about over-complication, well I like the simulationist aspect of it, I like that there are lots of fussy little factors that result in a final sum. The only problem is that if a system is complex like that, the player needs to have absolute confidence that the system is working as intended, all the talents and abilities do what they say on the tin, etc., so they can confidently plan builds and gear, and sadly we're not yet at that stage, it's all a bit rickety at the moment still.

Shaki

Arbiter

And Yrliet does crit a lot too on top of that (voice of command will take her well over 95% into crit territory).

I think she's alright, not too OP really, she's a tool for a job: severely denting or even one shotting bosses and Tier IV enemies. You might say that she would be OP with Finest Hour, but I think it would be pointless overkill to use her to kill loads of mooks using Finest Hour, when Argenta can do that more efficiently and in a more fun way, given her extra mobility to get LoS (especially as she transitions to burst), or Cassia, or even Pasqal or your player charcter if you build them for it.

I always wonder why people are hypnotized by big numbers (both in a "boo" and "hooray" sense), when all that effectively matters is the percentage chunks of health taken out of things over time, and in that sense, on Unfair at least, all the characters, even at their seemingly most OP, are usually still within reasonable bounds (or will be once Officer cheese is toned down a bit). If the complaint is about over-complication, well I like the simulationist aspect of it, I like that there are lots of fussy little factors that result in a final sum. The only problem is that if a system is complex like that, the player needs to have absolute confidence that the system is working as intended, all the talents and abilities do what they say on the tin, etc., so they can confidently plan builds and gear, and sadly we're not yet at that stage, it's all a bit rickety at the moment still.
Yeah, ranged assassin is on the stronger side, and probably will be one of the better build after some oviously broken OP things are fixed, but without officer it shouldn't be too problematic. I do think it shouldd be tuned down a little, but a big problem with nerfing it by just nerfing Killing Edge, would be that it would also completely kill melee assassin, which is atm a very well balanced and fun build.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You are right, shown bonus damage in ability description is showing wrong but if you just follow description that is how it might work. 240% bonus damage just from that one ability without a crit is still crazy. Halving the bonus should be applied in that case.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yeah, ranged assassin is on the stronger side, and probably will be one of the better build after some oviously broken OP things are fixed, but without officer it shouldn't be too problematic. I do think it shouldd be tuned down a little, but a big problem with nerfing it by just nerfing Killing Edge, would be that it would also completely kill melee assassin, which is atm a very well balanced and fun build.
It would not kill melee assassin as that one can go all into dodge and be almost untouchable. It does not need to do 4x damage of standard warriors.
Also my main sniper didn't use officer to set this up. No need.
Perfect Spot, then Death Whisper, then Analyse Enemies, then Precise Attack, then Aim for Opening if needed or Elusive Shadow if not needed and finish with Killing edge. At lvl 37 that is 300+ damage.

Edit: just did 399 to one shot a Chaos Marine lol

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
Guys, aren't you exaggerating a bit?
This type of damage is very easy to achieve in the game.
A small example: Molten Beam without any buffs, only Concetrated Fire.
jFNVuY0.png

Shaki

Arbiter
It would not kill melee assassin as that one can go all into dodge and be almost untouchable. It does not need to do 4x damage of standard warriors.
Also my main sniper didn't use officer to set this up. No need.
Perfect Spot, then Death Whisper, then Analyse Enemies, then Precise Attack, then Aim for Opening if needed or Elusive Shadow if not needed and finish with Killing edge. At lvl 37 that is 300+ damage.

Edit: just did 399 to one shot a Chaos Marine lol
My RT is a melee assassin, and it's definitely pretty damn weak build already compared to anything AM, psykers, cassia, BH and ranged assassin can do, tho fun.

Maxxing dodge sucks balls compared to maxxing armor, because you can't get 100% dodge, and you have light armor, so you're paper. Heavy armoured dudes will survive pretty hard hits for the first 1-2 turns, then stack 200% armor and get completely invincible, while you will usually get oneshot if you ever fail even one 95% dodge roll, it feels fun dodging 10 attacks in a row, but it's always risky af. You need much more abilities than ranged assasin to be effective, because you have to actually get to your targets rather than click on them from across the map, and also you obviously need agility (dodge) + weapon skill + preferably at least some str/tgh, so your perception (dodge reduction) will be shit and that +40% dodge chance to enemies from killing edge, actually hurts af. Also you get muuuuuuch lower critical chance than a ranged assassin and less critical damage, so even if you hit, your killing edge does 200 dmg to their 400.

Still even ranged assassin shooting one dude for 400 in one turn isn't imho nothing special, my Pasqual can shoot ~100 dmg single target attack + 200+ DMG guaranteed crit AoE + Hit another similar AoE in melee , while aso stacking more dmg and stacking armor for everyone each turn, and debuffing enemies, Heinrix can also do AoEs for hundreds of DMG while also buffing everyone to the point of being unkillable, and Cassia and Argenta do 4000 rather than 400DMG per turn. Even my shitty roleplay build Arch Militant Abelard with sword and a pistol, can do like 1000dmg:MThe only thing that keeps ranged assassin in OP tier too, imho, is that officer lets her do her 400dmg shot 11 times in one turn with ulti.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Another bonus, this time Ulfar with a flamethrower and a minimum amount of versatility stacks (he starts each fight with 2 stacks from talent)
SB1gdOg.png

Reaching crit 300+ is trivial in this game, even without an officer.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Damn it i only lack 2 tiers to get power armor from drusians and i just get Calcazar location from Frosher and i feel that im at the point of no return. Eh if that Vhebos final upgrade wasnt bugged i probably could get enough reputation (in few recent patches reputation threshold was lowered, one of the final projects on that colony gives us 2500 drusians rep but only if you have more than 75000 drusian rep points, that is retarded since that is the max reputation threshold so those points are worthless).

Rhobar121

Scholar
After the patch, reaching max rep is easy.
The last project for Explorators gave me 20k rep for some reason.
lKV3qj8.png

Also this power armor is shit.
Regular heavy armor is better and in act 4 you have 2 really strong armors at your disposal.
hZzKRyv.png

LRCUngN.png

Zariusz

Arbiter
Is Improved Heavy Bolter only possible to get from Fellowship or is there another way, also did that melting the ice contract did anything for anyone? That ice world still has the same interaction as before that contract for me.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Is Improved Heavy Bolter only possible to get from Fellowship or is there another way, also did that melting the ice contract did anything for anyone? That ice world still has the same interaction as before that contract for me.
It gave me an achievement and that's it.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Can someone explain to me why each event on the planets in act 4 takes huge amounts of profit factor?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Typical Owlcat Design: Let the player build up, then take it all away by the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom