Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

ArchAngel

Arcane
can we just all agree that this game is shit after chapter 2
I mostly enjoyed Chapter 3, it had some nasty battles. Worst thing was that stupid book event where some random high difficulty check instant kills you (and skills in general there being crazy high for even simple stuff) and their city being tiny, I was expecting something like BG2 Dark Elf city, not this. I am start of Act 4 so I got no opinion on it yet.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
It appeals to autistic fags on the verge of tranny-psychosis. The game is buggy and broken, its up to your luck wither an ability you spec into works or not. Quests more often do not work the more you progress into the game. The visuals and art-style is trash tier and does not capture 40k at all and the animations are just the free animations available in the mixamo library.
I've already played a good way through Kingmaker, and a bit less than that through Wrath, so I know what to expect in the bugs department. I guess if I condition myself that I'm playing for the lulz, I can get through this as well but this time around I'll wait a year for an at least somewhat fixed game.
That's the best option tbh. A year from now the secret companions might actually work.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also, Owlcat_Eyler can you forward to your people that Heinrix for being member of Ordo Xenos sucks at Lore Xenos checks.. maybe you guys should give him something that makes Wisdom or Fellowship being a stat for that Lore instead of Int. We have 0 reason to raise Int for him and he always stays bad at his primary job. Or give him a +5 bonus to that Lore per PSI rank or something..

notpl

Arbiter
we have enough Dogmatic honestly and from DLC desc they are either Dogmatic or Iconoclast at best

frankly boring because it makes other path playthrough to make no sense especially Heretic path

Argenta Henric Pasquale and now Death Cult assassin and some police guy would shot Heretic RT in some of the dialogue but due to Owlcat-iness where these alignment doesn't matter until last 2 chapters they don't
Very easy to justify the death cult person being a heretic (since that's literally what they are, just like the adeptus mechanicus, it's just tolerated heresy) and the arbites being iconoclast. Plenty of heretics think they're doing the emperor's will.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Rhobar121

Scholar
It is known that at one point Owlcat was working on what looked like a Mass Effect clone.
It is unknown whether they are still working on it, but I would assume so.
In addition, we also have DLC for WotR and, of course, Rogue Trader.
It is not known whether they are also doing something else in the meantime.

What kind of studio was this that also took on too much work for its capabilities and ended poorly? I can't remember the name.

Grokalibre

Augur
So I'm pretty far in the game and now my guys find out about an ancient xenos civilization who built pyramids and has superior tech, they look like a black terminator and they're called the negrons.
I don't know much about wh40k lore, is this shit canon?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Good game. Some talents work or not depending on the phase of the moon or the air temperature, or what else can you call it.
The talent works on one character, but not on the other.
h0Cz6qq.png

c8OQL0a.png
I just found out what causes the error.
9gHeJPV.png

Loading the game when you have this item equipped causes Tought as Steel to stop working and the only thing that helps is resetting the character

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Can't owlcat make their mini game OPTIONAL for next game. I don't want to grind in this shitty ship combat game yet if I want to play on Hard and not custom, I need to play the stupid mini game on hard more. Fuck off. Wrath got this right , yet they got this wrong in RT for NO REASON

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I'm pretty far in the game and now my guys find out about an ancient xenos civilization who built pyramids and has superior tech, they look like a black terminator and they're called the negrons.
I don't know much about wh40k lore, is this shit canon?
It is part of the lore, and they are called Necrons. They didn't build the pyramids on Holy Terra if that is what you mean.
But yea, they and Tyranids are two strongest factions in that world.
Terminator dudes are usually greenish and those are basic "mindless" soldiers.
Necrons are 40k version of Undead.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Only me who thought act 3 was mostly cancerous?
And wtf is up with fucking up my inventory and i have to re-equip my entire roster of companions.. again.
Do you like torturing people or? wtf is going on

Rhobar121

Scholar
And wtf is up with fucking up my inventory and i have to re-equip my entire roster of companions.. again.
To make things more fun, if you transfer your gear to cargo before going to city, you can get it back as soon as you regain control of your character and you don't have to wait for the game to kindly return it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For you that is 15 minutes, for them that is X developer/QA hours to implement and goes into section of polish. That comes after fixing bugs, finishing content and balancing that content. So maybe they add that in 1 year or so..

I am more irritated how they could not add sounds of crowds or cheering into multiple scenes where they are trying to do some inengine cutscenes or something..

Rhobar121

Scholar
For you that is 15 minutes, for them that is X developer/QA hours to implement and goes into section of polish. That comes after fixing bugs, finishing content and balancing that content. So maybe they add that in 1 year or so..

I am more irritated how they could not add sounds of crowds or cheering into multiple scenes where they are trying to do some inengine cutscenes or something..
Considering that half of the scripts in this game are bugged (I'm not even kidding), they may exist but not work.
Regularly since Act 2, I have encountered broken scripts that caused cutscenes to not run (which blocked progress), or they ran but lasted forever because the npc script didn't work and didn't do what it was supposed to, or the cutscenes ran 2 or more times.
The first cutscene in act 2, when you get to Footfall, literally bugged twice.
The only acts that worked well were the prologue and act 1.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I quite enjoyed Act 3, and it is after all a fairly traditional trope in games to lose all your stuff at some point and have to build up again; I was half expecting it anyway, given how you're built up to be such a big cheese in the game. And psychologically, proving oneself to be the big bad Rogue Trader who can win by sheer grit and determination from a basis of nothing was quite satisfying. If anything, I thought they could have extended that initial period when you're alone and bottomed out a bit more, I thought you discover Abelard and Argenta a bit too quickly (not by a lot, but I think maybe another ten minutes of struggling and not knowing what's going on would have made discovering your old friends even sweeter).

Also, re-equipping gives you a chance to re-evaluate your equipment choices. I found it quite enjoyable to start off with a clean slate and reconsider. Time for a nice cup of coffee and some beard stroking. I ended up shuffling a few of the equipment picks around a bit.

I did have a pretty major bug - the monster part items from the tentacled monster (the one Ulfar is seen fighting) disappeared from my inventory for some reason, so I had to toybox a couple of monster parts to get Ulfar and some extra gear from the mad scientist.

For all its flaws, I'm still enjoying the game, and I stand by my assessment of it being fundamentally sound and fixable. It's annoying that Owlcat games seem to be properly finished only like a year after they're released, but it is what it is.

std::namespace

im reconsidering who the most powerful char is... its abletard also known as lard also as simp
he is the most sufficient, all around prepared, untouchable char

argenta wonl survive this first turn, he will
nh96eRU.jpeg

and he will kill em all even it takes a while
sKw44qH.jpeg

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just finished Pascal´s personal quest and I got to say that its IMO the best written part of the game so far as far as storyfaggotry goes. The design of the quest has one very problematic part though:

getting past the cogitator was complete BS. I understand what the writters were going for, but if you want to make a puzzle like this you need to provide some fucking clues to figure it out, as it is the solution seems very random.

The whole Pascal´s development arc and his overarching plotline makes sense, works with the setting (though it is perhaps a bit too epic) and the choice to be made at the end felt meaningful. Plus the dialogue during the final showdown was p. cool. Good stuff!

ArchAngel

Arcane
im reconsidering who the most powerful char is... its abletard also known as lard also as simp
he is the most sufficient, all around prepared, untouchable char

argenta wonl survive this first turn, he will
nh96eRU.jpeg

and he will kill em all even it takes a while
sKw44qH.jpeg
Depens on how you play. Trick with Argenta is to bring them down before they do you. Abelard does get more powerful if he survives more turn. In my game Argenta has like 150% dodge and Entrench, she is unhitable if she finds full cover. And has perk to shoot her heavy bolter in melee range if any fool comes close. Unless that melee fool can get her early while her versatility number is low (she also gets 2% armor per stack) she becomes almost unkillable unless enemy has some ability to ignore 90% cover and her crazy dodge.

Incendax

Augur

Wait, how short is the effin' game? Are you telling me Chapter 2 is like 50-60% of the content?
Exploring the map is about 30% of the game. You can do almost all of that in Ch 2, or save some for Ch 4, but there's no reason to do that unless you just want the Ch 3 items to fuck around with.

REhorror

Educated
Yes, Act 3 is meant to be a downer.
But I don't feel it as much as playing Dogmatic gives you some Dogmatic inspirational speech.

Rhobar121

Scholar
It's definitely balanced.
oElCP3W.png

0DkHF8q.png

Why does such an item even exist?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom