Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

REhorror

Educated
I think her character is still somewhat OK during Janus, outside of the fact she decides to side with humanity, which seems supsicious to me.
It is less suspicious for me, considering that Eldar consider Chaos to be the greater enemy than Humanity. This is a very common reason in games to cause Mankind to fight alongside the Eldar (at least indirectly), rather than fight them. With the caveat that it's just a temporary alliance and then it's back to business, which is everyone fighting everyone, because in 40K There Can Be Only War. So the basic idea was fine, but the execution was poor. In some places even extremely poor.
This is true, but usually Eldar will ally with their kin first before allying with humanity.
Anyway, Yrliet STILL follows this rule, you will find out in Act 3, consider this a spoiler, she just does it in the most stupid way possible.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Damn, why did they had to put some furries as space marines, when i heard Ulfar howling like some retard i wanted to slam my head into my desk. Im sure they could put any other chapter instead of those cringe vikangz, hah why not ignore spess mahrines altogether and give us pet kastelan robot. While we are there lets allow Pasqal to stuff Nomos there for those extra heresy points.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ehm... can I get some Grey Knights in here? Shit´s getting a bit crazy right now

Edge of Daybrake.jpg

TBH fam I am starting to feel that the ammount of epic fights in this one dungeon on Eufrates II is a bit too high, its like Doomscream (boss Hellbrute)+several CSMs => CSM boss + many CSMs => a fucking Greater Demon in a span of just a few minutes. Dayum.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ehm... can I get some Grey Knights in here? Shit´s getting a bit crazy right now

View attachment 45175

TBH fam I am starting to feel that the ammount of epic fights in this one dungeon on Eufrates II is a bit too high, its like Doomscream (boss Hellbrute)+several CSMs => CSM boss + many CSMs => a fucking Greater Demon in a span of just a few minutes. Dayum.
Nothing that Argenta with Heavy Bolter couldnt deal with.

Her laugh when we obliterate xenos and heretics truly speaks to my soul :hug:
Bestest girl

ArchAngel

Arcane

View attachment 45175

We might get some Grey Knights if they do Dark Heresy sequel. That knight will be there 50% to help your Inquisitor and 50% to take you out if you try to go some heresy route :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
Damn, why did they had to put some furries as space marines, when i heard Ulfar howling like some retard i wanted to slam my head into my desk. Im sure they could put any other chapter instead of those cringe vikangz, hah why not ignore spess mahrines altogether and give us pet kastelan robot. While we are there lets allow Pasqal to stuff Nomos there for those extra heresy points.
Ultrasmurfs are too plain, Blood Ravens are used in every other Wk40k media so not many choices left from well known Chapters.
Grey Knights do not do Xenos and Salamanders are probably bit strange for first SM in cRPG.

Dayyālu

Arcane
So all in all Yrliet's action suffer more from stupid plot, rather than Yrliet's being written particularly badly, but that may change in the future as I am just after Janus.

The entire plotline with the Eldar on Janus has a decent setup (Eldar are trying to play one side against each other but suddenly CHAOS CULT) the main problem is that it's completely unclear why the Farseer ordered Yrliet to get shot or whatever was going on. The entire resolution feels half-assed at best. Also Yrliet is a drooling moron, you'll see in Chapter 3. A complete and utter retard.

Also there's a Dogmatic option to let the Eldar live on Janus... you will get chewed nonetheless and the optimal option would have been killing them all. On my defense redhead space elves always get a free pass, but they're written like complete morons.

Is there anything to surprise an old fart RPG player here? Like more-than-token C&C? Surprising story twists?

No. If you were dying like me for a decent 40k RPG, this is a decent 40k RPG with all the typical Owlcat thingies (bugs, attack at the beginning, bugs, diarrhea writing, bugs) but it has essentially nothing particularly excellent. Bar the ruleset that's fucking weird as fuck and you will build OP character by happenstance because everything is broken or badly thought-out.

1) At this point Cassia is a write-off, because I screwed up her build too much

Respec, respec, respec. I respecced almost all my characters, sometimes even two or three times, because if Owlcat can't be arsed to make a ruleset with some common sense I will respec. The first ones are free, then you install Toybox and respec from Level 0 to build something that works (not that you need to, game is piss-easy, but I want to play as I like).

If the game has no respect for you, show no respect for the game. Respec Cassia with the Factotum, she's a better pych than any psych (no retarded Veil mechanic)

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ultrasmurfs are too plain, Blood Ravens are used in every other Wk40k media so not many choices left from well known Chapters.
Grey Knights do not do Xenos and Salamanders are probably bit strange for first SM in cRPG.
Even the plainest of breads tastes better than one filled with wolf hair. Also i guess Salamanders more friendly nature would probably connect better with fresh normie audience so neither neckbeards nor normies are better with Space Wolves instead of any of these.

Last edited:

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been watching an LP of this and I don't get what the appeal is.

The chosen-wan cookie-cutter story. The forced dramatism, as you go through the most cliched RPG story tropes. Your intro NPC boss who bosses you around for just long enough to die at the end of the prologue. The inside job treachery of the "master of whispers". Combat encounters feel like I've already played this 10 times in the last 10 years. Suddenly, a black wizard lady appears.

Is there anything to surprise an old fart RPG player here? Like more-than-token C&C? Surprising story twists?

It appeals to autistic fags on the verge of tranny-psychosis. The game is buggy and broken, its up to your luck wither an ability you spec into works or not. Quests more often do not work the more you progress into the game. The visuals and art-style is trash tier and does not capture 40k at all and the animations are just the free animations available in the mixamo library.

Dayyālu

Arcane
FFG's Deathwatch had some interesting writing on even making the Ultrasmurfs interesting (for example, Marines could gain "defects" and the defect for the Ultras was to become essentially obsessed with the fact that only the Ultramarines or descendants are proper Marines and everyone else can't be trusted to run things.). A good writer can make even plain bread feel interesting.

Owlcat has.... adequate writers. Again this is babby's first 40k, Ulfar is a stereotype and it works fine.

A pal of mine suggested that a Tau companion would be interesting (and a fitting Iconoclast pick). Tau&Kroot aren't exactly a good pick for the Expanse, but Kroots are mercs and a Tau could fill the sniper role by being a Xenos you can probably trust. Game probably need more Heretical companions though.

REhorror

Educated
Come on, we have enough Ultramarines already, Space Wolves have great lore.

I'd prefer Iron Hands or Raven Guard or Black Templar but Space Wolves are acceptable.

Harthwain

Magister
so not many choices left from well known Chapters.
Don't have to be well known Chapters though. That said, I think a surviving Deathwing member could be a good place, if you were to search one of the Space Hulks.

Respec, respec, respec. I respecced almost all my characters, sometimes even two or three times, because if Owlcat can't be arsed to make a ruleset with some common sense I will respec. The first ones are free, then you install Toybox and respec from Level 0 to build something that works (not that you need to, game is piss-easy, but I want to play as I like).
I will hold off with using Toybox for now, but will keep the possibility in mind. It really annoys me that respec costs you Profit Factor after three times. I really limits your fun with toying with builds for no good reason.

I just realized how buying things via Profit Factor works: everything you unlock via Reputation is free for grabs. So I will be able to get the Heavy Bolter, but I just got Imperial Pride Bolter and I want to test it out first. Also, cleaning up inventory from useless armours and weapons also helps boosting reputation, because it converts these otherwise useless things into respective cargo you can "trade" with factions.

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated
so not many choices left from well known Chapters.
Don't have to be well known Chapters though. That said, I think a surviving Deathwing member could be a good place, if you were to search one of the Space Hulks.

I will hold off with using Toybox for now, but will keep the possibility in mind. It really annoys me that respec costs you Profit Factor after three times. I really limits your fun with toying with builds for no good reason.

I just realized how buying things via Profit Factor works: everything you unlock via Reputation is free for grabs. So I will be able to get the Heavy Bolter, but I just got Imperial Pride Bolter and I want to test it out first. Also, cleaning up inventory from useless armours and weapons also helps boosting reputation, because it convert these things into respective cargo you can "trade" with factions.
Prepare to have Emperor-approved orgasm.
Also, they make some changes to the system where you can earn some good reputation by doing colony upgrades/choices now.

I'd advise you to NOT sell everything you can't afford to lose. And always keep one (or two) cargo of every variety just in case because some planets interaction might need these supplies.

Shaki

Arbiter
we have enough Dogmatic honestly and from DLC desc they are either Dogmatic or Iconoclast at best

frankly boring because it makes other path playthrough to make no sense especially Heretic path

Argenta Henric Pasquale and now Death Cult assassin and some police guy would shot Heretic RT in some of the dialogue but due to Owlcat-iness where these alignment doesn't matter until last 2 chapters they don't
Yeah, you can already have cool full dogmatic party, I hoped DLC will give us something more crazy like Ork freebooter companion

Harthwain

Magister
I'd advise you to NOT sell everything you can't afford to lose. And always keep one (or two) cargo of every variety just in case because some planets interaction might need these supplies.
Thanks. This is one of the reasons why I wasn't sure whether I should start increasing my reputation right away. Another being that I was curious to see what other factions could offer me.

Incendax

Augur
I bet I could have shot her in one of her quests or something (and of course the game is bugged and one of her personal quests is in my log for ???? reasons). Indira didn't escape, thankfully.
You can execute her at the end of her recruitment quest for dealing in xeno artifacts.

When in doubt, [Dogmatic].
Executing her for broadcasting your sex is way more cathartic, especially with an Inferno Pistol. They have a servitor come clean up the body. Honestly, killing anyone with an Inferno Pistol is badass.

REhorror

Educated
we have enough Dogmatic honestly and from DLC desc they are either Dogmatic or Iconoclast at best

frankly boring because it makes other path playthrough to make no sense especially Heretic path

Argenta Henric Pasquale and now Death Cult assassin and some police guy would shot Heretic RT in some of the dialogue but due to Owlcat-iness where these alignment doesn't matter until last 2 chapters they don't
Yeah, you can already have cool full dogmatic party, I hoped DLC will give us something more crazy like Ork freebooter companion
The Ork better be Iconoclaust LOL. That'll be funny.

FOR DA ORRRKKKKKSS!!!!!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It appeals to autistic fags on the verge of tranny-psychosis. The game is buggy and broken, its up to your luck wither an ability you spec into works or not. Quests more often do not work the more you progress into the game. The visuals and art-style is trash tier and does not capture 40k at all and the animations are just the free animations available in the mixamo library.
I've already played a good way through Kingmaker, and a bit less than that through Wrath, so I know what to expect in the bugs department. I guess if I condition myself that I'm playing for the lulz, I can get through this as well but this time around I'll wait a year for an at least somewhat fixed game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Even the plainest of breads tastes better than one filled with wolf hair. Also i guess Salamanders more friendly nature would probably connect better with fresh normie audience so neither neckbeards nor normies are better with Space Wolves instead of any of these.
Vikings are very popular in normie culture.

jf8350143

Liturgist

View attachment 45175

We might get some Grey Knights if they do Dark Heresy sequel. That knight will be there 50% to help your Inquisitor and 50% to take you out if you try to go some heresy route :D
Grey Knights are hard to write around considerring they are secret daemon hunters, you can't just have them following your around everywhere.

I would love to see a salamanders, or iron hand.

Still I think they did a decent job in this game when it comes to space marines. They don't overuse them and when they show up it make sense in the story.

jf8350143

Liturgist
If there is a sequel I hope we can get an ork companion. I'm already pretty disappointed that we get no ork in this game. Not even as enemies.

Also most of the companion quests in act 4 has no reward other than the experience, is it another bug or they run out of time to put some equpiment in there?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Good game. Some talents work or not depending on the phase of the moon or the air temperature, or what else can you call it.
The talent works on one character, but not on the other.
h0Cz6qq.png

c8OQL0a.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom