Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anyone here tell me is there a wh40k game that would play similar to Xcom?
So fairly interesting "base" building, random missions, bigger teams, soldiers that can die and be replaced by others and so on
The closest thing to that would be WH40K Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters
It has everything your describe except for the size of field team, but that's the scrouge of almost all the new-ish tacticools.
I know about that one but it supposed to be bad. I was hopping there was some older WH40k game I do not know about.

It would work better if you had squad of IG or cultists and things like SM or CSM are special units that you cannot have a lot. Or maybe even some limited resource that you can call down during missions that only last for that one mission.
Yeah Chaos Gate is decent, marred by shitty RNG mechanics but definitely worth a play
But it is only 4 SM, no other options and also you only fight demons and cultists so also no variety of enemies.
It is one of the best nu XCOM adjacent Tactical games actually, and it plays closer from Gears of War.

The main issue is indeed the lack of variety :
You only fight against Nurgle, but there are quite a few different opponents now after 2 years of DLC and patching (between various CSM, cultist with different loadouts, a few deamon engines), but everything is a variation of green (including the scenery), and there are not that many "standard mission". The expansions and patches added quite a few, though, but you'll play "destroy the bloom spawns", and kill the "special spreader target" a lot of times.
It still is pretty solid, with a focus on lightning strikes and melee combat, which is pretty refreshing (and makes it play very differently from NuXCOM or Phoenix Point).
The Geoscape is nothing to write home about, but it serves its purpose.

You do have a small team indeed, and they feel more like glasscannons than armored powerhouses (but actually, that is not too far from the feel of the tabletop, as Space Marines do melt under fire in all editions of 40K and epic 40K).

As for older 40K games, you have OG Chaos Gate, but it doesn't have a Geoscape, and you have a limited pool of Space Marines (50 or so, but you should have enough to last through the campaign).
It also lets you field 3 squads of 5. However, it relies on preset missions, with a some uninteresting random missions in between.
It is great from a thematic point of view, but barely replayable.

OG Chaos Gate doesn't have much more variety (Khorne Berzerkers, Word Bearers, Cultists, and a few Khorne/Tzeentch minor and greater daemons).

I wholly recommend both Chaos Gates if you haven't played them.

Another vote for Chaos Gate being okay-ish. It smashes into lore issues like Terminators barely having more armor than regular guys, and has a weird momentum system that makes you take baby steps with your guys. But on the whole? Okay-ish!

That is true, but the tabletop also does the same. I remember wiping every single marine (except for the commander hiding in a bunker) in a game of 40K, and losing several companies of Ultramarines in a game of Epic 40k. It is even worse in Space Hulk (and Space Crusade, but I suppose this one is no more cannon).

Harthwain

Magister
In 40k? It really is the heretic-lite option.
As in at odds with what is generally accepted? Yes, but that's the whole point of Iconoclast, even the name itself literally means "a person who attacks settled beliefs or institutions" (emphasis on beliefs. It's Chaos that wishes to topple the actual institutions). This is supposed to be a view of those who wish to act differently from what the established dogma teaches you. That said, I don't like how they handled the divide between Puritan and Fanatic on mechanical level.

As you can see there is a meter. Half of it (the Puritan one) is Dogmatic. The other half of it (Fanatic) is for Iconoclast and Heretical, all at once. With that in mind I don't think Iconoclast should even be in game. You should naturally pivot towards being more Radical the more you do stuff such as using xenotech and methods not approved by the official thinking. You should go even more agressively into being Radical (and into Heresy territory) if you go as far as to use Chaos artifact. On the flipside the Purtian should allow you to use holy weapons and powers, to counterbalance the use of Chaos items (which, by the way, should be REALLY powerful by comparison). You should also have some limit of Chaos Corruption or Sanity that'd work similarly to how Humanity works in Vampire the Masquerade.

Instead we have ranks that limit your ideological drift and what items you can use. And you can be both Dogmatic and Heretical, if you pick the corresponding options. So you can use Chaos Heavy Bolter (it only requires first rank of the Heretical ideology to be usable) and then be as pious as you want. Even though the mere fact that you're using a weapon of Chaos automatically puts you into the Radical category. Same question goes for xeno weapons: do the game even considers taking a perk for them to count on the Fanatic scale? I doubt it, because the chart clearly refers to Dogmatic/Iconoclast/Heretical choices, not talents you pick or weapons as such. This is another huge conflict, because a Puritan wouldn't be using xenotech either.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
wait for mod that fixes combat

but yeah its okayish game now, going to be decent after patches

good/great game would require overhaul of clusterfuck combat and balance. doubt its going to be better than wrath after patches

Dayyālu

Arcane
Annnd it's over. I will require more time to properly process the "experience", but holy shit Act 5 comes out of nowhere, has no buildup, no explanation, comes essentially out of another game entirely. At least it's mercifully short.

- So during Chapter 4 the Inquisitor forces us to fight the Chaos Cult. We need to be ordered around as we automatically refuse for ??? reason
- We get back, now the Inquisitor is evil for ??? reasons
- Fight entire Inquisitorial fleets
- Suddenly Necrons out of nowhere
- We gotta stop the Inquisitor guys!
- * several short dungeons and the terrible Ulfar quest later*
- HELP ME ROGUE TRADER WE NEED TO CHAIN THIS C'TAN
- ".... ok? Why not, I'm not even sure why I am here."
*14k boss*
- Inquisitor succeeds! Dies two weeks later as Ulfar crushes his skull making everything in the plot moot

I'll add after "who the fuck designed this" "who the fuck wrote this"

Amusingly enough the ending slides were only partially bugged, methinks it resurrected just 2-3 characters that I killed during gameplay.

EDIT: tell me please that the final boss in Unfair is something like 40k Wounds or something, that would borderline rescue this shitheap

notpl

Arbiter
So how is it? Is it gud or ghey?

ITS AN EXPERIENCE MY BROTHER

RoGVm6V.jpg
how the fuck do you get a +490% enfeeble

notpl

Arbiter
Also a thing the game doesn't react to: Psykers are a big no-no in Commoragh.

E: I like how the Iconocuck gets benches on the bridge like this is some fucking Google office. Why not have soccer table there too?
The game reacts to it, just not for the player. Your party's psykers get imprisoned in isocubes because of their abilities if they get captured with you.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
EDIT: tell me please that the final boss in Unfair is something like 40k Wounds or something, that would borderline rescue this shitheap

still gets 1 turn killed by officer + cassia (officer buffs + gives turn to cassia, cassia does her thing, officer gets turn back and uses ulti on cassia

I recorded clip about that 3 weeks ago

Stoned Ape

Savant
I think that RT would have been better if it had a lower level cap (maybe get rid of the third advancement entirely) and the game was balanced around that. I had fun with the combat during my characters first advancement, and it was OK during the second, but after the third (end of act 3/ beginning of 4) everything just felt a bit silly and I didn't enjoy it as much.

notpl

Arbiter
I think that RT would have been better if it had a lower level cap (maybe get rid of the third advancement entirely) and the game was balanced around that. I had fun with the combat during my characters first advancement, and it was OK during the second, but after the third (end of act 3/ beginning of 4) everything just felt a bit silly and I didn't enjoy it as much.
Coincidentally that is also when they ran out of development time and stitched together some half-baked napkin ideas for the game's third act and called it a day without so much as a single full test playthrough

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Coincidentally that is also when they ran out of development time and stitched together some half-baked napkin ideas for the game's third act and called it a day without so much as a single full test playthrough
You’ve got Larian to thank for that.

D:OS I and II ran out of new abilities about half-way through and sold like hotcakes.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Can anyone here tell me is there a wh40k game that would play similar to Xcom?
So fairly interesting "base" building, random missions, bigger teams, soldiers that can die and be replaced by others and so on
The closest thing to that would be WH40K Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters
It has everything your describe except for the size of field team, but that's the scrouge of almost all the new-ish tacticools.
I know about that one but it supposed to be bad. I was hopping there was some older WH40k game I do not know about.

It would work better if you had squad of IG or cultists and things like SM or CSM are special units that you cannot have a lot. Or maybe even some limited resource that you can call down during missions that only last for that one mission.

WH40K Mechanicus?

Yuber

Educated
How is the roleplaying in this game? Can I be an really evil asshole?

Yosharian

Arcane

still gets 1 turn killed by officer + cassia (officer buffs + gives turn to cassia, cassia does her thing, officer gets turn back and uses ulti on cassia

I recorded clip about that 3 weeks ago

Another thing that Owlcat is starting to get a reputation for in my eyes is being unable to balance the beginning and end of their games correctly.

Consistently now every game they make is insanely hard in the early game (Shield Maze etc) and absurdly easy at end game.

No matter what difficulty you select.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is this faggot libtard game worth pirating or have Codexers discussed it for 116 pages because you are goyim with no self-respect who love gobbling up corporate refuse?
I was really hyped for this. I avoided Cyberpunk and BG3 in favour of playing Rogue Trader. The game is fun and the Warhammer aesthetic is top notch, but it's filled with bugs that sucked out the enjoyment out of it for me. Act I is decent, so is most of Act II, with that in mind I'd say even a normal person can have at least 20hrs~ of fun with the current state the game is in.

Perfect game for Warhammer junkies. I just wish it was released in a better state.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is this faggot libtard game worth pirating or have Codexers discussed it for 116 pages because you are goyim with no self-respect who love gobbling up corporate refuse?
I was really hyped for this. I avoided Cyberpunk and BG3 in favour of playing Rogue Trader. The game is fun and the Warhammer aesthetic is top notch, but it's filled with bugs that sucked out the enjoyment out of it for me. Act I is decent, so is most of Act II, with that in mind I'd say even a normal person can have at least 20hrs~ of fun with the current state the game is in.

Perfect game for Warhammer junkies. I just wish it was released in a better state.
Some gaming sessions I think I spent same amount of time reporting bugs and thinking about bugs as playing. That sucked all the fun from it. And I cannot help myself because I want to play a bug free, well working version later in the future.
So now I just put it on pause for a while until they start fixing talents, combat and shit as that is what mostly bothers me.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yuuup, same. Every time I compromise with Rogue Trader and disregard its bugs there's always a new one right around the corner. In my last session there were background elements turning into pink cubes, which the more I played the more I saw. Just imagine decimating a Tech Priest and right after that noticing a bright pink cube slightly above it staring at you with its pinkness. Kills the whole vibe.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When I respeced my main into Assassin Sniper and tried him in first combat, I reported like 5 bugs with Assassin skills and talents in that 1st combat. Spent more time reporting bugs than fighting :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom