Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Ryzer

Arcane
I've noticed some T-posing guards after reloading a save, some English mistakes like "will make do", some auto-saves that failed for some reason in the beginning of the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bollocks. Not every single fight may be A-grade unique. But the bulk of them are clearly hand-crafted. There's a clear "quality over quantity" approach attempted. And areas aren't stuffed with combat just cause. Despite the focus on combat.
The same exact ghoul fight is repeated at least 5 times in the dark castle. Randomly generated fights would be more varied. I feel like people are playing a different version of Solasta than I am.

The Dark Castle is one of the few dungeons in the main campaign with a sizeable amount of encounters to begin with. However, yeah. Unlike BG3, which has numerous enemies that only appear for a single fight the entire game, Solasta is clearly on a budget. However, both Owlcat as well as Tactical Adventures still present the polar opposites in terms of encounter design approach, very clearly. On a budget, it's tempting to go all out on quantity over quality either way (and it will always be a compromise at points, as the money isn't there.) However, I've never seen near as much filler in any CRPG as in Owlcat's Pathfinders. Which is additionally compounded by the fact that they rarely do set pieces or involve the environment.

Which is unfortunate, as when they do involve set pieces, they can be quite fun. E.g. the defense at Oleg's trading post in Kingmaker.
BG1 was full of filler fights.. Nashkal mines..

Bollocks. Not every single fight may be A-grade unique. But the bulk of them are clearly hand-crafted. There's a clear "quality over quantity" approach attempted. And areas aren't stuffed with combat just cause. Despite the focus on combat.
The same exact ghoul fight is repeated at least 5 times in the dark castle. Randomly generated fights would be more varied. I feel like people are playing a different version of Solasta than I am.

The Dark Castle is one of the few dungeons in the main campaign with a sizeable amount of encounters to begin with. However, yeah. Unlike BG3, which has numerous enemies that only appear for a single fight the entire game, Solasta is clearly on a budget. However, both Owlcat as well as Tactical Adventures still present the polar opposites in terms of encounter design approach, very clearly. On a budget, it's tempting to go all out on quantity over quality either way (and it will always be a compromise at points, as the money isn't there.) However, I've never seen near as much filler in any CRPG as in Owlcat's Pathfinders. Which is additionally compounded by the fact that they rarely do set pieces or involve the environment.

Which is unfortunate, as when they do involve set pieces, they can be quite fun. E.g. the defense at Oleg's trading post in Kingmaker.
BG1 was full of filler fights.. Nashkal mines..

Yeah. Difference being, if Owlcat would have developed BG1, you'd stumble upon them every square inch. The "empty wilderness" would be no more. It would have been Mob Central. I'm very confident that if any of their games would include save statistics (overall amount of enemies downed), their numbers would easily trump any Icewind Dale tenfold to begin with.

Shaki

Arbiter
The game is cool, but holy shit, Owlcat is really something else when it comes to bugs. I don't understand how every game they release has like half of the talents and shit completely broken. I remember playing beta like a half a year ago and reporting rigorous training, one of the earliest most basic talents being broken, guess what, it's still broken now. I understand later, less tested talents being bugged, every modern dev knows that you mostly care about first 20 hours, rest can be fixed in the definitive edition, but cmon, how can you just completely ignore fixing pretty much #1 talent most melee chars would be taking, for like half a year?

Yosharian

Arcane
The game is cool, but holy shit, Owlcat is really something else when it comes to bugs. I don't understand how every game they release has like half of the talents and shit completely broken. I remember playing beta like a half a year ago and reporting rigorous training, one of the earliest most basic talents being broken, guess what, it's still broken now. I understand later, less tested talents being bugged, every modern dev knows that you mostly care about first 20 hours, rest can be fixed in the definitive edition, but cmon, how can you just completely ignore fixing pretty much #1 talent most melee chars would be taking, for like half a year?
Nobody could have predicted this

Ryzer

Arcane
I think it's more of a budget constraint, they probably don't have enough money to test the game extensively and create massive amount of non-regression or unit tests before releasing the game.

Harthwain

Magister
They likely had to rush the release, because there was something going on with Unity engine owners enforcing a policy after 2023 in which they were demanding money from developers per each install made by users after 200 000 initial installs. It's bait-and-switch essentially.

Lemming42

Arcane
Finding the writing a bit variable in this game, but Pasqal just got dramatically blown to fucking pieces during a battle and Idira said "oh, that's what that feeling was about". Got a laugh.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This game could really use a better line of sight indicator. I just fucked up by moving Idira into a position that looked good but where she can't actually target anything because there's a giant honking pillar in the way, that the game only wants to render if you're viewing from a very specific camera angle.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Started first playthrough, probably gonna get the Imperial/Dogma playthrough out first for now as it's probably the least interesting as it is basically "generic warhammer captain guy".

Going for a Soldier, Fortress World, IG Captain background playing on Hard.

So far Hard feels "right", compared to the Beta where Normal was the only difficulty availble which was too easy. Just finished the tutorial with the Chaos Spawn and this time around it's actually a decent challange (well to be fair it's like 3 party member instead of 4 because my MC got cripple due to me ignoring wound and basically had 20% chance to hit)

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
--------------

Owlcat_Eyler there is any reason for OwlCat to reduce the maximum speed up animation in turn based combat from 10 in kingmaker to 3 in wotr and removing this option in RT? I'm really enjoying this game, already got 10 hours and while writing this message, I am waiting for 8 enemies to take their turns.

Other thing, the encounter with tech priests in the act 1, is possible to kill them before the reactor explodes without using grenades, plasma weapons and other aoe stuff?
Press space during their turns or adjust it in the game settings.
So I am stuck at the end of Chapter 1, the Boss does not spawn. I'm getting my Kingmaker PTSD triggered again.

Owlcat_Eyler Are you guys able to fix a save right before heading back to the landing pad in after fighting Aurora?
The only one good way to know that is to send a bug report

I already sent it, there have been reports about this since january on reddit. What is your average response time?

I got the game on GoG I can still return it, I would rather not but I am not willing to wait weeks until you got your bugtracker unclogged. (I worked in QA I can imagine there is a lot right now)
tnx, I'll try to look for your report manually and pass it on to QA team later. But I'm not sure about save fixing :/

After sleeping a night over it I am willing to start new, as I can optimise my char anyways BUT do you have any Insight how to avoid the issue with the CSM battle?
I tried to find your report but to no avail. Do you remember any key phrases you wrote there? As I understand it, the CSM doesn't spawn in the Space Port, right?

I don't. I believe I have written something about the sequence after the Aurora fight not spawning, Could be that I named it after the location (the Monastary which name I can't spell out) and sequence or boss fight not spawning or something.

I deemed it critical and described that I was unable to progress without knowledge of what should have happened and that it's the only save I have prior to the CSM fight.

I really hope your Bug-sending tool actually works. If all fails I still have the save and can send it over manually.

Shaki

Arbiter
This game could really use a better line of sight indicator. I just fucked up by moving Idira into a position that looked good but where she can't actually target anything because there's a giant honking pillar in the way, that the game only wants to render if you're viewing from a very specific camera angle.
There is a line of sight indicator, when you click first time on a position where you want to move, the hologram of your character appears there, you see lines to the enemies you can target with your weapon, and you can also preview the targeting for any ability you have. Did you skip the tutorials?

Sentinel

Arcane
So, first conversation with Cassia on the ship after the rescue, she says she always enjoys our conversations. Immediately after, I get a prompt to meet her in my quarters, and she's talking romance.

Is this shit bugged? I haven't even spent 5 minutes with her.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So, first conversation with Cassia on the ship after the rescue, she says she always enjoys our conversations. Immediately after, I get a prompt to meet her in my quarters, and she's talking romance.

I hope it is, this is cringeworthy but happened to me as well (twice now) I guess it's intended.

The Jester

Cipher

I hope it is, this is cringeworthy but happened to me as well (twice now) I guess it's intended.
Kek

>>660144396
There's a bug currently that makes it so she immediately enters the final stage of her romance after your first dialogue with her. So you're going from "you look kinda pretty" to "fuck my gills" right away.

Basically an unintentional BG3 romance.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

She didn't have a male for decades. Do you really think she need more than 2 minutes?

Sentinel

Arcane
Glad to see owlcat can't even be bothered to fix their main waifu for the game's release lol.

Apparently it's a bug that's been in the game and reported for nearly a year too. Nice one.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
This is the first game that makes me cringe every time my characters level up. Also the first few locations feel like one giant Irenicus dungeon, can't wait for it to be over.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
One thing which I really hated is that seems like you can only get psy rating 4 in end game and start with 0 and that many interesting abilities from P&P like bio lightning aren't in the game. I'm playing a pyromancer at moment; Is telekynesis good in this game?
Stop talking about magic heresy

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1702136082747.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom