Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Harthwain

Magister
Cassia: Anya Taylor Joy Fishwaifu/10

Before and after warp mutation

i

I-is she a Deep One hybrid or something???

:shredder:
I thought she was starving herself, but apparently she had a plastic surgery.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I always found leveling up to be a highlight when playing RPGs. It's like being in a shop and deciding what cool thing you want to buy.
Yes, but going to the shop every 5 minutes could be a bit too much for some people. I think that's why some of the reviews are shitting on the level of complexity - their face gets pushed into the lvl up screen all the time, analysis paralysis sets in and they start acting like normies.

Probably the consumer culture is to blame as well. People just want to play the game, be over with it as quickly as possible and start playing some newer game, regardless if it's better or not. CRPG's as a genre, at least for me, require some time investment to be fully appreciated. People aren't that big on time investments nowadays.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Cassia: Anya Taylor Joy Fishwaifu/10

Before and after warp mutation

i

I-is she a Deep One hybrid or something???

:shredder:
I thought she was starving herself, but apparently she had a plastic surgery.
Yeah, buccal fat removal, it's been responsible for a lot of fucked up celebrity faces lately, especially in people who also lost weight from ozempic around the same time. It's like Hollywood has completely lost touch with what humans are supposed to look like.

whereas the likes of Solasta has designated dungeon areas with maybe a fist full of (hand-crafted) fights
Solasta has copy-pasted fights every 2 minutes.
Bollocks. Not every single fight may be A-grade unique. But the bulk of them are clearly hand-crafted. There's a clear "quality over quantity" approach attempted. And areas aren't stuffed with combat just cause. Despite the focus on combat.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bollocks. Not every single fight may be A-grade unique. But the bulk of them are clearly hand-crafted. There's a clear "quality over quantity" approach attempted. And areas aren't stuffed with combat just cause. Despite the focus on combat.
The same exact ghoul fight is repeated at least 5 times in the dark castle. Randomly generated fights would be more varied. I feel like people are playing a different version of Solasta than I am.

The same exact ghoul fight is repeated at least 5 times in the dark castle. Randomly generated fights would be more varied. I feel like people are playing a different version of Solasta than I am.

The Dark Castle is one of the few dungeons in the main campaign with a sizeable amount of encounters to begin with. However, yeah. Unlike BG3, which has numerous enemies that only appear for a single fight the entire game, Solasta is clearly on a budget. However, both Owlcat as well as Tactical Adventures still present the polar opposites in terms of encounter design approach, very clearly. On a budget, it's tempting to go all out on quantity over quality either way (and it will always be a compromise at points, as the money isn't there.) However, I've never seen near as much filler in any CRPG as in Owlcat's Pathfinders. Which is additionally compounded by the fact that they rarely do set pieces or involve the environment.

Which is unfortunate, as when they do involve set pieces, they can be quite fun. E.g. the defense at Oleg's trading post in Kingmaker.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
NyFY01.jpg

Is the 17 the difficulty class of the check?
Almost certainly (if it's at all like the pnp):
The difficulty level of the check is +55, which is 'trivial'. Your skill value (governing stat+skill boosts) is 30. So you need to roll less than 85 (55+30) on a d100 and you rolled 17.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Is the 17 the difficulty class of the check?
Almost certainly (if it's at all like the pnp):
The difficulty level of the check is +55, which is 'trivial'. Your skill value (governing stat+skill boosts) is 30. So you need to roll less than 85 (55+30) on a d100 and you rolled 17.
Ok, I'm not familiar with the pnp.
So if you have to roll lower it means the higher the difficulty modifier the easier?

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
--------------

Owlcat_Eyler there is any reason for OwlCat to reduce the maximum speed up animation in turn based combat from 10 in kingmaker to 3 in wotr and removing this option in RT? I'm really enjoying this game, already got 10 hours and while writing this message, I am waiting for 8 enemies to take their turns.

Other thing, the encounter with tech priests in the act 1, is possible to kill them before the reactor explodes without using grenades, plasma weapons and other aoe stuff?
Press space during their turns or adjust it in the game settings.
So I am stuck at the end of Chapter 1, the Boss does not spawn. I'm getting my Kingmaker PTSD triggered again.

Owlcat_Eyler Are you guys able to fix a save right before heading back to the landing pad in after fighting Aurora?
The only one good way to know that is to send a bug report

I already sent it, there have been reports about this since january on reddit. What is your average response time?

I got the game on GoG I can still return it, I would rather not but I am not willing to wait weeks until you got your bugtracker unclogged. (I worked in QA I can imagine there is a lot right now)
tnx, I'll try to look for your report manually and pass it on to QA team later. But I'm not sure about save fixing :/

After sleeping a night over it I am willing to start new, as I can optimise my char anyways BUT do you have any Insight how to avoid the issue with the CSM battle?
I tried to find your report but to no avail. Do you remember any key phrases you wrote there? As I understand it, the CSM doesn't spawn in the Space Port, right?

Azdul

Magister
Some random early impressions:

- Owlcat's tech has begun to lag behind their ambition. If they want their cutscenes to match their vision, they need to pour more resources into this aspect of their games. Voiced cutscenes with wooden faces clearly not modeled to be zoomed up this close, with no lip movements or facial expressions at all are very jarring here. I'd rather they keep to their strengths and focus more on gameplay, and I feel what they've achieved with the Pathfinder games is perfectly serviceable, but I'll say they need to make a choice here and commit, this is starting to feel half-assed.
Even Half-Life 1 recognized phonemes and automatically generated lips movements based on recorded voices.

There is good document on Youtube explaining why Mass Effect: Andromeda animations look so bad when compared to Witcher 3 or even Mass Effect 2. Modern tools used by EA and CDPR generate facial expressions and animations based on audio - but with detailed models and textures the effect is jarring unless animators will manually go through all of them.

To cut down the cost - Larian had done all their dialogue animations for BG3 in Malaysia. Owlcat had chosen even more cost-effective solution of making all their characters ventriloquists. After all - lip-sync is not included in basic Unity package - and you need to pay extra for it.

Shaki

Arbiter
Some random early impressions:

- Owlcat's tech has begun to lag behind their ambition. If they want their cutscenes to match their vision, they need to pour more resources into this aspect of their games. Voiced cutscenes with wooden faces clearly not modeled to be zoomed up this close, with no lip movements or facial expressions at all are very jarring here. I'd rather they keep to their strengths and focus more on gameplay, and I feel what they've achieved with the Pathfinder games is perfectly serviceable, but I'll say they need to make a choice here and commit, this is starting to feel half-assed.
Even Half-Life 1 recognized phonemes and automatically generated lips movements based on recorded voices.

There is good document on Youtube explaining why Mass Effect: Andromeda animations look so bad when compared to Witcher 3 or even Mass Effect 2. Modern tools used by EA and CDPR generate facial expressions and animations based on audio - but with detailed models and textures the effect is jarring unless animators will manually go through all of them.

To cut down the cost - Larian had done all their dialogue animations for BG3 in Malaysia. Owlcat had chosen even more cost-effective solution of making all their characters ventriloquists. After all - lip-sync is not included in basic Unity package - and you need to pay extra for it.
Owlcat's mistake is including VA in the first place, nobody needs this shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom