Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Robber Baron

Savant
The title art is really good yet again

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4188989134084439607

Void Shadows DLC Teaser and Date
Lord Captain!

Urgent report from Warhammer Skulls 2024! The whole of the Koronus Expanse is abuzz — encrypted transmissions report that the release date of the first DLC for Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader has been uncovered.
The Void Shadows DLC will reveal itself on August 8!

Brace yourself, Lord Captain! New adventures await you in the Koronus Expanse — thrilling, bewildering, ominous. Engage with the sinister representatives of an ancient Death Cult, and with their aid, uncover the menacing secrets concealed in the darkest corners of your voidship.

Welcome a new companion into your retinue — Kibellah, a skilled Death Cult Assassin. As you get to know her, you may begin to take a different view of your faith in the Emperor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2951990/Warhammer_40000_Rogue_Trader__Void_Shadows/

Get the Season Pass and don’t miss your chance to acquire your personal Lady Navigator figurine as part of the Collector’s Edition at https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/ . Hurry, the offer is limited!

But the news doesn't end there! Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader has now been verified by Steam and is ready to play on Steam Deck!

Thank you for being with us, today and always.

The Emperor protects!

ebd8c332ba64db99b63e4a3e613cb0d283b41844.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4188989134084439607

Void Shadows DLC Teaser and Date
Lord Captain!

Urgent report from Warhammer Skulls 2024! The whole of the Koronus Expanse is abuzz — encrypted transmissions report that the release date of the first DLC for Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader has been uncovered.
The Void Shadows DLC will reveal itself on August 8!

Brace yourself, Lord Captain! New adventures await you in the Koronus Expanse — thrilling, bewildering, ominous. Engage with the sinister representatives of an ancient Death Cult, and with their aid, uncover the menacing secrets concealed in the darkest corners of your voidship.

Welcome a new companion into your retinue — Kibellah, a skilled Death Cult Assassin. As you get to know her, you may begin to take a different view of your faith in the Emperor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2951990/Warhammer_40000_Rogue_Trader__Void_Shadows/

Get the Season Pass and don’t miss your chance to acquire your personal Lady Navigator figurine as part of the Collector’s Edition at https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/ . Hurry, the offer is limited!

But the news doesn't end there! Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader has now been verified by Steam and is ready to play on Steam Deck!

Thank you for being with us, today and always.

The Emperor protects!

ebd8c332ba64db99b63e4a3e613cb0d283b41844.jpg

So big patch 1.2 is coming latest August 8th.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will psyker powers become more in line with lore in 1.1.2 big patch? I dropped cuz fells like I was playing D&D 4e(not saying that is under or overpowered)

Mortmal

Arcane
Will psyker powers become more in line with lore in 1.1.2 big patch? I dropped cuz fells like I was playing D&D 4e(not saying that is under or overpowered)
I know the feeling. It means extremely balanced and mechanized with no leeway at all, making a wizard exactly the same as a rogue, just doing DPS in the same amount. It ends up not feeling like an RPG but more like a tactical combat game. That's what it is: just a combat gauntlet, and a repetitive one by the end.It didn't win anyone's heart, and it's clear no one even comments anymore. There's only so much patches can fix when it's fundamentally flawed.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Just play as the Navigator? Unless she got nerfed recently, she just bodies the entire game.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Just play as the Navigator? Unless she got nerfed recently, she just bodies the entire game.
If I understand correctly he doesn't want to be OP but closer to tabletop/lore.

notpl

Arbiter
He wants the entire game to be designed around playing a psyker, with your character being the most terrifying and awesome thing in every possible scenario and powers whose effects would require a GM live-adapting the scenarios to you on the fly, because that's how they're portrayed in some of the books/the tabletop game. Which, I mean, fine, but it isn't going to happen, he knows it isn't going to happen, and he's being annoying making basically the same post over and over dozens of times.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He wants the entire game to be designed around playing a psyker, with your character being the most terrifying and awesome thing in every possible scenario and powers whose effects would require a GM live-adapting the scenarios to you on the fly, because that's how they're portrayed in some of the books/the tabletop game. Which, I mean, fine, but it isn't going to happen, he knows it isn't going to happen, and he's being annoying making basically the same post over and over dozens of times.
That's basically Viktor's whole schtick. Should put him and Raggle in a room and they can vampires/urban fantasy vs. magicmagicmagic at each other all day long.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He wants the entire game to be designed around playing a psyker

Nope. Inquisitor Martyr despite the Diablo 3 style awful mechanics did a much better job with psyker. Same with Darktide. Something like it but more dangerous and risky would be perfect.

Not even worth a second playthrough
Was it even worth the first playthrough?

Nope.

I finished all OwlCat games multiple times, except this one. This I stopped playing and never finished my first run.

AshenNedra

Educated
We're planning to prepare an article with all the big changes that will be included in the 1.1.2 big patch. But this will be closer to the patch itself
Hi, is there a manual (complete) somewhere that I could read ?

I tried the character creation, but, knowing nothing about the rules, could not get past it.

Following builds found on the net in Pathfinder kind of ruined the experience for me. I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

Many thanks in advance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Balance cultism is worse than Baizuo cultism for games. Doubt? Compare D&D 5e with D&D 4e. That said, I din't liked game mechanics in this game, things are as bloated as epic level 3.5e and as gamey as 4e.
We are not talking about perfect balance, Obsidian style. Basic mechanics are busted in RT and you randomly hit busted stuff just by playing the game.
Pray tell, which Obsidian game had perfect balance?

Cause for me they had the right kind of balance: can be broken in fun and creative ways - if you know how. Item/class/ability synergies going trough the roof....
They had a goal of that in PoE1 and PoE2

The explicitly stated goal was always “no useless system assets and as few mindless ways to break the game as possible,” with emphasis squarely on the former. Sawyer said many times that he didn’t mind builds rewarding ingenuity and system knowledge, he wanted there to be no trap picks. Whether he succeeded is a matter of debate, but the idea that the design team strove for “perfect balance” or even thought it possible is an outright Codex invention.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Death Cult and Genestealers, me likey.

I'd like to like this, then I remembered I paid for an unfinished, broken product done by borderline scammers that can't even design a functional combat/character system.

If only there was previous experience to clearly and unmistakably inform you that buying an Owlcat game before at least two years have passed is a completely retarded endeavor.

Hell I bought Wrath after one and a half years when the Enhanced edition came and it was still too early!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Balance cultism is worse than Baizuo cultism for games. Doubt? Compare D&D 5e with D&D 4e. That said, I din't liked game mechanics in this game, things are as bloated as epic level 3.5e and as gamey as 4e.
We are not talking about perfect balance, Obsidian style. Basic mechanics are busted in RT and you randomly hit busted stuff just by playing the game.
Pray tell, which Obsidian game had perfect balance?

Cause for me they had the right kind of balance: can be broken in fun and creative ways - if you know how. Item/class/ability synergies going trough the roof....
They had a goal of that in PoE1 and PoE2

The explicitly stated goal was always “no useless system assets and as few mindless ways to break the game as possible,” with emphasis squarely on the former. Sawyer said many times that he didn’t mind builds rewarding ingenuity and system knowledge, he wanted there to be no trap picks. Whether he succeeded is a matter of debate, but the idea that the design team strove for “perfect balance” or even thought it possible is an outright Codex invention.
You said the same thing but in more words. We just shortened it. Like when someone shows Biden saying "We are going to lapa rapa baka, whatapresur. oh well". And we shorten it just to Retard.

Harthwain

Magister
You said the same thing but in more words. We just shortened it. Like when someone shows Biden saying "We are going to lapa rapa baka, whatapresur. oh well". And we shorten it just to Retard.
Eh, I disagree with that take. Not having useless or trap choices is a praiseworthy initative in itself. The question is how to reach this goal, and Sawyer's way was very questionable from more than one standpoint.

Dayyālu

Arcane
If only there was previous experience to clearly and unmistakably inform you that buying an Owlcat game before at least two years have passed is a completely retarded endeavor.

Hell I bought Wrath after one and a half years when the Enhanced edition came and it was still too early!

You are, of course, completely right. My fault for believing Owlcat had a minimum of decency for paying customers, but I really wanted to play a good 40k RPG. I walked right into it but by the Gods if I'm going to be pissed about it when it's clearly blatant. There's malice in how Rogue Trader is built: Chapter 1/2 are decent and relied on the free work given by paying beta testers (to the point that the game at release still had the inbuilt bug report tool!) everything else was half-assed.

Incompetency, I can forgive. Difficulties, I can understand. Malice, however, is difficult to justify.

I still don't think Rogue Trader can be salvaged completely. The combat system can be rebuilt, the character system can be scrapped and redone, but the fact that Act 4/5 are unfinished far beyond anything Owlcat did previously seems difficult to be fixed in a meaningful way.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't think there's even a fig of malice in Owlcat's design. I think at this point the deal you make when buying an Owlcat game is blatantly clear:

You get: insane scope from a team with way too few resources to handle it

You pay: with broken shit and unfinished chapters

I still don't think Rogue Trader can be salvaged completely.

I think this is the case with at least Wrath at well. There are still tons of things that don't work properly and so much inane shit you have to get through like the heroes minigame and the puzzles being copy-pasted version of the same core puzzle ad nauseam etc.

The megadungeon is the definition of scope > substance. It's the biggest dungeon in the game by far and holds nothing of value except the boss fight.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
We're planning to prepare an article with all the big changes that will be included in the 1.1.2 big patch. But this will be closer to the patch itself
Hi, is there a manual (complete) somewhere that I could read ?

I tried the character creation, but, knowing nothing about the rules, could not get past it.

Following builds found on the net in Pathfinder kind of ruined the experience for me. I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

Many thanks in advance.
Hey! There are tooltips in the game itself, a small guide on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvfbRJvfGkQ&t=11s&ab_channel=OwlcatGames and a lot of build guide videos as well. Try choosing your style and google for the build, most probably you'll find something on it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom