Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
so, is the game worth it is as it is?
How many good turn based RPGs come out? Not many. So if you're itching for one there aren't many options

With that said, it's always better to wait on owlcats unfinished games.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.

I wonder if this translates into sales.
It's interesting to me fextralife isn't putting out any content besides a review of this game when the channel put out so many WoTR videos

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
And finished it finally, won't break any ground by echoing the opinion the game falls from a cliff after chapter 3.
Overall think i liked the game if only because wanted a 40k rpg for so long i am giving a lot of leniency to what was otherwise the single buggiest crpg i've played in a while.

But if you ain't a 40k fan and are rating the game on its own merits? The picture is probably a lot less rosy.

Also re chapter 5, at some point i might rant about how much of a letdown chap 5 is but one of the random things that felt amateur is how they just outright hand you a bunch of the game's best gear "for free" right before final boss. Wtf am i going to do with TWO sets of sob power armor or sm frost axe?
A minor none game breaking thing but who the hell does that in a crpg? Just gave me the impression they did the entire finale at the last second and were crunching like mad which is why chap5 feels so small and streamlined, you just bouncing from one combat arena to the next with very little exploring or rping to do.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just gave me the impression they did the entire finale at the last second and were crunching like mad which is why chap5 feels so small and streamlined, you just bouncing from one combat arena to the next with very little exploring or rping to do.

They definitely are

Same problem with KM, WOTR. Their last few chapters are all incredibly lacking in content

And as people said due to the Unity fuckery this is a rushed release

Rhobar121

Scholar
Random encounters in this game are just as shitty as in Pathfinder, except that now they are mostly boring time wasters that don't add anything.
Why the hell are they even in the game?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
farm xp / cargo for factions :?

luckily you can skip nearly all of those by giving up cargo

notpl

Arbiter
Just gave me the impression they did the entire finale at the last second and were crunching like mad which is why chap5 feels so small and streamlined, you just bouncing from one combat arena to the next with very little exploring or rping to do.

They definitely are

Same problem with KM, WOTR. Their last few chapters are all incredibly lacking in content

And as people said due to the Unity fuckery this is a rushed release
This isn't true! WotR's chapter 4 is an entirely new hub area! The game's later chapters are mammoth, how much game do you people fucking want?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.

More than likely, I noticed there was absolutely no advertisement before. The game was announced nowhere, and I just got it because of the Steam mail that one item on my wishlist was available. It's very odd, as we are still talking about the Warhammer 40K license. I was surprised it was out; I had completely forgotten about it. Sounds like they completely ran out of cash and had to release.
It didn't have any less advertising than Wrath or Kingmaker, and it peaked at same players number as Wrath which is a pretty damn good for Owlcat, considering the switch in setting and going TB instead of RTwP.

I also very much doubt they're running out of money, considering how much bank they're making on Wrath DLCs.

You just got used to seeing Bear Gay 3 in your tiktok feed and favourite subreddits, and forgot that it's the exception, and all the other party based RPGs are still very much niche and not noticeable in the mainstream. You tend to know about the release dates of this type of games, only when you specifically follow them.

How much bank are they making on Wrath DLCs anyway? Cause they have poured so much time and effort into them that I am not sure if it even was profitable. The reduced DLC of Rogue Trader probably does suggest Owlcat realized this treating their single player games like they are Path of Exile probably isn't working.
I think so too. Most of these DLCs were designed before or around the release of Wrath. It is true that they are based on elements that have already been made, but at least the voices had to be recorded again. This doesn't sound very economical (no matter how much some people here like Owlcat, this company is still operating in a niche). Maybe it had something to do with Paizo? We don't know the details, but I can imagine how in Woke Rage their management disowned Owlcat for the Russian roots of this Cypriot company.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How are you supposed to win Act 3 Malice fight with 3 undergeared dudes?!
And you cannot even start the fight by attacking anyone but one person needs to talk to Malice and then gets destroyed on their turn being attacked by everyone..
Edit: stupid fight. Basically load save until Argenta goes first so can just run away on turn 1 before she gets killed..

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter

More than likely, I noticed there was absolutely no advertisement before. The game was announced nowhere, and I just got it because of the Steam mail that one item on my wishlist was available. It's very odd, as we are still talking about the Warhammer 40K license. I was surprised it was out; I had completely forgotten about it. Sounds like they completely ran out of cash and had to release.
It didn't have any less advertising than Wrath or Kingmaker, and it peaked at same players number as Wrath which is a pretty damn good for Owlcat, considering the switch in setting and going TB instead of RTwP.

I also very much doubt they're running out of money, considering how much bank they're making on Wrath DLCs.

You just got used to seeing Bear Gay 3 in your tiktok feed and favourite subreddits, and forgot that it's the exception, and all the other party based RPGs are still very much niche and not noticeable in the mainstream. You tend to know about the release dates of this type of games, only when you specifically follow them.

How much bank are they making on Wrath DLCs anyway? Cause they have poured so much time and effort into them that I am not sure if it even was profitable. The reduced DLC of Rogue Trader probably does suggest Owlcat realized this treating their single player games like they are Path of Exile probably isn't working.
Time and effort? Most of these DLCs are shit and barely add anything worth paying for. RT DLCs aren't supposed to be "reduced", on the contrary they're supposed to be big ~15 hours additions to the main campaign and each include additional fully integrated companion.

Wrath DLCs still must've sold great, otherwise they wouldn't make a second season pass, but it's quite obvious that the content for the main campaign is selling the best, that's why they're making a few bigger pricy main game expansions for RT, rather than 9000 small sidecontent DLCs again.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't know if I'll be able to finish this game, I'm only at the end of Act 2 and I already don't want to play.
In terms of mechanics, the game is simply much worse than WotR, but this is probably due to 1e. Owlcat has proven that it is not competent enough to create its own system. This is a failure at the level of PoE or the armor system from DoS2.

The character progression system is shitty and extremely unbalanced, even though it is greatly simplified.
Talents are divided into those that are strong, those that are shitty, or those that do absolutely nothing (even if they worked properly).
There is nothing in between. I have the impression that they were only included to give the illusion of choice. Psyker is better because it has a lot of additional talents (half of them don't work).
Active skills are also shitty or poorly thought out (like the ultimate for Master Tactician which will most likely do more damage to your team) and don't provide much variety in builds.

BG3 was a much better game in terms of combat design and wasn't half as tiring as this game.
Rogue Trader has too much combat that isn't even good.
This game can't even boast of having challenging gameplay. The game's difficulty level is very low even though I try hard not to use the most broken combinations and officers.
The difficulty level is somewhere around BG3 level, but the Larian game has such good foundations that modding it to make the fight difficult wasn't any problem.

std::namespace

owlscat designers are just mental midgets
that navigator fight on draganus is literally copy pasted twice
same ~7 elites and 1 nav
twice in a row
how moronic do you have to be to put this into the game?
nvm, its owlscat

Rhobar121

Scholar
Another bug. How much will it fuck me when i unlocks the next project ranks?
2zAjQQZ.png

Shaki

Arbiter
owlscat designers are just mental midgets
that navigator fight on draganus is literally copy pasted twice
same ~7 elites and 1 nav
twice in a row
how moronic do you have to be to put this into the game?
nvm, its owlscat
What navigator fight? If youre talking about the Cassia quest, I had only one fight there, there was no copy paste?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys, I have an important question for you all
What do you think about the Heretical Path in the game? Did you like it or not? If not - why? The question is about the story in general, not about the bugs. (I know that they impact the experience too, of course, but let's try focusing on the story)
By the way, happy holidays everyone!
It's very bizarre in its interpretation of "heretical" as simply being goofy d&d chaotic evil. I forget where I read this, but I saw someone say it feels less like your character is being corrupted by chaos, and more like you're playing a lifelong devoted chaos cultist who has just at this exact moment decided to stop wearing his disguise. And for some reason, it takes four chapters for your companions to start taking you seriously when you steeple your fingers, laugh maniacally, and yell MAY CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD. Some subtlety, restraint, and escalation in the early chapters would have made all the difference.

As an aside, I'd like to reiterate that the present state of the game is unacceptable, and moreover the outreach team's response has made things worse, not better. The only admission I've seen anywhere from Owlcat that they fucked up was one steam discussions excuse post (as opposed to apology) about how it simply cannot be helped, because Owlcat just loves making content soooo much, they can't help themselves from continually adding stuff to the game right up until the last minute... which is all well and good, except anyone with eyes to see can tell that chapters 3 onward are threadbare and the game was rushed out the door at least six months before it was ready. No one likes being lied to, and an honest and transparent account of what went wrong and how the team intends to prevent this situation in the future will help Owlcat's reputation far more than these sisyphean patches, since we both know it's going to be a long time before they get the game in a truly release-ready state.
I wholeheartedly agree: It would work much better if you got some tempting Chaotic choices (like the one with the weapon fragment early on), where going heretical makes things much easier for you and your crew in the short run.

Some heretical choices are blatantly chaotic stupid evil,
like the heretical choice you get when first downing Aurora in chapter 1. Being able to sleight of hand something that looked powerful and tainted would have been much better than going "Lol, I'll be a better chaos champion than you were" in front of your crew IMO. There is even a Steam thread of people getting triggered by this here.

std::namespace

What navigator fight? If youre talking about the Cassia quest, I had only one fight there, there was no copy paste?
i fought inside the palace once ("assassination attempt" which is presented in such a garbage way, i didnt realize wtf was happeing) and again outside, i thought it triggers when the nav receives enough dmg
doesnt matter why it happens, it should not be happing, except if your designer is a moron

Shaki

Arbiter
i fought inside the palace once ("assassination attempt" which is presented in such a garbage way, i didnt realize wtf was happeing) and again outside, i thought it triggers when the nav receives enough dmg
doesnt matter why it happens, it should not be happing, except if your designer is a moron
In my game there was only one fight, I beat her in the palace, got to talk to her once she was downed and choose her fate, that's it.

You don’t even have a single autoturret which would chunk the bitch immediately in the palace of the capital city of a dynasty that includes a forgeworld….

LOL scrub trader.

That abandoned bunker on the poison gas planet has better protection… ditto some random ice planet in the middle of nowhere.

ArchAngel

Arcane
In my game there was only one fight, I beat her in the palace, got to talk to her once she was downed and choose her fate, that's it.
That is my experience as well.
Maybe if you drop her below some hp but don't finish her she runs away?!

Incendax

Augur
It's interesting to me fextralife isn't putting out any content besides a review of this game when the channel put out so many WoTR videos
Fextralife is a cancer that's just here to get clicks and traffic, not share anything resembling accurate information beyond what can generate moar clicks and traffic. If something isn't popular, they ditch it lightning fast, and even if it is popular they don't care beyond the bare minimum necessary to generate revenue.

Not to mention the whole alleged paying bots to downvote mentions of non Fextra sites, the forced video plays in their webpages to generate views, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom