Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

TwoEdge

Scholar
I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.

I wonder if this translates into sales.
Another, more reliable data point, is the record concurrent and actual player count. Kingmaker peaked at 22,536 users on Steam and sits at 852. Wrath peaked at 46,563 and has 2,997. Rogue Trader reached 37,094 and has 16,773 right now. It's a downward trend, I'd say, but not dramatic. Still, maybe that's why Owlcat is trying to diversify and get into 3rd person games next if rumors are true.

EDIT(thanks, Dishonoredbr ): Rogue Trader peaked at 45,405 (stupid Steamcharts). So not a decline, but stagnation.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.

Another, more reliable data point, is the record concurrent and actual player count. Kingmaker peaked at 22,536 users on Steam and sits at 852. Wrath peaked at 46,563 and has 2,997. Rogue Trader reached 37,094 and has 16,773 right now. It's a downward trend, I'd say, but not dramatic. Still, maybe that's why Owlcat is trying to diversify and get into 3rd person games next if rumors are true.
Actually Rogue Trader peaked 45,405. For some reason Steam charts start to count RT on December 11 , instead of Dec 7.
https://steamdb.info/app/2186680/charts/

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Owlcat is trying to diversify and get into 3rd person games next if rumors are true.

Owlcat has been looking for 3D game programmer and artist since Wrath. Whatever they are making it should've already been in pre-production.

That being said if they can't fix shit for these top down RPG, if they are trying to make action 3D RPG it's 100% going to be unplayable buggy jank

Shaki

Arbiter

The better the game is the less discussion it generates, because what's there to talk about? Just patting each other on the back and saying "yeah dude, we both like the game very cool" is boring af. Even in this thread, most of the discussion is about bugs, because it's really hard to hate anything else about RT.

Meanwhile Bear Gay 3 can generate 9000 pages because it's really fun to shit on the degeneracy and fight the redditors who think it's the best game of all time. All the retarded shit in it generates strong emotions, so the discussion will be going for a looooong time.

Mortmal

Arcane

More than likely, I noticed there was absolutely no advertisement before. The game was announced nowhere, and I just got it because of the Steam mail that one item on my wishlist was available. It's very odd, as we are still talking about the Warhammer 40K license. I was surprised it was out; I had completely forgotten about it. Sounds like they completely ran out of cash and had to release.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
fight the redditors who think it's the best game of all time.

For us, yes, Baizuo's Gate 3 is not that great; Now look for the perspective of a zoomer who only played gear farming cooldown managing games like Diablo 3/retail wow/Dragon Age Inquisition. And I honestly liked BG3 more than this game TBH I had much more fun playing Darktide and Inquisitor Martyr than this game, despite hating the artificial gear dependency and D3 mechancis in Martyr(if Martyr was a Diablo 1 clone instead of Diablo 3...)

. It's very odd, as we are still talking about the Warhammer 40K license.

Yep. But OwlCat don't have Larian tier marketing budget. For a very small Russian Cyprus company, they have a huge playerbase

Shaki

Arbiter

More than likely, I noticed there was absolutely no advertisement before. The game was announced nowhere, and I just got it because of the Steam mail that one item on my wishlist was available. It's very odd, as we are still talking about the Warhammer 40K license. I was surprised it was out; I had completely forgotten about it. Sounds like they completely ran out of cash and had to release.
It didn't have any less advertising than Wrath or Kingmaker, and it peaked at same players number as Wrath which is a pretty damn good for Owlcat, considering the switch in setting and going TB instead of RTwP.

I also very much doubt they're running out of money, considering how much bank they're making on Wrath DLCs.

You just got used to seeing Bear Gay 3 in your tiktok feed and favourite subreddits, and forgot that it's the exception, and all the other party based RPGs are still very much niche and not noticeable in the mainstream. You tend to know about the release dates of this type of games, only when you specifically follow them.

Sunri

Liturgist

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Season Pass​

Rogue Trader: Game
  1. Void Shadows
(coming June 2024)

The first major story expansion is all about the Rogue Trader's voidship, the life of its crew, and the threats lurking in its holds. Dive into a new epic story integrated into the main narrative, battle new enemies, and recruit a new companion — a death cult assassin. Explore new decks of your voidship, unlock new upgrade options, and master the mechanics of void combat. Meet new members of your crew on the bridge, such as the Astropath, the chirurgeon, and others.
The events of this story will be reflected in the game's epilogue.

This expansion offers 15 hours of gameplay.

2. Lex Imperialis
(coming December 2024)

The second major story expansion sees the Lord Captain join forces with a new companion — a member of the Adeptus Arbites. As the past of House von Valancius begins to present itself in a new light, the Rogue Trader faces difficult decisions that may affect the future of the entire Koronus Expanse.
Over the course of this story, you will get a chance to learn more about the collection of the Imperial Tithe, otherwise known as the Grand Harvesting. Interfere with this fundamental process of the Imperium at your own peril. Discover new areas, game mechanics, and archetypes — and of course, encounter new horrors of the Immaterium.

This expansion likewise offers 15 hours of gameplay.

ArchAngel

Arcane

1. Void Shadows
(coming June 2024)

The first major story expansion is all about the Rogue Trader's voidship, the life of its crew, and the threats lurking in its holds. Dive into a new epic story integrated into the main narrative, battle new enemies, and recruit a new companion — a death cult assassin. Explore new decks of your voidship, unlock new upgrade options, and master the mechanics of void combat. Meet new members of your crew on the bridge, such as the Astropath, the chirurgeon, and others.

2. Lex Imperialis
(coming December 2024)

The second major story expansion sees the Lord Captain join forces with a new companion — a member of the Adeptus Arbites. As the past of House von Valancius begins to present itself in a new light, the Rogue Trader faces difficult decisions that may affect the future of the entire Koronus Expanse.
Over the course of this story, you will get a chance to learn more about the collection of the Imperial Tithe, otherwise known as the Grand Harvesting. Interfere with this fundamental process of the Imperium at your own peril. Discover new areas, game mechanics, and archetypes — and of course, encounter new horrors of the Immaterium.

I am not giving them any extra $ until they fix the base game.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

The better the game is the less discussion it generates, because what's there to talk about? Just patting each other on the back and saying "yeah dude, we both like the game very cool" is boring af. Even in this thread, most of the discussion is about bugs, because it's really hard to hate anything else about RT.

Meanwhile Bear Gay 3 can generate 9000 pages because it's really fun to shit on the degeneracy and fight the redditors who think it's the best game of all time. All the retarded shit in it generates strong emotions, so the discussion will be going for a looooong time.

You're probably right. Personally, I was surprised by the fact that, in my opinion, the better game from popular on Codex brand is not as wildly popular as, say, Balurs Gate.

Kingmaker's popularity here is a separate issue. It's funny, I have about a hundred hours, but from several different games, and I always get bored when elements of poor strategy come into play. If this game were shorter, it wouldn't be a problem, but with such a long overall length, the thought always occurs to me, "Why am I spending so much time on this mediocre game?"

I haven't commented on Warhammer here because even though I've finished it, I don't find it interesting enough for discussion. This is a proper, mid-budget title. That is. However, I am curious how this will develop. Especially if Owlcat milks it with DLC to death. At the same time, they have the potential to create another, better turn-based game set in this world, without the limitations of the Rogue Trader system. Dark Heresy, perhaps?

EDIT: Season Pass answered my question about "milking to death" :D

Mortmal

Arcane

1. Void Shadows
(coming June 2024)

2. Lex Imperialis
(coming December 2024)

Well, at least you know the base game will likely be fixed just before June 2024.

Shaki

Arbiter

1. Void Shadows
(coming June 2024)

2. Lex Imperialis
(coming December 2024)

Well, at least you know the base game will likely be fixed just before June 2024.
rotfl, wrath still has some bugs that existed in beta (and plenty of new ones), and they're close to finishing SECOND season pass.

std::namespace

I can live with loading screens, but now shit crashes on saves and loading screens with 50% chance.. i just tried to quicksave after long battle and it crashed..
cuckbox pleb hoho

better game, worse sales
always has been
sales are generated by larpers and storyfags
good games are by definition filters

Lovecraft - the creepy chaos gods,
just google that shit, he stole from moorcock who stole basically from greek myth
personification of concepts does not need inspiration...

std::namespace

kneel before your new god, csm
bitUBpv.jpeg

someone around here was crying about hurr durr armor bad...

scytheavatar

Scholar

You're probably right. Personally, I was surprised by the fact that, in my opinion, the better game from popular on Codex brand is not as wildly popular as, say, Balurs Gate.

Kingmaker's popularity here is a separate issue. It's funny, I have about a hundred hours, but from several different games, and I always get bored when elements of poor strategy come into play. If this game were shorter, it wouldn't be a problem, but with such a long overall length, the thought always occurs to me, "Why am I spending so much time on this mediocre game?"

I haven't commented on Warhammer here because even though I've finished it, I don't find it interesting enough for discussion. This is a proper, mid-budget title. That is. However, I am curious how this will develop. Especially if Owlcat milks it with DLC to death. At the same time, they have the potential to create another, better turn-based game set in this world, without the limitations of the Rogue Trader system. Dark Heresy, perhaps?

EDIT: Season Pass answered my question about "milking to death" :D

What limitations are you talking about? Cause what you consider to be "limitations" is probably what Owlcat considers to be essential. Owlcat will probably never make a normal RPG and will always insist on adding unwanted elements into their games.

scytheavatar

Scholar

It didn't have any less advertising than Wrath or Kingmaker, and it peaked at same players number as Wrath which is a pretty damn good for Owlcat, considering the switch in setting and going TB instead of RTwP.

I also very much doubt they're running out of money, considering how much bank they're making on Wrath DLCs.

You just got used to seeing Bear Gay 3 in your tiktok feed and favourite subreddits, and forgot that it's the exception, and all the other party based RPGs are still very much niche and not noticeable in the mainstream. You tend to know about the release dates of this type of games, only when you specifically follow them.

How much bank are they making on Wrath DLCs anyway? Cause they have poured so much time and effort into them that I am not sure if it even was profitable. The reduced DLC of Rogue Trader probably does suggest Owlcat realized this treating their single player games like they are Path of Exile probably isn't working.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
RTwP sucks. Of all the issues with pathfinder games, RTwP was the biggest. Turn based is so drastically superior. Turn based takes a lot more effort and planning from the developer which is why it's not used as much. I haven't played rogue trader yet but from the gameplay I've watched the combat looks way better than pathfinder

ArchAngel

Arcane
everytime i post here its a loading screen!
I can live with loading screens, but now shit crashes on saves and loading screens with 50% chance.. i just tried to quicksave after long battle and it crashed..
Roll back to the release version, worked fine for me.
It is OK now. I've had crashes during loading since release but they were rare enought that I just suffered through them. Now after reinstall game went back to those rare crashes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
so, is the game worth it is as it is?
If you really want a new cRPG to play now or really like the idea of RPG in WH40k world I would say yes, otherwise wait for patches and a sale.
Also if you only play games once then wait for patches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom