Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

REhorror

Educated
Some of these Dogmatic choices seem to be rather badly written, talking about the one where you act snobby among the Scavenger's ship (where they treat you as courteous as possible) and the one in Kieva Gamma.
Really hope they don't mistake an Imperium loyalist for a heartless/pompeous snob who cares nothing about your subjects.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Some of these Dogmatic choices seem to be rather badly written, talking about the one where you act snobby among the Scavenger's ship (where they treat you as courteous as possible) and the one in Kieva Gamma.
Really hope they don't mistake an Imperium loyalist for a heartless/pompeous snob who cares nothing about your subjects.
Most do not care. Humans are just another resource

REhorror

Educated
Most do not care. Humans are just another resource
This is not canon for actual Imperium loyalists.
While they don't bow down to any subject for virtual signaling, they would still need to care for them because without these ragged men, there would be no one fighting for the Imperium.

Got out of Commorragh, finally. TBH fam I am not sure how I feel about Act III, I some of the fights were kinda nice (and certainly difficult), some were utter bullshit (like the final fight at the webway portal - Archon + bodyguards, turrets, reinforcements and two Grotesques from behind.... shiiiiiiet). The feeling of despair at the start (when you dont have your gear, are all fucked up and are suppossed to do fairly hard fights at the start) was p. stronk. On the other hand no space combat so...

Anyway, glad to be back. Unfortunately I wanted to start by doing Heinrix´s personal quest which is broken... guess I will wait for this to get fixed for now.
Ch. 3 felt extremely bare. Tiny map, lame fights, everyone is “crippled” but completely recovers by the end of the chapter… narratively, what was the point of this chapter? To make time pass? To scoop up an optional fag elf character? Pick up SM? You don’t even pick up any cool gear or body mods.

Should have had Ch 3 trying to find a torture elf base somewhere in the expanse: Explore more systems/track down rumors - find base - plan and attack base - find SM inside - THEN go through webway and blow the shit out of spire and return triumphant…. Not this lame ass on the rails haunted house. Gives the player C&C and eliminates that blisteringly retarded “betrayal.”

Place was a letdown.

Mortmal

Arcane
Just finished the game and it is bad....not many things i could praise about the game. Writing is really bad and unfished,the whole dogma heresy system is pointless,the whole chapter 4 and 5 i didn't get a meaningful option with it. There was not a single one in the "whole" of chapter 5 lol. Level design is terrible,it is generic cover based one,combat is slow and tedious.

In the end it is a 10 hour game stretched by shitty mechanics and poor codding in to an 80 hour game. What you uncover as planets during chapter 2,that is the game world. They had made a shitty zoom in map so you won't notice how small the whole thing is. The game also lack any real side content after chapter 2. You get the main quest and the companion ones,which are very bad.

The game is a buggy mess,nothing works as it should be,it is their most buggy game yet. It is impressive how much decline those people are making,their first game was great but unpolished,their second game was shit and this one is .......the worst. I generally can't recommend it. The setting is cool....but the good warhammer games could be counted on one hand,this one is not of them.
You are just confirming what we know, act 4 and 5 are unfinished
We know a lot of things beforehand, indeed. The positive and very friendly bias the Codexers have toward Owlcat. People will nitpick everything on the greatest RPG ever made, but here it gets a free pass—a game rushed with half the abilities bugged, game breaking bugs, saves corruption, lot of content missing. I am reading quite worrying posts about the state of the game . Not surprising but not acceptable either. It's not possible to enjoy something in this state, even if the game is potentially good. I understand people are thirsty for such settings, but it's Codex double standards at their finest again.

REhorror

Educated
Just finished the game and it is bad....not many things i could praise about the game. Writing is really bad and unfished,the whole dogma heresy system is pointless,the whole chapter 4 and 5 i didn't get a meaningful option with it. There was not a single one in the "whole" of chapter 5 lol. Level design is terrible,it is generic cover based one,combat is slow and tedious.

In the end it is a 10 hour game stretched by shitty mechanics and poor codding in to an 80 hour game. What you uncover as planets during chapter 2,that is the game world. They had made a shitty zoom in map so you won't notice how small the whole thing is. The game also lack any real side content after chapter 2. You get the main quest and the companion ones,which are very bad.

The game is a buggy mess,nothing works as it should be,it is their most buggy game yet. It is impressive how much decline those people are making,their first game was great but unpolished,their second game was shit and this one is .......the worst. I generally can't recommend it. The setting is cool....but the good warhammer games could be counted on one hand,this one is not of them.
We know a lot of things beforehand, indeed. The positive and very friendly bias the Codexers have toward Owlcat. People will nitpick everything on the greatest RPG ever made, but here it gets a free pass—a game rushed with half the abilities bugged, game breaking bugs, saves corruption, lot of content missing. I am reading quite worrying posts about the state of the game . Not surprising but not acceptable either. It's not possible to enjoy something in this state, even if the game is potentially good. I understand people are thirsty for such settings, but it's Codex double standards at their finest again.
That is the start of every good CRPG ever.

Give it a few patches there and there and it will be technical good too.

ArchAngel

Arcane

2 of some of the best RPGs I've played were probably even worse at release. They are called ToEE and VtM:Bloodlines.
On the other hand some games cannot ever be fixed, like Bear Sex 3, because their problem is not bugs or lack of content.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Hey guys, I have an important question for you all
What do you think about the Heretical Path in the game? Did you like it or not? If not - why? The question is about the story in general, not about the bugs. (I know that they impact the experience too, of course, but let's try focusing on the story)
By the way, happy holidays everyone!
I think characters , especialy Heinrix and Argenta should react and say more about blatantly heretical options. I would appreciate make them leave , try to kill or at least ask to speak with you sooner. Or make them corruptable..

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is written by atheistic faggots and trannies......you can't expect them to write anything good lol.

Harthwain

Magister
Idira base build essentially allows her to bypass much of the difficulty in the game. [...] She is pretty much the strongest single character in the game without bullshit buffstacking.
She is a liability compared to other psykers, she is annoying and there is no shortage of ways to "bypass much of the difficulty in the game" anyway. I am pretty happy with Abelard, Argenta, Cassia, Pasqal and Heinrix. I may switch Abelard for Space Marine (if only because I am curious how he would fare) and have some temporary replacement for Heinrix, but there is no way in hell Idira will get a spot on my team, even if I won't send her off to the Holy Inquisition (as I am a relatively nice guy).

notpl

Arbiter
Hey guys, I have an important question for you all
What do you think about the Heretical Path in the game? Did you like it or not? If not - why? The question is about the story in general, not about the bugs. (I know that they impact the experience too, of course, but let's try focusing on the story)
By the way, happy holidays everyone!
It's very bizarre in its interpretation of "heretical" as simply being goofy d&d chaotic evil. I forget where I read this, but I saw someone say it feels less like your character is being corrupted by chaos, and more like you're playing a lifelong devoted chaos cultist who has just at this exact moment decided to stop wearing his disguise. And for some reason, it takes four chapters for your companions to start taking you seriously when you steeple your fingers, laugh maniacally, and yell MAY CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD. Some subtlety, restraint, and escalation in the early chapters would have made all the difference.

As an aside, I'd like to reiterate that the present state of the game is unacceptable, and moreover the outreach team's response has made things worse, not better. The only admission I've seen anywhere from Owlcat that they fucked up was one steam discussions excuse post (as opposed to apology) about how it simply cannot be helped, because Owlcat just loves making content soooo much, they can't help themselves from continually adding stuff to the game right up until the last minute... which is all well and good, except anyone with eyes to see can tell that chapters 3 onward are threadbare and the game was rushed out the door at least six months before it was ready. No one likes being lied to, and an honest and transparent account of what went wrong and how the team intends to prevent this situation in the future will help Owlcat's reputation far more than these sisyphean patches, since we both know it's going to be a long time before they get the game in a truly release-ready state.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
warhammer is cartoony with the absurdity of the setting nothing really matters. The roleplaying portion of the game ur not supposed to take seriously as if you are watching pokemon or power rangers. Owlcat does a good job with the jank nostalgia getting argentina walk correctly and not get blown up when disarming traps reminds me of that one level in evil islands.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Of course they will, they're modern soycucks and that's what they think the Imperium would be like.

It's parallel to the way Feminists think that being manly is acting like a domineering idiot (e.g. Vice-Admiral Holdo in TLJ).

Saduj

Arcane
I feel like I've probably focused too much on critical path stuff and not enough on exploring/levelling up space combat. I've reached Janus and Dragonus and dealt with the xenos on the prison world. Haven't found the system for the third lost settlement yet. I'm waiting to be called to defend Dragonus. I just reached level 3 in space combat and am not optimistic about winning a fight against multiple Drukhari ships. Trying to find more winnable space battles in the meantime.

I just found the system where the pirates have captured a big ship and are trying to escape with it. What is victory condition of that encounter? I was hoping it is possible to capture it in tact. But it seems like destroying it is the only option. Is that right?

I just found the system where the pirates have captured a big ship and are trying to escape with it. What is victory condition of that encounter? I was hoping it is possible to capture it in tact. But it seems like destroying it is the only option. Is that right?
No, do enough damage to the captured vessel and it will go neutral and give you a voidship part after combat if it survives.

Shaki

Arbiter

Of course they will, they're modern soycucks and that's what they think the Imperium would be like.

It's parallel to the way Feminists think that being manly is acting like a domineering idiot (e.g. Vice-Admiral Holdo in TLJ).
Nah, modern soycucks are people who think not treating random lowborn humans like cattle is weird, and they get butthurt when their dogmatic character is expected to act like a WH40K noble, and not a D&D lawful good Paladin.

Treating commoners like shit is very much what Imperium always did, in lore they have literal quadrillions of people, commoners are a low value resource to anyone with any authority, nothing more.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Nah, modern soycucks are people who think not treating random lowborn humans like cattle is weird, and they get butthurt when their dogmatic character is expected to act like a WH40K noble, and not a D&D lawful good Paladin.

Treating commoners like shit is very much what Imperium always did, in lore they have literal quadrillions of people, commoners are a low value resource to anyone with any authority, nothing more.
IoM is basically Nazi Germany during war. Everything is focused on war effort because in grimdark future 41st millenia there is only war.
And in war human rights and value of human life is low on scale of importance.

Shaki

Arbiter

IoM is basically Nazi Germany during war. Everything is focused on war effort because in grimdark future 41st millenia there is only war.
And in war human rights and value of human life is low on scale of importance.
It's even worse than that, Germans in Nazi Germany probably had incredibly luxurious lives compared to an average forge world citizen, working 12-14 hour shifts with only one free day per year. And forge world citizens still live in relative luxury compared to Hive Worlds where most of the empire population is. Hive worlds are completely polluted dystopian hellholes, with majority of population on lower levels living like rats, never seeing the open sky, never having the smallest chance to leave the level of the hive they were born on, they live in worse conditions than pretty much modern homeless beggars, while still being expected to work often 14+ hours (some hive worlds have literal 20h workdays as absurd as it sounds), and being regularly beaten. That's the reality of life for majority of workforce in the Imperium. Soldiers have it a little better, having actual food and not living in the equivalents of homeless shacks, as long as they're in the reserve, but when they get sent on the actual frontline, life expectancy of a guardsman in most wars is less than 24 hours.

Harthwain

Magister
In terms of working/living conditions WW1 Germany is a much better example of how Imperium of Man operates (up to quotes, such as "The whole German nation must live only in the service of the fatherland"). WW2 Germany was much more mindful of "not losing the Home Front", hence it was much better for German civilians (compared to WW1) until the very end of the war.

ArchAngel

Arcane
recently game started crashing like crazy on Xbox during loading screens, sometimes even during combat. I now get multiple crashes per hour.. this has given me more irritation than any other bugs I found

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imperium of Man has no real historical analogue because it is just ludicrously grimdark.

There are entire agworlds where humans live in medieval-era conditions and get eaten by monsters just because the proper authorities (who either live in orbit or on another planet) prefer it that way.

std::namespace

this navigator is bugged dumb
everytime she hits lard on the face with her staff, my whole team gets castigated for -9 points and it stacks lul
2SeNMQb.jpeg

i also got tricked by owlscat and picked pReCoGnItIoN...
second turn my ass...
you need to roll over the turn "border"
good luck with 17+6 people in the fight
also TEH BEST news of all: if you roll over you dont recover ap or mp
ROOFOFLFLFLLFLELSLSLLSL GREATE ABILITYE PICK EERYTIME SS TIER!

std::namespace

agworlds where humans live in medieval-era conditions and get eaten by monsters just because the proper authorities (who either live in orbit or on another planet) prefer it that way
...ermmmm, thats russia to the t

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom