Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

std::namespace

btw endure, the nr1 vanguard ability, says it adds tougness bonus to deflcetion but adds bonus/2
owlscat interns, do your jerb!

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the reason for keeping Yrliet would be more related to losing chunks of story (though I guess Owlcat have made other paths avialable for that content?)

Yes and no - you can circumvent her, but you do miss big part of the explanation in act 4 when dealing with space elves. It was also impossible to have peaceful solution with them without her, but they patched it.

She's like Bioware's Liara or Leliana - she's the writer's pet and she has much more content than any other companion you can have (save for the dark elf, I killed him so I don't know how much content does he have).

Yeah I have kept her on my Iconoclast run, and it does seem as if Owlcat have put all their standard, "we must all love the Other" hopes and dreams into her - sort of squeezed it in there, where it doesn't really make sense in terms of the lore (in which all the factions are straightforward bastards, and there are only choices between lesser evils).

Or to put it another way, the mass of kumbaya crap that saturates their other games is squeezed through the thin toothpaste tubes of Yrliet and Idira in this game.
Neither Yrliet and Idira are as bad as Jae.

Now that's a straight out writer's pet character, feels nothing like Warhammer 40K. Both character AND quest.

Yeah I forgot about her, I never play her. She's like a modern movie girlboss character - jolly pirate with a former military background that "explains" her prowess. (In fact, coincidentally the Rebel Moon protagonist has a similar type of girlboss backstory.)

It's all so fucking tiresome.

Rhobar121

Scholar
btw endure, the nr1 vanguard ability, says it adds tougness bonus to deflcetion but adds bonus/2
First, they should set a maximum to 20 (maybe even 10) stacks of most skills.
The biggest offender here is vesatility and word of the emperor.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I'd rather that they had say a 10 stack initial limit then reworked some of the more useless talents as talents to extend the number of stacks (and not as generic talents, ones specific to archetype). Nothing wrong with being a bit OP but it should have some cost.

Rhobar121

Scholar

I'd rather that they had say a 10 stack initial limit then reworked some of the more useless talents as talents to extend the number of stacks (and not as generic talents, ones specific to archetype). Nothing wrong with being a bit OP but it should have some cost.
The problem is that it's not op, it's broken.
Currently, you can only accumulate resolve indefinitely with Heinrix alone. Buffs such as Shield of Emperor (armor) and Hammer of Emperor (dmg) scale with resolve.
If the fight lasts more than 3 turns, you quickly become immortal.
If you have more than one Santic on your team it gets even funnier.
Versatility is also broken - you can deal infinite damage or be immortal thanks to infinite parry and dodge (there is also a bug with burst weapon that gives you 2 stacks).
First of all, they should fix the talents that are not working. So far I've come across melting armor and blazing inferno (not to mention psalm of heroes which everyone knows about).

REhorror

Educated
Just pass the Inquisitor ship.

Yeah that can pass for a horror movie.

After done everything, I send a crew to check if there is anything left, got Heretical point.

I reload and nuke it from orbit. Praise the Emperor.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Got out of Commorragh, finally. TBH fam I am not sure how I feel about Act III, I some of the fights were kinda nice (and certainly difficult), some were utter bullshit (like the final fight at the webway portal - Archon + bodyguards, turrets, reinforcements and two Grotesques from behind.... shiiiiiiet). The feeling of despair at the start (when you dont have your gear, are all fucked up and are suppossed to do fairly hard fights at the start) was p. stronk. On the other hand no space combat so...

Anyway, glad to be back. Unfortunately I wanted to start by doing Heinrix´s personal quest which is broken... guess I will wait for this to get fixed for now.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Am I the only one who sees the problem here?
0siiIHG.png

H29Ohqf.png

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, I reported this on Discord like a week ago and I am sure plenty of other people did. Dark Sages and Capella Biologis have their texts/requirements/rewards switched.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The problem is that it's not op, it's broken.
Currently, you can only accumulate resolve indefinitely with Heinrix alone. Buffs such as Shield of Emperor (armor) and Hammer of Emperor (dmg) scale with resolve.
If the fight lasts more than 3 turns, you quickly become immortal.
If you have more than one Santic on your team it gets even funnier.
Versatility is also broken - you can deal infinite damage or be immortal thanks to infinite parry and dodge (there is also a bug with burst weapon that gives you 2 stacks).
First of all, they should fix the talents that are not working. So far I've come across melting armor and blazing inferno (not to mention psalm of heroes which everyone knows about).
I do not see versatility as broken but you gain it too fast due to all the extra and free actions you get. They need to tone down all bonus turns and free action abuses, this shit is redicilous (and I am not just talking about officers). Well versatility is broken for single target, it does not give full damage bonus making Burst fire even more of only real choice.

Btw if you think Shield of the Emperor is busted you have not seen Pasqal as Bounty Hunter.
He gets 2AP and a turn to act each time someone else destroys a barrel or one of the prey targets. Almost all his skills get off cooldown at that point. You can then proceed to stack exploits on one target to do mega Exploit Weakness or you can each time put exploit on one target and use Tactical Advantage to buff whole party armor until end of Turn 1 to crazy levels. If you want to, end of turn 1 you can easy give everyone over 40% bonus armor that lasts until end of combat.

Bounty Hunter is second worst offender after Officer as far as busted extra turn stuff goes.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just make it so ArchMilinant not gain instant Versatility by getting free turn (why would they, they can now attack and gain Versatility anyway?) and rework Wildfire or at least make the -1AP reduction MUCH higher and you can pass it as sort of balance patch. Dunno maybe make it start at 6 and reduce to 5 Versatility for the -1AP for Wildfire, that way you don't get to have your Full Heavy Bolter massive dakka at turn 2.

Maybe make it so that multiple Burst Fire in a turn also have increasing penalty because at high BS Argenta can just spam burst fire with like 90% accuracy to the middle target.

After that they can start thinking on reworking the other 3 advanced archetypes or buffing them

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Hey guys, I have an important question for you all
What do you think about the Heretical Path in the game? Did you like it or not? If not - why? The question is about the story in general, not about the bugs. (I know that they impact the experience too, of course, but let's try focusing on the story)
By the way, happy holidays everyone!

ArchAngel

Arcane
First they need to fix cooldown of skills. Stop with cooldowns that says 1 but it only lasts until character next turn that was given to him from any actions. That shit should be rare, cooldowns need to last until next round, not next turn in same round. This would immediatelly fix 90% of abuses.

And fucking limit extra actions to one per source per round per character.

So one character can receive extra turn from one Officer per round and bounty hunter can get one extra turn per round per his two abilities that give that shit. Or rework those so that they give bonuses to BH next round.
Characters switching control all the time makes the game super irritating.
I might need to respec Pasqal and take these abilities from him..

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
Another talent that doesn't work. This time Joint Offensive. This is starting to irritate me. So far, half of the talents I wanted to base my build on don't work.
It's good that Toybox allows for respecialization, I have to change the build for the 3rd time.

Owlcat_Eyler It's a pity that the log is incomplete and doesn't show critical hit chance with dots, which means I can't check if some talents are working properly.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah there is that accessory that gives prey status to every enemy (supposed to only give it to the highest hp target)

1703502821552.png

+ this talent gives turn every time something is killed, very annoying / broken

also regarding heretic path the differences between each path are very minor even compared to wrath that had 10 different ones so thats not enough reason for me to replay. secret npcs for each path seems to have same amount of reactivity that hirelings do

ArchAngel

Arcane
yeah there is that accessory that gives prey status to every enemy (supposed to only give it to the highest hp target)

View attachment 44946
+ this talent gives turn every time something is killed, very annoying / broken

also regarding heretic path the differences between each path are very minor even compared to wrath that had 10 different ones so thats not enough reason for me to replay. secret npcs for each path seems to have same amount of reactivity that hirelings do
It needs to be limited to once per round as it is super irritating.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

After done everything, I send a crew to check if there is anything left, got Heretical point.

Yeah that's definitely one of the most immersive, atmospheric bits of the game, real horrorshow.

Btw, just as a PSA, it's really easy to miss the final boss in that map. After the ambush, there's a bit where you go out onto an ice patch with darkness on the right and it seems like that's the end of the map because you can't seem to move into the darkness; you have to actually click past the darkness to move on to the final final area.

REhorror

Educated

Yeah that's definitely one of the most immersive, atmospheric bits of the game, real horrorshow.

Btw, just as a PSA, it's really easy to miss the final boss in that map. After the ambush, there's a bit where you go out onto an ice patch with darkness on the right and it seems like that's the end of the map because you can't seem to move into the darkness; you have to actually click past the darkness to move on to the final final area.
Yep, got it.
One interesting boss battle too.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just finished the game and it is bad....not many things i could praise about the game. Writing is really bad and unfished,the whole dogma heresy system is pointless,the whole chapter 4 and 5 i didn't get a meaningful option with it. There was not a single one in the "whole" of chapter 5 lol. Level design is terrible,it is generic cover based one,combat is slow and tedious.

In the end it is a 10 hour game stretched by shitty mechanics and poor codding in to an 80 hour game. What you uncover as planets during chapter 2,that is the game world. They had made a shitty zoom in map so you won't notice how small the whole thing is. The game also lack any real side content after chapter 2. You get the main quest and the companion ones,which are very bad.

The game is a buggy mess,nothing works as it should be,it is their most buggy game yet. It is impressive how much decline those people are making,their first game was great but unpolished,their second game was shit and this one is .......the worst. I generally can't recommend it. The setting is cool....but the good warhammer games could be counted on one hand,this one is not of them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just finished the game and it is bad....not many things i could praise about the game. Writing is really bad and unfished,the whole dogma heresy system is pointless,the whole chapter 4 and 5 i didn't get a meaningful option with it. There was not a single one in the "whole" of chapter 5 lol. Level design is terrible,it is generic cover based one,combat is slow and tedious.

In the end it is a 10 hour game stretched by shitty mechanics and poor codding in to an 80 hour game. What you uncover as planets during chapter 2,that is the game world. They had made a shitty zoom in map so you won't notice how small the whole thing is. The game also lack any real side content after chapter 2. You get the main quest and the companion ones,which are very bad.

The game is a buggy mess,nothing works as it should be,it is their most buggy game yet. It is impressive how much decline those people are making,their first game was great but unpolished,their second game was shit and this one is .......the worst. I generally can't recommend it. The setting is cool....but the good warhammer games could be counted on one hand,this one is not of them.
You are just confirming what we know, act 4 and 5 are unfinished

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom