Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
She is unless her 5% chance two screw you happens too often.. and it can happen on both offensive and defensive casts. From "minor" things like getting everyone around her prone which removes their next action to having her die and a daemon standing in her place.. fun..

I mean yeah I've got 2 - 3 wipe because she decided to spawn a Pink Horror or some Daemonette in the backline but it is what it is

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The problem with shoving Idira into the woodchipper is that she's an absolute beast in combat.

Yrliet less so, especially if you're already doing sniping with Argenta or your main; the reason for keeping Yrliet would be more related to losing chunks of story (though I guess Owlcat have made other paths avialable for that content?)

But Idira, unfortunately, is a genuine asset in the field, especially once you get that huge fan-shaped AoE that's similar to Cassia's :(

Idira base build essentially allows her to bypass much of the difficulty in the game. AoE Psy attack that Stun and take 60% of enemy health unbuffed? Check. Can increase those damage further with Exploit? Check. Can make them blind so every boss is stuck with -50 WS and BS Malus? That Chain Lightning staff you got at Level 1? It's Heroic act deal like 70% of boss enemies health and one-shot or nearly one-shot Elites? Check. With a cheap cost of one feat she also has +10 to WS + BS when buffing allies through abilities she also got at level 1? Check baby.

She is pretty much the strongest single character in the game without bullshit buffstacking.
She is unless her 5% chance two screw you happens too often.. and it can happen on both offensive and defensive casts. From "minor" things like getting everyone around her prone which removes their next action to having her die and a daemon standing in her place.. fun..

But, but ... aren't we supposed to be players who enjoy more difficult gameplay? :)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, is it shit?
Is an OK game. Mechncailly game is bad, even not counting all the bugs. It's a "buff and spank" game, what you need to do to win an encounter lies in surviving the first 2 rounds and buffing your critical characters (while if possible taking out 1 or 2 priorities targets). It has not much to be desired in character building department because Feats are balanced badly, some feats are clearly good while others bad. The fact that you are locked into 1 class and there are only 4, and the problem is those 4 classes are VERY specific in things that they want to do.

Writing is OK overall, some stupid part there and there but the setting also helps a lot in keeping most of it grounded.

So, is it shit?
Not shit just sort of mid. The IP restrains the worst of Owlcat's writing and while it is buggy as expected it's still better than the release of Kangmaker. There isn't really much in the way of character builds yet balance still suffers. Ignoring that space battles were extremely buggy for me they were very samey, with 99% of them just being your ship and maybe an uncontrollable ally if you got that upgrade that only serves as a bullet sponge against 5+ ships. Character progression happens very fast which may be a positive for some but it was tiring reading the effects of miniscule improvements so frequently.

Even with that it will probably be one of Owlcat's better games when the EE comes out a year from now.

REhorror

Educated
Have to say Cassia makes psyker useless.

She is psyker with no risk of daemon shit nor need to up Psy rating.

My fish waifu!

And come on this game probably ranks at some of the best combat ever in RPG, they did it!

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but I'm going deliberately slowly to give them time to patch the worst bugs as I go (I restarted after Act 3 on my Dogmatic run to play through the start again as a Heretic to avoid going into the final acts too soon). I'm expecting a decline after Act 3 because there pretty much always is with most long RPGs but if it's half as good as the first few acts it's probably going to be my favourite game this year.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3890611710911309795
Hotfix 1.0.81 is live!

Lord Captains! We're back with another hotfix 1.0.81 today to deal with some more critical issues.

Fixes:

• High Factotum no longer goes missing from the bridge;
  • Fixed some (not all yet) cases causing Ulfar's personal quest to never appear;
  • Fixed another case of dialogue in

getting stuck. It may be required to load a save before the dialogue for it to trigger properly. Remaining fixes for this problem are expected on Thursday.

Consoles and Mac will receive the same update soon, as usual.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Luckily they are eastern ortodox so for them Christmas is 6th of January so they can keep working..

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Psyker really is a shit-ass starting class. You pick Pyromancer expecting to set idiots on fire, and you can kinda-sorta do that, but Argenta with a flamer will be much more useful.

Aarwolf

Learned
the reason for keeping Yrliet would be more related to losing chunks of story (though I guess Owlcat have made other paths avialable for that content?)

Yes and no - you can circumvent her, but you do miss big part of the explanation in act 4 when dealing with space elves. It was also impossible to have peaceful solution with them without her, but they patched it.

She's like Bioware's Liara or Leliana - she's the writer's pet and she has much more content than any other companion you can have (save for the dark elf, I killed him so I don't know how much content does he have).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the reason for keeping Yrliet would be more related to losing chunks of story (though I guess Owlcat have made other paths avialable for that content?)

Yes and no - you can circumvent her, but you do miss big part of the explanation in act 4 when dealing with space elves. It was also impossible to have peaceful solution with them without her, but they patched it.

She's like Bioware's Liara or Leliana - she's the writer's pet and she has much more content than any other companion you can have (save for the dark elf, I killed him so I don't know how much content does he have).

Yeah I have kept her on my Iconoclast run, and it does seem as if Owlcat have put all their standard, "we must all love the Other" hopes and dreams into her - sort of squeezed it in there, where it doesn't really make sense in terms of the lore (in which all the factions are straightforward bastards, and there are only choices between lesser evils).

Or to put it another way, the mass of kumbaya crap that saturates their other games is squeezed through the thin toothpaste tubes of Yrliet and Idira in this game.

Sunri

Liturgist
Those fucking space wolf retards in act IV were literary running behind my team to empty their bolters in my back, what the fuck

REhorror

Educated

Yeah I have kept her on my Iconoclast run, and it does seem as if Owlcat have put all their standard, "we must all love the Other" hopes and dreams into her - sort of squeezed it in there, where it doesn't really make sense in terms of the lore (in which all the factions are straightforward bastards, and there are only choices between lesser evils).

Or to put it another way, the mass of kumbaya crap that saturates their other games is squeezed through the thin toothpaste tubes of Yrliet and Idira in this game.
Neither Yrliet and Idira are as bad as Jae.

Now that's a straight out writer's pet character, feels nothing like Warhammer 40K. Both character AND quest.

std::namespace

i hate draganus and everything around it
i hate the space "kombat"
i hate the colonshit
i hate the space movement and loading screens
i hate the random encounters
i hate the everything about ch2 past j anus

game went from nice to typical owlscat

Rhobar121

Scholar
Another thing Owlcat screwed up. You can put this on any character.
6Dxkgo4.png

Rhobar121

Scholar
Am I retarded and don't understand what melting armor is supposed to do or is it just not working properly? It imposes a 3% armor penalty, but it doesn't seem to stack.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got that super sweet helmet (Eyes of Joyeuse) for Heinrix that gives +1 psy rating per dogmatic rank.. this thing makes going non dogmatic psykers bad..
He also has Spirit Drape "ring" that makes buff psychic powers cost -1ap on turn one making Heinrix ultimate buffer :)

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Heinrix really just Tsk Tsk me and called me reckless because I didn't immediately kill Yrliet.. This man sassy knows no bound huh

std::namespace

fucking lol this fight made me ragequit... the navicunt buffs herself when i use the officer extra turn ability :lol: nice touch
'lard got bursted down twice
forgot warp immunity potion twice
idira got randomly wiped twice
and HERE i got greedy a staff turned out to be melee, i step back, right? its gonna be fiiine!
jenGOf1.jpeg

crit kill wipe
alt f4
FUCK
YOU

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom