Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

std::namespace

have you dudes noticed how the music around janus is a ripoff from that star wars tv series with mini joda?

REhorror

Educated
Some of these Dogmatic choices seem to be rather badly written, talking about the one where you act snobby among the Scavenger's ship (where they treat you as courteous as possible) and the one in Kieva Gamma.
Really hope they don't mistake an Imperium loyalist for a heartless/pompeous snob who cares nothing about your subjects.

Of course they will, they're modern soycucks and that's what they think the Imperium would be like.

It's parallel to the way Feminists think that being manly is acting like a domineering idiot (e.g. Vice-Admiral Holdo in TLJ).
Nah, modern soycucks are people who think not treating random lowborn humans like cattle is weird, and they get butthurt when their dogmatic character is expected to act like a WH40K noble, and not a D&D lawful good Paladin.

Treating commoners like shit is very much what Imperium always did, in lore they have literal quadrillions of people, commoners are a low value resource to anyone with any authority, nothing more.
This goes against depiction of Imperium loyalist characters.

There are cases where outright snobs get shanked because of their bad attitude negatively affecting the war effort. Nobles in general are educated with nobless oblige.

Cassia's portrayal is close but she still acts courteous if need be, Dogmatic choice where you act like a random asshole seems very out of character considering the other Dogmatic where you act reasonably but with the Imperium interest in mind (like telling the Eldar that they can live but remember humans stay on top of them).

Game probably has multipld writers and it shows.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
everytime i post here its a loading screen!
I can live with loading screens, but now shit crashes on saves and loading screens with 50% chance.. i just tried to quicksave after long battle and it crashed..
How did they pass console certification? I've heard that crashes and/or gamebreaking bugs are unacceptable on consoles and each console build(patch) must be approved by MS/SONY?

REhorror

Educated
I can live with loading screens, but now shit crashes on saves and loading screens with 50% chance.. i just tried to quicksave after long battle and it crashed..
How did they pass console certification? I've heard that crashes and/or gamebreaking bugs are unacceptable on consoles and each console build(patch) must be approved by MS/SONY?
It is the pivotal Russianjank.

TwoEdge

Scholar
AFAIK, certification only guarantees that the software will not brick the console.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did you play their earlier games - Rage of mages or Evil islands? Afair they were less buggy, but that was retail/pre-digital/pre-mass-internet era. You couldn't rely on pushing 0 day multi gigabyte patches.

Mortmal

Arcane
Did you play their earlier games - Rage of mages or Evil islands? Afair they were less buggy, but that was retail/pre-digital/pre-mass-internet era. You couldn't rely on pushing 0 day multi gigabyte patches.
I remember Rage of Mages; it was relatively bug-free, but let's not forget those games were considerably less complex too. I don't know why they release games in such states nowadays, even for financial reasons. That won't end well for them. I prefer a world with Owlcat existing, but it does not require prophetic skills to see they might end up like Obsidian or Troika.

REhorror

Educated
Wait, Owlcat makes Rage of Mages?

Man, so they are indeed AA-AAA in Russia then.

TwoEdge

Scholar

Most of them used to be Nival, so yeah. Also Etherlords, Blitzkrieg, Silent Storm, and Heroes of Might & Magic V. They've got quite the pedigree.

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated

Most of them used to be Nival, so yeah. Also Etherlords, Blitzkrieg, Silent Storm, and Heroes of Might & Magic 5. They've got quite the pedigree.
It makes sense.
I guess I understand the strategy elements behind their games, they used to be strategy game makers.

Emperor bless 'em.

Sunri

Liturgist
Are you happy with the endings you got, bros? I missed Wulfar ending because his quest is bugged I explored every planet with him and didn't find a trace of his buddies and he just left before final location Argenta ending slide said that she just disappeared bummer
TzVPblH.png

2Lk5l1s.png

OMdkwUN.png

7swJhqg.png

G6KjnIj.png

Vyxfo8F.png
KN4zxQT.png

uVi0D6j.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey guys, I have an important question for you all
What do you think about the Heretical Path in the game? Did you like it or not? If not - why? The question is about the story in general, not about the bugs. (I know that they impact the experience too, of course, but let's try focusing on the story)
By the way, happy holidays everyone!
Absolutely heretical, will show the writer the Emperor's mercy.
No idea about it specifics though, I ain't playing it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Silent storm wasn't that buggy was it?

Reinhardt

Arcane
still don't understand why no one called orkz. imagine chaos fag in shuttle mission was like "you all die!" and then SUDDENLY

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems I was able to solve my crashing issues. Something in patches broke my game but reinstalling it and restarting the console after that (because it would not load any saves after reinstallation) seems to have fixed it. In 5 or so loading screens and no crashes so far.
I guess I can now just enjoy standard bugs the game has :D
Edit: and it crashed in next loading screen after I wrote this :D

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.

I wonder if this translates into sales.

Reinhardt

Arcane
simple - codex really hates tb games. first game was rtwp and was most popular, second had two modes, rogue trader - only tb.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been getting so much into the lore that I've been devouring timelines, etc., and I was curious about influences. So what have we got?

1. Tolkien obvs, esp. as filtered through the earlier Warhammer fantasy game
2. Dune - a powerful psychic God Emperor who goes on a crusade jihad to unify the worlds of man, doesn't want to be worshipped but ends up being worshipped. Also the Butlerian Jihad (Dark Age of Technology). Also Navigators. (Interesting that some of the Dune influence is shared with Star Wars, but it's almost like 40k is a deliberate grimdark, no-hope inversion of the "hopeful" take of Star Wars.)
3. Asimov's Foundation series - the Adeptus Mechanicus.
4. Moorcock - order vs. entropy/chaos, eight-pointed star.
5. Lovecraft - the creepy chaos gods, but maybe even to some extent the Old Ones and the C'tan too. Also the idea of a veil due to be rent between the ordinary world and a realm of horror.

These seem to be the main fantasy/s-f influences, but there are also a lot of influence from history too - the Roman empire, the Dark Ages, mediaeval (Gothic) Christianity, the British empire, Nazi Germany.

Any more? Tyranids=Alien? T'au empire=Star Trek Federation plus Gundams?

One thing I'm not quite clear on is the Immaterium/Warp in and of itself - are there any antecedents to that? One thinks of the Astral Plane of occultism as a general influence, but are there any more specific antecedents in nerdy literature, or is it their own invention? (Amusingly, it's only since getting into this that I've realized how much Warframe nicked from the idea :) )

REhorror

Educated
I've been getting so much into the lore that I've been devouring timelines, etc., and I was curious about influences. So what have we got?

1. Tolkien obvs, esp. as filtered through the earlier Warhammer fantasy game
2. Dune - a powerful psychic God Emperor who goes on a crusade jihad to unify the worlds of man, doesn't want to be worshipped but ends up being worshipped. Also the Butlerian Jihad (Dark Age of Technology). Also Navigators. (Interesting that some of the Dune influence is shared with Star Wars, but it's almost like 40k is a deliberate grimdark, no-hope inversion of the "hopeful" take of Star Wars.)
3. Asimov's Foundation series - the Adeptus Mechanicus.
4. Moorcock - order vs. entropy/chaos, eight-pointed star.
5. Lovecraft - the creepy chaos gods, but maybe even to some extent the Old Ones and the C'tan too. Also the idea of a veil due to be rent between the ordinary world and a realm of horror.

These seem to be the main fantasy/s-f influences, but there are also a lot of influence from history too - the Roman empire, the Dark Ages, mediaeval (Gothic) Christianity, the British empire, Nazi Germany.

Any more? Tyranids=Alien? T'au empire=Star Trek Federation plus Gundams?

One thing I'm not quite clear on is the Immaterium/Warp in and of itself - are there any antecedents to that? One thinks of the Astral Plane of occultism as a general influence, but are there any more specific antecedents in nerdy literature, or is it their own invention? (Amusingly, it's only since getting into this that I've realized how much Warframe nicked from the idea :) )
Also Battletech I guess, but nowadays Warhammer has a mech gallery that is no shy from Battletech.

The Immaterium/Warp being alien space daemon that eats your soul is either the alien = demons in Christian conspiracy circle, that or simply daemonic possession stories.
simple - codex really hates tb games. first game was rtwp and was most popular, second had two modes, rogue trader - only tb.
Ironic as this game has the best Owlcat combat system yet.

Harthwain

Magister
I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.
Is it?

2018 - 2023 = 5 years to get 1028 pages for Kingmaker.
2022 - 2023 = 1 year to get 498 pages for Wrath.
19 days (7.12 to 26.12) to get 87 pages for Rogue Trader.

87/19 = ~5 pages per day (rounded up). 365 days in a year. 365 x 5 = 1825. 1460 if you round pages per day down to 4.

If anything the number of pages keeps GOING UP, not down.

Any more?
Holy Inquisition and Comissars are obvious influences. Imperial Guard is more nebulous one, because it is not an elite force in Warhammer 40K.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom