Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

REhorror

Educated
I trust the Eldar but still and it turns out that the governess is indeed having crab hands so....

user

Savant
Man, what the fuck, are you telling me the only way to get Ulfar was to talk to surgeon and let him probe Yrilet before the second arena fight?? And there's nothing else, no other option availabe? Nice "rpg" you got ther Owlcuck, this shit is more railroaded than Fallout 4...
Nah, there are more than enough parts for you to give him and he should be ok with releasing Ulfar. You can get two with lore Xenos, at least one with awareness, and one with medicae. Many notable characters also drop one (e.g. Malice, the Commissar, the bouncer at the Opera entrance, the Cthosmth monster and your companions).

Also you can get items from the doctor (and Malice), like you get from the traders. And once he is forced to leave the Opera, you can ask him again and get some better items too.

Harthwain

Magister
She died in our 2nd meeting along with all her cousins. I told them to stop calling us monkeys, they should have listened :D
The game really seems to begging for her to be killed. According to the setting, killing her on first sight is the right thing to do. She offers no useful information early on and has a shitty attitude. Then you find out she's a liar and has been playing you - which she only admitted in my game after I got info that would let me track the rebels without her. But she's like "No, for reals now, follow me I'm telling the truth now.....". You follow her and are led directly into a huge ambush.

That's as far as I've got. Maybe she makes herself useful soon. But I feel like I'm role-playing a retard for continue to trust her.
I find her to be pretty nice, better than the unsanctioned psyker and the shady rogue women.

But oh well, all these companions have their twists and turns. It's an Owlcat game.
There and twists and turns and there is just plain stupidity.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Beat the game, has to use toy box to trigger Ulfar's personal quest. But I got no reward from it, there are several space marine armors in the game and I have no idea how to get any of them.

Argenta's quest is also bugged. The journal says to wait for her return and she returns the moment I get back on the ship, yet the quest stays unfinished.

Based on the epilogue it's pretty clear they are setting up for a sequel. Hope the game sells well enough for them to make one.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also you can still get those random loot in act 5, both from map exploring and ship combat, but it's completely useless because you don't have access to the merchant anymore.

REhorror

Educated
Also you can still get those random loot in act 5, both from map exploring and ship combat, but it's completely useless because you don't have access to the merchant anymore.
That should be a bug.
She died in our 2nd meeting along with all her cousins. I told them to stop calling us monkeys, they should have listened :D
The game really seems to begging for her to be killed. According to the setting, killing her on first sight is the right thing to do. She offers no useful information early on and has a shitty attitude. Then you find out she's a liar and has been playing you - which she only admitted in my game after I got info that would let me track the rebels without her. But she's like "No, for reals now, follow me I'm telling the truth now.....". You follow her and are led directly into a huge ambush.

That's as far as I've got. Maybe she makes herself useful soon. But I feel like I'm role-playing a retard for continue to trust her.
I find her to be pretty nice, better than the unsanctioned psyker and the shady rogue women.

But oh well, all these companions have their twists and turns. It's an Owlcat game.
There and twists and turns and there is just plain stupidity.
As in trusting the Eldar?
Eh, let's see what I get for that.

Oh well, BLAMing solves all problems.

REhorror

Educated
As in trusting the Eldar?
As in: giving the player a better motivation to ally with the Eldar.
This is in like every Warhammer 40K games ever, from Dawn of War 1.
The Eldar is usually depicted as fatalistic or unreasonable, but they aren't straight out villainous.

In fact, even in current 40K lore, Girlyman is doing some major -might-be-heretical- old Human-Elf Alliance shit with the Eldar.

Harthwain

Magister
The Eldar is usually depicted as fatalistic or unreasonable, but they aren't straight out villainous.
Forget villainous, I am talking about them being outright stupid.

In Dawn of War 1 at least the Eldar were trying to stop anyone from getting the Key to stop the Great Enemy, because they didn't trust anyone else than themselves to be able to do the job. Which makes sense, regardless if we agree with their line of thinking or not.

Here you have the Elder acting unreasonable when it is in their best interest to be on the good terms with the Rogue Trader (I mean, they wouldn't want to have anything to do with you otherwise, right?). If you don't want to be nice, then at least you should give a good reason for the player to listen to what you have to say. If you are caught lying, then spill the beans (or provide a good reason for lying), instead of going "Just trust me, bro!". And if you finish THAT with an ambush, you can't really expect anyone sensible (even by our modern standards, not the Imperium's) to trust you anymore. I would put bullet in your skull myself.

In fact, even in current 40K lore, Girlyman is doing some major -might-be-heretical- old Human-Elf Alliance shit with the Eldar.
Temporary alliances with xenos are nothing new in games when Chaos comes into the picture and Imperium isn't able to deal with it on its own. Same goes for Inquisitors or Rogue Traders who make deals with them, even if we are talking about the pre-Guilliman era. It really takes a strong, overriding reason to bargain with xenos (Eldar included) in WH40K setting.

REhorror

Educated

In Dawn of War 1 at least the Eldar were trying to stop anyone from getting the Key to stop the Great Enemy, because they didn't trust anyone else than themselves to be able to do the job. Which makes sense, regardless if we agree with their line of thinking or not.

Here you have the Elder acting unreasonable when it is in their best interest to be on the good terms with the Rogue Trader (I mean, they wouldn't want to have anything to do with you otherwise, right?). If you don't want to be nice, then at least you should give a good reason for the player to listen to what you have to say. If you are caught lying, then spill the beans (or provide a good reason for lying), instead of going "Just trust me, bro!". And if you finish THAT with an ambush, you can't really expect anyone sensible (even by our modern standards, not the Imperium's) to trust you anymore. I would put bullet in your skull myself.

Temporary alliances with xenos are nothing new in games when Chaos comes into the picture and Imperium isn't able to deal with it on its own. Same goes for Inquisitors or Rogue Traders who make deals with them, even if we are talking about the pre-Guilliman era. It really takes a strong, overriding reason to bargain with xenos (Eldar included) in WH40K setting.
Well, as the time of this writing (Act 2 post-Janus), I haven't been lured into a jimmy by the Eldar yet.
So she's still trustable for me.

Of course my opinion MIGHT change with future events.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Based on the epilogue it's pretty clear they are setting up for a sequel. Hope the game sells well enough for them to make one.

Both this and WOTR has all time peak of around 45k players so I guess initial sales are OK

Not sure if trend will continue considering much more niche setting + bugs + in general poorly designed system

Rhobar121

Scholar

Both this and WOTR has all time peak of around 45k players so I guess initial sales are OK

Not sure if trend will continue considering much more niche setting + bugs + in general poorly designed system
This is Warhammer and considering how much crap from this universe has been released over the years, fans will buy anything that is even remotely good.

jf8350143

Liturgist

I feel like 40k is a less niche setting comparing to DnD and pathfinder when it comes to video games, mainly due to how GW handles their franchise.

There are way more warhammer games out there, most of them not as well received as this one(probably sell less as well).

ArchAngel

Arcane

Well, as the time of this writing (Act 2 post-Janus), I haven't been lured into a jimmy by the Eldar yet.
So she's still trustable for me.

Of course my opinion MIGHT change with future events.
Eldar are biggest assholes in 40k, trusting them is just asking for trouble down the line. It is perfect Iconoclast option for this game. Trying to be sane and "good" and naive in a world where that gets you killed or worse.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
The game seems to be doing pretty good. It peaked 45k, 1k short of Wrath's 46k, players on steam and was the best 2nd best selling game for a few days.

Harthwain

Magister
It is perfect Iconoclast option for this game. Trying to be sane and "good" and naive in a world where that gets you killed or worse.
Eh, some Iconoclast options are reasonable enough. Not in line with dogmatic view, but not outright foolish.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Is there a reason why Dogmatic choices always score almost half (or even more) as many points as others?

Takamori

Learned
Last patch made the later chapters playable or we still in shit territory? Yeah I might restart just to avoid any possible bugs with my save game being from an older version.

user

Savant
Last patch made the later chapters playable or we still in shit territory? Yeah I might restart just to avoid any possible bugs with my save game being from an older version.

Still in very shit territory.

Shaki

Arbiter
Is there a reason why Dogmatic choices always score almost half (or even more) as many points as others?
Because heresy is like sucking dick, you can fuck 100 women (dogmatic choice) then suck 1 dick (heretic/iconoclast) and you're gay. Being loyal to the Emperor is its own reward, but consequences for being a heretic/retard should be immediate and severe.

REhorror

Educated

I feel like 40k is a less niche setting comparing to DnD and pathfinder when it comes to video games, mainly due to how GW handles their franchise.

There are way more warhammer games out there, most of them not as well received as this one(probably sell less as well).
I think so because Warhammer 40K has the space military gasm that DnD doesn't have.
Then again, I'm nerd too deep in War40K so I might be a lil biased.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think I stumbled into more skill/talent/abilities issues connected with extra turns, I didn't even need a officer this time.
Pasqal is Bounty Hunter, he marks enemies and when someone else kills them he gets two AP to do non combat stuff (and all skills refresh as well which is its own problem as you can use this to kill rabble and then apply many Exploits on boss in one turn..). Well person doing the killing is Argenta that turned on heroic that gives her 1 free attack per turn.. so each time she gets her turn back after pasqal uses two AP she gets another free attack :D

Edit: actually I was wrong, this whole chain started with Cassie giving Argenta 2 AP so Argenta has one more full turn to do.
And she can get even more extra actions :D

Herumor

Scholar
I've uninstalled the game. In grand total, I spent around 76 hours on this and honestly I don't feel like there's reason to bother with this until it gets seriously patched up for all the quest bugs and visual glitches, not to mention some extra content - that's not paid DLC - is sorely needed if you want to keep people going back to the game to keep playing it for more than one or two runs. My first run was more or less Dogmatic and I expected way more changes with the Heretical run, but no, outside some obvious story points and occasional events, there's fuck all to enjoy. Oh and gotta love how your ship clearly becomes more and more warp-stuf infested, but no one bats an eye. Or about the the fucking prisoners getting tortured on the bridge of the ship.

Seriously, what happened with Owlcat? Yeah, Wrath of the Righteous could build on Kingmaker, but you'd think they'd keep up with what they had there and carry it over to new games like Rogue Trader, but no, it's just lacking.

jf8350143

Liturgist
This game has a surprisingly short development time. They definately pushed the game out earlier then planned.

My bet is that it's because of the unity engine bullshit earlier this year.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Oh good ol' Owlcat... Now there are difficulty spikes and then there is that boss fight in the Machine Cathedral with the Defiler. Some 12 hour shifts at work were less tiring and frustrating then that fight :shredder:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom