Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gradenmayer

Learned
Science fiction starts with the idea or what Dario Suvin calls the novum: the new thing. This is a device or premise that is scientifically plausible and which focuses the difference between the reader’s world and the fictional science fiction world. And it’s new, or you’ve found a way of making it new.

H.G. Wells founded modern science fiction with two novums; a time machine and, in The War of the Worlds, a Martian. A novum is not a magic ring, or a wand: these are magical objects and belong in fantasy. A novum belongs to the same hypothetical way of thinking as a scientific experiment.

-Matthew De Abaitua, 2014
https://www.publishingtalk.org/writing/how-to-write-science-fiction/
The above is pretty much the defining criteria which separates science fiction from other forms of speculative writing.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Space Fantasy and I do not hold it in lower regard. Whether I enjoy it is down to the execution of the work rather than its genre; there is highly enjoyable space fantasy and utter rubbish, exactly as there is for science fiction.
The founder of modern sci-fi is technically Shelley's Frankenstein. Author used the scientific theory of that time (that electricity brought dead frogs back to life for a bit) and imagined it's advancement- using electricity to bring human body back to life.

But yeah, sci-fi is built on the basis of advanced current or imagined sciences with huge emphasis on their role within the setting.

Thonius

Arcane
Why they always got sorta torn robes? Is that because they are sort of autists or because they augmented themselves in a way that prevents them to take it off? If that the case, how they solve issue of smell?
Also yes in some book I read that low level tech priest got their pee pee intact well it was implied, and some opted out for not so gruesome transformation ( not clinky clanky augumentation but subtle).
SO YEAH SEX IS NOT OFF THE TABLE REJOICE! Praise the Omnisiah!

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am pretty sure that 99% of Techpriests dont care about smell or whether their robes are torn/dirty, partly due to autism (especially in case of those that undergo the Rite of Pure Thought) and partly because their creed is all about viewing the body-related stuff with contempt. They most likely remove the robes only for maintenance purposes (though I guess some specific rituals/diplomatic meetings and such would motivate them to wear clean robes).

There are exceptions of course, most notably Acuitor Mech-Assassins (mentioned in the Lathe Worlds sourcebook for Dark Heresy, so they are quite relevant even for Rogue Trader setting). They are basically a secret order of tech priests which focusses on assassinating enemies through Hitman style "accidents" though there are also more stealth and combat oriented variants. Some of them look like normal techpriests, but many of them prefer more human looks for extra stealth. They also tend to be some of the most "normal" individuals in Cult Mechanicus, since they actually find ability to interact with "normies" and deceive them or even seduce them highly useful for their work.

1659258873052.png
1659259243797.png

I was in an Ascended Dark Heresy game once when a dude played an extremely hot female Mech-Assassin with no visible implants (inside was a different matter of course) - and her pussy worked just fine. IIRC one of the Ciaphas Cain books mentioned in passing that Cain had a "romance" with a low level techpriestess (who was only very lightly augmented at the time), so there is some support for this in the official lore as well. The thing is though that Haneumann is an Explorator Magos working for a Rogue Trader - as such he is going to be very old, extremely augmented and most likely as autistic as they come. If you cant fuck a Space Wolf in the game I cant imagine that an Explorator would be available.

Peachcurl

Cipher
IIRC one of the Ciaphas Cain books mentioned in passing that Cain had a "romance" with a low level techpriestess (who was only very lightly augmented at the time), so there is some support for this in the official lore as well.
Yeah, tho that one is a bit strange I think. She's an enginseer, but somehow not an actual techpriests, although enginseer should be techpriests? Probably was supposed to be some sort of layman mechanic.

Thonius

Arcane
IIRC one of the Ciaphas Cain books mentioned in passing that Cain had a "romance" with a low level techpriestess (who was only very lightly augmented at the time), so there is some support for this in the official lore as well.
Yeah, tho that one is a bit strange I think. She's an enginseer, but somehow not an actual techpriests, although enginseer should be techpriests? Probably was supposed to be some sort of layman mechanic.
Enginsieer is like служка i think, not really into cult but sorta part of it. Me thinks...
OKAY служка is sort of like free worker for the church, that is not part of church and not bound by church rules but allowed to do some work round church and help during sermons and such.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
I am pretty sure that 99% of Techpriests dont care about smell or whether their robes are torn/dirty, partly due to autism (especially in case of those that undergo the Rite of Pure Thought) and partly because their creed is all about viewing the body-related stuff with contempt. They most likely remove the robes only for maintenance purposes (though I guess some specific rituals/diplomatic meetings and such would motivate them to wear clean robes).

There are exceptions of course, most notably Acuitor Mech-Assassins (mentioned in the Lathe Worlds sourcebook for Dark Heresy, so they are quite relevant even for Rogue Trader setting). They are basically a secret order of tech priests which focusses on assassinating enemies through Hitman style "accidents" though there are also more stealth and combat oriented variants. Some of them look like normal techpriests, but many of them prefer more human looks for extra stealth. They also tend to be some of the most "normal" individuals in Cult Mechanicus, since they actually find ability to interact with "normies" and deceive them or even seduce them highly useful for their work.

View attachment 26676View attachment 26677

I was in an Ascended Dark Heresy game once when a dude played an extremely hot female Mech-Assassin with no visible implants (inside was a different matter of course) - and her pussy worked just fine. IIRC one of the Ciaphas Cain books mentioned in passing that Cain had a "romance" with a low level techpriestess (who was only very lightly augmented at the time), so there is some support for this in the official lore as well. The thing is though that Haneumann is an Explorator Magos working for a Rogue Trader - as such he is going to be very old, extremely augmented and most likely as autistic as they come. If you cant fuck a Space Wolf in the game I cant imagine that an Explorator would be available.
Can't imagine any women turning themselves into something on the right.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Enginsieer is like служка i think, not really into cult but sorta part of it. Me thinks...
OKAY служка is sort of like free worker for the church, that is not part of church and not bound by church rules but allowed to do some work round church and help during sermons and such.
Essentially, the book treats enginseers as mechanics supporting the Militarum, trained by the Mechanicus but not ordained as techpriests. But from what I remember, enginseers are full techpriests.

This one agrees:
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Enginseer

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine

TBH fam, there are wahmin in Ad Mech who turned themselves into much worse things, we can look at the Adeptus Mechanicus game for example:

1659293632263.png

The one on the right is still kinda acceptable in comparison to the two ladies above.

Then again, Scaevola can put on a nice dress at least for the special occassions.

1659293828047.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
She's an enginseer, but somehow not an actual techpriests, although enginseer should be techpriests?
Augmentations are expensive, and most techpriests have to work for a long time to afford more than the basic augmentations. She has a robot tail iirc, she just hasn't started replacing too many of her biological bits yet.

In Dark heresy sourcebook, enginseer is a low level rank for the techpriest class. Magos is the highest rank.

Glory to Ukraine
She's an enginseer, but somehow not an actual techpriests, although enginseer should be techpriests?
Augmentations are expensive, and most techpriests have to work for a long time to afford more than the basic augmentations. She has a robot tail iirc, she just hasn't started replacing too many of her biological bits yet.

In Dark heresy sourcebook, enginseer is a low level rank for the techpriest class. Magos is the highest rank.

From the Lathe Worlds sourcebook:

Engineseers

These warrior Tech-Priests operate on battlefields across the Imperium alongside Imperial Guard units. Here, they use their technical abilities to ensure that the mighty war machines of the Hammer of the Emperor function properly. Wielding their mighty double-handed wrench-axes in power-armored fists, they stalk the front lines as red-robed avatars of the Machine God, smiting all who would stand against the will of the Omnissiah.

Of course the above is very general (it goes along with how Engineseers are shown in Dawn of War as well as in table top 40K) and there will be more shades of grey to it. I am pretty sure you can have a “starting level” Engineseers who barely have any implants at all and might be down for some hanky-panky with a commissar too. It’s a big universe out there.

This thread has already gone full degeneracy. Congrats.

I am sure the best is yet to come. Stay tuned.

Thonius

Arcane
This thread has already gone full degeneracy. Congrats.
We are just getting started my man!
Of course the above is very general (it goes along with how Engineseers are shown in Dawn of War as well as in table top 40K) and there will be more shades of grey to it. I am pretty sure you can have a “starting level” Engineseers who barely have any implants at all and might be down for some hanky-panky with a commissar too. It’s a big universe out there.
Pretty much vague on purpose, to allow RP.

Drop Duck

Learned

TBH fam, there are wahmin in Ad Mech who turned themselves into much worse things, we can look at the Adeptus Mechanicus game for example:

View attachment 26691

The one on the right is still kinda acceptable in comparison to the two ladies above.

Then again, Scaevola can put on a nice dress at least for the special occassions.

View attachment 26692
Owlcat has a shot at making the first transhuman romance happen in a video game. It might be the one redeeming act of Russians everywhere as the rest of them commit war crimes in Ukraine and castrate people with box cutters when they're not raping babies and pensioners. If they just give us gamers this one cyborg romance then there was a point to the Russians existing.

Thonius

Arcane

View attachment 26691

View attachment 26692
Owlcat has a shot at making the first transhuman romance happen in a video game. It might be the one redeeming act of Russians everywhere as the rest of them commit war crimes in Ukraine and castrate people with box cutters when they're not raping babies and pensioners. If they just give us gamers this one cyborg romance then there was a point to the Russians existing.
Wow bro you just posted cringe, we are were having fun and now it's all political all of the sudden. Not cool man nooot cool.

MuffinBun

Educated
I agree with those people who warned that the size of the maps does not lend itself well to depictions of ranged combat. Too tight, completely implausible, basically pathfinder rangers/mages with guns. Lot of cool stuff could have been done, if Owlcat were willing to rework the combat system, rather than slap new assets on their previous work. The fans will eat it up, but it is very lame compared to what could have been. Look at that moment in the gameplay reveal, where in one of the encounters there's an eldar sniper positioned on the high ground - you can tell thats such situations are not a part of emergent gameplay, where you fight for advantageous position etc, there's simply that one rock that they put there for that one specific guy, to add some variety to the flat tight square that is the encounter map. Am I asking for something like Jagged Alliance 2? Uh, yeah, kind of. At least something inspired by, or trying to mimic some of the options. I'm not okay with the idea that an rpg developer can just get away with small symbolic encounters every time, without reinventing some of the gameplay to suit a specific setting and move away from abstract parts in favor of realistic expression.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Why they always got sorta torn robes? Is that because they are sort of autists or because they augmented themselves in a way that prevents them to take it off? If that the case, how they solve issue of smell?
Also yes in some book I read that low level tech priest got their pee pee intact well it was implied, and some opted out for not so gruesome transformation ( not clinky clanky augumentation but subtle).

Lol, i watched this movie a few weeks ago. It's (mostly) crap but the cyborg-ized guy was the high point of it. And he has something that looks as mechanical ass cheeks implants. This movie must be the only piece of "art" where i saw such wonder.

Thonius

Arcane

Lol, i watched this movie a few weeks ago. It's (mostly) crap but the cyborg-ized guy was the high point of it. And he has something that looks as mechanical ass cheeks implants. This movie must be the only piece of "art" where i saw such wonder.

It's how Mechanicus would look IRL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom