Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So... has this game been fixed yet?
If you are planning just one run, then no.

Yep. As you said, a lot has been fixed and the game will no doubt be solid at some point in the not too distant future, but at the moment it's still not quite ready for a worry-free clean run by someone who's not willing to cut the game some slack.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bugs go off the chart in Chapter 5.

Before that, it's the occasional annoying freeze, stutter or skill acting a way it's not supposed to. In act 5 it turns into "crash so many times it becomes almost impossible to finish a battle unless you finish each turn quickly and save a lot".

And because of the AMAZEBALLS engine it uses, the loading times to get back into the action make it not really worth it.

Retardo

Learned
I'm finishing act 3, and its more or less solid so far.
Zero crashes, occasional dialogues/quests got botched in a funny way - like, they sent me to collect some shitty seals, but I said that I've collected them right next, and finished the whole quest.

Ulvar the wolfsnuggler once teleported below the map in commoragh.

Still fun to play even with bugs.
Just fyi, I'm using the steam version, gog one may lag behind by several updates.

Retardo

Learned
I think everyone can agree that the worst part of the game is the crappy custom ruleset.
While bugs can be fixed, it is unlikely that the system will be completely changed.

What's wrong with the ruleset? Why isn't it just the numbers/percentages that need massaging?
1. All the extra turns/actions is shit. Mostly for the flow of combat and then for balance reasons.
2. Too many levels and as effect too many skills and damage modifiers
3. Psyker being subclass instead of full class.
4. Weapons balance still crap. Big weapons not nearly scary enough. Skills give too much extra damage to weapons. Skill should be about modifying accuracy and RoF, not damage of weapons. At best critical hit stuff to show you are better at hiting the soft spot of your target but that goes under accuracy stuff. We shit on PoE letting you use Might to give spells bonus damage and ranged weapons bonus damage like crazy but nobody complained here about 20 different modifiers to ranged damage..

This ruleset is extremely gamified when something more realistic and grimdark would fit WH40k better.
Whatever. I'm happy enough that the "normal" difficulty is normal, and not that crazy overtuned shit they had in first pathfunder. And none of that terribad HOMM clone minigame they did in WOTR.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think everyone can agree that the worst part of the game is the crappy custom ruleset.
While bugs can be fixed, it is unlikely that the system will be completely changed.

What's wrong with the ruleset? Why isn't it just the numbers/percentages that need massaging?
1. All the extra turns/actions is shit. Mostly for the flow of combat and then for balance reasons.
4. Weapons balance still crap. Big weapons not nearly scary enough. Skills give too much extra damage to weapons. Skill should be about modifying accuracy and RoF, not damage of weapons. At best critical hit stuff to show you are better at hiting the soft spot of your target but that goes under accuracy stuff. We shit on PoE letting you use Might to give spells bonus damage and ranged weapons bonus damage like crazy but nobody complained here about 20 different modifiers to ranged damage..

This ruleset is extremely gamified when something more realistic and grimdark would fit WH40k better.
Whatever. I'm happy enough that the "normal" difficulty is normal, and not that crazy overtuned shit they had in first pathfunder. And none of that terribad HOMM clone minigame they did in WOTR.
It is not normal, it is retardo land.
Checks out with your name.

Retardo

Learned

Why are you so buttmad because someone likes what you don't?
You can always play on max + custom difficulty and restrict yourself to only one officer ffs.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You can always play on max + custom difficulty and restrict yourself to only one officer ffs.
No. By that logic I can play any shitty balanced game by imagining my own rules. If that is not enough maybe I should also play only on Tuesdays drunk with one arm while reading a book?!

Lambach

Arcane
The problem with the game is that it's too easy to break combat past a certain point in the game (mid-Act 2 or so, depending on builds).

The combat in both previous Owlcat games could've also been trivialized even on Unfair, but you actually had to put some effort into it and do some min-maxing with your Party.

Here, you have to actively go out of your way not to break the game. The amount of extra turns, attacks, buff stacks etc. etc. you can get as early as starting from Level 20 or so is nuts, and it only gets crazier from there.

If you don't want to steamroll everything almost effortlessly, you have to deliberately gimp yourself with things like not putting Officers/Grand Strategists in your Party, not using Cassia (who is abso-fucking-lutely ridiculously broken, holy shit), not using the top-tier Bolters that annihilate everything with 3 trillion damage per Turn etc.

thesecret1

Arcane
I played this last weekend on Daring difficulty all the way to act 2. Started off pretty good, but then became baby-tier, especially after getting Cassia, and every fight became a roflstomp. Not that Cassia was the only problem - Abelard using his hero action can wipe half the board no problem, for example. Is this normal? Are things better on the hardest difficulty? I wasn't even metagaming or planning my builds or anything, just slapped in whatever option caught my eye during the all too frequent level-ups.

Lambach

Arcane
I played this last weekend on Daring difficulty all the way to act 2. Started off pretty good, but then became baby-tier, especially after getting Cassia, and every fight became a roflstomp. Not that Cassia was the only problem - Abelard using his hero action can wipe half the board no problem, for example. Is this normal? Are things better on the hardest difficulty? I wasn't even metagaming or planning my builds or anything, just slapped in whatever option caught my eye during the all too frequent level-ups.

There are some occasional unexpected difficulty spikes, but overall, yeah, it's pretty normal. That fight against the Chaos Space Marine at the end of Act 1 is probably the most difficult fight you'll have in whole game (and it's actually pretty fucking brutal on Unfair).

Might as well up the difficulty and give it a try.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I had some challenges with Helbrute on Unfair in Act 2. But maybe I visited him too early and wasn't prepared :|

thesecret1

Arcane
There are some occasional unexpected difficulty spikes, but overall, yeah, it's pretty normal.
That's really unfortunate - the game became too easy to be fun (I straight up started skipping turns with some characters just to have Cassia spam lidless eye and clear the board, ggwp). I guess I'll wait for the expansions to come out and hope the game gets a balance pass by then

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, warrior heroic and officer heroic are way too strong.
On the other hand you got pathetic heroics like most Advanced class ones except Arch Militant one and Assassin one

Lambach

Arcane
That's really unfortunate - the game became too easy to be fun (I straight up started skipping turns with some characters just to have Cassia spam lidless eye and clear the board, ggwp). I guess I'll wait for the expansions to come out and hope the game gets a balance pass by then

Cass is obscene. With enough levels, she's a one-woman army. She can get some amazing buffs from her Navigator background, she can do massive AoE damage, she can CC like crazy, she can even be your main tank (she can use Willpower for health, Fellowship for Dodge and has an ability that auto-heals her for a lot at the start of each turn) all at once.

I think of her as a second unofficial difficulty slider.

Lambach

Arcane
I had some challenges with Helbrute on Unfair in Act 2. But maybe I visited him too early and wasn't prepared :|

Definitely meant to be an Act 4 fight, you don't fight groups of multiple Chaos Marines at once during the MQ before Act 4.

But yeah, he's much more fun to fight in Act 2. I even burned through almost all consumables, which I otherwise never use.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Definitely meant to be an Act 4 fight, you don't fight groups of multiple Chaos Marines at once during the MQ before Act 4.

But yeah, he's much more fun to fight in Act 2. I even burned through almost all consumables, which I otherwise never use.
I accidentally cleared that in act 2.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

Yep. As you said, a lot has been fixed and the game will no doubt be solid at some point in the not too distant future, but at the moment it's still not quite ready for a worry-free clean run by someone who's not willing to cut the game some slack.
Cool, I was just about to ask exactly this :)

I've been thinking of firing it up this week, but I'll leave it another month or something.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There are some occasional unexpected difficulty spikes, but overall, yeah, it's pretty normal.

I think this is the worst thing about Cassia-level imba in a single player game. One can understand the pursuit of refined balance in PvP, but one sometimes wonders why is it necessary in PvE? I think this is the answer. Essentially if some entity or combination is out of whack with everything else to such a degree then, human nature being what it is, everyone uses it, so the game becomes boring for everyone.

Whereas if every ability and item does what it says on the tin and is effective to a roughly similar level, you have more of a potential spread of different, fun playstyles.

(Note Owlcat_Eyler: just take Cassia's powers out of availability at every level-up, treat her navigator powers like every other class' equivalent-power-level abilities, have them available only every few levels instead of every level. I've no idea why they made her abilities so powerful and synergistic AND made them available at nearly every level up! )

ArchAngel

Arcane

I think this is the worst thing about Cassia-level imba in a single player game. One can understand the pursuit of refined balance in PvP, but one sometimes wonders why is it necessary in PvE? I think this is the answer. Essentially if some entity or combination is out of whack with everything else to such a degree then, human nature being what it is, everyone uses it, so the game becomes boring for everyone.

Whereas if every ability and item does what it says on the tin and is effective to a roughly similar level, you have more of a potential spread of different, fun playstyles.

(Note Owlcat_Eyler: just take Cassia's powers out of availability at every level-up, treat her navigator powers like every other class' equivalent-power-level abilities, have them available only every few levels instead of every level. I've no idea why they made her abilities so powerful and synergistic AND made them available at nearly every level up! )
That is not enough, many abilities themselves are too powerful. Like using Willpower for Health and Perception for Dodge and she gets spells that buff both by a lot.. In my 1st run (Hard before the nerfs to enemies) she was basically untouchable. She managed to fall in two fights overall.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
+ cap blood augury to 100% dmg or something, 1k % after few attacks is little bit overkill

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

That is not enough, many abilities themselves are too powerful. Like using Willpower for Health and Perception for Dodge and she gets spells that buff both by a lot.. In my 1st run (Hard before the nerfs to enemies) she was basically untouchable. She managed to fall in two fights overall.

I don't think the devs would make her on a par with the player and the rest of the team, she is supposed to be something special in the lore, just like Ulfar. But she needs some kind of toning-down, for sure (just as Ulfar needed toning-up). Maybe making her more of a glass cannon would work and make sense (i.e. keep her - somewhat toned-down - power but make her more fragile).

There's kind of a hint of, "wtf are you doing bringing a child into combat??" in the dialogue in places. They should emphasize that more. e.g. you could have her family be up in arms and withdraw some kind of meaningful support if she's injured. Something like that.

Retardo

Learned

No. By that logic I can play any shitty balanced game by imagining my own rules. If that is not enough maybe I should also play only on Tuesdays drunk with one arm while reading a book?!
Come visit the Unicorn Overlord thread, that's exactly what they do there, and they have fun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom