Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Stoned Ape

Savant
In a single-player game I don't think perfect balance is the most important thing to strive for. What you need is a system that feels satisfying to play and, if possible, to reward clever character building. In my opinion the system should be possible to exploit but only if a player designs their character to take advantage of the opportunities that are available to them. When a system breaks by itself without the effort of the player it is a concern, and when certain decisions in character building are so obviously superior to others that you're nerfing yourself by not taking them then it's an issue.

I think the issue with RT is that the rules work OK for the first 20 levels of gameplay, then just progressively fall apart the further you go beyond that point. The encounter design is actually quite fun through the early part of the game but as you get further in it turns into one side or the other pretty much winning during the first few units' actions in a combat. It stops becoming enjoyable and starts to become the repetitive use of the same abilities over and over again because that's the best way not to get a party wipe.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Balance cultism is worse than Baizuo cultism for games. Doubt? Compare D&D 5e with D&D 4e. That said, I din't liked game mechanics in this game, things are as bloated as epic level 3.5e and as gamey as 4e.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Balance cultism is worse than Baizuo cultism for games. Doubt? Compare D&D 5e with D&D 4e. That said, I din't liked game mechanics in this game, things are as bloated as epic level 3.5e and as gamey as 4e.
We are not talking about perfect balance, Obsidian style. Basic mechanics are busted in RT and you randomly hit busted stuff just by playing the game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
We are not talking about perfect balance, Obsidian style. Basic mechanics are busted in RT and you randomly hit busted stuff just by playing the game.
Nah, u dont really.

Maybe when ur lvl 30 or some shit, the game becomes a cake walk.

OR you neet autism game the game, and intently meta-game the fuck out of a singleplayer game, when u know certain builds and talents are broken and OP, but u choose them anyway, cos ur such a god gamer rite.

Early and mid game for me, felt very in-tune and actually pretty fucking hard, especially first start off. had to savescum a metric fuck-ton.

Again, im not saying the combat is not wonky and unbalanced, it probably is, but in large part, u can ignore that if u stop meta-gaming the systems and just play normally.. and especially early midgame, the balance isnt really a big problem.

Average joe aint gonna have the same problem you do, becuase they just play the game and enjoy it, and not treat it like autism spreadsheet simulator 2000 like most of u guys do.
The type of person that springs to mind, is Path Of Exile players and their intent on devoting their entire life to a spreadsheet and orgasming off it. ppl that secretly love being a bank or accountant or some shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nah, u dont really.

Maybe when ur lvl 30 or some shit, the game becomes a cake walk.

OR you neet autism game the game, and intently meta-game the fuck out of a singleplayer game, when u know certain builds and talents are broken and OP, but u choose them anyway, cos ur such a god gamer rite.

Early and mid game for me, felt very in-tune and actually pretty fucking hard, especially first start off. had to savescum a metric fuck-ton.

Again, im not saying the combat is not wonky and unbalanced, it probably is, but in large part, u can ignore that if u stop meta-gaming the systems and just play normally.. and especially early midgame, the balance isnt really a big problem.

Average joe aint gonna have the same problem you do, becuase they just play the game and enjoy it, and not treat it like autism spreadsheet simulator 2000 like most of u guys do.
The type of person that springs to mind, is Path Of Exile players and their intent on devoting their entire life to a spreadsheet and orgasming off it. ppl that secretly love being a bank or accountant or some shit.
On my 2nd run after they made the game even easier I went out of my way to nerf my team and not use busted stuff and game was still too easy. Now I am start of act 4 and it was easier then on 1st run when I had burst Argenta and Cassia in all her glory of doing 400+ unmissable and unavoidable damage from other side of the screen for 1 AP while she was also buffing whole party to crazy levels.
And I am also not using Heinrix in 2nd run and didn't pick Sanctic Psi powers with my main that is just melee Biomancer. I am not even using new and improved Ulfar that is at least 30% stronger than before and he was already pretty strong (but still overshadowed by Argenta and Cassia).
On first run the game was so easy you could win battles from Act 4 and onwards basically with 2 characters (one to buff the other) with only last battle of Act 4 being tough and only because enemies abused same shit your team did until then :D

But I will agree that prologue and Chapter 1 felt decently challenging and fun. It all starts going bust once you unlock advanced classes.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pray tell, which Obsidian game had perfect balance?

Cause for me they had the right kind of balance: can be broken in fun and creative ways - if you know how. Item/class/ability synergies going trough the roof....

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pray tell, which Obsidian game had perfect balance?

Cause for me they had the right kind of balance: can be broken in fun and creative ways - if you know how. Item/class/ability synergies going trough the roof....
They had a goal of that in PoE1 and PoE2, if they managed to do it is another discussion. Design was influenced by it anyways.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I prefer to look at the results and how fun the gameplay is, rather then play the guessing game concerning the design goals.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Owlcat can turn a damage bonus description into a 10-page pdf document

These guys are the masters of bloat and fake complexity

jf8350143

Liturgist
They have to shut down steamwork shop due to legal reasons?

What the heck? Is it because of Game workshop's policy or something?

Parabalus

Arcane
A lot going for it other than the combat? Oh boy
Indeed.

There is no going around how heavily combat-oriented Rogue Trader is. You will have conversations with companions, skill checks (mostly superficial) and the presentation of the Warhammer 40k universe and lore (probably the best of all WH40K games to date, with a huge caveat that as the titular Rogue Trader you - as a player - can get away with A LOT), but at its core the game is pretty much all about combat.
The exploration, story and C&C is pretty good as well - this is like saying Underrail is all about the combat.

Harthwain

Magister
The exploration, story and C&C is pretty good as well
The story is mediocre at best (to put it nicely). The exploration... is OK, I guess. C&C are mostly meaningless (and the biggest disappointment of mine). I wouldn't sum that up as "pretty good". "Below average" is my take on it as far as the RPG aspects are concerned. The combat and the setting are two elements that salvage this game into being somewhat enjoyable experience (if you can forgive the glaring bugs, by the way), but I wouldn't recommend it if someone were to ask me about a pretty good RPG. Even in terms of tactical combat there are many caveats.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Why are Owlcats ashamed of putting straight white males in lead roles in setting which is their home? Warhammer 40k is for European straight men what Florida is for aligators. HOME!

I heared for every 1km2 of Ukraine conquered by Russia, Owlcats have to suck 10 cocks. With new offensive in the North, expect a looooot of sucking. Owlcats are proud suckers, ain't they/them

:smug:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
So, hmm I decided initially to wait a little bit more for the usual microfixing issues, but I eventually started.
I am just in chapter II and I think people complain that things start failing apart in chapter IV, but so far I really like the atmosphere coming from 0 knowledge about Warhammer. And so far only 1 microissue with a quest. I am impressed.
Companions are a mixed bag on how they are written and their voice acting, also the fact they fully voice acted the prologue is very annoying.

The space combat minigame is probably the best of the ones Owlcat did.

I am playing on hard, but Cassia is really insane, pretty much all combat finish before round 2 with all the extra turns... I don't know if the combat can be salvaged, honestly I don't see it happening.
Since combat can be pretty trivial, itemization is not that exciting, unfortunately.

What I can see is a nerf of Cassia, and Officers, maybe.

All people butthurt about the pathfinder games being too hard like Mortmal should be happy now though?

Harthwain since you say the story is below average, which RPG does it better in the last 5 years? I like it so far, but keep in mind I am in Chap. II

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
When you need to self limit yourself to get some fun and balance out of combat you know it is a shit system.

When they started adding busted items in Wrath's DLCs that killed the fun I said the same thing, so obviously I agree.

But what is curious is mediocrepoet, agreeing with your post while he sperged hard about "muh single player game" and "just don't use the busted items hurr hurr".

So, mediocrepoet did you mature in the meanwhile? Got a brain transplant?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Isn't the first DLC suppose to come out next month?

Wonder when they will drop the trailer for it.

Harthwain

Magister
@Harthwain since you say the story is below average, which RPG does it better in the last 5 years? I like it so far, but keep in mind I am in Chap. II
1) Keep playing. The slippery slope is only just beginning.

2) It's a pointless question, Rogue Trader's story won't get objectively better if you compare it to something else, even if we were to agree that all RPGs released in the last 5 years have shitty stories.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
@Harthwain since you say the story is below average, which RPG does it better in the last 5 years? I like it so far, but keep in mind I am in Chap. II
1) Keep playing. The slippery slope is only just beginning.

2) It's a pointless question, Rogue Trader's story won't get objectively better if you compare it to something else, even if we were to agree that all RPGs released in the last 5 years have shitty stories.

It is not a pointless question because you already did a comparison by saying "below average", so I was curious what you may have liked more. If this was not your intention say you didn't like it and keep at it.

Harthwain

Magister
It is not a pointless question because you already did a comparison by saying "below average"
Wrong. You can rate students without comparing one to another. It is possible to get a "below average" grade (the average being 5/10).

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
It is not a pointless question because you already did a comparison by saying "below average"
Wrong. You can rate students without comparing one to another. It is possible to get a "below average" grade (the average being 5/10).
So you have student Rogue Trader and to what other student are you comparing it to?

Do you happen to like also BG3, I think it would clarify why you seem to not make much sense.

Harthwain

Magister
So you have student Rogue Trader and to what other student are you comparing it to?
You failed at reading comprehension.

Do you happen to like also BG3, I think it would clarify why you seem to not make much sense.
Nice try. I don't even own Baldur's Gate 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom