Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids - coming September 9th

Caim

Arcane
Why is one of the Ultramarines black?
In-universe because there probably are black people on the planet of Ultramar, of maybe he was recruited from one of the planets within the realm of Ultramar.

Out of universe because of idpol.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Agreed that smurfs are the safest choice and as 40k gets more and mainstream, I can't really see them moving past them.

I don't mind Ultramarines in the official marketing/branding, or even in the lore what with Guilliman back. But it's just so boring having so much media about them.

Imo, Black Templars could use some more screentime, being the largest individual "chapter" and arguably the most grimdark.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The humanitarian nature of the Salamanders make them probably the most likely alternative mascot.

Which would suit me fine, since I love them.

I'd also love to see a game about the Deathwatch.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The humanitarian nature of the Salamanders make them probably the most likely alternative mascot.
Can already see the codex meltdown coming with an all-black (even though they're not ethnically black, but simply some mutation that turns their skin black like coal) SM chapter being the new poster chapter for 40K. It'd be glorious, actually.
In-universe because there probably are black people on the planet of Ultramar, of maybe he was recruited from one of the planets within the realm of Ultramar.
People keep forgetting that this isn't Earth. There's probably a much wider variety of ethnic or culturally diverse humans out there than we can possibly imagine, and they rightfully stopped hating each other a long time ago, and directed that hatred against any and all xenos instead.

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
No artwork or lore has ever shown or suggested a black ultramarine until now.
Edit; apparently it has
:-D
The Deathwatch game was crap which is why it died a silent death.

Last edited:
Deathwatch game where you could pick from multiple chapters with different specialties would be a lot more interesting than 3 Ultramarines. Guess it would have been a lot more effort so I can't blame them for not doing it. Especially since this is primarily a single player game anyway.
Flesh Tearers are the best chapter by the way.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
No artwork or lore has ever shown or suggested a black ultramarine until now.
AvengingSon.jpg

Last edited:

Oracscube

Patron
Fair enough, I haven't read any of the recent 40k so wasn't aware of the diversity push

I prefer this
ruX0fN4AExQ1.jpg

However I'm still concerned about this dude partly writing the game

Fluidsquid.jpg

:prosper:

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
This tranny seems full of himself and in need of 50% treatment. "Queer people make your favorite games" Cool story bro.

Oracscube

Patron
994562FI5TKse.png

Which is the standard excuse for changing everything they don't like

Last edited:
back in my day, space marines were direct descendant, not-clones-but-close, to the chapter master, and there weren't mostly peaceful protests in their genes.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The gameplay video looks like proper AAA production values. If they manage to have smooth combat, with excellent performance and Animations, then this will be glorious.

Caim

Arcane
I still have no idea why GW insists on keeping the ultrasmurfs the flagship chapter when half the other founding loyalists are cooler.

White Scars, Imperial Fists, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, etc.
Way back the Crimson Fists were a pretty big deal, even though they came from a proper first founding chapter. The Imperial Fists could serve the role, but painting yellow is several bitches and a half. The Black Templars are a blast too, but they are a bit too extreme to lure normies in.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The real question is why most of these fuckers aren't wearing a helmet to begin with (to the point where you can even identify their skin color). Unless you're a space furry, are wearing an iron halo or your helmet was damaged in combat, showing your face just for posturing or looking heroic (or scoring political points) is pure heresy and a fast-pass to becoming a dreadnought.

Caim

Arcane
The real question is why most of these fuckers aren't wearing a helmet to begin with (to the point where you can even identify their skin color). Unless you're a space furry, are wearing an iron halo or your helmet was damaged in combat, showing your face just for posturing or looking heroic (or scoring political points) is pure heresy and a fast-pass to becoming a dreadnought.
Being important enough of a Space Marine to not wear a helmet in battle grants you plot armor more sturdy than any material protection can provide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom