Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids - coming September 9th

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How do you even do woke writing on a Warhammer 40k game? Games Workshop producers have to authorize every line, you can't just write whatever you want. Seems like the furthest you could go is add some subplot about how the repression of the Imperium leads to some citizens being drawn to the cult of Slaanesh or something (before showing them all being righteously crushed underfoot anyway). Seems unsatisfying if you're an SJW.

Check the latest HH novels for a reference. Or hell, the latest WH40k novels in general. Stuff like a woman second-guessing fucking Girlyman, men being blamed as responsible for everything, a dumb bitch being responsible for casting the Primarchs into the Warp... Oops, don't count the last one.

-The Gene-witches seem to have some weird vibe to them. When the Protag gene-witch said that "it's the nature of mankind to destroy", she put stress on the man part. Also when one of the marines got offended by a comment the gene-witch made, she said that he is fragile and that is a side effect of his hyper aggressive masculine traits. Another thing she said is that the Selenar always underestimated the cruelty of men.

-The duty of the Selenar was to move unseen through the ages in the world of men and make sure that the power of creation did not fall in the hand of men. But the man that calls himself Emperor took that gift from them for his purposes and as expected of men like him he shaped it into a weapon of conquest and destruction. Now instead of a mortal war that burns out in a mortal span, the galaxy is set ablaze. When gods war, everyone burns alongside them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/espxp1/the_interesting_bits_from_siege_of_terra_sons_of/

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm getting Tyranid fatigue. Will they recycle models from Space Hulk: Deathwing?

I'd have preferred Dark Eldar or something. But the combat system favors or even requires enemy factions with lots of trash mobs.

Last edited:

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron

Why pick this freak to write it?

I was excited and then...I wasn't..
If that's the writer, what other choices have been made?

Can I assume this option for multiplayer and co-op?

main-qimg-8cffb2f23e56d58ee6c924828033feb6

:negative:

lightbane

Arcane
I'd have preferred Dark Eldar or something. But the combat system favors or even requires enemy factions with lots of trash mobs.

The Dark Eldar have these too, as they can always have hordes of disposable Mandrakes, slaves, and the squads of lesser eldar warriors. But that would require more work and better AI than the 'Nids.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How do you even do woke writing on a Warhammer 40k game? Games Workshop producers have to authorize every line, you can't just write whatever you want. Seems like the furthest you could go is add some subplot about how the repression of the Imperium leads to some citizens being drawn to the cult of Slaanesh or something (before showing them all being righteously crushed underfoot anyway). Seems unsatisfying if you're an SJW.

you haven't opened a recent Black Library book, have you? Though it's more full-on tokenism than anything really progressive. The tokenism is even down to the official paintjobs: all recent huamn release had one or two miniatures with black skin

(funny, I just finished the Word Bearer Omnibus, which dates back to 2008-2010 : just one female character in three book, which is quite a change compared to more recent works)

Well, you see, the space marines are transhumans so it requires a trans person to write them properly :hahano:

well, neither have functioning dicks, so it'll work out in the end, right?
:smug:

Some of those little bits of gameplay looks like they'll be throwing hordes of enemies on the level of the studios other game: World War Z. When I think 40k I think of that old 40K art where their was just this onslaught of stuff fighting each other, so having the screen jam packed full of enemies seems cool.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Talking gameplay specifically:

It looks like an improved and polished SM1, by the looks of it

And since WWZ gimmick was the "Horde AI", I think this was a not bad choice of studio in theory
Looking at the hord clip more carefully:

1639158520988.gif

There's doesn't seem to be any problems with the AI pathfinding
And I particularly like the fact that the "warrior" units try to flank Titus, while the smaller ones just rush to overwhelm him

So overall it seems pretty neat!

:greatjob:

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
"Senior Writer" not Lead Writer
So hopping for the best, the tranny is just a diversity hire and his politic bs will be kept in check

Also how could a fucking writer ruin a game about the gameplay mechanics first and foremost? Specially with a plot that will boil down to "Kill Xeno horde #1534"?

I hope you're right

The problem with a tranny writer, is it's a danger indicator, a company that hires a deviant probably hired other incompetents as well based on what they are rather than what they can do, because I refuse to believe this 'faggit' was picked for its writing talent.

Personally I'd have preferred fighting a chaos invasion, but when you hire a tranny cultist to write your game that's probably not an option.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm getting Tyranid fatigue. Will they recycle models from Space Hulk: Deathwing?

Deathwing is janky crap though. I wouldn't mind another action game with Tyranids if it's actually good. There hasn't been one yet. (A good one)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"Senior Writer" not Lead Writer
So hopping for the best, the tranny is just a diversity hire and his politic bs will be kept in check

Also how could a fucking writer ruin a game about the gameplay mechanics first and foremost? Specially with a plot that will boil down to "Kill Xeno horde #1534"?

I hope you're right

The problem with a tranny writer, is it's a danger indicator, a company that hires a deviant probably hired other incompetents as well based on what they are rather than what they can do, because I refuse to believe this 'faggit' was picked for its writing talent.

Personally I'd have preferred fighting a chaos invasion, but when you hire a tranny cultist to write your game that's probably not an option.

Well, it could be that companies see writing as an afterthought so they may have figured that's the best place for diversity hires. Which is sad, as writing in games being shit is actually more of a problem than people assume. Even if you "ignore it" you still get a shit taste in your mouth just because that shit is there. nuDoom was a case in point for me.

Still, there's a chance the diversity shit ends with the writing team.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
(funny, I just finished the Word Bearer Omnibus, which dates back to 2008-2010 : just one female character in three book, which is quite a change compared to more recent works)
I remember wrong, there's also a second female character, but she appear for like 3 pages before being dispatched ("I don't need her alive, just her brain". Grimdark indeed)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Which is sad, as writing in games being shit is actually more of a problem than people assume. Even if you "ignore it" you still get a shit taste in your mouth just because that shit is there. nuDoom was a case in point for me.

Fortunately this is a "problem" that only afflicts storyfags... :M

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont need a good story, I just need a story that at least is discrete and unnoticeable. The worst part of shit writing isnt that the story isnt perfect but that the developers think it is perfect so they inject that crap everywhere and worse, it usually get more and more retarded to the point of the pain of watching that crap being bigger than the enjoyment from gameplay.

First Space Marine is the perfect example of discrete and unnoticeable in the story department, the story is there but you just want an excuse to kill orks and be awesome at it, a shit writer would make the Space Marine, an edgy, conflicted and soft hearted guy and included 10min cutscenes with so much melodrama that your eyes would bleed from watching that crap.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They still greenlit Matt Ward's Ultramarine fan fiction, and abominations like "Storm of Vengenace"(yes, plan vs Zombie 40K...) so I have pretty low confidence in their producers.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heresy finds the damnedest ways to work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom