Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The real question is why most of these fuckers aren't wearing a helmet to begin with (to the point where you can even identify their skin color). Unless you're a space furry, are wearing an iron halo or your helmet was damaged in combat, showing your face just for posturing or looking heroic (or scoring political points) is pure heresy and a fast-pass to becoming a dreadnought.
Being important enough of a Space Marine to not wear a helmet in battle grants you plot armor more sturdy than any material protection can provide.

I mean, it's 40k. Plot armor here is flimsy and depends on

1. how many miniatures GW can make out of you
2. what codex you're in
3. whatever the writers feel like

I'd rather take the helmet.

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
Why is one of the Ultramarines black?
Don't human planets have like 100 gorilian inhabitants each?
Why would they be mono ethnic?

Why wouldn't they be
This isn't modern America, many of these planets are left on their own for hundreds if not thousands of years and were settled by specific racial groups
With distinct cultures often influenced by the planetry environment itself
Which is why it's interesting
The same with the legions, White Scars are Mongols, Space Wolves are techno-Vikings, Thousand Sons are persians etc.. to just start applying a diversity quota to everything takes that uniqueness away.

Behelit

Augur

Why wouldn't they be
This isn't modern America, many of these planets are left on their own for hundreds if not thousands of years and were settled by specific racial groups
The same with the legions, White Scars are Mongols, Space Wolves are techno-Vikings, Thousand Sons are persians etc.. to just start applying a diversity quota to everything takes that uniqueness away.

If it were the Chapters in bold, your argument would have more merit but these are Ultramarines. Recruited from an empire within an empire that consists of more worlds than there are countries in 2023 planet Earth. Do mean to tell me the trillions upon trillions of humans residing on those worlds are uniformly huwhite? None of these worlds trade with each other or never had peoples immigrate to Ultramar in form of refugees to flee Ork or Tyrannid incursions? Granted, in all probability, there is no doubt an influence of the woke mind virus at play. Though at the same time, its ridiculous for all this fanfare whenever you see a non white, when there is no major contradiction in the narrative. That means no Primarch Roberto Gutierrez, no dreadnought decked out in a collage of rainbow colored purity seals, no syllable about present day politics. There is no hubub about race uniformity with Ultramarines of all chapters except by people stirred up by any reminder that the species of humanity consists of different races.

Oracscube

Patron
I've already said I wasn't aware of Guy Haley changing the Ultramarines to have blacks, where non was seemingly apparent before in the old artwork

The rest of what I just wrote was specifically about not all worlds having diversity (including not having Whites on many planets) in answer to a different question.
I'm more than aware there's different races in the Imperium, I just stated that fact above.

However it's more than apparent the lead writer is a deranged individual and I fully expect more progressive weirdness in the game.

Why wouldn't they be

If it were the Chapters in bold, your argument would have more merit but these are Ultramarines. Recruited from an empire within an empire that consists of more worlds than there are countries in 2023 planet Earth. Do mean to tell me the trillions upon trillions of humans residing on those worlds are uniformly huwhite? None of these worlds trade with each other or never had peoples immigrate to Ultramar in form of refugees to flee Ork or Tyrannid incursions? Granted, in all probability, there is no doubt an influence of the woke mind virus at play. Though at the same time, its ridiculous for all this fanfare whenever you see a non white, when there is no major contradiction in the narrative. That means no Primarch Roberto Gutierrez, no dreadnought decked out in a collage of rainbow colored purity seals, no syllable about present day politics. There is no hubub about race uniformity with Ultramarines of all chapters except by people stirred up by any reminder that the species of humanity consists of different races.

It's because niggers can't into space. If there aren't any chingchongs in the Smurfs, you can bet your ass there's not going to be any niggers, how would they get to space in the first place? Servitors make better menial workers, and I sure as hell haven't seen a coon servitor.

lightbane

Arcane
Don't sphees mahrines change their pigmentation to better adapt to local conditions anyway? A black wouldn't stay so for long as a SM.

Behelit

Augur

Why wouldn't they be

It's because niggers can't into space. If there aren't any chingchongs in the Smurfs, you can bet your ass there's not going to be any niggers, how would they get to space in the first place? Servitors make better menial workers, and I sure as hell haven't seen a coon servitor.

Watch the helmet reveal and the Sister's face. This isn't new, simply more common. Time's a changing old man, this ain't the 90's or 2000's. Space niggas in 40k can be reasonably attributed as to why they are space niggas now. Piggybacking on the prodigious output of the huwhites.

Grimdark indeed.

Oracscube

Patron
It looks good for what it is, a fun hybrid shooter/melee action game, hopefully the frame rate issue is dealt with.

randir14

Augur
At least the Marines are the correct height this time. In SM1 the female Imperial Guard character was almost as tall as Titus.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Well, they sure got the "endless numbers" thing right.
It's hard to fuck this up if you just improve on the first game but I'm sure they will manage it somehow.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is a rare throwback to the Xbox 360-era shooter, but it's missing some of what made those games great

By Ted Litchfield
published 17 minutes ago
Chaos is winning right now, I fear.

Image for Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is a rare throwback to the Xbox 360-era shooter, but it's missing some of what made those games great

(Image credit: Focus Entertainment)

In the year 2011, men were men and the terrible affliction of "Unreal Engine 3 Neck" raged unabated. At this time of peak Xbox, we got the original Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, which paired the gothic grimdark far future of the Imperium of Man with Gears of War-style shooting, minus the knee-high cover everywhere.

12 years on, not much has changed in Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2, at least going by an hour-long demo level I had the chance to sample. I never get tired of seeing those big ol' blue Ultramarine pauldrons, and we're actually pretty starved for straight-up, linear, over-the-shoulder shooter campaigns like this, but unless the full game has some serious surprises in store, it doesn't feel like Space Marine 2 will win the favor of 2023 Ted.

First, the good: despite having to crank the graphics down to medium for a stable 60 fps at 1440p on an RTX 3070, Space Marine 2 is still a treat to look at. Our big boys' armor nails that almost candy-like look of a well-painted plastic miniature impersonating metal, complete with details like skulls, scrollwork, and my favorite: mud that built up and caked my Ultramarine clodhoppers as I stomped through the demo's swampy jungles.

I was also impressed at how my Tyranid foes swarmed in numbers that put the 360 original to shame, even clumping together at the base of walls to help their comrades climb over like something in World War Z (whose videogame adaptation Saber also developed). The demo level's interior portions leaned more into "military industrial" 40K (boo) instead of "freaky gothic" 40K (hell yeah), but there were still some nice environment art touches like the candles, scrolls, and tomes festooned about an otherwise-modern control room.

It all fell apart with the combat, though. My entire time playing, I found myself yearning for Auroch Digital's recent Warhammer 40K: Boltgun instead. They're setting out to be very different shooters, but Boltgun nails the Space Marine fantasy of being an angry silverback in power armor. I still felt like a gorilla in Space Marine 2, but maybe one already half-sedated by a tranq dart after a toddler tumbled into his enclosure.

Titus just doesn't feel responsive, launching into slow, lumbering combos with his chainsword that I can't cancel out of when it's time for an Arkham-style omnidirectional parry. The counter windows are blessedly generous, but I'd be hammering the left bumper to counter (Space Marine 2 did not feel right on mouse and keyboard) as Titus languidly worked through a pirouette strike with his chainsword, a successful riposte far from guaranteed.

The weapons don't carry that oomph for me either⁠—these feel like assault rifles and submachine guns and not Bolters, and I think they could do with deeper, punchier audio and more dramatic enemy reactions to getting hit with micro-missiles. I was also disappointed by the chainsword, which rather than ripping and tearing would smack against Tyranids like a pool noodle. There's just no chew to it.

It's hard to tell how much of the full arsenal this represents, but I do gotta say that I appreciate Space Marine 2's commitment to a Halo or Gears-style "you get two guns and a couple points in a level where you can swap them out." There were no loadouts to speak of and no green, purple, blue, or gray loot drops in sight, and god bless it not even a hint of "+6% chance to poison an enemy while flanking."

With the shooting failing to carry the day for me, the demo's linear sequence of horde battles proved both dull and frustrating. At the second-highest (and recommended) difficulty level, I couldn't even turn my brain off and just let the violence machine go brrrrrr⁠—big boy Tyranids take quite a bit of punishment to down, and getting overwhelmed meant a slightly irritating wait for one of my squad buddies to come give me a kind word and slap on the rump to get me back in action. The sheer spectacle of all those Tyranids on-screen at once is the only part of the 40K fantasy that Space Marine 2 is really nailing at the moment, but it's just not enough to carry the experience for me.

I hope this isn't my final word on Space Marine 2, and that the shooter is able to cook a bit more before its planned end-of-year release. We're living in a renaissance of retro throwbacks right now and, sorry to my fellow millennials, 360-style over-the-shoulder linear shooters are pretty retro at this point. There's room for a game like Space Marine 2, but not one that feels like swimming in pudding.

Yup, this middling trash will never live up to Relic's excellent Space Marines.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The first game was good, but hardly excellent

This one from what has been shown - aside from co-op and the (imo exciting) "World War Z" horde tech - seems to be just like the original's gameplay and level structure, but with higher production values and some new weapons.

Oracscube

Patron
The weapons don't carry that oomph for me either⁠—these feel like assault rifles and submachine guns and not Bolters, and I think they could do with deeper, punchier audio and more dramatic enemy reactions to getting hit with micro-missiles. I was also disappointed by the chainsword, which rather than ripping and tearing would smack against Tyranids like a pool noodle. There's just no chew to it.

Yup, this middling trash will never live up to Relic's excellent Space Marines.

I was hoping it'd be similar to the original game
Unfortunately I've just had a try of their last game WWZ using this game engine and I felt the same, there's no connection with the shooting it's very light and floaty.
I wasn't enamoured with it

Is this the game with the tranny lead writer?

Yes it is, I did an informative/offensive post about the deviant and it's pointless existence, but I can't seem to find it.
It was the senior writer and had previously written for RuPauls drag race

I am a Senior Writer in a team. I am not the sole creative voice, nor am I in charge of the narrative team or story.
So theoretically just a genderfluidsquid diversity hire

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom