Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhorse's Kingdom Come: Deliverance Is Now on Kickstarter

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks p. cool but getting funded with such a low goal is worse than failing, I wonder what huge failure will stop with this trick of aiming really low to gather more through stretch goals.

Good thing they have their millionaire investor.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks p. cool but getting funded with such a low goal is worse than failing, I wonder what huge failure will stop with this trick of aiming really low to gather more through stretch goals.

Good thing they have their millionaire investor.
Which is why they were lowballing it in the first place, so I do not quite get your complaint.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Bretty good but

In the midst of this plunder and chaos, a son of a blacksmith will emerge as a hero. His home destroyed and his family murdered by the invading army, he must redeem his failure to protect those he loved and set things right again. Avenging the dead, safeguarding the kingdom’s rightful ruler, and restoring order will prove no small feat for you or our adventurer. But beware - this is not a fantasy fairytale, and you are not the chosen one! This will be a tough, dirty job that only a champion with enough wits and strength will survive.

This is still too much fairy tale. Too much convenient drama. If you wanted something realist it should be about a mercenary with no other goal than gaining money, fame and power.
Why do they insist on always writing self righteous idealistic heroes in over dramatic circumstances?

He can still be a blacksmith's son and have his family murdered at some point in his life. Avenge his family, yeah, save the king/kingdom/princess, no way.

Not really my kind of game, plus even after reading through most of Dan's blogs and posts I'm not really sure how exactly it's supposed to tie all the different aspects he shoots for together into an enjoyable whole rather than an overly console-centric hodgepodge of influences -- but I kind of like his blunt approach (especially on the Codex). The £15 tier it is.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Goddamn this looks like the greatest fucking thing since my dick

(hyped as fuck ; someone needs to remove the sand from the vaginas around here - even though this is probably not going to be that great)

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
https://imgflip.com/gif/6bso0

some one should combine it with this
GYHbPAN.gif

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This really seems to be taking off - even my casual gamer friends are sharing links to this KS on Facebook saying things like "move over, Skyrim". :P

It does look very promising, though - I'll probably back it as well.

whitepony

Educated
200.842 pounds with 28 days to go. Looks like its going to be one of the most successfull KS projects. Gotta buy a new monster desktop to run this shite:salute:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The pledges will slow down once the goal is reached, but still it must be very pleasing for the team to see this kind of hype around their game.

The private investor must be thrilled too.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well I think "thrilled" about 200K is a bit too much .. considering he has already invested 1,5 million. But the result is a very pleasant surprise to me. It seems a lot of people have already been following the project. I think 1 million is definitely possible, and perhaps much more if there is enough media hype.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The main purpose of this KS campaign is to gauge the public interest in the game, more than the money itself. So yeah, I think he'll be much more relaxed now...

Burning Bridges

Yes that's what I mean too. And an additional million through kickstarter doesn't hurt either.

Also it's always good to have multiple legs to stand on, they have 2 now.

Burning Bridges

But back to the game itself, I don't quite understand how "open world medieval sandbox" goes with 30h play time. So I would keep expectations a bit lower, the game world is probably not going to be as large as Skyrim or Arma, the game will have linear elements, and the full content is only going to become available through several chapters. But then no one said this is going to revolutionize anything. But I think it will be :incline:.

Also, beta in 6 months sounds sweet. That means we can judge their prototype first hand, quite soon.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This Kickstarter came right out of the blue, unlike say Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity that had been heavily hyped in the weeks leading up to the KS start. So I expect the funding is much less front-loaded than those others, we'll see a more even distribution of pledges across the first week as more and more people hear of the project.

Burning Bridges

A project that is known for close to 2 years does not exactly come out of the blue. There also has been a heads up from the media, at least in the german gaming

pcgameshardware calls it "Erwachsenen-RPG" :salute:
"Erste Eindrücke zum Erwachsenen-RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Ohne Kickstarter-Erfolg kein Spiel"
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Kingd...als/Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-Preview-1105853/
"Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Ausbleibender Kickstarter-Erfolg würde zum Projektaus führen"
http://www.pcgames.de/Kingdom-Come-...starter-Erfolg-fuehrt-zum-Projektaus-1106157/
"Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Wenn die Kickstarter-Kampagne scheitert, wird die Entwicklung eingestellt"
http://www.gamezone.de/Kingdom-Come...ert-wird-die-Entwicklung-eingestellt-1106183/

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only german PC games mag I give a shit about is 4players, the rest is Doritoland.
But back to the game itself, I don't quite understand how "open world medieval sandbox" goes with 30h play time.
I doubt that any of the TES games had a main quest that took more than 30 hours to rush through.
Side activities is what will make or break it, if they are pointless or boring or if there are too few then the sandbox part will be shit (like in nearly every GTA, the side activities in these games just suck). But in that case maybe the main story will be good ... or worst case they could botch both. Time will tell...

Burning Bridges

Dan said the map in chapter is (only) 9 km², so that will be the reason. But I can attest that the maps in The Hunter are of approximately the same size, and as long as you move on foot that is quite large, providing there is enough to see.
I can easily spend 30-100h hours on each.

Lancehead

Liturgist
For a comparison, it took me about 40-45 hours to do everything except the mutually exclusive content in Risen.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But back to the game itself, I don't quite understand how "open world medieval sandbox" goes with 30h play time.

According to the KS pitch, 30h is only the first Act. If the playtime is distributed evenly across all three Acts, then it's 90h in total.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom