Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Dark Souls 2 the greatest game that From Software ever made?

Was Dark Souls 2 better than everything?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • It was better than everything

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No. There has never been a better game than Dark Souls 2

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Nathir

Liturgist
Dark souls 1 is better because it has a better aestethic and visual design. This is true for enemies as well as levels. DS has incredible atmosphere, DS2 is ugly and janky with a world that does not feel like it makes any sense.

Right, because muh aesthetics being ever so slightly better is more important than all the gameplay improvements. We're discussing which is the better game, not the better art piece.

It is important. The visuals of DS gave it it's own unique identity and atmosphere. DS2 has more generic enemies and bosses, terrible lighting, ugly and janky world design. Worse NPCs and no compelling story or world. And terrible encounter design. Things like these matter. Or are you trying to say DS1 and Demon Souls would be just as sucessful if they looked like Genshin impact? All the gameplay improvements? The core gameplay is the same as DS1.

Nobody is saying it's the worst game ever. I recently replayed it and it is indeed better than most games out there. I had a lot of fun, and it is okay to prefer it to DS1. But it is not a better game.

Except you're vastly overstating all of that. The decline present is so minor that it indeed *doesn't* matter. The fuck is wrong with you people acting like it has no soul and looks like a mobile game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jesus christ I wonder how you must bear to withstand the look of old school early 3D games like the Looking Glass classics (system shock/UUW/Deus Ex) for instance. You poor hollowed soul.

You want to actually see arguably "bad/ugly" graphics and aesthetics? Here: link

Also, I never said aesthetics didn't matter at all. Of course they do, but there's a threshold. If a game looks average/good/amazing = all acceptable and there's very sharply diminishing returns. Looks like shit = potentially unacceptable and potentially ruins the experience. The above is good if not amazing. Even the worst areas of the game never cross into unacceptable aesthetics.

Not sure why you are so fixated on the graphics. I have no problem with old games, or "bad" graphics. Still it's a fact the game looks washed out with poor lighting, and worse then DS1. Even on a technical level. You can post a screenshot of the best looking zone in DS2 but it doesn't change that fact. There are youtube videos which showcase the downgrade, not that it matters. What I was getting at with "aestethics" is that most zones and enemies are just all around uglier, clunkier and more generic. I don't know how to explain it to you.

Also explain this shitty encounter design you speak of. Probably the usual complaint of having to fight multiple enemies at once which....lol. Or the usual Shrine of Amana whining when the ranged enemy placement being a major pain in the ass while death pits are all around you is precisely the point and tougher late game encounter design as you progress is important, but aesthetics/lore simps aren't going to understand that. Shrine of Amana is one of the best maps in the entire Souls series.

Yes they did overdo multiple enemy encounters. I don't see how that is a contentious point to make? It's especially bad in the early game when you don't have the apropriate tools for it. Too many bosses also have adds or are fights against multiple bosses. I mean, did we really need the gargoyles fight, but now with up to 4-5(?) gargoyles can attack you? It overdoes enemies ambushing you from corners. Random phantom spawns in SOTFS with a million hp. Yeah I get it... The game is hard. I watched your shitty intro with no purpose other then to tell me I will die. Then on the other hand you have absolutely terrible bossfights like the dragonrider, old Dragonslyaer, Magus and congregation.... I can respect shrine of Amana because of its design, and they actually do something interesting with it. But most zones are Aldias keep. Shitty corridors with a bajillion mobs ambushing you.

In summary, game has -10% secondary elements: aesthetics, muh lore and characters (lol), but +20% gameplay depth and quailty. Should be a no brainer and yet here we are. At least you aren't claiming it is a shit game overall like the REEEEtards back in the day.

All the gameplay improvements? The core gameplay is the same as DS1.

Yes, gameplay improvements. Quite a few. Do you people even play or do you just watch streams on twitch? Or just too busy masturbating over the visuals and lore while the gameplay is all just a grind for you until you can see the next sights & speak to the next NPC? Or is the game parts just a vessel for you to provide immersion and atmosphere that you put up with it? Are you an Errant Signal fanboy?

Again, what gameplay improvements? Like I said, the core gameplay is the same. ADP? The wonky movement? Yeah the item variety is a highlight and it's fun to mess around and try different things. But it doesn't really innovate compared to DS1. I don't even know what Errant Signal is. DS1 was a good game, that was also beautiful in many aspects. DS2 is a good game, that is ugly and clunky in a lot of aspects.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
Midway through ds2 now, and maybe it's just a combination of recency bias/being burnt out on ds1 after 3 playthroughs talking but...

But man, ds2 IS really fucking good. I did really enjoy it very much the first time around, and never understood the hate for it, but this playthrough... man, something's clicked in me. Maybe this is the best Dark Souls.

I'm playing as a glass cannon sorcerer, 50 int, 11 vigor. I'm gonna start levelling vigor now, though, because the lack of HP is starting to catch up to me.

Hexes seem interesting, I've purchased some but haven't used them yet. Seems like I'll need to also lvl faith, though.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
ds2 has few very high highs ( like the maya inspired dlc) , but too many lows. I rank the last in the serie : DS>DS3>DS2
Also the only from game i have not been able to complete ( never played BB or DeS tough)

curds

Magister
ds2 has few very high highs ( like the maya inspired dlc) , but too many lows. I rank the last in the serie : DS>DS3>DS2
Also the only from game i have not been able to complete ( never played BB or DeS tough)
Ds3 is the best action game in the series but has a comparatively boring world and the worst rpg systems, imo.
Ds2 is the best RPG and has a wonderful variety of builds and locations.
Ds1 has the best and most cohesive atmosphere and world, the best soundtrack and just feels the best to me.

I'm also playing bloodborne at the moment for the first time at my friend's place on his ps4. It's a great action game, better than ds3 in my opinion. The transition from gothic horror into cosmic horror is genius and I can't believe it hasn't really been done before - to my knowledge, anyway.

SumDrunkGuy

Ds3 is the best action game in the series

KEK, 3 is inferior to Dark Souls 2 in every way imaginable except visuals. Visuals, that literally it. 3 is a giant wet shit sandwich when is compared and in the presense of the GOAT Dark Souls 2. I don't even think 3 can be considered an above average game by comparison. Dark Souls 2 is THAT good.

curds

Magister
Ds3 is the best action game in the series

KEK, 3 is inferior to Dark Souls 2 in every way imaginable except visuals. Visuals, that literally it. 3 is a giant wet shit sandwich when is compared and in the presense of the GOAT Dark Souls 2.
I pretty much agree. But I think for people who want a straight up action combat game, ds3 is better.

Ds3 visuals are worse than ds2 by the way. Obviously the fidelity is higher but the aesthetic sucks.

Ds3 is my least favourite as I have said a few times already ITT, but it is still a very good game.

Gearmos

Educated
I agree that DS2 is the best RPG of the three, with the most variety of builds, most varied locations, more freedom in choosing the order of bosses, etc. But nothing can fill the void left by the fact that there is no Siegmeyer of Catarina quest. I miss the onion fellow.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLOL

2 IS MY FAV I CONFESS

ANYONE WHO LIKE DES OR 1 BETTER OKAY I GET YOUR POINT

DONT LIKE 3 NEVER PLAYED BLOODBORNE AND SEKIRO I HAVE MIXED FEELINGS

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, this thread has been going on for a while and the initial question has kind of still not been answered:

I know SumDrunkGuy wrote this more of a generalization and not a serious question, but I'm still kind of interested in the premise.
I mean we're talking 50+ titles here. From King's Fields to Armored Core to Tenchu to Echo Night to Metal Wolf Chaos to fucking Ninja Blade and lots of other titles.

Do we even have a codexer that can sufficiently answer this question? Who here has a big enough grasp on From's entire library to make that judgement call?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, this thread has been going on for a while and the initial question has kind of still not been answered:

I know SumDrunkGuy wrote this more of a generalization and not a serious question, but I'm still kind of interested in the premise.
I mean we're talking 50+ titles here. From King's Fields to Armored Core to Tenchu to Echo Night to Metal Wolf Chaos to fucking Ninja Blade and lots of other titles.

Do we even have a codexer that can sufficiently answer this question? Who here has a big enough grasp on From's entire library to make that judgement call?

Metal Wolf Chaos has POTUS flying a mech and fighting terrorists. How the hell do you beat that?

Ash

Arcane

I'm not qualified to truly answer your question but probably more qualified than the majority.

I've played most Souls games, Ninja Blade, Sekiro, two King's Field titles and their shit terrible take on Tenchu (they ruined it after Acquire went bust or whatever).

In my opinion, From Software were thoroughly mediocre for DECADES until they made Souls and brought back old school jap game design & classic difficulty, and even innovated somewhat in the process. And yes Dark Souls 2 is arguably the best of all, though DS1 does feel slightly more well-rounded (in most aspects of design except gameplay).

I'm pretty fond of Sekiro also. That one entry alone almost makes up for the Tenchu rape across multiple titles...since sekiro basically IS Tenchu but even better.

Last edited:

Eldagusto

Educated
I liked it but I really like what was revealed about the original ideas. Like the Finito were going to be the Immortals, and seemed like literal vampires, vulnerable to running water and everything. But my theory is they halted that because they wanted that Motif for Bloodborne.

SumDrunkGuy

There's been a lot of Souls discussion lately thanks to the recent release of Elden Ring. I figure now is as good a time as ever to reflect on From Software's masterpiece, Dark Souls 2. Always remember that Miyazaki had nothing to do with this game and everything declined once the retard showed back up. Never forget that he intentionally made Dark Souls 3 into a dumbed down piece of laziness because he refused to believe that the "B-Team" showed him up. A deluded, butthurt, self agrandizing piece of shit he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom