Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Well, the galaxy was fucked up by both the Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil War. In Kotor 2 you see the aftermath of the wars...
Hence, it is darker and more mature than your average Star Wars story.
deep&mature nonsense is the enemy of fun

Camel

Scholar
Was KOTOR even worth a play?
I would say it is mediocre at best.
27319.jpg

While using a memorable KotOR character and it's avatar. :roll:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So if the most overused franchise of all time is your thing
Let's not confuse loving the OT with loving the SW brand et al.

Why would anyone not invested in the SW brand touch this bland crap, now or then?

It's basically NWN sans the few redeeming points NWN might have had.
It does have better camera!

This had some appeal for being a fresh take on Star Wars.
While I do agree to a point, it seems like 5000 years before the Galactic Empire they already had blasters, space fighters, star destroyers, giant battlestations and of course lightsabers. Tatooine and Dantoine basically played the same role as in the main era of (films & expanded universe) Star Wars. It wasn't as fresh take as many would like, given the time jump.
cb4833a3f8ddf325ef09381e576ddc79ea684642_00.jpg

starwars_star_destroyer_lights_01.jpg

Imagine these two ships were constructed 5000 years apart.
You could make a point that Star Wars is a reskin of Warhammer 40k. Or rather the other way around since SW was created a couple of years earlier.
Think of SW as a universe where almost nothing major changes for thousand of years. No major technology breakthroughs, not new geopolitical issues, often not even local economy or population is different for thousands of years. How exciting is that! Don't get me wrong, it could make some sense in another setting. In fact, i believe it is the one of (few) things that make at least partial sense in WH40k. In Star Wars it doesn't since the lore isn't built around the idea of stagnation like in WH40k.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

kangaxx

Arbiter
I wonder how did Kotor age. Some time ago I tried to replay New Vegas that I absolutely loved 15 years ago but now I dropped it after a few hours. The story and writing still excellent, doubly so in the currentyear GenZ sea of shit, but the moment-to-moment stuff was almost unplayable for me, especially the combat. Fucking awful.

Probably will wait for the remake, I'm sure it's coming out soon :burningdogmeme:
I've actually just started playing the first KOTOR, having never touched either game because I couldn't give a monkey's about Star Wars. It seems OK so far, but even as someone who isn't really into shiny graphics it looks extremely tired and the level/area design is basic. Rooms are often pretty much empty with NPCs standing around etc.

Even with that being the case I want to play on, which I take as a good sign! There's definitely a "hook".

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This had some appeal for being a fresh take on Star Wars.
While I do agree to a point, it seems like 5000 years before the Galactic Empire they already had blasters, space fighters, star destroyers, giant battlestations and of course lightsabers. Tatooine and Dantoine basically played the same role as in the main era of (films & expanded universe) Star Wars. It wasn't as fresh take as many would like, given the time jump.
cb4833a3f8ddf325ef09381e576ddc79ea684642_00.jpg

starwars_star_destroyer_lights_01.jpg

Imagine these two ships were constructed 5000 years apart.

Why do you need new designs in settings where there is space magic and most of galaxy is controlled by Je... I mean is under peaceful and democratic stewardship of Republic and Senate?

No competition and strife no progress Comrade.

Falksi

Arcane
I enjoyed KOTOR first time playing it, but never actually got around to finishing it.

Around halfway through things started to feel samey, and the game had pretty much shown all it had to offer by that point too. Replays just showed the game, and Bioware, up for going too simplistic with all the RPG elements, so I personally rank it as worth paying but not a classic by any means. A solid 7/10 game, worth playing but nothing to write home about either.

Last edited:

Habichtswalder

Literate
I played KOTOR 1 as a teenager twice. First time I abandoned it after a few hours because it failed to catch me. But I started a second run some time later and finished it.

I ultimately really enjoyed it and have good memories but this is probably connected to being a Star Wars fan. I don't know how it holds up as a game/RPG for itself. My playthrough happened 10 or 15 years ago.

However, I never finished KOTOR 2. Once started it and I do remember that the first mission was set on some abandoned spaceship and it felt very linear and dungeon-like.

Harthwain

Magister
Was KOTOR even worth a play?
I would say it is mediocre at best.
27319.jpg

While using a memorable KotOR character and it's avatar. :roll:
So? I used an avatar from Eye of the Beholder series iirc for many years. I'm not a fan of the series, in fact i dislike all dancing blobbers. Though EoB2 was mildly entertaining back in the day.
Huh, I was thinking someone was giving you shit for having King of Dragon Pass avatar.

Short answer: HK-47 and Canderous Ordo are the best what was in KotOR 1 (everything else ranges between bad and mediocre). HK-47's avatar is rare enough that I decided to use without having to worry someone else is also using it and creating confusion because of it. Hence I am using it.

Having said that, just because KotOR 1 has HK-47 and Canderous Ordo doesn't mean it redeems the entire game (of which I have a relatively low opinion, as you can probably tell). KotOR 2 is the game I can recommend though. It is much better in almost everything than its bland predecesor was.

goregasm

Scholar
It was worth a play when it came out, not something I would consider a must play, or a game I think is really worth coming back to, outside of major fans of SW.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
However, I never finished KOTOR 2. Once started it and I do remember that the first mission was set on some abandoned spaceship and it felt very linear and dungeon-like.
Peragus is the worst part of Kotor 2.
I do however like the atmosphere and discovering the backstory and events that took place before the Exile got put in the Kolto Tank.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played KOTOR 1 as a teenager twice. First time I abandoned it after a few hours because it failed to catch me. But I started a second run some time later and finished it.

I ultimately really enjoyed it and have good memories but this is probably connected to being a Star Wars fan. I don't know how it holds up as a game/RPG for itself. My playthrough happened 10 or 15 years ago.

That was my experience in the dim distant past, and then about a year or so ago I gave KOTOR 2 another try and found it very enjoyable eventually. It does kind of open up after the claustrophobic introductory spaceship and then also the equally claustrophobic mostly-indoors second map (the first map of the game proper). After that it's very good. I've only ever played it with the cut content restoration mod though, I think it probably was a bit shitty and unfinished on release in comparison to KOTOR 1.

Zlaja

Arcane
The amount of whining about Peragus mining facility is fucking silly. Sure, it's slow and can get a bit boring on repeat playthrough, but if you're playing the game for the first time, it's just fine. Also, many RPGS have slow and linear starts (even lengthy ones). The start of KOTOR 2 doesn't stand out that much.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The amount of whining about Peragus mining facility is fucking silly. Sure, it's slow and can get a bit boring on repeat playthrough, but if you're playing the game for the first time, it's just fine. Also, many RPGS have slow and linear starts (even lengthy ones). The start of KOTOR 2 doesn't stand out that much.
That's exactly it.
Boring on subsequent playthroughs, but great atmosphere and backstory.
Fighting droves of droids just isn't all that fun.
Harbinger is decent enough, having to fight those Sith Assassins.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Peragus is terrible even the first time through. It lasts about 3x as long as it ought to. This is compounded by the next area being more of the same. "Your ship is impounded and you have to do 3 hours of bullshit to get it free."

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Peragus is terrible even the first time through. It lasts about 3x as long as it ought to. This is compounded by the next area being more of the same. "Your ship is impounded and you have to do 3 hours of bullshit to get it free."
Telos is more interesting though.
Personally I still prefer Taris. Lots of stuff to do, most of it optional. Not too long, not too short either. Just the right amount of time.
But I find myself going more for Kotor 2 as time progresses. Avellone at his finest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom