Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I the only one who is a bit concerned? 280K in 9 hours is OK, but Double Fine had 500K by that time. Looking at Schafer's project, the donations will slow down considerably in a few days. I hope nothing will go wrong.

serch

Magister
I already put 65 $ for international shipping. I'll donate another 50 $ for Codexian glory but won't need any digital copy as I'll receive my physical one at home. You can keep mine as a prize for a contest or something

Peter

Arcane
The Codex hasn't been this BRO since MCA's birthday. It brings a tear to my eye.

:hero:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I see that majority of people on kickstarter say ' I played fallout 1 and 2 but never played wasteland... here is 50$'. Oh the dissapointment when they will find out that Wasteland 2 is not a Fallout clone... no S.P.E.C.I.A.L, no funky perks, no aiming in body parts during combat, no 'you are the lonesome vault hero that can take on whole enclave in a power armor....
Instead you have a party of soldiers more like jagged alliance.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Am I the only one who is a bit concerned? 280K in 9 hours is OK, but Double Fine had 500K by that time. Looking at Schafer's project, the donations will slow down considerably in a few days. I hope nothing will go wrong.
Yes, honestly I'm just a little concerned, but this thing is unpredictable, we only have one reference at this point. Besides, not every news site has spread the news, and lot's of people, even here, are waiting to get home to donate.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I think you have to give it at least until tomorrow before getting worried. As has been said before everyone in the Kwa is working and not all of us can screw around online during or work days.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
that project was the first of its kind, so the hype machine was bigger. plus, even if we assume that the trend will be the same (half the funds), it's over fucking one and a half million.

and, hey, Matt, you should make a special promotion video for Wasteland on your channel! :rpgcodex:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I see that majority of people on kickstarter say ' I played fallout 1 and 2 but never played wasteland... here is 50$'. Oh the dissapointment when they will find out that Wasteland 2 is not a Fallout clone... no S.P.E.C.I.A.L, no funky perks, no aiming in body parts during combat, no 'you are the lonesome vault hero that can take on whole enclave in a power armor....
I'm not so sure...I've played both, and read every Fargo interview, and the way he is teasing the Fallout fans, I think the combat system will be closer to Fallout Tactics than to Jagged Alliance. And even if hard, it should be possible to solo.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!

Nobody reasonable expected that Wasteland 2 will recieve such a great support like the Double Fine adventure game. Tim Schafers Kickstarter success is exceptional, so being worse than that is not really a failure. 280 k in 9 hours is not bad. Yeah, Double Fine made 500 k in that time but they raised over 3 million dollars in total. So judging by that, Wasteland 2 should reach its 900 k goal. Mind you, I'm also a bit cautious. I think it will be a great success if they reach the 900k goal, I don't they will raise much more than that though.

Anyways donating 75 dollars and keeping my fingers crossed.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
No. Schafer's project started off at a better time of the day when US media was awake and Schafer has 50 times more Twitter followers. These factors naturally resulted in more initial cash. I'm guessing Fargo's project will be more of a slow and steady burner. And I do really think many of you here underestimate the amount of gamers who miss classical CRPG's (even if they play the modern stuff).

grotsnik

Arcane
I just bought a fucking flat. I hope Wasteland 2 is worth two years with no furniture. Will contribute towards statue when I can!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
60$ for DoubleFine, 65$ for Wasteland 2 and 50$ for Codex statue. I vote monocle for the statue.

I don't think Wasteland 2 will raise as much as DoubleFine, but +1 mil $ will become a reality in the next 1 week. And Fargo mentioned that if they only get 800.000$, he will put himself 100.000$. Currently at 285.000$, in reality 30% of the thing is funded.

PS. just for accuracy:
285.000$ means that 31.11% of the project was funded by now
+ 100.000$ of Fargo, means 42%
+ 5.000 from codex, means 43%
in other words, this funding cannot fail.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I was planning to back the project with $30, but I donated $20 to the Codex statue and maybe settle for the $15 edition.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I gave 15$ to Tim Schafer,15$ to Wasteland 2 and now donated 10$ to the Codex Statue.

Not a bad day's work

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I'm not so sure...I've played both, and read every Fargo interview, and the way he is teasing the Fallout fans, I think the combat system will be closer to Fallout Tactics than to Jagged Alliance. And even if hard, it should be possible to solo.

He is teasing, but the fact is that, the game is called 'Wasteland 2' and not 'Fallout 4'. This should give a MASSIVE hint that the basics are of Wastelands basics and not Fallouts, he would get even sued by Bethesda if he would use something from Fallout.

The only thing similair to Fallout is the post apocalyptic setting and the walking on map,,, Wasteland doesn't even have the 50's post apo setting, so we won't see cool stuff like Fallouts crazy energy weapons, robots etc. Wasteland will be more 'down to earth'.

Hope Fargo got an ace up his sleeve or this game gonna be just a JA/xcom combat (or not even sure about this as game gonna be a top down game) + walking on map.

The lack of info is disturbing and everyone jumping on the 'RPG REBIRTH INCLUINEEEEEEEE' wagon should hold up some or they gonna be gravely dissapointed if they will find out that Wasteland 2 has WoW gfx and depth of a facebook game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No. Schafer's project started off at a better time of the day when US media was awake and Schafer has 50 times more Twitter followers. These factors naturally resulted in more initial cash. I'm guessing Fargo's project will be more of a slow and steady burner.
Yeah that makes sense. Actually I have no idea what time is it in the US. :D It is 10.30pm in Hungary. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow morning I will se 500K. :D

Gregz

Arcane
Only 8/10 Statue slots remain :eek: , and it may be down to 5/10 or less in a few days as word spreads.

If you don't care about your reward(s), please consider retracting from Kickstarter and donating here so the Codex can reserve a 5k slot before they are taken.

(from the front page):

Codexian Wasteland 2 Location + Statue Fund-Raising Drive

UPDATE: In time-honoured Codexian tradition, we need to make the developers regret this support this project. So, if we (that is, the Codex) can raise $5,000 before this offer expires (34 days to go), we'll donate all monies raised to the project with the intent on getting an appropriately Codexian location in Wasteland 2 - with a statue built in our honour! Simply donate to the Codex (button top-right) during the next month and let us know it's for Wasteland 2¹ (To make it easier, all donations this month will be taken for the project unless stated otherwise in the donation).

:rpgcodex:
Imagine a statue of this in Wasteland 2!

Suggest ideas for an appropriate :obviously: Codexian location in this thread. We'll sort something out as to what exactly that should be. The 30 digital copies will go to those who donate the most towards this prestigious endeavour - or we'll hold them for competitions and prizes maybe? If we raise less than $5,000 in time, we'll donate whatever money was raised and try and get the best reward we can. If we raise more, we might go for more digital copies or something who knows!?

We'll also throw in a months ad-free Codex for you for every $5 you donate (be sure to leave us your account name when you donate¹).

¹On the page with the "Submit donation" (or whatever) from PayPal, there is a small "+" sign that, if you click it, expands into a text entry box where you can type a note to the donation recipient.

If for some reason you forgot to indicate your donation was towards the statue, do what is usually done in this case: PM TALUNTAIN with your last donation information (PayPal email, date of donation and donation sum) and ask him to ADD THAT TO THE STATUE FUND!!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
If they are able to get over the 1.5 million mark it would be nice if they could include a construction set. Oh so very nice.

Stabwound

Arcane
60$ for DoubleFine, 65$ for Wasteland 2 and 50$ for Codex statue. I vote monocle for the statue.

I don't think Wasteland 2 will raise as much as DoubleFine, but +1 mil $ will become a reality in the next 1 week. And Fargo mentioned that if they only get 800.000$, he will put himself 100.000$. Currently at 285.000$, in reality 30% of the thing is funded.

PS. just for accuracy:
As far as I know, what Fargo originally meant was that they wanted $1,000,000 on Kickstarter, but dropped it to $900,000 instead.

Then Fargo will add another $100,000 outside of Kickstarter if it doesn't hit $1 million. It wouldn't make sense for him to put his own money into Kickstarter since they take 5% off the top and Amazon takes 5% for processing fees.

So the Kickstarter really needs to hit $900,000 on its own or he doesn't get a penny of it.

No. Schafer's project started off at a better time of the day when US media was awake and Schafer has 50 times more Twitter followers. These factors naturally resulted in more initial cash. I'm guessing Fargo's project will be more of a slow and steady burner.
Yeah that makes sense. Actually I have no idea what time is it in the US. :D It is 10.30pm in Hungary. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow morning I will se 500K. :D
-6 hours
So east coast is close to 4:30 pm
Right?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Time to throw some dorra for glorious statue :salute:

The sacrifices one must make for prestige :(

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And who's saying that that would be a bad thing? If they manage to pull of JA2-quality combat in a post-apocalyptic setting and more non-combat-related content compared to JA2, then it would be the best thing that happened to computer games in a long, long time.

MMXI

Arcane

PS. just for accuracy:
What? No. The $100,000 from Brian Fargo is already discounted. This project will cost $1,000,000 not $900,000. You can't just take off another $100,000 and expect Fargo to pay $200,000 himself.

Wasteland doesn't even have the 50's post apo setting, so we won't see cool stuff like Fallouts crazy energy weapons, robots etc. Wasteland will be more 'down to earth'.
Have you played Wasteland?

bussinrounds

Augur
Pledged 50$. And trying to spread the word on other sites. :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom