Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #23: Gameplay Video!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
The text based branching dialogue system?

Indeed. My issue is that no matter how witty and imaginative the dialogue writers are, most times you inevitably end up with varying degrees of this:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-23-gameplay-video.80413/page-10#post-2488179

PS:T is, from what I remember, one of the only exceptions but I really wouldn't want this game to read like PS:T so of course I'm not bothered. Fallout's PC dialogue made me laugh many times but also fell into that same trap. I just don't think it's necessary to have the player characters have established dialogue. I'm far more interested in what the NPCs have to say.

I can see why many of you don't like this but I am surprised there aren't more who aren't bothered by it.

EG

Nullified
It's not your mouth. It's your characters' mouth.

Same goddamn difference and you know that's what I meant.

No, I'm starting to get the impression some of you don't want to play a character, you want to play yourselves. The difference is one can be accounted for by the writing staff, the other can't.

Mind, this isn't an impression I've gotten from you, Twinkie, but one can never be too careful.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can see why many of you don't like this but I am surprised there aren't more who aren't bothered by it.
People who aren't bothered by something usually don't take the time to post about it. It looks like the reaction to the video as a whole has been positive around these parts.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
No, I'm starting to get the impression some of you don't want to play a character, you want to play yourselves.

Well, I don't know. I don't think so. 'Least not the way I see it. I liken it more to the difference between character creation and selecting pre-made characters. Having only keywords is obviously an extreme, but it really doesn't bother me. I prefer that sort of vague ambiguity over "You are Geralt!" type RPGs anyway.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Why is everyone butthurt about keywords? Their implementation (from my understanding) is functionally the same thing as a typical dialogue tree, correct?
It's ruining their immurshan. They can't see the Fear in the Ork's Eye when their dialog isn't spelled out for them.
Not the same and you know that.

Well written dialogue lines are always better than dry keywords and they add quite a lot to the atmosphere and feeling of having a proper conversation. The keywords have one advantage and so far it's not being used. A complex keyword system can offer what written lines can't - flexibility and a large number of different options and tones.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's being used here as an abstraction to account for the whole party being part of the conversation.

It also offers a 2nd advantage, which they do use, entering your own keywords which you've figured out to get more info or easter eggs.

EG

Nullified
It's being used here as an abstraction to account for the whole party being part of the conversation.

As opposed to playing the "leader" of a party, or being able to select one of the characters to enter dialog at some point.

That is to say, "abstraction to account for the whole party" is a mere crutch.

IIt also offers a 2nd advantage, which they do use, entering your own keywords which you've figured out to get more info or easter eggs.
One doesn't cancel out the other.

tuluse

Arcane
All true. Keywords aren't the "best" system that's ever been devised. I think in this context they're perfectly acceptable though.

Captain Shrek

All true. Keywords aren't the "best" system that's ever been devised. I think in this context they're perfectly acceptable though.

So back to my question. Why go for acceptable when a better solution is available?

EG

Nullified
The fact that it was like that in the original.

The fuck does this have to do with peoples' expectations?

People expect things to be like they are in the original. To change that vision to comply with the original is mandatory, particularly if it complies with the original. Error.

I believe VD was going for some sort of word play based on the additions to combat, that weren't a part of the original Wasteland.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
So back to my question. Why go for acceptable when a better solution is available?

Budget? Time? Resources? Putting energy and effort into more rewarding or important areas?

I believe VD was going for some sort of word play based on the additions to combat, that weren't a part of the original Wasteland.

So? That has nothing to do with the point of the statement I was making.

tuluse

Arcane

I wonder why anyone would do this. Like why would I drive a VW Golf when Ferraris are available? It just doesn't make any sense.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I actually like the keyword systems, but I hoped to see something more interesting and complex than what we saw in the video.

Vault Dweller

Developer

I wonder why anyone would do this. Like why would I drive a VW Golf, when Ferraris are available? It just doesn't make any sense.
Again, not the same. I don't think it's about money at all. For a good writer - and Fargo has quite a few - it won't take much time to turn "Rangers" into a full question or statement.

tuluse

Arcane
Again, not the same. I don't think it's about money at all. For a good writer - and Fargo has quite a few - it won't take much time to turn "Rangers" into a full question or statement.
Well this goes back to the abstraction like I said earlier. By having just keywords listed, they avoid Biowarian choices while still letting people larp the dialog to their heart's content. It's a cheap and effective method.

Captain Shrek

Well this goes back to the abstraction like I said earlier. By having just keywords listed, they avoid Biowarian choices while still letting people larp the dialog to their heart's content. It's a cheap and effective method.
Biowarian choice IS the anathema to the branching they are doing anyway. They just need to expand the Keywords into flavored sentences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom