Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deep Silver acts just like a publisher in this, with the exception of digital sales.
No, they don't. Publisher usually gets all the profits from the game.

In 2011, digital sales made up 80% of PC games sales. Now take in consideration that this change happened in a drastic curve upwards, and it's now 2013. What could it be at today? 85? 90? More?
How many of these sales are full price and how many -75% discounts?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo bought back the Wasteland trademark (permission to make a game called "Wasteland"), but his ability to create a game set in the world of the first game, with the same names, characters and references, is entirely due to the unexpected generosity of an unnamed EA executive.
Source?

Wikipedia is a bit vague saying 'Brian Fargo, acquired the rights to Wasteland from Konami'. I don't have access to the IGN archive to check their source.

The rights in question are the trademark: http://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Wasteland_2_FAQ

EA still own the rights and intellectual property of the first game, which is why inXile can't sell it. Brother None can confirm.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I will say one thing though: You reap as you sow. While I believe anyone claiming the deal with Deep Silver is breach of anything said during the Kickstarter to be utterly wrong, Fargo is to blame himself for the fact that people jump the gun on this one. If you preach that all publishers are evil, people rightly raise their brow when you start making distribution deals. With more foresight, Fargo would have written some kind of distribution-disclaimer back then that he could re-quote now to prove to everyone that he hasn't flip-flopped on anything.

Ok
http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2012-09-27-brian-fargo-von-wasteland-zu-wasteland-2?page=2
Eurogamer: The funding of Wasteland 2 proved to be a great success. What does this mean for your and inXile's future regarding the possibility of working with a big publisher again?

Brian Fargo: I have been pretty vocal in my goal of building a standalone company that produces RPG's again. I love every part of this process and I hope I am able to continue doing this for many years. Most every developer wants the creative and financial control of a company like Valve. However there will be times in which we may do business with a publisher but that is different than being financed and produced by a publisher. For example we may want to support XBOX someday in which case we have no choice but to use a publihser's distribution to gain access.

PS: Xbox is a p extreme example but you do need a publisher to get on XBLA, inXile has had to do that before for Choplifter HD, so it's an example Brian has experience with.

I meant in the actual written pitch (FAQ or something). Nothing in that quote surprises me, however, though it may surprise Zed.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I will say one thing though: You reap as you sow. While I believe anyone claiming the deal with Deep Silver is breach of anything said during the Kickstarter to be utterly wrong, Fargo is to blame himself for the fact that people jump the gun on this one. If you preach that all publishers are evil, people rightly raise their brow when you start making distribution deals. With more foresight, Fargo would have written some kind of distribution-disclaimer back then that he could re-quote now to prove to everyone that he hasn't flip-flopped on anything.

Ok
http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2012-09-27-brian-fargo-von-wasteland-zu-wasteland-2?page=2
Eurogamer: The funding of Wasteland 2 proved to be a great success. What does this mean for your and inXile's future regarding the possibility of working with a big publisher again?

Brian Fargo: I have been pretty vocal in my goal of building a standalone company that produces RPG's again. I love every part of this process and I hope I am able to continue doing this for many years. Most every developer wants the creative and financial control of a company like Valve. However there will be times in which we may do business with a publisher but that is different than being financed and produced by a publisher. For example we may want to support XBOX someday in which case we have no choice but to use a publihser's distribution to gain access.

PS: Xbox is a p extreme example but you do need a publisher to get on XBLA, inXile has had to do that before for Choplifter HD, so it's an example Brian has experience with.

OMG WASTELAND 2 IS GETTING A CONSOLE PORT!!!!!111!!!1!!1!!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fargo owns the Trademark, EA the IP.
I doubt holding the intellectual property to a setting like WL is easy, how can you own rights on things like Arizona, California, Vegas, Desert Rangers, etc. Might be different if it was a pure fiction world.
You can't have any of the characters from the previous game, you can't reference it either. And while it's true that "PA setting in the Arizona" is not trademarkable anything they would come up with would probably be too close to EA's IP for comfort - remember EA has enough money to burn on lawyers that they can destroy you just by filing a suit, even if they lose, just by making the process so long that you aren't able to afford it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The rights in question are the trademark: http://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Wasteland_2_FAQ

EA still own the rights and intellectual property of the first game, which is why inXile can't sell it. Brother None can confirm.

But would inXile then be able to offer this?:
Will the Wasteland 2 package include the first Wasteland as well?
Yes, the original Wasteland will be released bundled with Wasteland 2, per a press release from Brian Fargo on July 10th 2012.
Hopefully Brother None will shed some light on this crucial issue. ;)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone pretending Fargo didn't purposely deceive us is a fanboy or a troll.

Anyone pretending Fargo purposely deceived us is a shitposter or a troll.

With pretentious insults out of the way, do you think there's room for some kind of discussion now, or..?

Dude, he's clearly "shielding" us from the realities of the situation. You don't think so?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

With pretentious insults out of the way, do you think there's room for some kind of discussion now, or..?

Dude, he's clearly "shielding" us from the realities of the situation. You don't think so?

You're trolling me again, aren't you? Why do you always pick me? :(

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I love reading threads at tymes like this

DuleHill-popcorn.gif

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yes.

Yes, the original Wasteland will be released bundled with Wasteland 2, per a press release from Brian Fargo on July 10th 2012.

That is also a deal with EA. EA allowed us to use the Wasteland IP though inXile doesn't own it (inXile owns the Wasteland and Desert Rangers marks, nothing more) and is allowing us to bundle Wasteland with Wasteland 2 (but not sell it standalone).

boltrek

Literate
They should definitely look into buying the IP from EA just to be safe. That's like leaving your soul with the Devil and hoping he doesn't do anything tricky

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Yes.

That is also a deal with EA. EA allowed us to use the Wasteland IP though inXile doesn't own it (inXile owns the Wasteland and Desert Rangers marks, nothing more) and is allowing us to bundle Wasteland with Wasteland 2 (but not sell it standalone).
Thanks for the clarification.

This makes me sad, because it may mean no Wasteland 3 for another 25 years, if EA decides they want too much money, or something. :(

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
Brian Fargo bought back the Wasteland trademark (permission to make a game called "Wasteland"), but his ability to create a game set in the world of the first game, with the same names, characters and references, is entirely due to the unexpected generosity of an unnamed EA executive.
Source?

Wikipedia is a bit vague saying 'Brian Fargo, acquired the rights to Wasteland from Konami'. I don't have access to the IGN archive to check their source.

You are wrong in assuming that trademark can NOT automatically imply intellectual property right to the content of the game. Copyright DOES NOT PROTECT the subsequent use of the property established in one product into other. It only protects the current product against unauthorized duplication. Trademark actually has the real domain over the repeated but not replicated use of property.

Well EA can't really do anything at this stage or they would be in breach of contract....
They do NOT need to buy "IP" (what does that even mean). They would only want to buy the copyright IFF they wanted to sell WASTELAND 1.

Branm

Learned
They should definitely look into buying the IP from EA just to be safe. That's like leaving your soul with the Devil and hoping he doesn't do anything tricky

Well EA can't really do anything at this stage or they would be in breach of contract....

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Let me ask you this: What about this is different from their deal with Steam (who gets the exact same thing as Deep Silver: a cut of the profits). Why didn't you rage like this when you found out Steam would digitally distribute Wasteland 2?
The difference is that Steam is a necessity because of their large share of digital PC games sales. Steam is not a publisher. Deep Silver is a publisher. The digital platform is where the bread and butter is. The physical platform is nearly nonexistent.

You don't think Deep Silver has, and will, follow the business practices that Fargo campaigned against? It doesn't matter what Deep Silver's role is in this specific instance. They are game publishers. This gives them business to support the stuff we're against in other instances. Or do you think Deep Silver are saints? Or whatever the fuck Logic Arts partnered up with.

There's a difference between distribution and publishing. Deep Silver (koch media) does both, regardless of this case.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
The issue here is that the game was ready but held back, despite the commitment to the backers, because of a last-minute deal with a publisher.

Those two months of waiting really hurt everyone. Principles for the sake of principles is stupidity indeed.
It was a bad way to handle things and you damn well know it.

I have never denied that their communication sucked ass as you well remember (in fact I believe I was one of the first to criticize this). I have only ever refused to ackknowledge that there were any other problems than communication.
I hope you understand that other people may have different opinions on the subject, opinions they can and did back with valid arguments you chose to ignore.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which still surprises me to this day.... must have been done right after their "Worst company ever" designation and they thought this would help mitigate that image somewhat.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This makes me sad, because it may mean no Wasteland 3 for another 25 years, if EA decides they want too much money, or something. :(

I doubt it. They didn't get any money in the deal to use WL1 IP in WL2, and all the new stuff from WL2 will be inXile's, plus inXile owns the desert rangers mark. In the unlikely event EA starts suddenly caring around WL3, we'll just shrug and go "ok, then we won't use WL1 IP". At that stage that'll really just be a handful of locations and maybe enemy types.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You're trolling me again, aren't you? Why do you always pick me? :(

Goddammit.

:hug:

:martini:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Deep Silver acts just like a publisher in this, with the exception of digital sales.
No, they don't. Publisher usually gets all the profits from the game.

In 2011, digital sales made up 80% of PC games sales. Now take in consideration that this change happened in a drastic curve upwards, and it's now 2013. What could it be at today? 85? 90? More?
How many of these sales are full price and how many -75% discounts?
We don't know the share deep silver will get from the physical boxes.

Probably a lot of cheap sales. This only strengthens my point since the article is based on dollar profits, not sales numbers.

Dexter

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you'll see Larian signing various distribution deals, for distribution outside their home turf in Western Europe. Potatos want their Divinity boxes too.

Just be glad inXile didn't sign a distribution deal with EA, AKA the legal owners of the Wasteland IP. :smug:
They didn't? :smug:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/EA-O...n-on-Origin-to-Kickstarter-Games-270907.shtml

I believe it is one of the very first things they did:
"I have had a long relationship with EA and it is great to see them recognize and support the crowd-funded games model," said inXile CEO Brian Fargo. "Having Origin waive their distribution fees for 90 days for fan funded games is a major economic bonus for small developers. We look forward to bringing Wasteland 2 to the Origin audience.”

Also regarding Larian, this might be a good article to read (sorry if it was posted before): http://www.lar.net/2012/01/29/should-indie-developers-invest-in-boxes/

Should indie developers invest in boxes?

Posted on January 29, 2012 by Lar

A sequence of things that happened this week made me realize that something that seems over-obvious to me, may in fact not be so obvious to others in the same position. It’s all to do with how independent developers look at retail, or rather, how they don’t look at it.

Is it really that stupid to make sure your games can be seen by anybody who enters a shop ?
Here’s what happened:
Wednesday evening I get a mail from Tom @ Evolve PR telling me
“Ehhh… this little post from RPS has a lot of comments from people going, “what the hell?” — obviously I would also agree that digital is probably the best way for indies to get big numbers these days, but yeah… might be worth hopping in and commenting a little bit?”
So I go look, expecting the interview to be online but to my surprise it’s a teaser with the header “retail important to indie PC studios”. My initial reaction is something along the lines of – yeah, so what – that’s not particularly interesting – but then I check the comments section, and to my surprise people are actually debating the very point.
Next, in an email discussion with a fellow friendly developer, Sergei, our enigmatic publishing director, proposes hooking up said developer with an excellent local distributor. To our surprise, the developer’s reaction is lukewarm, saying that he prefers his German publisher to deal with all aspects of retail distribution in Europe. When we tell him, but your German publisher doesn’t have any retail presence outside of Germany, he tells us, yeah, but he’ll make a deal with others and then he’ll pay me royalties – it’s a lot of easier for us that way.
We obviously go silent at that – why would he prefer a cut from a cut instead of going direct? It’s not like the German publisher could force him to accept a European deal in return for financing the game – he’s self-funded, and made plenty of money from his previous game.
Then I do an interview with Gamesindustry.biz and again, the interviewer expresses surprise at the fact that we’re trying to get our game in retail, and we spend quite some time discussing that particular bit.
So I started wondering, am I missing something here?
Larian’s distribution strategy can be summarized as follows, sorted by how we prefer a sale to be made.
  • 1. Direct Sales – Via Larian Vault & forums. Full control, largest margin, allows direct contact with our players.
  • 2. Steam – Reliable, report on time, pay on time and regularly, are very developer friendly
  • 3. Other digital sales – Easier than retail, monthly payments, you occasionally ned to yell a bit to get your money.
  • 4. Retail in key markets – It’s possible to work with civilized companies that are ok, even if they are stressing for the moment.
  • 5. Retail sales in non-key markets – Need to work with either finished goods deals, so sales/messaging can be controlled – be damned sure about who you are dealing with.
It’s true that points 4 & 5 can be interesting from time to time, so we have some key rules in place to avoid future frustration
  • Work with publishers/distributors that have direct access to retail in their territory.
  • Ensure that numbers we expect are feasible within their market,
  • Make sure there’s incentive for them to push our games.
  • Make sure sell-through can be controlled and offer reasonable return/price protection policies.
  • Make sure PR & Marketing are cooperative efforts with the option of taking the lead if necessary
It’s no rocket science, and I can’t figure out why you wouldn’t want to do retail, even if you prefer direct or digital sales.
The only real reason I can think of is the fear that the margins might be lower. So I did some calculations.
The numbers I’ve seen from my own games but also other games show that 70% of digital sales are made via promotions where reductions between 30% to 75% or even more are offered to players. That clearly impacts the average revenue per unit in digital (though for players it’s great
icon_wink.gif
)
Retail has the same thing, they call it price protection and obviously you also have to deal with returns, but all in all it’s a lot less elastic than digital.
Comparing the two, I ultimately arrived at the conclusion that in today’s market you end up with a net per unit in retail being approximately 70% of net per unit digitally. Or in other words, you need to sell 3 units in retail to get the same money you’d get from 2 units digitally. That’s clearly a difference, but it’s not that significant that you can say, retail isn’t worth it.
Unless, that is, the retail audience is the same as the digital audience.
Now, I don’t have numbers on that, but anecdotic evidence, together with the observation that even Valve still puts a lot of effort in their retail presence, leads me to believe that the overlap is not as great as press headlines would lead you to believe.
Besides there still being many other players out there that don’t like buying something digitally, you also need to factor in that broadband isn’t omnipresent yet, especially in Eastern Europe. And if you’re not in a store, you can’t reach those players. On top of that, being present in stores is also a form of marketing.
So my take is that if you’re not doing points 1 to 5 as an independent developer, you are most definitely losing revenue, revenue you can use to make better games and increase your independence. Of course, the retail margin starts eroding rapidly if your business model for being in retail is one in which you get a cut of a cut (and in some cases, of a cut)
But, given that so many people are questioning my reasoning, please take this post as an open invitation to correct me. If our strategy has a fatal flaw, I’d like to know now rather than later
icon_wink.gif

P.S.
Never in my career did I expect I was going to be defending retail as a model
icon_wink.gif
And for clarity’s sake, I’m not saying retail is the future, but it’s here now and you should use it for what it is.

Something to keep in mind with Fargo is that he is a businessman first and he will say and do absolutely everything that will bring him closer to his goal, I think I've commented on this before. xD

himmy

Arcane
Ok, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the entire distribution deal with Deep Silver and its announcement at a time like this exists only as part of a Stalinist-like plot to detract people's attention from the actual crime and breach of backers trust that is committed in this update, namely the abomination that is the "end turn" button.

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
What's so wrong with an end turn button even without the sarcasm?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom