Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, it's halfway through October, and still not a peep. If only there were a workable way to start a betting pool. Split would be October release/Nov.-Dec. release/2014 release. If I were a bookie making odds, I'd put 4:1 on October, 2:1 on November and December, and 3:1 on 2014.

...It's become clear to me that I have no idea how to make odds.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So, they lowered the price of the prints. They used to cost $500. +M
No, they never cost $500. Brian once asked on Facebook how much people would be willing to pay for them and proposed $500, but the feedback said "that's too much" so he worked on getting it lower. $320 was the sweet spot, and we have been selling it for that since day 1.

Anyone who thinks that's an unusual price should look more into the average pricing of high-quality prints. Being the Codex, you may prefer to spend your money on this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
When it comes to artwork, perceived value is everything. For practical purposes, it's just some fancy wood mash or fabric with pigment smeared all over it.

I do love that cover art, though. Still, my desire to possess and display it demands the original painting, which is out of reach since they'll probably need it in order to make more "limited" prints when Wasteland 3 rolls around. :troll: (I kid, I'm sure it's already digitized)

imweasel

So, they lowered the price of the prints. They used to cost $500. +M
No, they never cost $500. Brian once asked on Facebook how much people would be willing to pay for them and proposed $500, but the feedback said "that's too much" so he worked on getting it lower. $320 was the sweet spot, and we have been selling it for that since day 1.
Ah, ok. My bad.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Anyone here only pledged through codex fundraiser (and receiving a key with it), but is curious about the beta. Just wondering if someone has tried to upgrade to gain beta access? Asked about it via Facebook a couple of months a go, and they pointed me forward to support, but forgot to do anything about it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So you want to buy a beta access to a game you have not purchased?
Because there has never been an early access before ?
Kickstarter pricing works different. Beta access is always a part of higher tiers ($55 and up for early backers for WL2, which is more than 10K people) or an add-on. That pricing logic is again evinced by how Kickstarted Planetary Annihilation transitioned to early access here.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Frankly, this is exactly how I'd expect someone to react to that price point for what is, in the modern view, a niche indie game they've never heard of until recently.

Also, Planetary Annihilation in an RTS, a genre that hasn't died yet, so it's not directly comparable. The stir that that $90 Steam price point caused was pretty damned funny, though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Frankly, this is exactly how I'd expect someone to react to that price for what is, in the modern view, a niche indie game and one they've never heard of.

Also, Planetary Annihilation in an RTS, a genre that hasn't died yet, so it's not directly comparable. The stir that that $90 Steam price point caused was pretty damned funny, though.
There was a lot of guff on the forums about Planetary Annihilation's Early Access pricing, but it's also consistently been among Steam's top sellers. This seems to be one of those the noise and the signal things.

So in essence I'd pay full price for to-be-finished game and be a 'beta tester' ;).
Well, keep in mind initial Kickstarter backers paid $15 for the digital copy, and even the current listed late backer price is not necessarily the final full price. But yes, beta access is something you pay to get. Or you don't.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
So in essence I'd pay full price for to-be-finished game and be a 'beta tester' ;).

I wonder if beta tester in the 90's were actualy being paid for their work ?
What kickstarter's mid-tiers backers receive in one box as an additional bonus for their support, now you have to buy separately. It's just that simple. If you want inXile to receive additional finance for the development of W2 or for bottles of 200$ whiskey (nevah forget!) you may want to buy a beta-access or upgrade to box version.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reminder that the beta won't even be the full game, but only a piece of it, just like I said it'd be. Something to keep in mind if one is considering paying just for beta access.

Basically a glorified buggy demo that you have to pay extra to play.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminder that the beta won't even be the full game, but only a piece of it, just like I said it'd be. Something to keep in mind if one is considering paying just for beta access.

Basically a glorified buggy demo that you have to pay extra to play.

On the flip side, you get to know first-hand how shitty the game is before everyone else. What Codexer could resist?

drae

Augur
On the flip side, you get to know first-hand how shitty the game is before everyone else. What Codexer could resist?

Yes, imagine all the brofists that knowledge could net you. Don't think of it as buying a buggy, incomplete mess, think of it as an easy way to obtain valuable Codex street cred.

What could possibly be more important?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of testers for games back then were kids...like Chris Keenan, lead designer of Wasteland 2, who began his career at Interplay at the tender age of 15.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Yes, imagine all the brofists that knowledge could net you. Don't think of it as buying a buggy, incomplete mess, think of it as an easy way to obtain valuable Codex street cred.

What could possibly be more important?

Quite an investment...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So you want to buy a beta access to a game you have not purchased?
Because there has never been an early access before ?
Kickstarter pricing works different. Beta access is always a part of higher tiers ($55 and up for early backers for WL2, which is more than 10K people) or an add-on. That pricing logic is again evinced by how Kickstarted Planetary Annihilation transitioned to early access here.
I don't get why people can't understand that. Backers payed 55 dollars for a beta access, and now people want the devs to screw those guys over, and sell an early access for 20 dollars, just because every game on early access costs that much? Logic, where are you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom