Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well you can continue to travel even if you do run out of water... You will just die after a while. Ofc we dont know how its balanced but im happy overall with what i read.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There's a slider for people who really don't like it but it's not a particularly finnicky/clumsy mechanic in my experience. Just one of those "don't be a dumbass or you'll probably die" things (on normal).

So, when do those who have Early Access listed on backed tier actually get early access? (bit confused is there an open beta later or same same?)
There is one backer beta aka "early access beta" which we're getting close to now. That's what all eligible backers get, right now it's just internal/small group testing as the final phase before that. Otherwise it all goes out to all backers in one batch.

PS: I feel pretty.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I seriously hope shihonage is trolling. "Divided fanbase", really? The same fanbase that's divided about the time limit in Fallout? About the spirit meter in MotB? Fuck those losers.

Outside of RTS games, I don't like unnecessary timers that constantly deplete resources. Games where you need to "eat or drink" and get punished for not doing so. All Fallout games to this point survived without this mechanic just fine, and FO:NV made it optional.

They say there's an "easy" travel mode, but it sounds like a general "modern gamer appeal" switch, with reduced encounter challenges, and "signposts and hints" suddenly appearing on the map. Throwing baby out with the bathwater.

Lhynn

Arcane
im not against some team resource managment, but i hope they dont come with a retarded limitation like not being able to carry more water by sacrificing space.
They wrote in the update that it's based on the number of canteens you have.

Do you people even read these things?
Nowhere does it say you wont be able to aquire, craft, expand, etc your water containers.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Outside of RTS games, I don't like unnecessary timers that constantly deplete resources.

Time is a resource too, you know.

That one was justified, integral part of the first quest, and didn't extend to the entire game. Thankfully.

All Fallout games to this point survived without this mechanic just fine, and FO:NV made it optional.
Well that's great for Fallout, isn't it? +M

Did Wasteland 1 have this mechanic?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That one was justified, integral part of the first quest, and didn't extend to the entire game. Thankfully.
What about the mutant invasion?

They disabled that in the game's official patch because of the complaints of people like shihonage. The mutants will be shown to have taken over various cities in the endgame, but they'll never actually reach the Vault while you're playing.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What about the mutant invasion?

The secondary time limit was removed by a patch 16 years ago.

They disabled that in the game's official patch because of the complaints of people like shihonage. The mutants will be shown to have taken over various cities in the endgame, but they'll never actually reach the Vault while you're playing.

You have a cutscene of them invading the Vault if you choose to join the mutants. But yes, I prefer keeping strict timers out of RPGs unless they're absolutely tied to the essense of the plot. They're more of a nuisance than help, and their benefits to enhancing the gameplay are questionable.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know, but it was there originally, so you can't just pretend it was never there.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Cool update. So who's in the beta and why ain't I?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I know, but it was there originally, so you can't just pretend it was never there.

It was quickly removed by the same people who made the 1.00 release of Fallout. They decided it was for the better to have only one timed quest in the game, and give the player more time to explore afterwards. I believe it to be a rational and balanced decision.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, a poster who berated me at length for dissing Fallout turns out to hate a central tenet of its design. :greatjob:

FFS man, just deal with it. That kind of resource management used to be a central tenet of the genre. It was all good fun.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I dunno why you guys are so focused on Fallout anyway, this is a Wasteland game and Wasteland has water resource management (albeit of different types, but still).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So, a poster who berated me at length for dissing Fallout turns out to hate a central tenet of its design. :greatjob:

Yeah, a timer was a central tenet of Fallout's design. It is disappointing to see you resort to strawmen, but then again, you did so at your Fallout-bashing thread too ;) Hope you're not going to start your Fallout revisionist history all over again.

FFS man, just deal with it. That kind of resource management used to be a central tenet of the genre. It was all good fun.

I don't have to "deal" with anything. I use Internet forums to bullshit, like everyone else, and enjoy a difference of opinion, including an occasional shitstorm :bro:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Outside of RTS games, I don't like unnecessary timers that constantly deplete resources. Games where you need to "eat or drink" and get punished for not doing so. All Fallout games to this point survived without this mechanic just fine, and FO:NV made it optional.
I wish Fallout would feel like a post-apocalyptic world where you need to buy/scavenge/kill to survive, not like the PC is going for a walk in a park with free food and water dispensers.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Brother None, I think the uprezzed WL1 portrait looks way too clean. Thankfully you guys will be giving us the option to use the old portraits :)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does the overworld have traditional-style "dungeons" (mines\facilities) where you can explore and find cool stuff?

Stabwound

Arcane
The water mechanic in New Vegas was stupid because it just wasn't well implemented. From what I could tell, the best tactic was to find a random house and drink out of the sink or toilet like a dog. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that inXile are going to implement the water thing a lot better.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Outside of RTS games, I don't like unnecessary timers that constantly deplete resources.

Time itself is a resource too.
Going back to this for a moment. I'm assuming there is an unlimited amount of water in W2, and you just have to acquire it and lug it around. Whereas a timer in a game is a limited resource. So this should be a less "punishing" resource management than any timer is.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Time itself is a resource too.
Going back to this for a moment. I'm assuming there is an unlimited amount of water in W2, and you just have to acquire it and lug it around. Whereas a timer in a game is a limited resource. So this should be a less "punishing" resource management than any timer is.

Of course. The whole 'I'M RUNNING OUT OF THINGS ALL THE TIME, WHY DO YOU LIMIT MY FREEDOM, GAME??' thing is mostly psychological though - when you're constantly losing possession of a physical item, it feels more tangible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom