Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I approve of world travel difficulty settings.

And since this is SoZzy SoZ-inspired I hope loading times aren't excruciatingly long, and if long-term buffs exist in the game, they don't disappear when you go into world map mode.

The water mechanic in New Vegas was stupid because it just wasn't well implemented. From what I could tell, the best tactic was to find a random house and drink out of the sink or toilet like a dog. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that inXile are going to implement the water thing a lot better.
J-Saw improved it in JSawyer.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Of course. The whole 'I'M RUNNING OUT OF THINGS ALL THE TIME, WHY DO YOU LIMIT MY FREEDOM, GAME??' thing is mostly psychological though - when you're constantly losing possession of a physical item, it feels more tangible.
It's a really common mechanic in space games. In FTL you can get really boned on fuel with the random store placement and stocks.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The water mechanic in New Vegas was stupid because it just wasn't well implemented. From what I could tell, the best tactic was to find a random house and drink out of the sink or toilet like a dog. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that inXile are going to implement the water thing a lot better.

"You take a sip from your trusty vault 13 canteen"

Maybe they'll make it and make them as a shop items :troll:

Stabwound

Arcane
I really, really hate actual hard time limits on games like the one that was originally in Fallout, but resource management, if done correctly, is pretty fun. Any CRPG would be a lot more fun if you had to plan for excursions with a limited amount of space, instead of "buy 99 healing potions and 4000 arrows". Imagine a mission where you had to travel to a very distant and isolated location where you're told there will be very little water/food along the way. So you have to forego some equipment and weapons to make room for more water and rations for the trip. That kind of stuff would be fun if they did it properly.

Of course, it was handled horribly in New Vegas and just became a chore instead of anything that inspired thinking or planning.

Lhynn

Arcane
I dunno why you guys are so focused on Fallout anyway, this is a Wasteland game and Wasteland has water resource management (albeit of different types, but still).
Because most of us have never even played wasteland, but have played and know that fallout was inspired on it, but shhhhh, its supposed to be a secret.

Stabwound

Arcane
Not to mention the game looks far closer to Fallout than Wasteland. Hell, even the new screenshot of the overland map screen looks a lot like the one from Fallout. But shit, give me good resource management metagame and I'll be happy.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hell, even the new screenshot of the overland map screen looks a lot like the one from Fallout.

Which screen are you referring to? The actual overland looks more like post-apoc Storm of Zehir than anything else.

Stabwound

Arcane
Hell, even the new screenshot of the overland map screen looks a lot like the one from Fallout.

Which screen are you referring to? The actual overland looks more like post-apoc Storm of Zehir than anything else.
Never played Zehir but it reminded me of Fallout. I mean, maybe it looks/plays like Zehir, but it sure reminds me of Fallout in a way.

10475_500.jpg

falloutw+2012-04-23+13-20-01-68.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I wish Fallout would feel like a post-apocalyptic world where you need to buy/scavenge/kill to survive, not like the PC is going for a walk in a park with free food and water dispensers.

The need to E-eat and E-drink is venturing dangerously close to The Sims territory for me. "Hold on, I have to go to McDonalds, and then I gotta have a rat burger in-game too."

I understand the immersion appeal... kind of... but you seem to want a hybrid of "Fallout" and "Don't Starve". I'm not so sure that mixing two different genres would result in an appealing design.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The need to E-eat and E-drink is venturing dangerously close to The Sims territory for me. "Hold on, I have to go to McDonalds, and then I gotta have a rat burger in-game too."

I understand the immersion appeal... kind of... but you seem to want a hybrid of "Fallout" and "Don't Starve". I'm not so sure that mixing two different genres would result in an appealing design.
GURPS Basic Set has rules for food and water and starvation and dehydration. And it advices against ignoring them when conditions are harsh enough to make food and water matter.

Food and water simply means either investing skill points into Outdoorsman and searching for it or burning money at rate of about 30$ a day per person (or even more, taking in account the scarcity of food in post-nuclear world).

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Never played Zehir but it reminded me of Fallout. I mean, maybe it looks/plays like Zehir, but it sure reminds me of Fallout in a way.

There are two pieces of the travel experience: 1) a 2D traditional map in the style of Fallout 1/2; 2) a 3D overhead map in the style of SoZ. Each piece serves slightly different functions as you travel.

What is the counter top right of the 3D overworld map?

That particular element has been previously demonstrated (though it looked slightly different at the time).

Setting Travel Difficulty to Easy will eliminate water as a concern while travelling, but will not affect the general difficulty of the game (beyond the world map mode).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Setting Travel Difficulty to Easy will eliminate water as a concern while travelling, but will not affect the general difficulty of the game (beyond the world map mode).

It will also make "easy" everything that's related to map travel mode though. Frequency of encounters, radiation spots, show hidden markers, etc... right?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Survival systems are p. damn important for a PA CRPG, the way it's done in Wasteland 2 looks p. shallow to me but at least they are giving it some attention.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

There are two pieces of the travel experience: 1) a 2D traditional map in the style of Fallout 1/2; 2) a 3D overhead map in the style of SoZ. Each piece serves slightly different functions as you travel.

What is the counter top right of the 3D overworld map?

That particular element has been previously demonstrated (though it looked slightly different at the time).

When did you start working at InXile Monty?

Duraframe300

Arcane
There's a slider for people who really don't like it but it's not a particularly finnicky/clumsy mechanic in my experience. Just one of those "don't be a dumbass or you'll probably die" things (on normal).

Ehhhh

Hopefully that doesn't mean it won't be punishing. Otherwise it may actually be just busywork.

Saduj

Arcane
I like the water system. I would suggest making random encounters more frequent in areas where water is readily available and making it more likely that you'll find an undisturbed cache of goodies in areas where water is not available and the party must be well prepped in order to explore them. Different challenges for different areas of the map.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh it's this guy. Rosh and 1eyedking are gone but there's always cherry blossom

Argument about stealth in Wasteland 2 go go go :bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The 2D map won't have fog of war in the actual game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/633697#comments

Thomas Beekers about 14 hours ago
@Josh Moody We "fog of war"-ed it so that we could avoid spoilers for our backers.

Saduj

Arcane
This water management seems to be a pain. Unless it is linked to the ability to rest ( to avoid the so called rest spamming) it seems to be entirely pointless annoyance.

If this is has been announced, I missed the update but assuming random encounters provide XP and/or loot, water management would be a way to minimize the grinding of random encounters. Assuming water can be purchased, it can help the in game economy by draining the PC's wallet. As previously mentioned, it also incents the player to invest in a wider variety of skills. I personally think it also makes exploration more interesting and makes a lot sense in a PA setting. All that said, it does have the potential to be annoying but this is true of any game feature that is poorly implemented.

Agreed that a mechanic where weaker opponents avoid encounters with geared up rangers would make sense too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom