Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Paying to beta is... I hate it, even if we're supporting what hopes to be a great game by doing so.
It is a little weird. In my case, hell, just being on their forums for the last 18 months has given me that much entertainment value, so I was OK with chipping in a little more. I'm not too jazzed about it as a business model, though.

Seerix

Arbiter
Hey guys,

We really are getting close to putting it in your hands. What we didn't fully anticipate was how big the demo is. Backers will easily spend 6+ hours on it. That's a full game in many new releases and it's just the first half of Arizona for us. While the level guys are cleaning up issues in their areas, we also need to essentially have all game systems at a point where they are functioning well enough to give you a good idea of the games feel. It means we're going through a modified version of gold mastering a game, minus the polish and iteration time.

By modified, I don't mean we're trying to remove all bugs or make sure each element is fully polished, but there is a ton to do just to make sure it's ready. We have to take a bit more of a critical eye on how the systems work and that takes time. In development, there is so much to do. Many times you need to stick and move on features early on to get the basics in so you can start to see how they mesh together. This means you get it working, then move on. Sometimes you live with things that might be wonky but function, since there is so much else that needs to go in. These unfinished features might be confusing to someone who just picks up the game for the first time, but since we've been working on it 18+ months, we know how to fudge it to make it work. Other elements are working great (and you can see everything great in the dev console) but when you hide the console, the lack of feedback hurts that feature. We are focusing on the worst offenders in these areas and have the luxury of not being contractually tied to a specific line in the sand, and that allows us to not have to make big concessions to keep the doors open and the team paid.

As a producer, it's important to have vision of what a feature can eventually be, but to be critical of it. Have we proved the feature out enough to believe it will be good with some clean-up and iteration or do we need to scrap it and try something else? This is how much of development goes as you get diminishing returns taking something too far early on. Now we're taking all the things that generally worked and making sure they can be understood by the player.

Our goal is not to take this beta to "completion" and send it out. We want feedback once it's in your hands. I'm a huge believer in iteration and now we can get the feedback on where it would be best to spend our time during the last part of development.

Chris

Wouldn't be easier to just say: "Hey guys, beta is almost done but we're ensuring it's solid enough that majority of your feedback will be actual problems it may have, not the stuff we are aware of." They sure like to talk a lot. :roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Paying to beta is... I hate it, even if we're supporting what hopes to be a great game by doing so.

You'd better get used to it. Every Codex-approved classic in the foreseeable future is going to do this.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I actually upgraded to beta access just for something to play after exams. Looks like it was a bit of a waste of money though because I doubt it will be coming until Jan/Feb (maybe even March) next year now ... oh well (and no, I don't want a refund).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually upgraded to beta access just for something to play after exams. Looks like it was a bit of a waste of money though because I doubt it will be coming until Jan/Feb (maybe even March) next year now ... oh well (and no, I don't want a refund).
Beta? Nah. I predict a couple weeks at most. :crystal ball emoticon:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
From what I gathered they want to hold off until it's more like a real beta. I kind of get the feeling they're not at beta stage yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, they're at beta stage I'm pretty sure. I get the feeling they want to be in a "beta demo" stage (somewhere between beta and post-release playable demo)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
WL2 wallpapers from WL1 rerelease goodies:

igKWWjul.png
9U91ZjRl.jpg
ckLtQU7l.jpg
0pFPnIcl.jpg
c7Qlfchl.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
It might be the same 'friends and family' style beta that they were doing a while back, when Brother None was playing the game on steam. Might have been a case of "yeah, not *quite* beta worthy yet" and gone back and done a few weeks of polishing. Now they're trying it again.

hiver

If they get anywhere near close to illustrations art level and style of those wallpapers it will be a minor miracle.

kazgar

Arcane

Ferrous85

Educated
Hi all

As promised I've taken some shots of the article in PCPowerplay. Let me know if they're too shit and I'll scan them at work tomorrow.

New UI looks good with an LCD display replacing the basketball shot clock.

Make sure you stay tuned until the end where Colin McComb makes bold statement on where InXile will be spending the windfall from Wasteland 2.

1duXq1i.jpg

9yZWLxn.jpg

S6NDOXl.jpg

ayBNHrH.jpg

fdcAyXb.jpg

51xS4YL.jpg

PzjGHuS.jpg

Also in the issue is a quick interview with the Satellite Reign's devs and a 1 pager from Swen who looks back at the launch of dragon commander (looks similar info to his blog posts). Let me know if you want the other two uploaded.

Ferrous85

Educated
Yeah sorry that one turned out crap. I don't know how to computer so I don't know how to edit the post.

Here it is again re-shot.

KNYCTqx.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom