Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hiver

Would be nice to get one single example of C&C and reactivity that isnt s simple binary example and that doesnt bloody involve someones wife who is dying and you can save her or not. Or a kid. Or a cow or a wagon.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
doesnt bloody involve someones wife who is dying and you can save her or not. Or a kid. Or a cow or a wagon.
Be realistic hiver, when have we ever seen c&c that doesn't involve a cow or a wagon?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Would be nice to get one single example of C&C and reactivity that isnt s simple binary example and that doesnt bloody involve someones wife who is dying and you can save her or not. Or a kid. Or a cow or a wagon.
Precisely. They may act as if they are sooo above BioWare as much as they want, but The Arl of Redcliffe quest in Dragon Age was a great example of C&C done right, full of ramifications and actual consequences... much more than "kill/save the waifu" or "save town A or B" that Fargo likes so much to use as poster child of W2 C&C.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Precisely. They may act as if they are sooo above BioWare as much as they want, but The Arl of Redcliffe quest in Dragon Age was a great example of C&C done right, full of ramifications and actual consequences... much more than "kill/save the waifu" or "save town A or B" that Fargo likes so much to use as poster child of W2 C&C.
yeah but dragon age has no skill checks. it's one thing choosing outcome, it's another thing creating it.

hiver

yeah but dragon age has no skill checks. it's one thing choosing outcome, it's another thing creating it.
wut?

We are talking about the complexity here. About C&C not being based on simple extreme binary choices.

Gord

Arcane
By the way, it's been a pretty long time since I played it, but I think you had e.g. a manipulation skill to use in dialogues.
And yes, the Arl Eamon quest definitely was one of the high points of the game and overall a pretty well done quests with several tie-ins to other quests and consequences from your previous actions.
Not perfect, but pretty good. I guess it just goes to show that Bioware did initially aim pretty high with DA:O, even if the overall game ended up somewhat mediocre.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bigger screenshot on Facebook:

1425478_609806722401928_409280684_o.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Choosing to save one town over another doesn't involve any skill check either.

I don't really get the DA comparisons at all though. But whatever -- the beta will come soon enough.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There are various dialog skill checks, and as Bee said, choosing which town to save has no checks whatsoever. More over, there was some nice overarching C&C, like you could ask the Mage's Circle for help if you had saved them and sided with the mages before.

I don't really get the DA comparisons at all though.
Because as much fun as it is to bash BioWare, if you are a developer and go to press saying stuff like:

They [BioWare] are creating a certain experience where you get to have 'a movie with some choice'.
McComb was frustrated that both the creations of inXile and BioWare fall into the genre category of 'roleplaying games', even though the former has mutated so far away from the latter that nowadays the two have very little in common. "I think we need to have perhaps a stricter delineation of what these things are." As one point of difference, to allow for meaningful player choice within a coherent story, both the Torment and Wasteland revivals are being built around a 'story spine'.

Then you better be doing stuff that really sets you on another level, and so far we saw nothing better than the "some choices" that BioWare movies have.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
There are various dialog skill checks, and as Bee said, choosing which town to save has no checks whatsoever.
unless, of course, you do stuff in order to save one or the other?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
unless, of course, you do stuff in order to save one or the other?
Saving them per se will probably involve various checks and stuffies, but the choice of which you'll try to save seems to be just a matter of which you visit first, from what Fargo was talking in previous updates about how you only had time to save one...

hiver

The Ui does look better then previous versions but... i really dont see how you can move those sections around in a way that it would make sense. It looks like its all made to be kept at the bottom of the screen, as it is.

The printed paper is ok visually - when seen as stationary as it is in the shot - but they should kept it inside the borders of the "typing machine" - like its a cylinder spinning inside it. As it is now... its just too big and i think it wont look very sensible in the game itself.
Plus, of course, it creates all kinds of wrong associations and questions.

Tigranes

Arcane
Every time they jiggle the ui and it does look bettr, but it never looks slick and polished, somehow... e.g. the weapon box on the lower left corner, or the colour explosion in the targeting tooltips.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Both fonts look worse, less professional.

That red crap by the raider is unreadable, what were they thinking?... again?

I think the 2nd "this attack will do x ap" is redundant considering that info is available in the bottom left corner and it's not like you'd need constant reminding. I approve of being able to get a preview of the actual damage you'll do.

hiver

Also, looks like the sniper is crouching. Didnt they say they wont implement stances?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The important thing is that it will have DOF because I wouldn't know where to focus my eyes otherwise. :troll:

hiver

also:

what are some of the best community ideas that youve incorporated into the game?

Fargo: from a Ui perspective, we put four or five iterations out to the public, honing it in. And i think the final result came out great. To the point where theres a few art elements that we put out, and somebody took it upon themselves to draw up new icons, and we liked them, and ended up purchasing them from him.
Thats all? Thats the only answer he can muster? He bought some icons?

I really, really hate how he brags about backers and feedback on one hand and then so blatantly avoids admitting anything but some superficial small crap on the other - in terrible fear to admit fans actually made some great ideas his team wasnt even close to.
Instead of embracing it.

And then the PR mantra of "we are listening"... ffs...

And no, the Ui does not look "great".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom