Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought they said crouching was in but crawling was out.
Nah. There was a burst of discussion about it for a while, and they were considering adding crouching, but I guess it was decided that it either didn't add enough to combat depth to spend dev time on, or was too fiddly. (My opinion: it would have been too fiddly.)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I thought they said crouching was in but crawling was out.
Nah. There was a burst of discussion about it for a while, and they were considering adding crouching, but I guess it was decided that it either didn't add enough to combat depth to spend dev time on, or was too fiddly. (My opinion: it would have been too fiddly.)

I think we said back then that if we do end up implementing it it would not likely be in place for the beta. That's still the case. It's not off the table necessarily, but it's not going to happen pre-beta, there's other things to focus on right now.

Also, personally I think the game looks fine. It's still not final, no, but it's made and is making leaps and bounds from where it was at earlier. The area in this screenshot is like the earliest Arizona area you hit, and aesthetically these desert-canyon locations just aren't the most interesting, I really prefer the overgrown look of the AgCenter for instance, but the variation is pretty strong here, each area you find the beta has its own little aesthetic. The graphical fidelity isn't AAA, we just really didn't spend that much on graphics, nor do I think you guys would want us to. It's not high up there in the priority list. It still looks good, in my opinion, it's got a lot of nice touches in motion too that weren't in place or not yet functioning well in the early videos.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's just interesting that stances are still on the table.

(Since I have your ear, let me just mention again that I think stances would bog down gameplay more than they're worth. (I do like the rifleman kneeling animation, though - it looks good without making me click an extra button to get him to optimal firing position.))

hiver

The problem is not in orange but in that crappy over saturated bloom thats glowing from everywhere. Even and especially from the ground and from character models.

ffs, nobody cheers for spending the money on coke and hookers? :decline:

He asked me if I could say something more colorful, and I told him we'd probably need to rent an extra donkey. Surprised he didn't put that in.
He didnt get the reference. ;)

That scene got legendary in these parts quickly too. long... loooooooooong time ago :P

Ninjerk

Arcane
One need not look farther than John Ford to see how a desert should be shot.

TheSearchersopening.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think we said back then that if we do end up implementing it it would not likely be in place for the beta. That's still the case. It's not off the table necessarily, but it's not going to happen pre-beta, there's other things to focus on right now.
Why would you add such a game-changing feature post-beta? :hmmm:

"Feature complete? What's that?" -- our good friends at ineptitude

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good question; I'd think that that would want to be tested. Maybe he meant it wouldn't be in place for beta launch.
A beta should be feature and content complete and focused on polishing/tuning but it looks like inXile doesn't care too much for the definitions of things.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Or maybe what he really meant is "no, we're not doing stances unless thousands of beta testers demand it, which they probably won't"

Good question; I'd think that that would want to be tested. Maybe he meant it wouldn't be in place for beta launch.
A beta should be feature and content complete and focused on polishing/tuning but it looks like inXile doesn't care too much for the definitions of things.

We already know PE beta won't be "content-complete" either. We are all sinners against the proper order of things

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a difference between the beta the company has, and the "public beta" they'll send to backers. Obviously neither company is going to spoiler their stories in the public betas.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We already know PE beta won't be "content-complete" either. We are all sinners against the proper order of things
When was this?

Remember when they talked about minimizing story spoilers in the beta?

Speculation: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64611-update-67-whats-in-a-game/?p=1388056

There is a difference between the beta the company has, and the "public beta" they'll send to backers. Obviously neither company is going to spoiler their stories in the public betas.

Naturally.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Speculation: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64611-update-67-whats-in-a-game/?p=1388056
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64611-update-67-whats-in-a-game/?p=1388056
Yeah I know the beta they're giving to the backers isn't the beta they themselves have, but I saw nothing there that would indicate that they don't plan on having all their features and all their content created by the time they hit that milestone.

But the beta inxile has right now, that should be feature-locked and apparently it isn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Yeah I know the beta they're giving to the backers isn't the beta they themselves have, but I saw nothing there that would indicate that they don't plan on having all their features and all their content created by the time they hit that milestone.

But the beta inxile has right now, that should be feature-locked and apparently it isn't.

I was talking about content, not features.

As for feature-completeness, well, don't make me quote Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I'll play Roguey's-advocate and say that it isn't the definition that's bothering her/him, but the fact that feature complete is there for a reason: no point in beta testing if you're going to switch important features around, necessitating an entirely new round of testing.

edit: damn you BNinja

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This smells like remains from developer/publisher relationship...

"Hey devs, I hope the game is 'content complete' now, or you'll miss the milestone and don't get paid..."
"Oh, it's 100% content complete bro! Give us dah money!"
"Kay, so what will you guys do now?"
"Ahn... add quests, dialogs and stuffies. :3"
"WHAT? But isn't it Content Complete?"
"But they are EXTRA content bro! The game already has the planned 2 quests with 5 dialog lines each, these 60 other quests are just stuff we're crunching to add as bonus, because we're such dedicated people!"

imweasel

There are only two typos in this screenshot... The beta is indeed very near.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom