Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just wanted to add that the idea that inXile could run out of money is fairly outlandish.

Three words: Steam Early Access.

Fargo could put Wasteland 2 up on Steam today and make a million dollars within 24 hours.

The fact that he hasn't already is clear indication that inXile isn't anywhere close to being strapped for cash.

coffeetable

Savant
Number of companies ran into the ground by Brian Fargo: 1
Number of companies ran into the ground by Roguey: 0

Roguey's obviously the one to listen to here guys.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm just not so sure they are up to task of providing a good overall experience, the various game elements they have shown either separately or in extended gameplay videos have been subpar to say the least. It was probably not a good idea to have released those videos, especially the last one, the gameplay shown was indeed mediocre.

Let's see how this beta is received, it will either be a magical build that they have been hoarding all along or it will be more of what we have seen, banal.

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
What? He's giddy about playing the beta. #1 fan.

tumblr_lrup76Ps271qzgvoz.jpg

imweasel

It's 1997. You show the Codex a 10 minute video of Fallout and they declare it as a shit game with boring graphics and underwhelming combat.

Codex is gonna codex.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just wanted to add that the idea that inXile could run out of money is fairly outlandish.

Three words: Steam Early Access.

Fargo could put Wasteland 2 up on Steam today and make a million dollars within 24 hours.

The fact that he hasn't already is clear indication that inXile isn't anywhere close to being strapped for cash.
Or that doing so would result in a ton of negative backlash. Not necessarily because it'd be a terrible, broken game (it could be) but because they offered beta access to backers at an increased cost and letting anyone play the beta at "just" full-game price would be fucking them over.

It's 1997. You show the Codex a 10 minute video of Fallout and they declare it as a shit game with boring graphics and underwhelming combat.

Codex is gonna codex.
Hey those death animations were pretty great.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There is probably a bug or two preventing the beta from being a 'wholesome' experience. From recent experience waiting for the Grim Dawn beta, they had a bug in the creature spawning logic that caused certain quest monsters (including the end mini-boss) to randomly not spawn, it took them quite a while to find out what was causing it.

I have a feeling that in the recent 'friends & family' test the initial feedback was "yeah, don't release it yet" - whether that be because of bugs or polish, or both (probably both).

coffeetable

Savant
I have a feeling that in the recent 'friends & family' test the initial feedback was "yeah, don't release it yet" - whether that be because of bugs or polish, or both (probably both).

Could just be that it's a bad game.

I mean the source material wasn't exactly a triumph of gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
For some reason the indoor room with the computer reminds me of the Sims....

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have adblock on for that piece of shit site, so I go in with a clear conscience.

I'm surprised he didn't ask him about how many female workers are a part of inXile, and how he should hire more to be EMPOWERING

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grayson is a pretentious fuck, that's why I don't like him. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is.

hiver

Article goes: beta release date! ... - and then its all - probably in 2,5 weeks,...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... "we are making the game togetha! - but i cant talk to those same backers except through the media like this."

and all this bad will that has been garnered over this "deal" happened just because they simply couldnt just tell people that theyre going to take more time - on time. When people asked them.

..wtf... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That gas station's come a long way since the Toy Story days.

I’m glad we’re going to get our hands on something soon, but urgh, if it isn’t feature-complete it’s not a beta, it’s an alpha.
Games are software, and in software development if you’re not feature complete you’re in alpha, buddy.
Yessssssssss.

This is looking a lot like that never-finished-fallout-game “Project Van Buren” or something like that.
Never-finished is right. :)

By the by since stealth doesn't even work, expect it to be a worthless afterthought. Fundamentally flawed, etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It has a competent project director, they have six production milestones in which to create content and features and two alpha milestones to make sure it's all in decently-working order. Then it's beta time.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has a competent project director, they have six production milestones in which to create content and features and two alpha milestones to make sure it's all in decently-working order. Then it's beta time.

And then thousands of beta testers ask for a new feature, and they get it. Boom, retroactively not feature complete. :smug:

But I believe there's a good chance it won't be feature complete even without that. We'll see.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
20 months for Wasteland 2 to get to a not quite feature complete beta.

14 months for Project Eternity, and they haven't even shown us a video of gameplay yet.

It's also plausible that they have all features implimented, but they're too broken/buggy/unbalanced to release in a public beta.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And then thousands of beta testers ask for a new feature, and they get it. Boom, retroactively not feature complete. :smug:

But I believe there's a good chance it won't be feature complete even without that. We'll see.
And they won't get it because the Saw doesn't bow to pressure and add features just because people ask for them.

If features aren't working properly come beta time they'll either extend the alpha or cut the features.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the by since stealth doesn't even work, expect it to be a worthless afterthought. Fundamentally flawed, etc.
Yeah, I'm worried about this now. :(

Superficially, Salvaging doesn't seem to be as big a deal, but on a deeper level, it does show that the game doesn't have a working economy at this time. This in turn implies the strong possibility of a lumbering, bloated inventory system. Maybe I'm just being alarmist. I hope I'm just being alarmist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom