Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

koyima

Educated

koyima
DU utterly destroyed you a couple of pages back and you spat the dummy and disappeared. Now you are back??? Aren't you busy? Don't you have games to make in Unity?

You don't understand... I was making games, that's why I'm back now. DarkUnderlord was still talking about making a Custom Engine (laughs!!!!).
Compared the situation in 2005 with today basically, said because Bioware made it's own engine ten years ago, we should do the same today. Destroyed.... I think not.

I replied to his points, did you miss that? Oh, yes I forgot, it's you, the one that cut's out the quotes and responds to the sarcasm part. All makes sense now.

No you didn't.

3 "serious" games in what? 7 years? The rest casual rubbish, like what you make. And all that VC backing you brag about? Whats the problem? With all that money, why don't serious developers use it?

No I didn't really? So you agree with him: they should make a Custom Engine, because custom engines are better, because Bioware made a custom engine when there wasn't something
on the market?

"3 "serious" games in what? 7 years?"
So show me the engine with more serious titles on it's list and I will explain again why it didn't get chosen.

EG

Nullified
koyima You've failed to read DarkUnderlord's posts correctly. Would you care to join me in COMM1510 Foundations of English tonight at 6 PM?

koyima

Educated
Click, read for a few hours. Curse at unanswered questions from months gone by.

Feels like learning Torque, actually.

"Curse at unanswered questions" - What do you expect, someone to code for you?

EG

Nullified
I expect more than 3-4 lines in a script reference and direct answers to people's queries.

Particularly if there are "1 million" bodies working on this.

The fuck is your problem?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

koyima
DU utterly destroyed you a couple of pages back and you spat the dummy and disappeared. Now you are back??? Aren't you busy? Don't you have games to make in Unity?

You don't understand... I was making games, that's why I'm back now. DarkUnderlord was still talking about making a Custom Engine (laughs!!!!).
Compared the situation in 2005 with today basically, said because Bioware made it's own engine ten years ago, we should do the same today. Destroyed.... I think not.

I replied to his points, did you miss that? Oh, yes I forgot, it's you, the one that cut's out the quotes and responds to the sarcasm part. All makes sense now.

No you didn't.

3 "serious" games in what? 7 years? The rest casual rubbish, like what you make. And all that VC backing you brag about? Whats the problem? With all that money, why don't serious developers use it?

No I didn't really? So you agree with him: they should make a Custom Engine, because custom engines are better, because Bioware made a custom engine when there wasn't something
on the market?

So show me the engine with more serious titles on it's list and I will explain again why it didn't get chosen.

lol Way to dodge the question yet again koyima.

For everyone reading, this is the question koyima won't answer:

EG

Nullified
My favorite was not the unanswered questions but I'd search for basic subjects and no one had ever even asked the questions. As a test I did the same on torque, C4 and Leadworks and there were multiple questions and answers.

That was when my last feeble hope for Unity died.

Yes. And it took a while to get around that. No more so than learning LWJGL, though . . . God help you if you decide to use a AWTCanvas so that you can by-pass Java's maximum of three mouse buttons. (LWJGL's build in input library, along with Swing, fail to detect mouse buttons above 2, inclusively. Of course, so does Java, if a flag isn't sent to AWT enabling extended mouse buttons.)

EG

Nullified
Why don't serious developers use X?

They've tied their resources in their own private, proprietary, technology Y and wouldn't dream of throwing that out, having to retrain hundreds of staff and themselves .etc

Just like asking "Why does the Government of Canada still need COBOL programmers?" (To maintain and translate ancient 80s programs into something the younglings can understand and maintain, btw. In 30 years, the same thing will happen to their lovely *new* C++ pre-millenium code, assuredly.)

EG

Nullified
Java is good in general but it just doesn't (didn't?) give you the control you need for a really slick custom GUI.
Probably would have to fall back on AWT entirely or access Windows directly through the JRI to get something that isn't too derp. It's either that or spend a few years learning every nook and cranny of Swing (or that's my guess . . . ). Not having to build the framework in C++ or fuck with Qt is pretty nice, in any case.

(Yes. Human stupidity. Particularly Boss-Separated-From-Workers stupidity . . . Truly, that is a frightful thing.)

koyima

Educated

koyima

No you didn't.

on the market?

lol Way to dodge the question yet again koyima.

For everyone reading, this is the question koyima won't answer:

Not avoiding the question, the answer is the same as every other engine not used in "serious games" as you call them (which is actually "reserved" for simulation/education titles, but anyway).
I am flattered you expect me to answer your questions, though from someone not willing to do so himself it's not such an amazing compliment, but I digress.

- Teams chose based on familiarity/experienc: if they have 10 years experience using their modified quake engine they will use that)
- Teams chose based on what has been achieved before: is there a game like ours on the market, yes, let's use that engine so at least we know it's possible.
- Some times teams don't chose for themselves: coorporate has made a 10 game deal to get a better price, live with it.
- Unity has been out for Windows since 2009, not 7 years. We all know the Mac games industry is a small one.
- The list goes on.

There is no one reason that Unity hasn't been selected to make the latest Gears of War, Uncharted etc mainly cos those guys can afford to push boundaries, that's what they sell, the best way to do that is to make technology too.

As you may already know though Unity has entered a deal with EA for multiple projects, Square Enix and a few more.

They are still a "new" product compared to Unreal for instance and especially for FPS games no-one can deny the dominance of Unreal in the industry.
That doesn't mean there aren't other contenders though. Slowly but surely Unity has become one of those, as you can see by the choice of one of your favorite developers.

EG

Nullified
Slowly but surely Unity has become Torque.

Really.

Erm. I guess.

koyima

Educated

Yeah, it had become outdated. I'm on linked-in, easier to keep up 2 date. As the site says, it's not up to date and you can find links on the
bottom (including the linked-in) and the blog etc

Direct quote from said website: "This site is being updated. Please use these links for current info."

EG

Nullified
Lies! There is no quote!

You added that just now . . . didn't you.

I know how you people work.

I'm very intelligent.

(Though, Koyami. You might want to change those links to regular text and ensure that that lovely message of de-upkeep exists on all pages, rather than the portal into said Website.

Hug?)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Lots of jibber, jabber, koyima, but no answers as usual. Your sole argument was market penetration and big backers, yet they don't have market penetration with anyone serious, after 7 years, except for hobbyists and you have no explanation for that.

FAIL.

koyima

Educated

Lots of jibber, jabber, but no answers as usual. Your sole argument was market penetration and big backers, yet they don't have market penetration with anyone serious, after 7 years, except for hobbyists and you have no explanation for that.

FAIL.
I never used the term market penetration. My first arguments, against the more obvious choices were price and ease of use. When presented with C4, I explained that C4 didn't have the projects to back up their product.
Popularity was used to explain how so many 2nd rate games have been made with it, not why it's better or why it was chosen.

EG

Nullified
Like my desire to see Drocon's work, I'd like to see what games you've worked on / are working on.

I've shown you mine. :(

koyima

Educated
Lies! There is no quote!

You added that just now . . . didn't you.

I know how you people work.

I'm very intelligent.

(Though, Koyami. You might want to change those links to regular text and ensure that that lovely message of de-upkeep exists on all pages, rather than the portal into said Website.

Hug?)

Yep, you are right. I have stopped passing along that llink though until I have some time to make a decent website... I use the darkopolis one (the name has to do with how the company
started, I know it's crap..., it stuck)

koyima

Educated
Like my desire to see Drocon's work, I'd like to see what games you've worked on / are working on.

http://www.koyima.com/blog

though the biggest game I have worked on closed down (4.5 years lost work)
and the rest I have worked on as a contractor for various clients. My location doesn't help my profession as
there is no gaming industry and it's difficult to land large projects when you are so far away.

http://www.darkopolis.com/category/demo-reel/

"Ignoring content" I think you lost. What did you lose? The game.... hahahhahahahhaha:troll:

tiagocc0

Arcane

Now that you have started it you will have to go all the way, come on man, do it! Are you a man or a codexer?
:deadhorse:

EG

Nullified
Typing game into the search engine works better than watching a video. Terrible things, videos.

http://www.darkopolis.com/2011/11/the-quest-for-gemstone-dragon-rpg/#more-159
http://www.darkopolis.com/2011/11/matchlings-iphoneipodipad-game/#more-142

. . . Fine. I'll watch the video and update this if anything else shows up.

[Post Video Recap!] Nothing specific is indicated. Time. Wasted. (Pretty graphics, and nice special effects on the teeth, though.)

tiagocc0 . . . Create a total conversion of Fallout 1 in Unity or . . . be a codexer.

Codexer. :(

koyima

Educated
Typing game into the search engine works better than watching a video. Terrible things, videos.

http://www.darkopolis.com/2011/11/the-quest-for-gemstone-dragon-rpg/#more-159
http://www.darkopolis.com/2011/11/matchlings-iphoneipodipad-game/#more-142

. . . Fine. I'll watch the video and update this if anything else shows up.

[Post Video Recap!] Nothing specific is indicated. Time. Wasted. (Pretty graphics, and nice special effects on the teeth, though.)

Go to the blog, look on the left side.

EG

Nullified
So I'd have to either google all this
pH9oJ.png

OR
Click on those links and read/watch/view something to determine if one is a game.

You're not making this easy.

Watch this. This is how we indicate something specific:

These are poorly focused photos of landscapes around my area, as well as my pets!
http://imgur.com/a/ECXUG#0

Now. Which one of those are Games, Videos, and Stills?

koyima

Educated
So I'd have to either google all this
pH9oJ.png

OR
Click on those links and read/watch/view something to determine if one is a game.

You're not making this easy.

Watch this. This is how we indicate something specific:

These are poorly focused photos of landscapes around my area, as well as my pets!
http://imgur.com/a/ECXUG#0

Now. Which one of those are Games, Videos, and Stills?
No man those are all games.

EG

Nullified
Oh. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom