Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a good nu-rpg but doesn't hold a candle to the greats.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So... I started playing this and I have no idea why the Codex opinion on this game is so "meh"?
A large portion of Codexers has yet to come to terms with Brian Fargo --- creator of the Codex's GotYs 1985, 1995, 1997, and 1998 --- regaining the hearts and minds of the Codex with Wasteland 3, Codex GotY 2020. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So... I started playing this and I have no idea why the Codex opinion on this game is so "meh"?
A large portion of Codexers has yet to come to terms with Brian Fargo --- creator of the Codex's GotYs 1985, 1995, 1997, and 1998 --- regaining the hearts and minds of the Codex with Wasteland 3, Codex GotY 2020. :M
More than anything Wasteland 3 is a George Ziets RPG. Because he resigned from inXile before it was done, he couldn't be the game's "face" in promotional videos and interviews, so it didn't really sink in.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

He is ours George Lucas.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
He is ours George Lucas.
Indeed.

vWqQGSr.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah was a good game but it it lacks staying power and replayability. I finished it, thought to myself, this was a lot of fun, and have no intention of playing it again.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Finished the game.

Overall, it's pretty darn good. The CnC are pretty good, the game has timed quest and don't fuck around about them. I lost Bizarre by my own stupidity and was the one thing that i wished i did different. The game certainly has another playthought worth of content at least, maybe two if you go for the best ending and another for Raider run.

I enjoy the game atempts to make Skill Checks not a auto win always , it doesn't happen a lot but it's nice. I thought the use of skill checks was pretty much perfect. Almost all Skill feels rewarding , even Sneak that's generaly terrible in CRPGs , can be use to great use get Sneak attack bonus or just scout rooms ahead. Builds variety doesn't come close to something like DOS2 neither Pathfinder, but there's enough to make a second run not feel boring.

The Combat is really good. Probably my favorite of any Modern CRPG. The story is nothing to amazing but it does it job well to make you continue to play imo, it gives a nice conflict but honestly, the entire game i kinda wished i went a Raider Run and take over Arizona with Cordite , there's plenty of oportunity to just go nuts during the game. About the main conflict .. Angela is just too reckless even if Patriac is a major asshole sometimes. I would say neither is good but i still take The Big Man over the Lady that straight up lies.

I can see why some people hate it, the humor can be hit or miss but i thought was WAY more tolerable than DOS2, even had a good chuckle with characters like Flab (my homie.. i failed you:negative:) , Fargo and the communist robots.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Sneak + Rocket Launcher is fucking OP.
Yeah , i had a Ranger w/ Sneak + Rocket launcher plus Draw! Perk, it was expensive af but he could drop 3 Rockets on the same turn. Late game , most fights barely lasted a turn because of him.

CoronerZg

Augur
Just finished my second playthrough. During my first one, I've stopped midway cause the game started to feel way too easy and it lost the fun because of it.
The second time I've used only 2 rangers + 1 in the HQ, just for armor and weapon modding. And it was efing HARD... but I've had a blast. I was finally forced
to use every skill, gadget and dirty trick in the book to survive. Overall the game is very solid all the way through. No complaints. Would recommend it to others.

And of course, my squad was very Lethal :smug:
Screenshot-20230720231536.png

ds

Cipher
Patron
Eh, Cult of the Holy Detonation is fine. It's different, but it's fine.
I didn't hate it as much as some people here but I wouldn't call it fine either. It's basically the run to the switch gimmick from the end of steeltown copy pasted for every encounter. So, pretty lame encounter design but also not really that much worse than the whoever-initiates-combat-wins of the base game.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked it too. Well, I finished it once and now planning a playthrough with all dlcs and I usually hate games...

Cult of the Holy Detonation might teach you to hate games again.

I hated it. I can deal with infinitely spawning enemies for the occasional boss battle, but to design an entire DLC around the idea? It was just a massive slog.

Kedar

Educated
I liked it too. Well, I finished it once and now planning a playthrough with all dlcs and I usually hate games...

Cult of the Holy Detonation might teach you to hate games again.

I hated it. I can deal with infinitely spawning enemies for the occasional boss battle, but to design an entire DLC around the idea? It was just a massive slog.
Sure, the pacing was entirely different than in any other part of the game. On the other hand, the DLC allowed you to turn a non-player-created party member into a mutant, and it was acknowledged in the ending, with a description of what that particular character's life was as a mutant.

Kedar

Educated
is there any resource management? in 2 you had to count your bullets at least if you run more than 2 AR.
Sure, there's resource management, but I don't remember having any trouble with ammo in 3 or 2. However, there's a very nice crafting system that lets you burn the junk you collected and often get unique items in return.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Here's the story of my playthrough of Wasteland 3:

After the opening, I was a little perturbed about how the tone and style of the game was too far into cartoon territory but it seemed fun enough. I then arrived at a town and this character - who I recall was a woman with a voice reminiscent of a cat having a seizure on top of a chalkboard -wanted to enter my party. I think she was acting like an old timey western cowgirl. Anyways, the game would not allow me to continue without allowing this person to join my band of grim mercenary killers, so I quit and played Wasteland 2 instead which was alright until all 12 or so of my saves corrupted (Ps4 version). The end.

CoronerZg

Augur
Yeah, it's a bit lame you're forced to take Lucia with you, but you're still the "new guy" at that point and she is a local from a powerful family, so it's fair to accept some political shit... anyway, you need her just to clear one short area and it's even fine if she dies during the mission. And that's the only time game does that. I think you should give it another try. If nothing, W3 is pretty much bug free at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom