Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
yes, I have an army,
No he doesn't. He doesn't have the people to spare which is why he sought outside help in the first place.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
the patriarch wants an outside force
Two newbs that barely survived the ambush is not a force.
Playing the game would have cleared this up for you
Cleared what? "Oh, 95% of you died in an ambush? K, here's an empty base, now get your ass and kidnap my heavily guarded children from three different locations on the map. Yeah, I know exactly where they are, yes, I have an army, resources and equipment but no, I can't do it but don't worry - you can lol". Peak story and writing, Ziets should get the Nebula instead of George Martin.
You are the representatives of an outside power who are invited by a machiavellian ruler to clean up an inconvenient political situation. I.E a force.

That you lose the majority of your convoy, and that you happen to be some junior member left in charge of upholding your end of the bargain (by among other things, rebuilding your actual fighting force), is just a convenient vehichle to have an RPG to play, you doof.

Arthandas

Prophet
No he doesn't.
Yes he does. He even blatantly states that they have zero chance of defeating him because he's so powerful.
He doesn't have the people to spare which is why he sought outside help in the first place.
And that outside help was killed.
The men he's leaving with you at the base are already a deadlier force than you lol
But no, he must rely on you for no reason, because it's a (badly written) game.
How can he help the Rangers if he can't even spare two of his own men to kidnap his offspring instead of you? Also, what kind of stupid ass story is this? The most powerful man in Colorado hires two randos to kidnap his children xD
In what reality is this a plausible premise to build your game upon?

Why didn't they just attack mordor directly instead of sending a small team, it's so stupid bro.
Did you see the intro? Attack Mordor was the actual plan and you were in a heavily armed convoy.

Acrux

Arcane
I can't believe I'm defending the W3 story, but your retarded take has forced my hand. In the beginning of the game, is less about the size of the ranger force and more that he needs an outside party who can give some appearance of being politically neutral - and that he can disavow, if needed.

Arthandas

Prophet
the game, is less about the size of the ranger force and more that he needs an outside party
Why is everyone repeating this bullshit?! It is clearly stated that he expected 50 fully fucking armed rangers with armored vehicles!
My problem is that he wanted a large force to retrieve his heavily guarded kids but all he got are two fucking greenhorns and he's totally ok with it. And the fact he's sending two randoms instead of two or three (or more) of his own trusted people is retarded.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes he does. He even blatantly states that they have zero chance of defeating him because he's so powerful.
Those people have to stay there to protect him. They're defense. He can't send them out as an offensive force.

The men he's leaving with you at the base are already a deadlier force than you lol
How can he help the Rangers if he can't even spare two of his own men to kidnap his offspring instead of you? Also, what kind of stupid ass story is this? The most powerful man in Colorado hires two randos to kidnap his children xD
He has a ton of equipment, but he doesn't have qualified people. If you played a bit longer, you'd see what happened to the last group of people he sent to spy on his daughter.

Saduj

Arcane
First of all, more than two Rangers survive the ambush. Secondly, the Patriarch doesn't enlist two Rangers to find his kids. He enlists the Desert Rangers. The Desert Rangers decide who to send on the mission.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Keep playing and you'll find truly embarrasing writing stuffs instead of this futile attempt to nitpick the very beginning lmao.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Below are some lines said by a strangely wise and knowledgeable, albeit also quite lunatic, NPC.
Wasteland 3 is chock-full of such imaginative stuff, and yet people will still say the writing (as in the whole game) is bad.
I feel there is really no accounting for taste based or biased hate then.
That, or some confuse writing with a plot.
The latter doesn't seem to be anything ground-breaking in W3, that much is true. But in the very least, it could be viewed as an okay background for understanding and effectuating the people and affairs of post-apo Colorado (it's pretty understandable how and why the Buchanan kids went crazy in such an environment).
Adventuring means going on various quests, learning about various stories, and definitely not just "experiencing the best of the best of the main narratives".
In the end, I would expect a complexity of at least two points of view (or more) from people who play games in (our) sophisticated genre and who would pose as critics of complex things such as the writing or the plot.
Sometimes, that hardly seems to be the case.

----

"You've survived here only on mushrooms?"
"...Buzzy crunchers, climby snappers, and skittery two-bites, and running gushers. Sometimes rolly poppers, and hoppy specks. Once a squirmy slurp. That was a good day, man. But, yeah, mostly mushrooms...""

"Who were those people that you saw?"
"...Gentleman Bear, the Liplicker, and, um, Bloody Screamers. Uh, and... and them Metal Fellers, and the Really White Guy, and Owl... um, Owl Face. Oh, and the six wee men and the lion...."

The whole conversation can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxNz2wxNqAs

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
No he doesn't.
He doesn't have the people to spare which is why he sought outside help in the first place.
And that outside help was killed.
In what reality is this a plausible premise to build your game upon?

Why didn't they just attack mordor directly instead of sending a small team, it's so stupid bro.
Did you see the intro? Attack Mordor was the actual plan and you were in a heavily armed convoy.

He gives you help to rebuild your team. That seems reasonable enough.

It's not bad writing, it's just that videogames are subject to these kinds of "compression" problems (like buildings being Tardis-like, etc.). If you wanted a more "realistic" version of the same story, it would be more like an RTS, but this is a small-party RPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I still wonder why no one adopts a system similar to JA 2. That was peak design that had good RT combat with a strategic layer and RPG components.
Out of scope for the kind of games inXile wants to make.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I still wonder why no one adopts a system similar to JA 2. That was peak design that had good RT combat with a strategic layer and RPG components.

Isn't it rather like the Gold Box stuff - you just had a team of very good programmers who'd never done a game before, and came to it fresh? (I might be getting this confused with another game though, that other soldiery one, Silent something).

Modron

Arcane
Isn't it rather like the Gold Box stuff - you just had a team of very good programmers who'd never done a game before, and came to it fresh? (I might be getting this confused with another game though, that other soldiery one, Silent something)
Nival had been around for at least 8 years before Silent Storm was released, heck if you sort their releases by year it's not even on the first page on mobygames. Granted I didn't look super deep at the credits so I can't say 100% this disproves your supposition.

CoronerZg

Augur
So what's the recommended difficulty? Is Supreme Jerk a must pick if I want any kind of challenge or is it made just for min/max buildtards?
Permanent death, yes? I asume yes... but I don't know what's the level or randomness in combat. Can you avoid being one-shoted with good strats?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is Supreme Jerk a must pick if I want any kind of challenge or is it made just for min/max buildtards?
Everyone who plays supreme jerk hates it. Ranger at most.

Permanent death, yes? I asume yes... but I don't know what's the level or randomness in combat. Can you avoid being one-shoted with good strats?

You might run into a random encounter that wipes a bunch of people at the beginning, but you're given multiple turns (exact amount depending on the difficulty) to revive a downed character so they don't actually die.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you avoid being one-shoted with good strats?
A character gets one shotted easily even in wastelander difficulty.
Even behind full coverage and concealed by a smoke grenade, you can't 100% avoid a squishy character to not survive next turn.
Either you kill before get a chance to shoot or hard cripple your enemies with status, or build a squad of snipers.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So what's the recommended difficulty? Is Supreme Jerk a must pick if I want any kind of challenge or is it made just for min/max buildtards?
The latter. Supreme Jerk is definitely min-max build territory, not much margin for error at all. On Ranger, you can have more rp-flavour-type builds where you can think of the character as being a survivor able to do one thing really well and a few other things quite well. At the same time, you can't completely faceroll the combat, it's still not exactly easy.

On SJ your builds have to be streamlined one-trick-ponies, otherwise you just can't punch through in time and you'll be whittled away quite quickly by superior numbers.

CoronerZg

Augur
So... I started playing this and I have no idea why the Codex opinion on this game is so "meh"? Is the late game drop-off in quality so huge?
Cause beginning of the game is genuinely great. Skill point system is good - skills are used often and feel natural and usefull, combat is fun
and the writing is not bad at all. Even the voice acting is pretty good. Audio in general is good. I'm honestly surprised on all fronts :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So... I started playing this and I have no idea why the Codex opinion on this game is so "meh"? Is the late game drop-off in quality so huge?
Cause beginning of the game is genuinely great. Skill point system is good - skills are used often and feel natural and usefull, combat is fun
and the writing is not bad at all. Even the voice acting is pretty good. Audio in general is good. I'm honestly surprised on all fronts :)
Combination of people with tastes that are narrower than a hallway in a camp of pygmy dwarves, those still bitter at inXile over Wasteland 2, Torment, and Bard's Tale IV, and those who don't enjoy games anymore but are still here out of habit.

It won goty in 2020 so overall the reception wasn't meh. :M

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Its a really good game m8, almost as good as W2 :]
Dont believe the haters

Krivol

Magister
I liked it too. Well, I finished it once and now planning a playthrough with all dlcs and I usually hate games...

Wysłane z mojego SM-A715F przy użyciu Tapatalka

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom