Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch me play a shitty game (Fallout 3) (COMPLETED!!)

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
DefJam101 said:
God, those shoulder pads...
They got too lazy to make a new mesh for bulky power armor; instead, we get guys wearing jogging suits with hunks of metal slapped on. So sad. Somebody remind me but didn't the Original Power Armor (ie. FO 1/2 power armor) actually add like a foot to your height when you wore it? Didn't it make you look big and scary?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
poocolator said:
Somebody remind me but didn't the Original Power Armor (ie. FO 1/2 power armor) actually add like a foot to your height when you wore it? Didn't it make you look big and scary?

I wouldn't say a whole foot, but it definetely made you look taller. And wider. And just generally bad-ass. F3 makes it look like a medieval suit of armour with wires and tubes. And shoulder pads.

But what's really baking my noodle: How does the BOS on the East Coast know what's been taking place on the West Coast?

Elzair

Cipher
Unkillable Cat said:
poocolator said:
Somebody remind me but didn't the Original Power Armor (ie. FO 1/2 power armor) actually add like a foot to your height when you wore it? Didn't it make you look big and scary?

I wouldn't say a whole foot, but it definetely made you look taller. And wider. And just generally bad-ass. F3 makes it look like a medieval suit of armour with wires and tubes. And shoulder pads.

But what's really baking my noodle: How does the BOS on the East Coast know what's been taking place on the West Coast?

Radio. Since Galaxy News Radio works, other radio communications must also work.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
673.jpg

0000046862_20080228140827.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Elzair said:
Unkillable Cat said:
poocolator said:

Radio. Since Galaxy News Radio works, other radio communications must also work.

Guess so. And since you can contact the Enclave in Gecko in FO2, this is probably the case.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Elzair said:

At first I thought that radio usage would be hampered by the distance, but after reading up a bit on how radios work, I can see how that is not a problem.

Guess so. And since you can contact the Enclave in Gecko in FO2, this is probably the case.

Except AFAIK, radio waves can't transmit video feed, especially live feed, even though it's one-way only. So in that particular case, something else than radio was used.

Slobbergoat

Novice
Buffout to help with his heart condition?

Like Cassidy whose heart explodes if you give him Buffout?

:decline:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
They should have made that Psycho instead. Then he won't even notice for 5 minutes when his heart stops beating.

Pliskin

Arbiter
poocolator said:
DefJam101 said:
God, those shoulder pads...
They got too lazy to make a new mesh for bulky power armor; instead, we get guys wearing jogging suits with hunks of metal slapped on. So sad. Somebody remind me but didn't the Original Power Armor (ie. FO 1/2 power armor) actually add like a foot to your height when you wore it? Didn't it make you look big and scary?

Among the many things Bethesduh dumbed down from FO1/2 was the way armor alleviated damage.

FO1 had an Armor Class, which helped you dodge the attack, then the Damage Threshold which negated damage (to a point, based on the type of damage done) before the Damage Resistance reduced it (again, based on type of damage done) by a certain percentage. Not to mention that Power Armor boosted the strength stat --- making it almost a necessity if you where playing a non-combat character and wanted to sling around those big guns. What armor you wore actually made a difference --- it wasn't just for dress-up.

Fallout 3? Damage Resistance + some random enchantments. (Oh, and it shows off yr bewbs).

Any wonder all combat in FO3 seems generic and repeatative?

DriacKin

Arbiter
I was pretty disappointed by how weak the Power Armor in F3 was. It's much heavier than regular armor and doesn't give nearly enough of an 'Armor Class' boost. It gave a few stat bonuses, but those don't really mean much in F3.

There was far too much build up (you can't equip it normally; you have to wait until you get the training from the BoS guys) and just too little payoff.
I'm just sticking with the regular 'Combat Armor' I had previously.

Pliskin said:
FO1 had an Armor Class, which helped you dodge the attack, then the Damage Threshold which negated damage (to a point, based on the type of damage done) before the Damage Resistance reduced it (again, based on type of damage done) by a certain percentage.

Except AC in Fallout never made much sense. It's a relic from highly abstract DnD combat system where it's the *only* defensive stat(well, by armor anyway). In Fallout, which has damage reductions, AC is simply out of place - is it really easier to dodge shit in a bulky suit of armor?

Emotional Vampire said:
Pliskin said:
FO1 had an Armor Class, which helped you dodge the attack, then the Damage Threshold which negated damage (to a point, based on the type of damage done) before the Damage Resistance reduced it (again, based on type of damage done) by a certain percentage.

Except AC in Fallout never made much sense. It's a relic from highly abstract DnD combat system where it's the *only* defensive stat(well, by armor anyway). In Fallout, which has damage reductions, AC is simply out of place - is it really easier to dodge shit in a bulky suit of armor?

Don't see why anyone would even try to dodge once they got Power Armor in Fallout 1.

You could walk into the Hub and kill everything that moved, and there'd be pretty much nothing anyone could do about it. *Kwa-ping* Everyone's armaments just bounce right off. Unstoppable.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Pliskin said:

It is if yr reactions are multiplied by mechanical servos --- same way yr Strength stat is increased.

Besides, I always viewed AC as an abstract of "armor toughness" --- not so much ability to dodge a bullet, as it is to keep said bullet from entering yr fleshy bits.

Though, in FO1 Leather Armor has an AC of 15, while Metal Armor has an AC of 10 --- so, I guess the dodginess thing applies there --- but, when you look at DR and DT, Metal Armor is far better than Leather.

It all works out.

DriacKin said:
I was pretty disappointed by how weak the Power Armor in F3 was. It's much heavier than regular armor and doesn't give nearly enough of an 'Armor Class' boost. It gave a few stat bonuses, but those don't really mean much in F3.

There was far too much build up (you can't equip it normally; you have to wait until you get the training from the BoS guys) and just too little payoff.
I'm just sticking with the regular 'Combat Armor' I had previously.

Yah, the power armor in FO3 is pathetically bad. The combat armor you get from Riley's Rangers is prolly the best in terms of DR vs weight.

Though, if you do the "You Gotta Shoot 'em in the Head" quest, the pay-off is the location of a suit of old-skool T-51b armor --- tho, again, Bethesduh nerfed it by not giving it a STR bonus like the other PA in the game.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Part 18 – Finding Neverland

At the end of the previous episode, we learned of a possible location for a GECK, Vault 87. However, in order to get to V87’s entrance, we have to first venture through the Lamplight Caverns...
686.jpg

This is the entrance to Lamplight Caverns.

687.jpg

Inside, we find an Oblivion style cave.

We travel through the cave until we find this dude:
688.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Who the fuck is this?

689.jpg

i3.jpg
That’s nice kid. Now, get out of our way. We need to go to Vault 87.

690.jpg

FACT: He’s talking about the giant orcs.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Dude, we can handle the Super Mutants. Just tell us where the entrance to Vault 87 is.

691.jpg

He’s talking about the entrance to V87.

i3.jpg
Why the hell are you calling us a ‘Mungo’. What the fuck is a mungo?

692.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
OK kid, that’s nice. Now, just move out of our way so we can continue with our mission.

i3.jpg
It doesn’t seem like he’s gonna let us in.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Who fuckin’ cares? He’s just a stupid kid. We’ll just beat him up and make him listen...

i3.jpg
Nope. We can’t hit kids in F3.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
:sigh:

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
OK kid, why won’t you allow us to enter this place?

693.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
And you probably want us to save them, right? :sigh:

694.jpg

FACT: He offers to let us in if we can rescue his buddies from the slavers.
We could’ve also just passed a speech check to enter Little Lamplight, but we opted to do this mission instead.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Are we really having to listen to and respect the authority of a fucking 10 year old?

i3.jpg
Exactly.

Anyway, we head over to Paradise Falls, where the kids are being kept. This place is a slaver town where only slavers (as well as slaves) are permitted to enter. Here’s the guard:
695.jpg

This dude doesn’t let us enter at first. We have 2 options, if we want to enter Paradise Falls:
1. Do a side mission where we become a slaver by kidnapping some random civilians and turn them into slaves.
2. Bribing him with 500 bottle caps.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Let’s just pay him the money and get in. I don’t feel like doing another side mission. 500 caps really isn’t that much.

i3.jpg
I agree. Also, that slaver mission is a lot more boring than it sounds.

696.jpg

This is the inside of Paradise Falls.

697.jpg

Inside, we find some slavers.

698.jpg

These are the kids we came to rescue. They’re locked up behind this fence.

699.jpg

This is the head dude around here. He also happen to be the slaver who ‘owns’ the kids.
We have 2 options for rescuing the kids:
1. Buy the kids from this dude for 2000 caps.
2. Do a series of missions to help the kids escape.

i3.jpg
Option 2 sounds more interesting . Let’s do that.

700.jpg

Meet kid #1

701.jpg

Meet kid #2. He’s only one that’s actually useful.

702.jpg

703.jpg

He tells us that we need to hack the head dude’s terminal in order to link the terminals.

704.jpg

Here’s the head dude’s terminal. We have to click ‘Update Network Connections’.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
That was pretty easy...

705.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Ugh. We have to do more stuff?

706.jpg

707.jpg

He tells us to distract him so they won’t have to worry about him.

This is the dude we have to distract:
708.jpg

709.jpg

This is enough to distract him.

i3.jpg
All we had to do is suggest he needs a raise? That was silly.

710.jpg

711.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Are you fucking kidding me? Why the hell won’t she leave?

712.jpg

713.jpg

i3.jpg
Mungos are adults, right? So, some pedophile ‘got sweet on her’, and now she doesn’t want to leave him?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
I agree. Let the fucker rot.

Anyway, we go over to Penny and talk to her ourselves.
714.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
[Speech] Dude, are you fucking kidding me?

After a speech check, we convince her to forget about Rory.
715.jpg

There’s a side-quest to help Rory escape as well. We're not gonna do that mission, 'cause this is already getting annoying as hell.

716.jpg

So, we head back to Little Lamplight, and Mayor Macready lets us in.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
What the hell is this place? Where the hell are the adults?

717.jpg

718.jpg

FACT: They kick the kids out of this city after they turn 16.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
So, this place is nothing but a bunch of kids? How the hell do you keep this place organized?

719.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Well, if there’s no organization, then how the hell did you become mayor?

720.jpg

721.jpg

i3.jpg
Whatever. We need to get to Vault 87. Do you know how to get there?

722.jpg

But...before we head there, let’s meet some of the charming residents of Little Lamplight.
723.jpg

Meet Betty.

724.jpg

725.jpg

Meet Lucy. She’s the town’s doctor.

i3.jpg
:sigh:

726.jpg

This dude owns a shop.

727.jpg

This is Princess. Apparently, there’s some stupid side quest where you can find out that she has a crush on the Mayor.

728.jpg

729.jpg

This dude is just as annoying as he sounds like he is...

But, he’s not nearly as bad as:
730.jpg

731.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Umm...ok, maybe you should give it to us, then?

732.jpg

733.jpg

Here’s the gun he gives us.

i3.jpg
:facepalm:

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
WTF Bethesda? WTF?

i3.jpg
Dude, I can’t take this shit anymore. Let’s get the fuck out of here.

So, we leave Little Lamplight, and head over to Murder’s Pass:
734.jpg

This place is filled with Super Mutants.

735.jpg

Anyway, we finally find this door. This door leads to V87.

End of Part 18.

I don't think my LP did justice to how annoying these kids really were.

Multi-headed Cow

I like how Penny's head is a completely different color from her body.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah Bethesda really improved and succeeded at capturing that Fallout spirit right there. And now tell me that this game is not for 15 years olds and/or retards.
In fact it makes me believe that Emil is just an autist which explains everything.

Multi-headed Cow

Little Lamplight would have been in Fallout 1 or 2 if they had the technology to make children immortal at the time. Why do you think they made them invisible in the european release? Fact: Because they couldn't make them unkillable.

FACT: Someone at Bethesda is in NAMBLA.

And this is a core location? I.e. something you need to fucking go through to finish the game? By all that is holy...

And in the slaver village, can't you just slaughter them all? You'd think they would at least give you this, the simpliest C&C imaginable

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom